Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

beno619 wrote: »
    Unless you didn't watch Manchester United pre 2019 I'm not going to attempt to explain what he can bring to the table when in decent form as some people don't and won't ever see it.

I'm not even saying he should be persisted with I'm just saying the abuse he's receives is ott.

2 seasons ago he had a bit of form for a few months. But that's it. He's never, ever, ever been consistently good, or anything beyond average. He was useful against certain types of opposition, or good to bring on to help protect a lead, but that he is still a first choice player is criminal.

If he were not an academy player, he'd be long gone. He's still treated as someone with potential. He's 27, in his peak years as a footballer and he's getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

limnam wrote: »
    The exact kinda day we fck up

and we keep doing so again any time there's a bit of pressure/expectation we flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Trigger wrote: »
    I dont get this point, some of the best playmakers and no10's in the world smaller than Lingard. Size has nothing to do with the ability to take a ball by a man or to play decent passes through the lines.

I personally think that lingard is being played in a position not suited to himself, he is a clever footballer, he is great at making runs in behind and dragging the defenders out of position..

He is not a number 10, he doesnt have the ability with the ball at his feet to be the link between midfield and the forwards. He naturally stays too far up the pitch and at the moment I'm not sure whether that is down to him or Ole telling him to do that.. either way, it doesnt work and Ole should be able to see that, so that much is on him.

He was playing in a similar base position under José at times with Pogba and Matic behind him. 2 players capable of feeding that position. He was also dribbling from deep to get the ball. He's played some games recently where he went looking for the ball and did very well at using possession.

I'm not sure why he is the focus of everything. It's not like it was much better when Pereira came on. Now people will say he's not good enough either and they may be right on that but I think the system is more than partly to blame and Ole's reluctance to changing it is baffling to me considering he tried a few different ones last season.

He tried a different one against Sheffield, a baffling 5-3-2 or 3-2-3-2 formation that was just awful.

Last year, the power of positivity accounted for a lot, and just doing some basics.

a lot of the players have shown under Van Gaal and Mourinho that they don't seem to be able to understand anything approaching a tactical plan, or at least not what might be considered a complicated one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Weepsie wrote: »

a lot of the players have shown under Van Gaal and Mourinho that they don't seem to be able to understand anything approaching a tactical plan, or at least not what might be considered a complicated one.

And yet they're still at the club and too old now to get any decent money for.

Lingard - 9 years at the club. 27 years old.

Shaw - 6 years at the club. Nearly 25 and has done nothing.

Jones. 9 years at the club. 28 years old in a few weeks.

Was fairly obvious after 2-3 years these lads couldnt cut it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumours that Ole is growing tired of Pogba's shít are true. I'd be frustrated too if I was being made look a complete buffoon in every press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Crying out for a director of football someone who knows the game to take the football side of it away from businessman Ed. Not sure if Ed realises how crap we are I think hell pursue with Ole until the end of the season. Oles team selections are poor I think we can all see how out of condition shaw is and how mentally unstable lingard is.For the record Ole should never of got the job considering the balls he made out of Cardiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

[url]

Have a read of this. Truly mindboggling how it’s being allowed to continue.

this one takes the biscuit for me:

Ole Gunnar Solskajer Win % at Cardiff: 30%

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Win % FT at United: 29.5%

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

this one takes the biscuit for me:

Ole Gunnar Solskajer Win % at Cardiff: 30%

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Win % FT at United: 29.5%

Jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Liam O wrote: »
    He was playing in a similar base position under José at times with Pogba and Matic behind him. 2 players capable of feeding that position. He was also dribbling from deep to get the ball. He's played some games recently where he went looking for the ball and did very well at using possession.

I'm not sure why he is the focus of everything. It's not like it was much better when Pereira came on. Now people will say he's not good enough either and they may be right on that but I think the system is more than partly to blame and Ole's reluctance to changing it is baffling to me considering he tried a few different ones last season.

He's not good enough either. Basically a Brazilian Lingard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Even with how bad our midfield is, I wouldn't take either of those. Neither are defensively that good, nor are either very creative. Just all round average players, not exceptional in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

beno619 wrote: »
    Unless you didn't watch Manchester United pre 2019 I'm not going to attempt to explain what he can bring to the table when in decent form as some people don't and won't ever see it.

I'm not even saying he should be persisted with I'm just saying the abuse he's receives is ott.

He 100% deserves the criticism he has put himself in the spotlight and posiston to warrent the criticism. He has built his own brand and social media persona off the back of been a Manchester United player while producing very little for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Is Maguire actually any good?

yes, but not as good as you'd like to assume given the price tag.

he's a competent front foot defender. he's dominant in the air. he can usually pick a pass given enough time, and he has the ability to dribble the ball and drive forward.

but he's not elite when it comes to recovery pace, and he's not elite when it comes to leading a back 4.

this forum was correctly one of the few to pick up, from what I've read and watched, that Maguire was at fault for that first goal more than Shaw, who has been battered from pillar to post by many. Maguire, you'd think, would be the one leading the offside line, but he's left behind. and if you are left behind, then you better be damn sure that you are the one who blocks the shot or cross that happens as a result of their attacker staying onside.

also, Lindelof really isn't great. he's grand at everything, but not really top drawer at anything. so that doesn't help. it'd be interesting to see Maguire with an elite defender beside him. also, Utd's midfield is dead. Fred is trying to do too much - tackle, intercept and start attacks - so Maguire has little room to roam like he would like to do. in fact, Matic or McTominay often occupy the space he'd be carrying the ball into.

basically, i think it's very safe to say that he is not the elite defender that his pricetag might make some assume he can be. but he's not a bad player at all. in fact, i think he can be a top 5 central defender in the league. but he needs help around him, and he needs a manager with a bit more tactical acumen in order to get the best out of him.

however, he was never going to be the game changer that, for example, Van Dijk was. not that any of you expected him to be. he doesn't have the pace, athleticism or raw gifts to be that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Even with how bad our midfield is, I wouldn't take either of those. Neither are defensively that good, nor are either very creative. Just all round average players, not exceptional in any way.

If Can was cheap I'd take him in the summer to replace Matic.

Longstaff is still baffling me, average in our first game and poor in the second (although his assist to martial was class)

We need to be looking at better options surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Zico ! wrote: »
    Crying out for a director of football someone who knows the game to take the football side of it away from businessman Ed. Not sure if Ed realises how crap we are I think hell pursue with Ole until the end of the season. Oles team selections are poor I think we can all see how out of condition shaw is and how mentally unstable lingard is.For the record Ole should never of got the job considering the balls he made out of Cardiff

Agreed, yeah fans can moan about the Glazers but they have allowed hundreds of millions to be spent on players in recent years. Woodward is no doubt a financial genius, the club remains hugely profitable during a relatively barren sporting spell in particular for the owners but he should absolutely zero influence on the playing/players side of things. The playing staff is littered with wrong characters on a mental/physical and tactical level. The manager is way out of his depth and that's never gonna change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Is longstaf not just a bit more of a refined McT? Can defend, decent passer, can get forward, all with a little bit more technical presence. Is he a young English player that they hope will rise in value in the coming years? Will be hard considering we will get taken to the cleaners if signing him.

Can? A player with ability but has as twice as many anonymous games as he does good games. Always questions about him at Liverpool, frozen out at Juve........sounds perfect!

January will be depressing as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Not sure how true the Longstaff and Can rumours are but how could scouts look to choose these players over Bruno Fernandes because he gives the ball away too much apparently?

Liverpool have become a better side since Can left and he can't get his game for Juventus.

Sean Longstaff has shown nothing that he's any sort of improvement on what United have this season. Mike Phelan is a fan apparently as is Carrick.

Why the sub standard players? Because standards and expectations are now low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Managed to tune in right as the second half kicked off. Not sorry I missed the first based on that showing.
    When you're bringing on Andreas Pereira to try and get you back into a game, there aren't adequate words to convey how much trouble you're in.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont have a clue as to how Shaw has seemingly established himself as first choice LB ahead of Young or Williams.......

Same. He had promise but the injury seems to have stopped him dead. He's a poor defender, but at least he gave you something going forward prior to the injury. Now, he doesn't get himself forward enough (possibly due to the fact he seems overweight for an apparently elite athlete) and when he does he does sweet FA with it. Confidence looks shot.

I'm still scrathching by head at the buy british thing too that does seem to be happening. If they're a drastic improvement and a very good player it makes sense, but to overlook better, cheaper players for some psuedo authenticity identity schtick is nonsense.

Is it Brexit related? What does that say to your non-national players, owners, staff and manager?

Is it marketing? Not sure how, in Rashford they already have one of the most marketable English players going and should be for a few years yet. His face gets plastered everywhere.

Kagawa and Park I don't believe were bought for 100% football reasons, but they were definitely very capable players and at least offered something on the pitch as well as off it.

Maybe they want to be the club post-Brexit for the little Englanders around, failing to realise that football is tribal and those folk already support teams up and down the country and won't be crossing a county line to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm still scrathching by head at the buy british thing too that does seem to be happening. If they're a drastic improvement and a very good player it makes sense, but to overlook better, cheaper players for some psuedo authenticity identity schtick is nonsense.

Is it Brexit related? What does that say to your non-national players, owners, staff and manager?

Is it marketing? Not sure how, in Rashford they already have one of the most marketable English players going and should be for a few years yet. His face gets plastered everywhere.

Kagawa and Park I don't believe were bought for 100% football reasons, but they were definitely very capable players and at least offered something on the pitch as well as off it.

Maybe they want to be the club post-Brexit for the little Englanders around, failing to realise that football is tribal and those folk already support teams up and down the country and won't be crossing a county line to change that.

Nothing to do with Brexit

Loomis wrote: »
    Managed to tune in right as the second half kicked off. Not sorry I missed the first based on that showing.
    When you're bringing on Andreas Pereira to try and get you back into a game, there aren't adequate words to convey how much trouble you're in.

Same. He had promise but the injury seems to have stopped him dead. He's a poor defender, but at least he gave you something going forward prior to the injury. Now, he doesn't get himself forward enough (possibly due to the fact he seems overweight for an apparently elite athlete) and when he does he does sweet FA with it. Confidence looks shot.

By seeing the second half you actually saw us play better than we did in the first half, that's how awful we were.

Nothing to do with Brexit

I didn't think it was, but it would be the only reason that might make any bit of sense.

They seem to be limiting themselves in a big way to players who are (a) overpriced and (b) not enough of an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I didn't think it was, but it would be the only reason that might make any bit of sense.

They seem to be limiting themselves in a big way to players who are (a) overpriced and (b) not enough of an improvement.

Who would you look to sign for the midfield?

In the past window, Fekir, Gueye would've been less than 50 million. Risky sure, but a creative attack minded midfielder and a defensive shield who had been excellent in the premier league for 4 seasons previously.

I really wanted NDidi, I'd have tried for Thiellemans. A combination of 2 of those 4 would have been a significant improvement.

They'll be linked with Rice, Grealish and Longstaff, but Will Hughes and Ward-Prowse have in reality performed consistently better than any of them over a sustained period, and we'd hardly want to be linked with them, unless it was 1 of them and 1 absolute world class midfielder capable of running everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Can @ Longstaff are no better than what we have and would only add to the deadwood in the squad. They would be a waste of money imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

its depressing being a United fan at the moment.

Ole is out of his depth and the team looks uninspired and uncoached. Its ****.

The playing staff are the issue - there is no real quality there anymore. None. DDG has gone off a cliff. Pogba plays well one in ten games. When he makes himself available. Maguire is ****. Shaw, Matic, Lingard are some of the worst players I have seen playing for United.
    Phil Jones still has a contract. Mata, Ashley Young should be gone 2 years ago.

Any rebuild is going to take 3 years - and I am not sure OGS is the man to be doing such a job, unless he finds a ruthless streak very soon.
    Starting with bouncing Lingard out the gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

By the way - If there isnt anyone signed within a week there will be nobody signed.

billyhead wrote: »
    Can @ Longstaff are no better than what we have and would only add to the deadwood in the squad. They would be a waste of money imo.

Well he's barely played this season due to injury so should fit in well at the United treatment room.

• Advertisement

It's at the stage now where I'm now reading these Ole quotes but hearing Moyes' voice in my mind. And tbh that's harsh on Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

If I hear him refer to them as "the boys" or praise their energy one more time, I'm going to scream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1212503527282659328

I hate this comment so much, it's all lies and/or utter delusion.

The team are fit but are they any fitter than any other club? They've looked jaded so many times this season.

Are they getting better? Depends where you set the bar. 8 wins in 21 isn't a great standard.

The boys have really worked hard over the past few months. At times yes, other times absolutely not.

Last night was an awful, awful display from United. Was it any worse than v Watford, Newcastle (A), Palace, Bournemouth, AZ (A), West Ham, Southampton. Hard to know. All as bad as each other.

We’ve had ups and downs and I can‘t fault them because the energy and drive has been there. A lot here could certainly fault them. Couple started last night that are lacking in drive and should be nowhere near the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

He's trying to put a positive spin on the performances. Must think we are complete idiot's.

I think mentally Ole is extremely fragile that interview last night where he was smiling and joking has left me thinking that he's lost the plot. Ole was a good player for us would never say he was a legend sad to see this guy become a laughing stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Solskjaer was and always will be a United legend for me.
    But after his interview after the game last night I don't think any supporters of Manchester United can say he's the manager to return us to the top.
    Trying not to be to harsh but if he doesn't step down shortly he will be as harmful to the club as Woodward is.
    Its clear any money spent will be an upstairs marketing strategy than an ole rebuild strategy.
    Ole showed last night with his laughing and smiling through the interview that he's only a yes man for the board and will never be allowed to rebuild a team.
    Hope ole finally grows some and walks for the sake of the club. Does anyone really think any other manager only a yes man would still be at utd.

Legends are Best Keane Law Cantona Robson Charlton etc Ole is miles away from that status

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Same old same old from Ole is all it is. Absolutely nothing new. He knows he was promoted far beyond his experience and has been told by those who gifted him the job that he’s to tow the company line. The moment he falters and veers from the “youth is good, everything is looking up” message it’ll all be taken away from him. Nobody is that deluded that they can’t see it’s not working and Ole is no different.

Legends are Best Keane Law Cantona Robson Charlton etc Ole is miles away from that status

That's your opinion and everyone will have different names to add,but the fact still remains after this hes only going to be remembered for his time as a manager and what a disaster.

• Advertisement

Is there any indication that Woodward is going to get rid of him?

Just go and get Poch for crying out loud.

Why would Woodward want rid of ole. He's perfect for him and his plans, won't say a bad word about how the club is being run and alot of supporters will refuse to blame ole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Is there any indication that Woodward is going to get rid of him?

Just go and get Poch for crying out loud.

That would mean admitting failure again on the umpteenth managerial appointment. The man clearly has huge power at Utd and has an ego to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Ole out!

Some interesting comments from Giggs, that when United were in possession, Lingard would run towards the ball, thus, closing down and crowding the ball instead of holding his discipline/position and finding space in his position as a result of stretching them. He was actually doing the Arse defenders jobs for them by playing like an 11 year old, following the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The players we are linked to is every bit as depressing as Ole staying on as manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Can won't transform a midfield, but it says a lot that he's several tiers above any options we currently. I'm not including Pogba because I don't even consider him as a United player any more.

Longstaff, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we pulled a Maguire and signed him for more than was quoted last summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Some interesting comments from Giggs, that when United were in possession, Lingard would run towards the ball, thus, closing down and crowding the ball instead of holding his discipline/position and finding space in his position as a result of stretching them. He was actually doing the Arse defenders jobs for them by playing like an 11 year old, following the ball.

Should have went with Giggsy after all!

But for (a) being shunted out to the wing (where he still managed 15 goals) and (b) 4 injury ravaged seasons, He may well have been a 200 goal player. Scored the winner in 1999, never kicked up stink and just got on with playing, regardless of his role. He set some high standards and outlasted a few bigger named players.

A very intelligent player, who just seemed to enjoy being on the pitch. Maybe he wasn't selfish enough, and that limited his chances sometimes. That meekness, his being a nice guy is there to see as a manager too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ole was very good on the wing too. He was a brilliant crosser of a ball. Would put today’s lads to shame.

Whatever about how awful he was as a manager he was a cracking player.

Can won't transform a midfield, but it says a lot that he's several tiers above any options we currently. I'm not including Pogba because I don't even consider him as a United player any more.

Longstaff, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we pulled a Maguire and signed him for more than was quoted last summer.

Lionel Messi wouldn't transform our midfield or team. The rot that is in the club has come from the top.
    People thinking we can buy our way out of this are wrong.
    The whole look and body language of the players is very telling.
    Until the Glaziers and Woodward have left Manchester United will continue to fall.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement