Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11885480/scott-mctominay-manchester-uniteds-best-player-leading-the-way-as-jose-mourinho-praises-him

I think this lad is the heart Of the team and can be the player that sets proper standards by how professional and comitted he is to the cause. Been a long time since I actually liked a player as much as Scotty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Daily Mail just put up an interesting interview with Lingard. Seems his poor form was down to some issues at home with his mother.

I think people often forget football players are human beings with their own trials and tribulations. Fans sometimes pretend they have more at stake than the players. We don't. They are the team. We support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Sand wrote: »
    I think people often forget football players are human beings with their own trials and tribulations. Fans sometimes pretend they have more at stake than the players. We don't. They are the team. We support them.

That’s the spirit, support the club Lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Sand wrote: »

Couldn’t agree more.

Used to always wind me up when there were rumours Sanchez took his break up with his partner really tough and I saw people being “sure with *insert random figure here* a week, how could he be sad” as if just because you’re a multimillionaire you lose the ability to feel human emotions.

The Athletic put out a story recently about Phil Jones possible testimonial and he himself apparently rejected it when signing the contract extension and felt embarrassed at the thought of it, joking only his parents would want to go see it. I’m not his biggest fan by any means and think it’s best he moves on sooner rather than later for his own career, it’s still quite sad to read.

I think we’re all a little guilty in forgetting that footballers are humans too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Couldn’t agree more.

Used to always wind me up when there were rumours Sanchez took his break up with his partner really tough and I saw people being “sure with *insert random figure here* a week, how could he be sad” as if just because you’re a multimillionaire you lose the ability to feel human emotions.

The Athletic put out a story recently about Phil Jones possible testimonial and he himself apparently rejected it when signing the contract extension and felt embarrassed at the thought of it, joking only his parents would want to go see it. I’m not his biggest fan by any means and think it’s best he moves on sooner rather than later for his own career, it’s still quite sad to read.

I think we’re all a little guilty in forgetting that footballers are humans too.
    Fans think they own footballers i.e they pay their wages and that they can shout obscenity from the stand. Thats why players often say they live in a bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I don't know how long Lingards home situation was going on before he approached Ole, but I am surprised that the club haven't support systems in place for the players and staff to reach out to. After all the emerging stories in the last few years about players mental health issues, I would've thought that the club would be pro-active in supporting their employees.
    Anyway I hope he's family situation improves( I think he's mother's been ill and he's taken on a lot of responsibility for his siblings) and he gets the support he needs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't know how long Lingards home situation was going on before he approached Ole, but I am surprised that the club haven't support systems in place for the players and staff to reach out to. After all the emerging stories in the last few years about players mental health issues, I would've thought that the club would be pro-active in supporting their employees.

In fairness, they might. But when it comes to family issues, it's not always the easiest thing for the likes of Lingard to actively seek help with. And if he doesn't seek help, it's hard for the club to know.

You can have all the money in the world, work for a club with all the money in the world....but when it comes to your parents, sometimes you want to keep that **** to yourself, even if you know it's unhealthy.

Anyway I hope he's family situation improves( I think he's mother's been ill and he's taken on a lot of responsibility for his siblings) and he gets the support he needs.

It seems that they do? That’s why he went to the manager? Should he have gone to Mark Hughes instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

It's probably been mentioned in here before, but I'm slightly hungover, 34 of 38 goals this season have either been scored or assisted by an academy graduate.

• Advertisement

ElChe32 wrote: »
    It's probably been mentioned in here before, but I'm slightly hungover, 34 of 38 goals this season have either been scored or assisted by an academy graduate.

I’m actually more surprised we have scored 38 goals this season.

ElChe32 wrote: »

I think thats a cool stat, but I also think it's not surprising given how we seemed to rely strongly on academy graduates in terms of team building.

I read it was something like 14 of our registered squad are (at least technically) academy players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Lord TSC wrote: »
    In fairness, they might. But when it comes to family issues, it's not always the easiest thing for the likes of Lingard to actively seek help with. And if he doesn't seek help, it's hard for the club to know.

You can have all the money in the world, work for a club with all the money in the world....but when it comes to your parents, sometimes you want to keep that **** to yourself, even if you know it's unhealthy.

Fair point.
    I work for a company with a large workforce and luckily there are systems in place to help employees with financial, mental, physical health issues etc and employees are encouraged to use them.
    You might not want to go to your manager( I wouldn't) but an independent professional who can offer support is invaluable.
    I wouldn't expect players to contact the manager but I would've thought there would be professionals on hand to help these ( sometimes very young )men cope with with issues off the pitch, especially in light of recent stories coming to light.
    I wouldn't just be talking about United either. Every club should be taking these actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The certainly have staff who's job it is to look after player issues. Normally this can be around new signings and accommodation, schooling etc but I would think such a role could be used as a touch point to help get help elsewhere if needed.

I would be surprised if the club had left lingard out to dry on this

Sam Pilger of the Mail and Atletic, saying that United are increasingly confident of signinf Haland in the winter transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd rather fernandes over Haland.

RasTa wrote: »
    I'd rather fernandes over Haland.

Id prefer both...

Regardless, both are very different players. One is a striker, one a midfielder. It shouldn’t be one or the other, as we need to address both squad places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

He would make a good target man. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood can rotate positions often anyway. Haaland is more an out and out striker and we need someone like that in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

https://twitter.com/CheGiaevara/status/1205615941545078785 Dont usually pay much attention to these but it makes sense tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

To be honest Greenwood is nowhere near ready to be starting for the club, this is the pit we fell in with Rashford, Rashford has had an excellent month to be fair to him but he’s got 6 non penalty goals in 16 league games which is not a massive improvement on previous seasons.

We need to throw two quality players into the mix if we want any chance of pushing for 4th. I’d take Haaland and Fernandes without knowing a whole lot about them but their goal records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

On top of those flight details there was talk in the Norwegian press that Ole was in Salzburg yesterday, going the extra mile to try persuade a player to join. It's the type thing that from what you hear we have not done since Fergie left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Wow, we beat Everton and we are 2 points off 4th!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Drumpot wrote: »

The exact situation we usually p|ss it away in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Chelsea blowing 4th spot position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Drumpot wrote: »

Chelsea have lost 4 of their last 5 in the league and are away to Spurs on the 22nd and away to Arsenal on the 29th.

Me knowing we'll drop points to Everton but still trying to hope...

v72ozzsomlw31.gif

Win our next three games and we could easily find ourselves in 4th going into Christmas and still in all comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Cue a 2-2 draw tomorrow.

Chelsea have imploded

Massive test tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Being home I can hope we can win, we owe them for that 4-0... before that loss you are looking at a four year gap since Everton beat us... we need to regain the ability to nail teams like Everton to the cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Strumms wrote: »
    Being home I can hope we can win, we owe them for that 4-0... before that loss you are looking at a four year gap since Everton beat us... we need to regain the ability to nail teams like Everton to the cross.

The whole bounce back factor makes this more difficult to call in my eyes.

Hope we continue our good form but it's so hard to call this soon after a manager has been sacked from a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Strumms wrote: »

It's the one thing holding this team back, start to get results v these teams and I think we'd all start to believe that a tide has been turned.

Putrid for 55 mins v AZ so tomorrow doesn't overly fill me with confidence but we'll see.

A draw or worse tomorrow would make 1 of the results last week null and void and back to square one IMO.

It feels different this time. I remember going into spurs game with Moyes in charge knowing bale was going to run amok. He did. I feel confidence and hope going into this one. First time in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I am still hugely skeptical about this Utd team and Ole. The games against spurs and City were great but AZ was pretty much return to type, despite the 10 minute period which netted 4 goals.

Everton, Watford, Newcastle and Burnley are our next 4 games. Anything less than 10 points should be cause for massive concern and justifiable calls for Oles sacking imo.

These are the standards that man Utd need to be reaching if they want to be a footballing superpower.

Quandary wrote: »
    I am still hugely skeptical about this Utd team and Ole. The games against spurs and City were great but AZ was pretty much return to type, despite the 10 minute period which netted 4 goals.

Everton, Watford, Newcastle and Burnley are our next 4 games. Anything less than 10 points should be cause for massive concern and justifiable calls for Oles sacking imo.

These are the standards that man Utd need to be reaching if they want to be a footballing superpower.

Seriously? Anything less than 6 wins and a draw in 7 games should see the manager sacked with spurs and man city in there?

Ole will be at this club for the next 30 years.

There was talk all season about how great lampard was. Poch was even better although he was sacked leaving a team that even Jose couldn’t get a performance out of against his old team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

BDI wrote: »
    Seriously? Anything less than 6 wins and a draw in 7 games should see the manager sacked with spurs and man city in there?

Ole will be at this club for the next 30 years.

There was talk all season about how great lampard was. Poch was even better although he was sacked leaving a team that even Jose couldn’t get a performance out of against his old team.

Enough with the hyperbole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Three points now tomorrow and go from there, one game at a time

Need a similar first 20 minutes we saw against Spurs and City, have to keep that standard up tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Did I see today that Greenwood has more goals than Sanchez for our first team.

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Em...did you? :D

Well, Greenwood is on 6 for the current season, level with Martial.

Life is just too short to Google Sanchez' stats for United. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that I cannot remember celebrating 6 Alexis Sanchez goals during his time at United, I barely remember 2 of them.

So yeah, Greenwood already has more first team goals than Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Rossi IRL wrote: »

That's like saying I'm level on premier league winners medals with Stephen Gerrard. Sanchez is a very low bar.

BDI wrote: »

Everton, Burnley, Watford and Newcastle are games that man Utd should be winning. Its that simple.

If we somehow lost or draw one of them despite playing very well then I could accept that. If, however, we see the team performance drop again in these games and the results are poor then I want to see Ole sacked because that will be proof enough for me that he is definitely not up to the job. 3 wins is an absolute must for me. Anything less will be a disappointment. If this team are genuinely capable of beating spurs and City then beating Everton, Burnley, Watford and Everton should be realistic. Otherwise, Spurs and City were just pleasant blips where the team punched above their weight.

• Advertisement

Any of you able to access MUTV for free on a sky box.? It’s gone clear to air according to a post on the satellite forum but I can’t get it on my sky box!

Hoping we put in a performance tomorrow and get all 3 points. Our league record against Everton has not been amazing over the past 10 years though. Not sure why we've struggled so much tbh.

W9-D4-L6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Any of you able to access MUTV for free on a sky box.? It’s gone clear to air according to a post on the satellite forum but I can’t get it on my sky box!

Get the frequency details from there and tune it in under Other Channels.

Get the frequency details from there and tune it in under Other Channels.

I did that but it still won’t clear!

Everton, Watford, Newcastle & Burnley to see out the year are the exact games we’ve been dropping points in for years now.

Anything less than 3 wins there and we are back in trouble again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Quandary wrote: »

Any suggestion Ole gets special treatment from fans as a club legend can be cast aside if that is the case. 9 points from them games would mean 15/18 including beating City and Spurs and that is sack-able form?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Any suggestion Ole gets special treatment from fans as a club legend can be cast aside if that is the case. 9 points from them games would mean 15/18 including beating City and Spurs and that is sack-able form?

I probably should have mentioned if the performances were lacklustre along with less than 10 points. Before the spurs game I wanted him sacked. Since then we have had 3 good results with 2 good performances and 1 good 10 minute spell. If we do not kick on then I Want him sacked. 3 matches at a decent level only buys a certain amount of time. Our upcoming fixtures should have the players champing at the bit. If we do not do well in these 4 matches I think he should be out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

These links seem to picking up pace

Cotts72 wrote: »

The mirror? I’ll hold out for the daily mail atleast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Cotts72 wrote: »

How would that lineup, rashford left, martial up top and haaland where? James is undropable. I take it up top as martial cant stay fot for a season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement