Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Zico ! wrote: »
    Really he was sh1t as a player how long u watching utd

Ah here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fletchers biggest crime is being evidence that some players can up their game to a top class level after 5/6 years of working at it, his 2008/09 season has convinced far too many people that an average player can come good if they just give them more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its very hard to have 22 world class players.

You need good squad. Fletcher was a good player. Not a Roy Keane, but still did a job.

Type of player that needed good players around him though I will admit. He was never as poor as our piss poor CM now. Although neither was 99% of past players.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Fletcher would easily be the best player in the current team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ole taking positivity from that second half - Sure boss, once City went 3-0 up and put the match and likely the whole semi-final to bed, they took their boot off our necks for a bit and allowed us to play some football.

Is this the elusive 'Plan B'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Always liked ole, but patience is wearing thin. He is becoming as damaging to utd as Woodward and the glaziers. I still can't believe the almost non existent reactions to the serious state of the club at the moment, last night City had game won after half an hour and were only playing half throttle. Plenty more embarrassing games to come before the end of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Liam O wrote: »
    Looked like cramp. What happens when you play once a month I guess...

it didnt look like cramp to be . He looked like the crock that he is.

its funny that you are still defending this waste of space .

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Drumpot wrote: »
    Woodward knows what he’s doing, I do the exact same in Fifa career mode , sell all senior experiences players and go head first to the youth scouts so in 4/5 years time my squad is full of 90+ potential players. Ashley Young Won’t get to 90+ so I get it.

Makes no sense to me. His contract expires in the June anyway so his transfer fee would be paltry. He is on 100k a week so we'd save €500k in wages. We'd be left with Shaw who cannot be trusted to stay fit and a young 18/19 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

damowill wrote: »
    Makes no sense to me. His contract expires in the June anyway so his transfer fee would be paltry. He is on 100k a week so we'd save €500k in wages. We'd be left with Shaw who cannot be trusted to stay fit and a young 18/19 year old.

Dalot is back and has played LB. We'd still have 3.

• Advertisement

4.33333 weeks in a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That was a joke, albeit not a very good one...

I don’t see any benefit to offloading Young at this stage with the state of that squad.

Drumpot wrote: »
    That was a joke, albeit not a very good one...

I don’t see any benefit to offloading Young at this stage with the state of that squad.

People want Young out,he looks like leaving and now people want him to stay???
    He's relegated to a squad player lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

RIGHT LADS

I'm going on my holidays tomorrow to florida ...as it happens the glazers live very close by where I'm going .

A few years ago my sister who I'm visiting used to actually work for Joel I think , child minding ...

I might pop in for tay ... any requests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I never said I wanted him out, never been as upset about him as some of ye. I think he’s fine as a squad player and he seems to be popular with managers which means he’s reliable, hard working and probably good in dressingroom. When I say reliable, would you call Pogba reliable? Young will give it all most games even if he’s not playing well.

He’s a grand squad player to have, if we had more half decent squad players like him we might not be doing as bad as we are right now. This squad is already over reliant on youngsters, I just don’t see any benefit of increasing that reliance to save a few hundred thousand quid. He’s prob gone in the summer , I’m not sure how it helps the squad by offloading him now, didn’t you hear what the club was saying “come on guys it’s mucho duro getting players in January”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

RIGHT LADS

I'm going on my holidays tomorrow to florida ...as it happens the glazers live very close by where I'm going .

A few years ago my sister who I'm visiting used to actually work for Joel I think , child minding ...

Lob a few eggs at their gaf please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Shaw and Dalot have spent more time with the physios than Phil Jones. And that's really saying something.

Williams shows promise but is still raw and inexperienced.

With the state of our squad, the last thing we should do this window is move players out imo.
    We currently have Bailly, Maguire, Rojo and Tuanzebe all out injured, and defensive backup is getting stretched. Lindelof's form is also poor.
    We may yet need to use AWB as an emergency CB.

Young is fine as a squad player. He's an experienced pro and generally stays fit.

If moving him out is our priority this window it tells you everything about the club's attitude.

RIGHT LADS

I have a few. But would warrant a ban on here.

Reading one of the news pages this morning it stated the team was booed off at half time. Did I miss this. Did anyone else hear this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Reading one of the news pages this morning it stated the team was booed off at half time. Did I miss this. Did anyone else hear this

There was some booing but it wasn't very noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Shaw and Dalot are not reliable to stay fit and Williams is very raw

Whether you like Young or not he is rarely injured and if solid if not spectacular when relied on

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Nuts102 wrote: »

Whether you like Young or not he is rarely injured and if solid if not spectacular when relied on

Exactly. Young is leaving in the summer anyway! The savings between now and the summer are hardly worth it with the state of our squad at the moment. we are still in the europa and could go on a cup,so there will be a lot of games and a need to rotate the squad.

young should have been sold 4 years ago... pointless selling him now for zilch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

There was some booing but it wasn't very noticeable.

Ole's at the Wheel, Tell me how good does he Feel

Fans still sing this :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Do you have a newsletter?

Quote from Ole ref the game last night:
    From their goal until half-time is the worst we’ve played,” he said. “From the first goal until half-time we couldn’t cope. We let them play, our heads dropped, we made decisions we shouldn’t

Sound familiar? It should...
    First half it could have easily been my testimonial. It was subdued, slow, no urgency. Any encouragement their crowd got came from our mistakes.”

“We started the game slow. The first half was very, very poor from both sides and when you concede two goals like we did in quick succession with their two shots on target we gave ourselves too much to do.

I wonder what he said to the players after that?
    “I think it’s been told to the players, in quite certain terms, what kind of team we are,” said Solskjaer at the pre-match press conference.

"They know what we expect. They know when we’re at our best.

“We have to make it hard to play against us. We can’t play tippy-tappy football.

“We can’t, at this moment in time, play like Manchester City. It’s only City that can do that.

“We have to show more energy, drive, urgency and selflessness in every single game. That is the way we have to play at the moment.”
    Sorry Ole, but I don't think they are listening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

"From their goal until half-time is the worst we’ve played"

This makes sense now - he hasn't been watching the majority of the games this season!

That stuff from Ole is Moyes level.

"We can't play tippy tappy football" Give me a break, fecking Dundalk can do it,Leeds can do it so a bunch of players at the biggest club in the world can't?
    Says more about his failings than the players. Remember when Trappatoni said pretty much the same about Ireland yet a lot of the players actually played passing football with their clubs?
    Are we reduced to bullsh1t statements like that now from our own manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

It's all so predictable. When you see a teamsheet with Phil Jones, Andreas Periera & Jesse Lingard against one of the best teams out there, it honestly surprising that we were only 3 down at half time.

The thing that really pisses me off is Ole constantly saying "this is a young team". It's not the youth that is the problem - Wan Bissaka, Williams, Greenwood, James, Rashford are the least of the issues.

You can't blame youth for the fact that Phil Jones is a comedy show. He's an embarrassment to the club. What's the point in playing him? Surely, you might as well stick in a kid who could be an option in the future. I know he wouldn't be playing if Maguire, Tuanzebe, Bailly or Rojo were fit, but still.

You can't blame youth that Jesse Lingard hasn't had a PL goal contribution in over a year.

Players who have been up and down for us (e.g. Lindelof, Fred), would be fine in a semi functional team, but when you put them next to a bunch of young players, and next to a bunch of useless players - it makes things seem so much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

There's hundreds of ways you could have a dig at the club/fans and you pick one that isn't actually true. Congratulations to you Sir, it's actually an achievement to f*ck that up.

Nobody has sung this for the entire season. One of the players referenced in the song doesn't he play for United any more

• Advertisement

One thing that frustrates me about the current coaching set up is this constant narrative that United cannot break teams down.

Yes, quality makes a difference, but how do the 80/90 teams with less quality than United score goals? How do teams up and down the country go out every weekend and beat opponents with well organised defensive set-ups?

They do it by being well coached themselves, by working hard in training on their tactics and formations, by playing to their strengths and making the best out of the limited resources they have.

But at United its all "well we can't do any better until we get better players, its not our fault".

Its been a year. A full year yet still all we hear is that United cannot break down well organised defences. I know if I was a coach I would be taking that personally, never mind what transfers were or were not being made.

Nuts102 wrote: »

Young is just a symptom of what's gone wrong at the club,like Jones he should have been replaced several seasons ago but of course now with the squad thread bare he's probably out the door.
    I'm happy he's moving on but not happy at the fact that there's no sign of a replacement.
    Bar the signing of Maguire,AWB and James,when was the last time the club had what we could call even an acceptable transfer window?

Last summers transfer window was not acceptable.

Was the only reason Maguire was bought was because bailly got injured

Last summers transfer window was not acceptable.

If we brought in that annoying phrase of net spend,the club have actually spent feck all over the last while.
    Fair enough that the club doesn't go nuts but it bursts Woodward's bubble over his "we can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of" statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Stolen from the Ireland Simpsons Fans page, thought it pretty good.

81454037_10162625708280398_642231519242354688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ohc=7TNm0LDB09sAQkcFZLy115NnSc_5sU1cThH9vwo3XqN5hj97ff6Af9GXg&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=82075a07bb67245003c1591095505093&oe=5EA7F18B
    81454053_10162625708560398_1288129875403603968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=Y0_GY_bcpMwAQnDymLtUYSYppk9VMtBNhfNUfhm1lhYvkqeQKVTp-lsBQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=cfe78103da44192ecdf92dc6051a857e&oe=5EB376E2
    82095975_10162625708895398_4969089200818225152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=StPHwPemkoEAQnrLXGsS3QkpBRQFwQL2kF0FB-PdU1cGA4hlvS888CFPQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=c9cdf87cc8356ca6ba65aeaad20445ce&oe=5EADFD2C
    81495438_10162625709160398_6681295728892968960_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=uEmttYhJyugAQni818baXyxot7edGQ_JygsHBTlero7sM58Y9m8c8cLcw&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=429c627aa8f71b9d60f9f8bcee69e6fd&oe=5EA2CB4F

If we brought in that annoying phrase of net spend,the club have actually spent feck all over the last while.
    Fair enough that the club doesn't go nuts but it bursts Woodward's bubble over his "we can do things in the transfer market that other clubs can only dream of" statement.

I would be thinking more in terms of what was needed against what was delivered, rather than what was spent in money terms.

There were serious deficiencies in the squad, particularly in midfield and attack, they were not addressed and here we are, those same deficiencies are killing the season.

Last summers transfer window was completely unacceptable, that was said at length at the time and we have been proven right ever since.

I would be thinking more in terms of what was needed against what was delivered, rather than what was spent in money terms.

There were serious deficiencies in the squad, particularly in midfield and attack, they were not addressed and here we are, those same deficiencies are killing the season.

Last summers transfer window was completely unacceptable, that was said at length at the time and we have been proven right ever since.

Even when Ferguson was in charge,we were short in midfield. The talk was that Fred was green lighted by Jose because it was either him or nobody. A player bought here and there over the reigns of several managers rather than properly addressing the issues.
    This trend has carried on right through the squad,even Rashford only came true by blind luck as LVG had nobody else,it wasn't some stroke of genius.
    We are like someone who keeps buying scratch cards in the hope of an occasional win rather than sensible financial planning and investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Is Glory Glory Man United still blared across the tannoys at the end of games?

I havent been to Old Trafford in about five years - I hope to go again but the current performances arent enticing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

dixiefly wrote: »
    Is Glory Glory Man United still blared across the tannoys at the end of games?

I havent been to Old Trafford in about five years - I hope to go again but the current performances arent enticing me.

Flying Friday for the Norwich game for my sins. More interested in hearing the local thoughts of what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Beyond Woodie and the Glazers being s**t shows, we need to think about what currently is best for the team.

We were told that the signing of Harry, AWB and James was the start of an overhaul, coupled with the sale/ release of a few players that simply clogged the squad. It was widely acknowledged that having addressed deficiencies in defence and adding pace up front, the next was midfield and an attacking creative player. Few would disagree with that, and a large part of our issues currently are a result of not having the depth in these positions.

On the basis of the above, OGS is in need of more time.

That said, are we really seeing a well coached team? We have seen the effects of a pressing team who are quick on the counter, but this is all. Beyond that, are we seeing alternative patterns? Are we seeing improvements in set plays? Nuance to our tactics?

OGS seems like he knows how to assemble a team of players. But does he know how to use them? Has he the right coaching ticket to help him on that front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

OGS seems like he knows how to assemble a team of players. But does he know how to use them? Has he the right coaching ticket to help him on that front?

Does he? I don't see evidence of this whatsoever. See Cardiff for example.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Does he? I don't see evidence of this whatsoever. See Cardiff for example.

I thought McKenna was highly rated, it's not showing.
    Carrick just seems to be Ole's listening post who sits beside him and nods in the dugout.
    It looks like Phelan is an outcast, he's there but nobody talks to him.
    Whispers from behind the scenes hint at archaic coaching and fitness regimes,true or not,what goes on when the team takes to the field gives certain credence to those whispers.
    Saying that the team can't play a passing game is just another excuse. Back when Ole was a player he was in a team that could pass anyone off the field in the league and Europe bar Barca. They could mix that with blistering counter attacks,now it's little passing and a one dimensional counter attack style.
    Liverpool are a good example of a modern version of what United used to do,hard work,mental strength,passing and fast,deadly counters.
    We can generally do the countering bit but the hard work and passing are seriously lacking along with mental strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Maguire out for an extended spell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

wadacrack wrote: »
    Maguire out for an extended spell

If he tore it thats 6 weeks minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Acosta

Felt it was only a matter of time before Maguire had some sort of bad injury. Given that he was barely ever rested and the clubs bad record with injuries in recent years.

• Depressing

Mis-management of his players also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,453 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Playing him 90 mins every game over Christmas with Jones sitting there was silly. Colchester he shouldn't have played and Newcastle he should have been off early are the shining examples.

People are intent on saying Jones is useless but bar the cramp last night I thought he looked assured on the ball and defended well at times. The cramp was unfortunate if only because he's again the butt of the joke. I suppose it takes the spotlight off Lindelof who was suspect for the 2nd and the midfield who allowed free run at the defense. Was done by KDB for the 3rd alright but he'd chased him back from the halfway line. KDB is the best player in the league so hard to be too harsh. He should have gotten more game time this season than he has.

I'm almost at the stage where I've lost all faith in Ole. I don't understand how he can persist with this formation when it's clear that a variation of 4-3-3 that both Liverpool and City use is the best way to play. Having a cavernous midfield with 2 deep and the 3rd up near the strikers means there is no control and as soon as one of the 2 move forward their entire side of the pitch is open to attack.

After the experimentation during his caretaker spell it really baffles me his rigidity and it doesn't matter who is in these midfield positions, it's the system that's the problem. Either have the full backs fill in the gaps like City do or have the 3 midfielders be fighting for the ball and not allowing space and time like Liverpool. Don't do neither and leave it wide open for even the bad teams to have time and space there.

I heard a good analogy of Ole's appointment and time at the club on Today FM this morning.

"It's like moving in with someone and everything is grand,you decide to get married and it all goes pear shaped".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jones was crap and woefully indecisive for the first goal.

A wonder strike yes, but he didn't attempt to close the gap. Silva had all the time in the world to pass or shoot. Jones could've taken the second option away, or at least made it a lot more difficult.

Now, I do agree there matches that Maguire should've been rested. Same for rashford, same for mctominay at times.

Sure we've bad injuries, but the squad management has been crap forever, players only getting dropped when injured really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement