Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    What do you think of the system generally if the right players are available. As in a prime Alves and Marcello either side as full backs
    No problem with it, with the right players. the two liverpool lads would be great in those roles, for example. Quality delivery and attacking from them (in general).

Need a better pivot in CM as well to dictate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

AWB is not good enough going forward to play as a wing back, and be the primary attacking outlet on the right hand side. I think it was pretty telling that Liverpool largely let him have the ball yesterday, instead focusing on marking / pressing other players instead.

Shaw does have the potential to be a good attacking wing back though. Question marks about him defensively and his fitness at the same time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I would be - because we don't have the players for it.

Our fullbacks aren't good enough at creating chances to put them into such roles.

Fullbacks would be for width, to have an outlet on the other side, to stretch the opponent and to move the team up the pitch. By moving up the pitch the team can press up field, win loose balls or make more interceptions in dangerous areas which suits United right now.

Shaw, Young, AWB and Dalot could all do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

3-5-2 not a system that any elite team has used consistently for a full season bar maybe Juventus a few years ago. The main problem is playing 3 centre half against one striker , it can be basically like using 10 men. Martial back to centre forward with Rashford and James either side I think is the best way to go atm.

Id play Fred with Pogba and McTominay in midfield. Fred I think will prove to be a better option than Perrierra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’m surprised Woody agreed to answer a lot of those questions, if I pulled a list of questions together myself that interview would have covered the vast majority.

It just shows how astonishing the last decade has been though, increasing the scouts from 12 to 50, putting 4/5 times the investment into the youth sides, why is this only happening now when we are in 13th place? Why has it taken a massive capitulation before the club start doing pretty standard things correctly?

It’s just too late now.

Woody and Ole keep pointing to last summer as a turning point, a “cold calm decision to give youth a chance” has resulted in us being bottom half of the table, that’s unforgivable, signing Maguire, AWB and James, who are all still untested at a decent level, are home runs in Woody’s eyes and meant to be a sign of things to come for the fans apparently.

He also said Ole’s good run fell off a cliff because the players weren’t used to the new “fast attacking football” which has been proven complete bullshít 6 months later.

I think he is a very talented snake oil salesman.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Fullbacks would be for width, to have an outlet on the other side, to stretch the opponent and to move the team up the pitch. By moving up the pitch the team can press up field, win loose balls or make more interceptions in dangerous areas which suits United right now.

Shaw, Young, AWB and Dalot could all do that.

I wouldn't put money on any of them to find someone in the box with a cross though. So to play them at wing back means while we may have a guy out their, we don't have a threat. You need your full backs in a 352 to offer an attacking threat.

I’m surprised Woody agreed to answer a lot of those questions, if I pulled a list of questions together myself that interview would have covered the vast majority.

It just shows how astonishing the last decade has been though, increasing the scouts from 12 to 50, putting 4/5 times the investment into the youth sides, why is this only happening now when we are in 13th place? Why has it taken a massive capitulation before the club start doing pretty standard things correctly?

It’s just too late now.

Woody and Ole keep pointing to last summer as a turning point, a “cold calm decision to give youth a chance” has resulted in us being bottom half of the table, that’s unforgivable, signing Maguire, AWB and James, who are all still untested at a decent level, are home runs in Woody’s eyes and meant to be a sign of things to come for the fans apparently.

He also said Ole’s good run fell off a cliff because the players weren’t used to the new “fast attacking football” which has been proven complete bullshít 6 months later.

I think he is a very talented snake oil salesman.
    The base questions weren't bad, but there was no pressure to follow up them.

Why was Ole appointed in March? why was he appointed at all? He says selling Lukaku/Sanchez was a cold and calm decision, who tf decided it was fine to do that and not replace them? Who TF thought it a good idea to lose to prominent central midfielders also, and replace neither of them?

What was the thought process and vision behind appointing LVg after Moyes? Jose after LVG? Ole after Jose?

His answers on the DoF issue were absolute BS, infuriatingly.

Its just another effing PR exercise that woodward has been on for the last couple of weeks, and I'm very weary of it. Something is up, and I don't like it one bit. Woodward is trying to make it seem like he is in control of a well structured club, when the evidence is very clear he is not, and the last 6 years under his leadership have been a disastorous joke.

The evidence is right there in front of us, he is rubbish at running a football club.

"I remember a meeting with Moyes very well...." THAT WAS IN THE FIRST YEAR - WTF have you been doing you banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

wadacrack wrote: »
    3-5-2 not a system that any elite team has used consistently for a full season bar maybe Juventus a few years ago. The main problem is playing 3 centre half against one striker , it can be basically like using 10 men. Martial back to centre forward with Rashford and James either side I think is the best way to go atm.

Id play Fred with Pogba and McTominay in midfield. Fred I think will prove to be a better option than Perrierra

Conte won Chelsea the league with that system

I wouldn't put money on any of them to find someone in the box with a cross though. So to play them at wing back means while we may have a guy out their, we don't have a threat. You need your full backs in a 352 to offer an attacking threat.

As we saw with Liverpool's right back yesterday, if the opponent keeps them back up the pitch then they have to cross from deep positions into a crowded box. Even noted good passers struggle.

As we saw later in the game, an average ball can be a good one if the full back gets well up the pitch and has lots of space, little pressure.

Typically United full backs have crossed from deep or under pressure. With wing backs they should both be able to go up the field at the same time, creating width, giving a chance to switch play with forwards already pinning back the opponents full backs it leads to space for them to drive into. They ste also in position to press and recover the ball in advanced positions if play breaks down.

I don't think it is the perfect system but seems like a logical one for United at the moment as it suits the group United have now and can allow the more direct play and to push up the pitch more.

• Advertisement

I was hoping the account would be banned for soap boxing but now people are getting yellows for calling it out, not much poing posting here untill the mod? (There is only one left?) Sort it out

wadacrack wrote: »

IMO you need your CB to capable of playing as an auxilarly DM - to be able to come out from the back, if you are playing a 3. Or you need some quality passing and line breaks from them.

If we were playing 3 in midfield (without a proper AM) I'd go Pogba, Fred, McTominay. But you would need pogba to play (and play well) further up the pitch as we can't have him behind Fred and McTominay picking the ball up off the CBs cause neither McTominay or Fred are good enough further forward to be the creators.

If you look at the players Pogba played well at Juve with - it was Pirlo and Vidal. You couldn't ask for better compliments to him. Pirlo to set tempo from deep and Vidal was possibly the best box to box midfielder in the world at the time. Pogba isn't good enough to be that player, without top players beside him giving him a platform to play on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As we saw with Liverpool's right back yesterday, if the opponent keeps them back up the pitch then they have to cross from deep positions into a crowded box. Even noted good passers struggle.

As we saw later in the game, an average ball can be a good one if the full back gets well up the pitch and has lots of space, little pressure.

Typically United full backs have crossed from deep or under pressure. With wing backs they should both be able to go up the field at the same time, creating width, giving a chance to switch play with forwards already pinning back the opponents full backs it leads to space for them to drive into. They ste also in position to press and recover the ball in advanced positions if play breaks down.

I don't think it is the perfect system but seems like a logical one for United at the moment as it suits the group United have now and can allow the more direct play and to push up the pitch more.

You also need midfielders willing to cover the spaces the wing backs leave when they push up, otherwise if the ball is turned over high up the pitch your central defenders are left in no mans land. That's basically want Henderson and Wijnaldum do.

You also need a DM who will protect the centre backs and willing to fall into a sort of 3 man defence.

rob316 wrote: »
    You also need midfielders willing to cover the spaces the wing backs leave when they push up, otherwise if the ball is turned over high up the pitch your central defenders are left in no mans land. That's basically want Henderson and Wijnaldum do.

You also need a DM who will protect the centre backs and willing to fall into a sort of 3 man defence.

Liverpool only play with two CBs (?)

In a three one can step up to DM and with McT and Fred in the side they have players who can cover the side exposed. The full back on other side has chance to make a recovery run.

United have the cbs in Lindelof, Rojo and Tuansebe who are comfortable going wide or stepping pit of the three defenders so I think it suits United now to bypass midfield in many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think it worked really well against Liverpool based on the threat they pose in combination with the players we have but I'd agree with the concerns over the added responsibility on AWB's shoulders to create. Dalot's best performances for the club came when playing as a wing back but not like he's going to play ahead of AWB.

I did think Andreas and Rashford played very well as a result of the formation though so it's certainly a good tool to have in the locker.

To be honest I'd love if we started tweaking our setup more often rather than going with a rigid 4-2-3-1 week in/week out like the past few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Love seeing Evra on MNF, if some of our players had half the desire and mentality that Evra has we'd be doing well. His love for UTD is so refreshing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Just looking at arsenal conceding, is it me or were there a lot more frightening centre back partnerships around 20 years ago.

There is a serious lack of top quality centre half’s these days. Never mind centre back pairings.

Maybe it’d be worth a thread on its own. Is it because of all this focus on distribution from centre half’s and not enough focus on the obvious attributes defenders need like defending and heading away corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

BDI wrote: »
    Just looking at arsenal conceding, is it me or were there a lot more frightening centre back partnerships around 20 years ago.

There is a serious lack of top quality centre half’s these days. Never mind centre back pairings.

Maybe it’d be worth a thread on its own. Is it because of all this focus on distribution from centre half’s and not enough focus on the obvious attributes defenders need like defending and heading away corners.

A lot less top players in all areas of the pitch.

it feels like the quality of players in general is lower than it used to be.

I think big basta CBs and strikers like Ruud, or Shevchenko, Shearer, Batistuta and others are very hard to spot in the game. I think players are growing up wanting to be creaters rather than one job clinical stubborn battering rams, at either end of the pitch.

Pheonix10 wrote: »

Maybe the academies are so scientific it’s actually become a process across the industry and players rarely stand out from the factory made player now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I was hoping the account would be banned for soap boxing but now people are getting yellows for calling it out, not much poing posting here untill the mod? (There is only one left?) Sort it out

Tis a farce what's going on

• Advertisement

Could somebody pm me what all this conspiracy stuff is. A fella seems to thank all my posts here but seems to be complaining about who thanks people’s posts in the other thread.

Could somebody pm me what all this conspiracy stuff is. A fella seems to thank all my posts here but seems to be complaining about who thanks people’s posts in the other thread.

Pheonix10 wrote: »

I don't think so.

It is the exposure of the game that would lead to that impression. Every game is accessible live and the days of seeing some clips on match of the day with one or two live games are gone.

James Beattie for example has 91 premier league goals to his name but I doubt anyone is nostalgic about his time in the league.

Quality of player and coaching across teams in closer and we don't see players stand way out on their own as much now. Defenders are better prepared for the great forward players compared to years ago.

Players like Lewandowski, Aguero, Benzema are some of the best strikers but as they can be seen so easily their legend does not grow like a Batistuta who we would have read about far more than we ever got to see him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

That result enough to keep ole in the job a little longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You should do a project on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

redzerdrog wrote: »
    That result enough to keep ole in the job a little longer?

It shouldn't be in the overall scheme of things but it probably will be.. the next 5 league games would be an absolute ideal new manager bedding in period

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

“How far United have fallen, delighted with a draw at home to Liverpool” Seems to be a common sentiment among Liverpool fans.

Was anyone here delighted with that result? 2 points dropped for me. Liverpool were absolutely sh*te and bar Ole’s cowardly drop off he would have been walking away with all 3.

No doubt the lads who regularly talk shít about Mick, accuse him of being a troll and an alternate account of The Good Ole Boys, got reprimanded too. No doubt they did. No doubt.

Don't anyone be telling me they didn't because that would surely have to be a lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

“How far United have fallen, delighted with a draw at home to Liverpool” Seems to be a common sentiment among Liverpool fans.

Was anyone here delighted with that result? 2 points dropped for me. Liverpool were absolutely sh*te and bar Ole’s cowardly drop off he would have been walking away with all 3.

Haven't read much of the threads here but plenty of Willy waving from Utd fans across social media about a 1-1 draw to be fair. Plenty of times to be satisfied with a draw but it's hardly something to be given the big one about

You might call it a cowardly drop off, some might say it was tiredness setting in and dealing with it. They played with an intensity they arnt used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You might call it a cowardly drop off, some might say it was tiredness setting in and dealing with it. They played with an intensity they arnt used to.

After 10 months they feckin should be used to that intensity, after all isnt that what Ole said we would be.. the fittest team in the league..

Ole is a bullshìtter, and the quicker people realise that the better.. hes so far out of depth its unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

They've been playing with the same intensity since Paris, fùck all.

Looking forward to you letting the mask slip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sorry, but if in October, if we are dropping points because we are ‘tired’ it’s going to be a fûcking long season.

I’m not enamored with the amount of pure blinkered Ole loyalists who are pulling out every and any excuses to pass off poor performances, shîte results, absolute crap play as we saw for the equalizer... “ahhh lads, bless them they were tired”... grand so, Manchester United and these are meant to be super fit, professional sportsmen, and at 90 minutes they can’t fûcking move their legs ?

I’m watching Sheffield United here put their bodies on the line after 86 minutes vs Arsenal, total focus, intensity, drive and determination to see the result through. Flying into tackles, desperate for those points for the club....5 places ahead of United in the table... obvious and some to see why... we have serious issues folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Actually think that match made me more sure that ole isn’t fit for the job

Maybe things are changing. Liverpool have bossed nearly everybody with intensity for about a year now. Why are people annoyed about united with a shoestring squad bossing the champions elect. Nailed on for 100 per cent points before the game. Probably never going to lose again.

I for one am enjoying it. I can see a lot of teams going into Liverpool games with the same tactics ole used and taking points off them.

Why does that anger people who are supposed to support the club?

• :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Maybe things are changing. Liverpool have bossed nearly everybody with intensity for about a year now. Why are people annoyed about united with a shoestring squad bossing the champions elect. Nailed on for 100 per cent points before the game. Probably never going to lose again.

I for one am enjoying it. I can see a lot of teams going into Liverpool games with the same tactics ole used and taking points off them.

Bossing the Champions elect? United havent played City yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I don't think so.

It is the exposure of the game that would lead to that impression. Every game is accessible live and the days of seeing some clips on match of the day with one or two live games are gone.

James Beattie for example has 91 premier league goals to his name but I doubt anyone is nostalgic about his time in the league.

Quality of player and coaching across teams in closer and we don't see players stand way out on their own as much now. Defenders are better prepared for the great forward players compared to years ago.

Players like Lewandowski, Aguero, Benzema are some of the best strikers but as they can be seen so easily their legend does not grow like a Batistuta who we would have read about far more than we ever got to see him.
    Agreed I find it odd to raise it as a possibility when a side concedes a goal from a corner. You'd swear no goal was ever scored from a corner prior to 2005.

People are angry because they did the hard work but pure laziness and switching off and nothing else meant that in injury time we fûcked away all that hard work... NOT great attacking play, NOT bad luck, NOT a moment of genius.... lazy shîte defending...

When has it ever been good enough for United to ‘take points off’ Liverpool ? NEVER... you’ve heard the phrase ‘set low standards and fail to meet them’... that’s what that phrase advocates and shows everything wrong with some fan attitudes... would you say we took points off Southampton or Wolves ?

• Advertisement

Trigger wrote: »
    After 10 months they feckin should be used to that intensity, after all isnt that what Ole said we would be.. the fittest team in the league..

Ole is a bullshìtter, and the quicker people realise that the better.. hes so far out of depth its unreal

"We will be known as the fastest and most aggressive team in the league" - Ole almost a year ago.

He knew there were fitness issues from the moment he came in. For him to be still talking about it and trying to excuse it now is some laugh.

Woodward is the ventriloquist, Ole is his dummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Think it’s interesting to see people following Roy Keanes narrative that Utd should just go and get Kane.
    The reality is that were Spurs willing to sell Kane they would easily expect a fee of £150m+.
    Kane would prob insist on being the highest paid player at the club.....we saw what happened with salary inflation at the club since Sanchez signed.
    So Pogba,de Gea etc would then want pay increases.
    As a Utd fan for over 30 years it pains me to say it but realistically Kane or any of the other ‘top’ players in the World currently would have serious concerns about joining Utd.

As a club we are caught in a downward spiral which is going to take years to fix,have an inexperienced Manager that might not even be in the hot seat come Seasons end so imo unfortunately it is going to prove increasingly difficult to attract good players to the club if we continue to struggle on the field.

Strumms wrote: »
    People are angry because they did the hard work but pure laziness and switching off and nothing else meant that in injury time we fûcked away all that hard work... NOT great attacking play, NOT bad luck, NOT a moment of genius.... lazy shîte defending...

When has it ever been good enough for United to ‘take points off’ Liverpool ? NEVER... you’ve heard the phrase ‘set low standards and fail to meet them’... that’s what that phrase advocates and shows everything wrong with some fan attitudes... would you say we took points off Southampton or Wolves ?

Look he got rid of the deadwood and the attitude players. He still needs to clear more out. There is a rot at the club where sweating seemed to be frowned upon for the last number of years.

It’s been said for years, sack them all and play the reserves, well ole did just that. He’s bringing through the youth team, there was a vast improvement on the last few performances.

I said a few weeks ago that provided there is no relegation worries I’m happy to give him time to build a team.

Delighted he saved his job to keep the process going. There is nobody I would rather manageing united back to glory.

If it takes a year for him to get in his signings and figure a few things out it’ll be all the more sweeter.

Problem is every club knows we are desperate for a striker, every player too... we will be fleeced in terms of transfer fee and wages... unless we get lucky and pull a rabbit out of the hat like we did with Ole himself....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I like Keane’s idea of Just go get Kane but in practice as said it won’t be that straight forward. He would be an excellent signing I believe tho

We have dropped 17 points from 9 games.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    We have dropped 17 points from 9 games.

We are 7 points off the top 4. With near 30 games to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

You think the aim is top 4 this season?

You think the aim is top 4 this season?

I still think we will be in and around. Do you think a new manager could have got a win against Liverpool? Pochetino probably smashes them every time they play each other. He has Harry Kane Erickson and Dele Alli.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I still think we will be in and around. Do you think a new manager could have got a win against Liverpool? Pochetino probably smashes them every time they play each other. He has Harry Kane Erickson and Dele Alli.

Anywhere between 3rd and let's say 13th maybe a place or two lower will be safe from relagation.. I think that's the gap you're giving Ole to work in and you'll be happy to give your support to him no doubt clog the thread up with the positive mentality stuff.

We loose away to Norwich and Chelsea win we are 10 points off the top 4...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement