Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

(Mohamed Bouhafsi) Lille very open to selling Boubakary Soumaré this month. Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid are all interested in doing a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They are simply bleeding the club dry. Leeches who take and take and take and keep taking because they know the money is going to keep rolling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I’m thinking of giving up my season ticket also ! Problem being will take me years to get it back !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

What an absolute disaster lads

I know it's the owners and Woodward's doing absolute leeches but ole is done the whole setup is amateur. We could be looking at ten years to get back to the top with the current owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Really brilliant but depressing article at the same time.
    Sad thing is we have known alot of this for a long time now but refused to believe or act,Not only us as supporters but former players and people involved still refuse to really tell or speak about the truth of the matter. But why bums are still filling seats it's not going to end.

• Advertisement

macslash wrote: »
    He's dead right. Time we had some former reds saying this.

And that thread above is depressing.

Too many of the former players are concerned with getting themselves some jobs though. Some were plenty happy to lambast the club when Jose was there, and their chance of employment was low. With Ole in, they all think they can get a job. Hell, that’s probably a good part of why Woody was dangling the DoF job in front of them too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

What an absolute disaster lads

I know it's the owners and Woodward's doing absolute leeches but ole is done the whole setup is amateur. We could be looking at ten years to get back to the top with the current owners

We'll never get back to the top under the current owners.
    Far too much wrong at the club - facilities, board, management, players. All need to be urgently replaced or upgraded with a billion+ cost. Those parasites have no intention of spending that kind of money to give the club some chance.
    By they time they do spend that on the club 10 years at current levels, they'll have taken more out of the club in dividends, interest etc.
    We are only going in one direction under these *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Too many of the former players are concerned with getting themselves some jobs though. Some were plenty happy to lambast the club when Jose was there, and their chance of employment was low. With Ole in, they all think they can get a job. Hell, that’s probably a good part of why Woody was dangling the DoF job in front of them too...

Are players really that badly looking for jobs. I don't think that's the reason why they won't be negative. They are all multimillionaires. They don't need money.

Realistically people in football know for sure what's happening at utd. It makes me think what manager of any pedigree is going to be willing to take over this **** show. Surely probably get plenty in for a big paycheck knowing success is not a priority or being unsuccessful is acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I’m thinking of giving up my season ticket also ! Problem being will take me years to get it back !

It's season ticket holders like yourself I feel sorry for.

Many say "not to go" and "don't give them money" as it'll take the revenue away from Glazers. That's all well and good but there will be more interest from fairway fans, day trippers to come in and take those seats regardless IMO.

Should be more about protests, aiming the hate at Glazers/EW when the cameras are on, walking out early. Things to get noticed. Many gave out about the tennis balls in the Aviva but it made a stand and made national press bringing light to the situation that fans are not happy. Arsenal fans did it too with Emery earlier in the season.

Say for example in an ideal world, Glazers walk in the Summer and you've already given up your ticket. No guarantee you'll get it back and as you said, could be years. I'd keep it personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Supporting United kind of feels like being proud of being Irish while FF/FG remain in power. I want to love this. I know what it's capable of, but those pr**ks in power worry only for themselves and are happy to watch the rest of us burn. I'm still not going to seek a new nationality. I just want change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

xtal191 wrote: »

This is one of the reasons why I’m reluctant to get on the Ole out train. There will be no pressure put on the owners while a manager is doing “ok”, and ok will Always be enough with this shower in charge. And for anybody who actually read all that tweet he said a lot of what I’ve been saying over the years.

Like Woodward’s doing a smashing job in the owners eyes, Ole is a terrific lad doing exactly what they want him to do. If he’s not good enough for the role then get angry at Woodward and the glazers, not Ole. You have to believe in yourself to even take on the United job so I’m not angry at all with Ole and don’t believe he has any ill will towards the club. I think he genuinely believes in what he’s doing but I’m not sure he’s going to get the time or the support he will need to succeed. (If indeed he can succeed). But he’s not the person allowing him to manage the club and even those angry with him know that no manager walks away from a job like this.

Our fanbase is too apathetic and easy to string along by the glazers. If we got in Poch now and spent maybe 200 mil in the summer that would keep fans quiet for awhile , even though they are challanging high on the net spend table the last few years and the team needs a lot more then that spent to start mounting any decent challenges! And it appears that many outside of the club , including the media are mugs that just lap up the headlines “well the glazers have spent hundreds of Mullions” without looking under the bonnet of how this money has been spent.

So the dividend paid the other day is the final one. Everything going forward will stay in the club according to the club's financial report.
    From November,the shares were trading ex dividend.
    At last,some kinda good news.

See the last line on page 4.

https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/Governance%20Document/1q20-earnings-release.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I got laughed at for saying this elsewhere!!!!!!!!!

Former players are too happy to suck money from the club for doing cushy jobs it's from the top right down. You have players like Yorke, Cole, Robson, slvestre, browne the list goes on the only one that has any kind of balls to say anything while been employed by the club is David May and even at that he won't go against the people paying him.

Ferguson and Charlton are pretty much as bad too if the club is in the state that people are saying on here and twitter and elsewhere then why are the very people that built the club to what it was happy to sit back and say nothing!!!!!

I dont care about results I don't care about ole in short term what sickens me is the amount of people that are happy to just sit there and scream sack the manager or bulsh1t about rebuilding process and ignore the fact that the club is been bleed dry of the very fabric of what made it great!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

So the dividend paid the other day is the final one. Everything going forward will stay in the club according to the club's financial report.
    From November,the shares were trading ex dividend.
    At last,some kinda good news.

See the last line on page 4.

https://ir.manutd.com/~/media/Files/M/Manutd-IR/Governance%20Document/1q20-earnings-release.pdf

Doesn't that just mean the non-Glazer shareholders no longer get paid a dividend? I'm sure there are many ways the Glazers can continue to suck out cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ashley Young offered 1 year extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Explains Fletchers commentary at the league cup match. Wasnt there alot of talk about a DOF position for him

Disgraceful behaviour tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Maybe it is just co-incidence and he has had a very long run of prior engagements this past year, but Paul Scholes has suddenly gone very quiet on all things Manchester United.

Thats his right of course, but he has gone from regular and vocal criticism to radio silence, I wonder why that is? And if he will have the neck to return if the manger changed again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Maybe it is just co-incidence and he has had a very long run of prior engagements this past year, but Paul Scholes has suddenly gone very quiet on all things Manchester United.

Thats his right of course, but he has gone from regular and vocal criticism to radio silence, I wonder why that is? And if he will have the neck to return if the manger changed again...

I think his lack of criticism is coming from a bit of a reality check

He had a shambolic short stint as Oldham manager, giving credence to when Jose said it was very easy for TV pundits to sit there and criticise and say what exactly needs to be done on the pitch to improve things!

• You be surprised how many fans still take the words of Neville, Scholes, Fletcher, Ferdinand ect as gospel

That is a damning indication of the state we are in and again another incredibly good move from Woodward

He knows all too well Ole will not be criticized by his m8s

And it filters down to the supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Re. Young

I hope if he is too leave he will leave now instead of sign a pre-contract to go at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I don’t know what’s funnier, the fact that we offered him an extension or the fact that he rejected and genuinely has a better option.

Not to mention the uncomfortable truth that he’s arguably our best left back and he’s leaving :o

If you couldn’t laugh.....

• Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I don’t know what’s funnier, the fact that we offered him an extension or the fact that he rejected and genuinely has a better option.

Not to mention the uncomfortable truth that he’s arguably our best left back and he’s leaving :o

If you couldn’t laugh.....

He knows it's a sinking ship

I actually don't blame him

He knows it's a sinking ship

I actually don't blame him

Plus, if we can't persuade Ashley Young that it's worth staying at the club in it's current state, then how do we think any discussions with potential transfer targets are going? Doubt we're able to persuade them about much either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If I was in his shoe's I do the same, best of luck to him.

I was never his biggest fan but he was a good servant to the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Headshot wrote: »
    If I was in his shoe's I do the same, best of luck to him.

I was never his biggest fan but he was a good servant to the club

Absolutely. All in all, he had his moments in his United career, re positioned himself as a defender, one of the last remaining to leave United with a PL medals winner, lovely bit of shíthousery about him and never spoke negatively about the club.

Prob should have been replaced 18 months ago but that says more about the club than himself. Best of luck to him. His first two goals in the 8-2 win v Arsenal, what a game that was.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Plus, if we can't persuade Ashley Young that it's worth staying at the club in it's current state, then how do we think any discussions with potential transfer targets are going? Doubt we're able to persuade them about much either.

In all due fairness, there'd be a difference between the pitch to mid-30s, 3rd choice player Young and any potential signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We've recalled Borthwick-Jackson, he couldnt get into the Tranmere side.

If I was rashford too,I would be seriously thinking about staying at this club. Same could be said about mctominay and Greenwood. Look like they could be really great players but will never happen at this club. Going to take to long to turn around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's a minor annoyance that Ashley Young will get to tell his grandkids that he left United for a better off and a new challenge despite us begging him to stay, rather than him being chucked out for being one of many who were nowhere near good enough.

In all due fairness, there'd be a difference between the pitch to mid-30s, 3rd choice player Young and any potential signings.

Oh I'm aware of the fundamental differences in the pitch to players at differing stages of their careers. But it's still an indictment of the club that we have a player who has been happy to be at the club for as long as he has playing in the variety of positions he has, who plays in a "problem" position for the club, but would rather move on to another team now than be a part of the "rebirth" of Man United as it's currently being sold. Now I'm sure that Young will be professional about it and say that he feels it was his final opportunity to try another footballing culture before he retired, and there may well be some truth to that, but the alternative we were offering can't have been great either.

When you couple that with how difficult it is for us to persuade younger key members of the squad to stick around for it, (for example Pogba who has flat out refused to swallow the same tale twice after signing up for it the first time around, and DdG who apparently needed a barrow load of cash to persuade him it was worthwhile hanging around for) then I think we can start to draw certain conclusions about: a) how attractive we are to players or b) how good we actually are at any stage of the signing process (identification, contacting, negotiating etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

State of this club where we have old depreciating deadwood players pushing for exits to clubs with chances of trophies. He's probably pushing for a move this month since there's a decent chance Inter will win Serie A this season.

What's next, Lingard off to Madrid, Matic to PSG :P

Now I'm sure that Young will be professional about it and say that he feels it was his final opportunity to try another footballing culture before he retired, and there may well be some truth to that, but the alternative we were offering can't have been great either.

Some truth to it?

Come on, if United were flying right now Young would still be mad to pass up this offer, I would doubt that whether he believes in the rebuild or not will have anything to do with it.

He is 34 years old and it is quite clear that the club already want to replace him. He has a chance to get a good signing on bonus and payday, how many 34 year olds get that? He gets the chance to join a big club in a famous league and finish his career with a new challenge, again how many older players get that chance?

I think people viewing his choice as a judgement of United's current state are off the mark, its just co-incidence that we happen to be currently ****e because thats a move that he would be seriously considering no matter what state we were in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

So we're without 5 defenders with significant injuries.

Another is on loan in Italy until end of season.

One of the few currently fit defenders left is Phil Jones. Until he slips on a bar of soap... or something... and crocks himself again.

We're selling our cover at full back who is one of our few defenders who can actually stay fit.

And the club's response is to recall a guy I genuinely thought was sold ages ago?
    And who's main contribution this season is playing in the Leasing.com Trophy for a team near the bottom of League one.

Pathetic.

• Advertisement

Some truth to it?

Come on, if United were flying right now Young would still be mad to pass up this offer, I would doubt that whether he believes in the rebuild or not will have anything to do with it.

He is 34 years old and it is quite clear that the club already want to replace him. He has a chance to get a good signing on bonus and payday, how many 34 year olds get that? He gets the chance to join a big club in a famous league and finish his career with a new challenge, again how many older players get that chance?

I think people viewing his choice as a judgement of United's current state are off the mark, its just co-incidence that we happen to be currently ****e because thats a move that he would be seriously considering no matter what state we were in.

I guess I could've fleshed that out better. But, what is irking me the most about the whole situation is nothing to do with Ashley Young and his motives per se, as you rightly point out he has managed to cultivate for himself what looks like a great opportunity in the twilight of his career.

But rather, it's another example of the club fumbling around and failing to be proactive when it comes to squad affairs. I could have the timeline wrong but this feels all incredibly reactionary from the club yet again. They had a valuable member of the squad with only 6 months remaining on his contract yet were completely caught on the hop and only offered him an extension after they became aware that he may have another option. If the great efforts at squad building we're told about are really going on then surely Ole/Ed/whoever had a mark beside Ashley Young's name saying "must not be allowed leave the club before Summer 2020" and in that case they should've done 6 months ago what every other club does - the token 12-18 month contract extension that says we only really want you around for the next 6 months but we're willing to pay you for 18 if you can't get a better opportunity elsewhere after it.

But rather, it's another example of the club fumbling around and failing to be proactive when it comes to squad affairs.

Absolutely, I was just responding to a few posts that framed it as Young wanting out because he didn't buy into the rebuild. From Youngs point of view I doubt that is big factor at all.

From the clubs point of view it is a disgrace. If the loss of a 34 year old back up ex-winger causes big problems then your squad management has failed at a fundamental level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If Young has a good offer on the table from a team like inter he would be crazy not to take it. He owes the club nothing, be has been a very good servant and a proper pro over the years. The fact that he is apparently going to be such a loss is an indictment of the club rather than him.

Best of luck to him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

pjohnson wrote: »
    We've recalled Borthwick-Jackson, he couldnt get into the Tranmere side.

Wait and see he will be making the match day squad soon.Its all about promoting youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

played 2 games for tranmere this season we are fcuked-probably to do with young turning down the contract-another crazy decision by ole

Young is the last of the old guard in the squad who still have the old values of hard work etc.
    He might have his limitations but you never saw him simply accept defeat while others around him didn't seem to care.

Rumours are that the players like Ole because he's easy enough on them and let's a lot slide.
    They don't buy into his coaching style but like the easy life compared to under Jose or LVG.
    Hardly condusive to a winning mentality if they prefer to be on easy street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

If Young has a good offer on the table from a team like inter he would be crazy not to take it. He owes the club nothing, be has been a very good servant and a proper pro over the years. The fact that he is apparently going to be such a loss is an indictment of the club rather than him.

Best of luck to him.

been a diving cheat for most of his time stealing a hefty wage at utd good riddance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Zeek12 wrote: »
    So we're without 5 defenders with significant injuries.

Another is on loan in Italy until end of season.

One of the few currently fit defenders left is Phil Jones. Until he slips on a bar of soap... or something... and crocks himself again.

We're selling our cover at full back who is one of our few defenders who can actually stay fit.

And the club's response is to recall a guy I genuinely thought was sold ages ago?
    And who's main contribution this season is playing in the Leasing.com Trophy for a team near the bottom of League one.

Pathetic.

Borthwick Jackson is not being recalled to play for us, don't be ridiculous. We had the same reactions when Ethan Hamilton was recalled last week because he's a midfielder even though it was obvious he was being immediately loaned back out, which did happen a few days ago. He's played 6 times for Tranmere and he's out of contract this summer, if anything he's being released or just loaned out somewhere better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Zico ! wrote: »
    been a diving cheat for most of his time stealing a hefty wage at utd good riddance

Well that's just a load of shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Zico ! wrote: »

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Absolutely. All in all, he had his moments in his United career, re positioned himself as a defender, one of the last remaining to leave United with a PL medals winner, lovely bit of shíthousery about him and never spoke negatively about the club.

Prob should have been replaced 18 months ago but that says more about the club than himself. Best of luck to him. His first two goals in the 8-2 win v Arsenal, what a game that was.

In a year or two it'll be a Utd squad where there's only one player left who won a PL medal with the club.

Once Young is gone, it's just Smalling, Jones and de Gea left. It's crazy how quickly a title-winning team can be eroded, although that 12/13 squad had a lot of older players in it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement