Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Greenwood with another solid finish. He certainly has the eye for a goal. Williams also looking very good.

His gait and technique reminds me of RVP a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Why would you waste minutes on Phil fùcking Jones?

There must be some young fella you can give a run out in these situations. I fùcking hate seeing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Yep, we'll give him an 8yr contract on 400k a week and he'll turn to shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Get that Hatrick Greenwood !! It's been too long :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Pereira has shown glimpses of what he is capable of throughout this game and the season but finds it difficult to string it all together.

- individual highly technical moments
    - tenacious and high energy
    - capable of picking out teammates from distance
    - good delivery from deadball situations and from play

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

This couldn't have gone better really, only two players who will play the weekend started tonight and one of them came off on 60 mins as soon as we got the second and half the others out there are not even the b-team but the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

This couldn't have gone better really, only two players who will play the weekend started tonight and one of them came off on 60 mins as soon as we got the second and half the others out there are not even the b-team but the reserves.

Hopefully some of the performances tonight will give Olé the balls to sub/drop under-performing first team players from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Missed the first half. Good for the players to get used to winning again they played with a bit swagger and tempo in the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully get Rangers in the draw.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

First and second half, night and day.

Matic getting minutes. Only half watching. Other stuff on.

Ole smashing it with the half time team talk.

That second half couldn't have gone much better. Whatever Ole said or did at half time worked wonders. Top of the group, happy days.

It's finally entertaining to watch United now. Looking forward to the busy fixture list. Everton should be a good challenge this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

One negative from tonight...Gomes not even on the bench. I think his days at the club are numbered unfortunately.

• Happy with the result, happy with the second half squad management after an awful first half

However nothing really learned from tonight ultimately which was pretty much a dead rubber game to begin with but important to at least keep some momentum

Beat Everton convincingly and I will start to give Ole a little bit of credit
    That's the exact type of game I suspect he will fail at

Utd will have majority possession so by default won't be a counter attack setup so will have to break down an Everton side on a bounce and a side that won't want to conceed.

If Duncan Ferguson simply looks at any other mid tier / bottom end side over the last 10 months who has played at OT then sit deep and Utd won't be able to break them down

Nothing has changed until Ole can prove he can set his team up to break down weaker sides and get 3 points on a regular basis against them.

A good opportunity to prove he has what it takes in the next few weeks now with some considerable favourable games in theory

UTD need to learn to hold a lead also against these type of sides in the league also. Another major issue at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I enjoyed that game. Pretty much the perfect 8 days , next few games the team can hopefully carry this confidence and push on.

• Exciting watching Greenwood
    He's a great finisher of the ball

Beat Everton convincingly and I will start to give Ole a little bit of credit
    That's the exact type of game I suspect he will fail at

Think a lot of fans hold the same sentiment. Teams like Everton are exactly the type of teams that Ole is struggling to find a winning formula for.

Beat Everton convincingly like you said and I think the support for Ole over the next few weeks is going to be massive.

Really hope this is the turning point in our season and we can climb our way into that top 4 just like we did last year when Ole was appointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

A few getting a bit over excited by the result tonight, it was a comfortable win against a poor team and tells us nothing new, that's it.

• Advertisement

A few getting a bit over excited by the result tonight, it was a comfortable win against a poor team and tells us nothing new, that's it.
    We've failed to beat worse teams than AZ in Europe over the years. No need to get overly excited but worth acknowledging the game and result for what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's the hope that kills ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

People are allowed get excited about Greenwood though. He’s just one of those players where you can tell that he will make it. Only thing stopping him would be himself.

He’s a nightmare for defenders already 1 v 1 cause he’s so well balanced and ambidextrous. Natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How did James Garner play ? The tackle to win back the ball for Greenwood’s goal was sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don’t think anybody is under any illusions that everything’s rosey in the garden. It’s still a very Young squad and we all know it needs additions. As I’ve said before, with such a young team consistency will be a problem. I also agree that the manager is going to have to work out a way to break down blanket defences.

But it is possible to have reservations and still enjoy the last week.

Yeah, how dare people get excited about topping the group playing the reserves. Nobodys saying its like beating Barca but we didn't field a strong team once in this competition and have qualified. Some just love to be negative all the time, it was good to see the youngsters have a good night thats all, let us enjoy the victory.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    How did James Garner play ? The tackle to win back the ball for Greenwood’s goal was sublime.

Bit iffy in the first half, looked a bit lost but probably just inexperience.

Second half was a different story, he played further up, lots of pressing. Good half.

Great 'winning' the ball back though, it was a foul but there was no VAR :D

I had a lot to do tonight and just had the game on in the background. Did anybody notice what tactics ole used to turn it around at half time. Was it a formation switch? A sub? Or did he give them the hairdryer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1205250316079443975?s=19

Needs to happen if they are serious about having a good season.

BDI wrote: »
    I had a like to do tonight and just had the game on in the background. Did anybody notice what tactics ole used to turn it around at half time. Was it a formation switch? A sub? Or did he give them the hairdryer?
    As much as I was just saying we should take pleasure from the performance and result I don't think it was any of the above that changed the game.

We grew into a game against a team who were technically very good on the ball and once a few things went our way we pounced whilst the opposition were pretty shell shocked.

DM_7 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1205250316079443975?s=19

Needs to happen if they are serious about having a good season.

Surely this means we're expecting some new players in the January window. Wonder what players Ole has is eyes on. Don't want to hear the whole 'Pogba back is like a new signing' nonsense he was saying the other day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Glad to see the misery of this thread lifted somewhat.

Hopefully big DF sets out like he did against Chelsea, gung ho and with 2 up top. It'll play into our hands. Still expecting a few meltdowns on here because we will drop points over the next month to lesser teams.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From my Season Ticket position tonight:

497506.jpg

497507.jpg

After 50+ minutes of what could best be described as tedium, 11 minutes that definitely made it worth the trip!

Beasty wrote: »
    From my Season Ticket position tonight:

497506.jpg

497507.jpg

After 50+ minutes of what could best be described as tedium, 11 minutes that definitely made it worth the trip!

What do you think changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Yeah, how dare people get excited about topping the group playing the reserves. Nobodys saying its like beating Barca but we didn't field a strong team once in this competition and have qualified. Some just love to be negative all the time, it was good to see the youngsters have a good night thats all, let us enjoy the victory.

You have been one of the most consistently negative people around these parts for the last few years sir so ya know, hypocrisy. You've hung your hat on the Jose bad man schtick which is fine but you are the last person that can afford to comment on how people see things.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

BDI wrote: »
    What do you think changed?

Don't think anything in particular changed. Romero had a few saves to make but nothing spectacular, but we had a golden period when everything went our way. Alkmaar were complaining about the first two goals, but when they were 2 down they pretty much lost interest, and United smelled blood and took advantage

You have been one of the most consistently negative people around these parts for the last few years sir so ya know, hypocrisy. You've hung your hat on the Jose bad man schtick which is fine but you are the last person that can afford to comment on how people see things.

Few years? BS. Jose last season yes, few years, no. Jose bad man schtick, lol what a lovely label, you still seem infatuated with him, Jose bad Utd manager, certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its simply rinse and repeat with the transfer ****e. Good win tonight after an absolutely dour first half, great little spell and then AZ gave up. Couldn't have gone much better in the end I guess. Delighted for Greenwood, he has been a real bright spark this season. Him getting game time in the EL has been brilliant and that he is scoring will do wonders for his confidence. Still early days for him obviously, again, thrilled for him tonight.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Strumms wrote: »
    I would say a good, solid performance. Of course Greenwood quite rightly got the plaudits but Brandon Williams gets better every time I see him. The fact all of them are getting chances to show what they can do and are actually doing it is very positive both for them but more importantly for the club

I'm not suggesting we have a new set of Babes or Fledglings but giving the kids a chance has always delivered for United. The likes of Rashford and McTominay are still young and we are building a very strong base for the next decade or so particularly when we supplement those youngsters with the likes of Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James

Looking at those names alone but for goalkeeper we could already field a high quality U-23 team

Beasty wrote: »
    I would say a good, solid performance. Of course Greenwood quite rightly got the plaudits but Brandon Williams gets better every time I see him. The fact all of them are getting chances to show what they can do and are actually doing it is very positive both for them but more importantly for the club

I'm not suggesting we have a new set of Babes or Fledglings but giving the kids a chance has always delivered for United. The likes of Rashford and McTominay are still young and we are building a very strong base for the next decade or so particularly when we supplement those youngsters with the likes of Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James

Looking at those names alone but for goalkeeper we could already field a high quality U-23 team

Dean Henderson says hello ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

PARlance wrote: »
    Glad to see the misery of this thread lifted somewhat.

Hopefully big DF sets out like he did against Chelsea, gung ho and with 2 up top. It'll play into our hands. Still expecting a few meltdowns on here because we will drop points over the next month to lesser teams.

Were Everton set up to be "gung ho" vs Chelsea ?
    They let Chelsea have the ball and caught them on the break,they only had 30% possession.

Not dissimilar to what United do.
    Both teams better without possession could see neither team wanting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Mason stealing John O'Sheas signature celebration just after it went in there.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Were Everton set up to be "gung ho" vs Chelsea ?
    They let Chelsea have the ball and caught them on the break,they only had 30% possession.

Not dissimilar to what United do.
    Both teams better without possession could see neither team wanting it!

Maybe "gung ho" wasn't the correct phrase, when they did have the ball they were pushing forward in numbers and they weren't sitting back absorbing pressure like the style we struggle against.

Ya, not too dissimilar to ourselves against top teams and if that's the case I think it'll suit us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It makes sense. As much as I would love a 10 to be signed in January, it'll be highly unlikely, unless it's a want-away player or someone who has been frozen out and you would have to question if we want one of those.

We'll get a backup striker in January and I think that'll be that. Pogba to play 10 once he returns. 3 big signings over the summer then and we will be getting there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

While I'm glad to hear they'll back him, I feel all three of those are unachieveable, or at the very least are extremely difficult. Maddison is in a team that is currently better, and Haland and Sancho will have suitors that are a lot more appealing than us.

As such, I hope there's back ups. I hope we don't spend a month hearing those names linked every day, only to end up with nothing. There needs to be a list, and we need to move quickly though it to get the new signings in asap.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    While I'm glad to hear they'll back him, I feel all three of those are unachieveable, or at the very least are extremely difficult. Maddison is in a team that is currently better, and Haland and Sancho will have suitors that are a lot more appealing than us.

As such, I hope there's back ups. I hope we don't spend a month hearing those names linked every day, only to end up with nothing. There needs to be a list, and we need to move quickly though it to get the new signings in asap.

I think Haaland is probably the most achievable of all three.

Maddison certainly will not leave in January, no point in even pursuing IMO. They have a legit chance to win the PL, get top 4. No way he'd leave.

Sancho I'd say is 25% to consider United. Frozen out a bit recently but think he's in the good books again.

Would love to see who else is being looked at.

Honestly, I'm not expecting anyone to come in. Pogba will more than likely stay and leave in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It will be all the usual soundbites for the next few weeks and there wont be any signings made in January bar a cheap CF option.

Its great to see 3 of the best young players around mentioned but little chance of getting any of them imo.

What are the scounts at,they never seem to be able to identify lads who are up in coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

PARlance wrote: »
    It makes sense. As much as I would love a 10 to be signed in January, it'll be highly unlikely, unless it's a want-away player or someone who has been frozen out and you would have to question if we want one of those.

I disagree plenty of good players will move that don't fit into that category.

Minamino for example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think Haaland is probably the most achievable of all three.

I have very little faith tbh.

He's apparently already talked to Dortmund and Leipzig. I reckon he ends up there.

RB Salzsburg tend to sell to RB Leipzig, and then further sell on latter. Plus, his agent is Raiola, who will probably want to get a few sign on bonuses, meaning he'll go to someone like Dortmund first, play for a few years, and then look for a move to a bigger club.

At his price (if the release clause bit is true), I also think you're going to see a lot of big teams come in for him.

I'd love him. Just not sure if we offer a better project than others right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement