Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

damowill wrote: »
    Getting a striker in last summer, that wasnt the right fit, may have helped in the short term.

There is a big assumption here that the striker was for the short term when that didn't need to be the case at all. I didn't want Mandzukic or Dybala either but how did the club get to that "short term" point in the first place?

Because there were quotes back in January/February about the work the club was doing on transfers and we knew from January that Lukaku didn't suit Ole's plans. So what was happening in those months? Why couldn't we find a player that suited the rebuild that Ole clearly wanted? There was a six month window there to identify and acquire a player that did suit the club as opposed to buying a player just for the sake of it.

I don't blame the manager for not making a panic buy, but in terms of the full picture a panic buy wasn't the only possible scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

xtal191 wrote: »

Ole Gunnar Moyeskjaer with comments like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

PARlance wrote: »
    Would that make AZ European Champs? Could you imagine the cricket score they would put up against Chelsea.

It's only as grim as you want it to be!

It's grim because United struggled to break down Astana and had to rely upon a 17 year old academy graduate to produce a moment of magic to win us the game at Old Trafford.

In contrast, a team 4th in the Eredivisie were able to spank them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's grim because United struggled to break down Astana and had to rely upon a 17 year old academy graduate to produce a moment of magic to win us the game at Old Trafford.

In contrast, a team 4th in the Eredivisie were able to spank them.

We're 14th in the Premier League.

We're 14th in the Premier League.

It's Astana.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's Astana.

You specifically compared us to the 4th place team in the Eredivisie as if that means we're better than them. We're the 14th placed team in the PL. We have no midfield or creativity and struggle to score goals. At this moment in time AZ are probably as good as, if not better than us. It doesn't matter if it's Astana.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We're now at that point in a managers reign where he knows he's not able to fix the problems and is going to be sacked, the players know the manager is going to be sacked, and the fans have lost all faith too. The point where we've crossed past the idea it can be turned around.

So, inevitably, he'll still be here for a few more weeks yet.

You specifically compared us to the 4th place team in the Eredivisie as if that means we're better than them. We're the 14th placed team in the PL. We have no midfield or creativity and struggle to score goals. At this moment in time AZ are probably as good as, if not better than us. It doesn't matter if it's Astana.

We're singing off the same hymn sheet here.

My original post was it is grim that AZ spanked Astana 6-0 while a club like Man United struggled badly. I know we've no midfield, no creativity, we're shyte.

The poster in reply to me said:
    It's only as grim as you want it to be!

My point being, it is very grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Why is Williams pace a worry.......is he slow?

He looks pretty fast to me so I'm not sure where the worry of his pace has come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    We're now at that point in a managers reign where he knows he's not able to fix the problems and is going to be sacked, the players know the manager is going to be sacked, and the fans have lost all faith too. The point where we've crossed past the idea it can be turned around.

weeks?

I'm thinking March.

And then next September we will hear how it was a difficult summer due to the change of manager so close to the window, but the two player we signed really will make all the difference and are concrete proof of the new philosophy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

liverpool fan here

Why the moaning and groaning - I mean really, none of you have an ounce of patience.

If the club sack ole, then your in more trouble, as they will have given in to fan pressure on every occasion. From a club who has been where you are now, looking in, I can see some improvements. You cant go buying a whole team in one window, You got maguire, awb, and james at the start of the year, you will more than likely get a striker in jan plus maybe a cm - the three brought in are good to very good players. another 2 good to very good players in jan will kick you on towards the end of the season.

If they stick with ole and he gets to mould his team buying 4-7 players between 2 windows each year, it wont take long till you have at least a competitive team, if things stabilize then and your back in champions league at least, the united of old may start to creep back in.

Whats really telling is currently, chelsea, arsenal and spurs are dire, and there was never an easier season to be 3rd or 4th and papering over the cracks. I believe ole is content to wait for signings, but in the meantime has given up on some of the squad as they are pretty ****!

Jan will ultimately tell the story, but it looks like a direction has been taken, and the long slow process has started. I cant see you in a title race for at least 3 or 4 years, but top 6 and top 4 are doable over the next 2-3, which is progress.

I remember when benitez came to us - a very slow process, but he finished 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd and things went to **** in his last season and went to 5th again, the point is, 5 / 4 / 3 / 2 positions are clearly progress and the fans just had to be patient, it didnt work out, but thats football, you will never walk a league title again, no one will and if thats whats expected from the fans then the club will never be allowed to progress naturally due to the impatience of its own fans holding it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I don’t buy into comparing results like that much. AZ beat Astana 6-0 and United only beat them 1-0.
    By that logic AZ should have beaten United comfortably yet they didn’t.

United walloped Chelsea - Chelsea beat Newcastle - Newcastle beat United. Different games, different lineups, pointless comparing individual games like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ardinn wrote: »
    liverpool fan here

Why the moaning and groaning - I mean really, none of you have an ounce of patience.

If the club sack ole, then your in more trouble, as they will have given in to fan pressure on every occasion. From a club who has been where you are now, looking in, I can see some improvements. You cant go buying a whole team in one window, You got maguire, awb, and james at the start of the year, you will more than likely get a striker in jan plus maybe a cm - the three brought in are good to very good players. another 2 good to very good players in jan will kick you on towards the end of the season.

If they stick with ole and he gets to mould his team buying 4-7 players between 2 windows each year, it wont take long till you have at least a competitive team, if things stabilize then and your back in champions league at least, the united of old may start to creep back in.

Whats really telling is currently, chelsea, arsenal and spurs are dire, and there was never an easier season to be 3rd or 4th and papering over the cracks. I believe ole is content to wait for signings, but in the meantime has given up on some of the squad as they are pretty ****!

Jan will ultimately tell the story, but it looks like a direction has been taken, and the long slow process has started. I cant see you in a title race for at least 3 or 4 years, but top 6 and top 4 are doable over the next 2-3, which is progress.

I remember when benitez came to us - a very slow process, but he finished 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd and things went to **** in his last season and went to 5th again, the point is, 5 / 4 / 3 / 2 positions are clearly progress and the fans just had to be patient, it didnt work out, but thats football, you will never walk a league title again, no one will and if thats whats expected from the fans then the club will never be allowed to progress naturally due to the impatience of its own fans holding it back.

Many don't have a problem with the signings made, or the (talked about) change in transfer philosophy.

The issue some are pointing at is there is absolutely no evidence, at all, that Ole is the right man for the job or capable of managing a side to compete for the PL or CL.

You point to Benitez, and a slow process of still clear progress. There are no signs of progress at United. We are a poorer side now in every respect than this time 12 months ago.

The vision of what United should be, and could be in 12 or 24 months should not be wed to Ole - if he isn't good enough none of the rest will matter. He has shown no ability to get more from the player he has and does like, he has shown no ability to make them better players. United can, and IMO, should, sack Ole without deviating from the 'new' philosphy they are talking about. the point of a having a philosophy to build the club on is that it should out last any one manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Williams got MOTM, fair play

Himself and Garner at times played a much higher tempo game than the rest of the team. He stood out like a sore thumb in a good way.

Hopefully the experienced players don’t bring him down to their level.

We will have to give him a lengthy new contract before he goes surely its only good manners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

beno619 wrote: »
    Himself and Garner at times played a much higher tempo game than the rest of the team. He stood out like a sore thumb in a good way.

Hopefully the experienced players don’t bring him down to their level.

That’s exactly what I thought when watching. Williams especially looked great just running at full pelt down the line at every opportunity.

I'm just saying that we don't know the degree to which Ole recognised the possibility for our attack to be so badly affected by a few injuries during the summer nor do we know the measures he did or did not take to have the club address them.

An injury to one attacker had us relying on an 17 year old forward unless you include Lingard as an attacking option. If Olé couldn't see that he really shouldn't be in the job.

damowill wrote: »
    But Mandzukic is 33, and if you buy him you would have to give him a 2-3 year contract so are stuck with him for a few years.

I really don't get this logic. I'm fairly sure Mandzukic would have been delighted to come an battle for a place here on reasonable money. He would have been a better option for 80% of the games we struggled in than Martial & Rashford. Would have been great value for a year or two.

There's nothing positive about having a paper thin squad, holding onto the likes of Fellaini and Lukaku wouldn't have stopped Greenwood or Garner from getting the right opportunities this season.

This long term planning bollix really has brainwashed people, it's purely a cost cutting exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep I have fûck all interest in players for the future. Players for NOW is what we need... giving players like Greenwood and Garner opportunity ? Totally, the right opportunity, cup games galore the odd carefully chosen league game... planning for the future is all fine and dandy but the present and immediate are the priority. Players who when picked in the team who are good enough to perform week in week out. Not this bullshît so called romantic ideal of a team of kids, fledglings or babes ? In this world of more cut throat and competitive football a mix of youth and experience, what we have is a mix of youth and experienced average... we need up and comers who perform and established consistent performers, we are a ways from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Talk earlier from Di Marzio that Roma are looking to sign Smalling permanently already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Talk earlier from Di Marzio that Roma are looking to sign Smalling permanently already.

Excellent news.

Anyone one else feeling slightly uncomfortable about the thought that they might actually want Rodgers to be our next manager ? :pac:

Are teams not showing Leicester the respect they deserve or has Rodgers effectively coached them into a side that can easily bypass a bus ? Or is it a bit of both ?

The stats say he's turned them into a possession based side but Vardy's numbers are a little abnormal right now.

Jamie Vardy’s Leicester form analysed with Brendan Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Maybe we can throw in a few more while we're at it

If they buy Smalling it means they'll buy anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

God that Leicester team is playing some football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Headshot wrote: »

We can make it like one of those Shopping Channel ads

“But wait, there’s more.....”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Leicester scoring goals for fun. Norwich are below Southampton and Southampton look muck. Watch us scrap a 1 nil if we're lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Headshot wrote: »

Has he not been playing well for them?

how long is Rodgers at Leicester again?

Has he not been playing well for them?

I'm sure he has but people hate Smalling & Jones.

Both have had issues and when fit (yes i know Jones is never fit) are good squad options and can and have looked good in well organised (Fergie, LVG and Mourinho) teams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Southampton are having a shocker and lost it when Bertrand was sent off.

Just for context.

DM_7 wrote: »

Just for context.

Not all teams who lose a man go on to get absolutely spanked in fact it happens rarely for context

how long is Rodgers at Leicester again?

He hasn't had to do a "rebuild" and his Leicester team don't look that fit. :rolleyes:

But around the time Ole was permanently appointed to answer your question.

My friends were talking earlier in the week and was saying we should beat Norwich, they have a poor defense and all I kept thinking was have you seen our attacking?????

DM_7 wrote: »

Just for context.

Southhamton played for with 10 men against us for 20 mins and we didn't lay a glove on them, they probably would have been fine playing with 10 for 80 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We look fitter than Leicester

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

0-8 is way beyond "the other team had a player sent off".

Rodgers has Leicester up in second now. He'd be a massive upgrade on Ole tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

An inanimate carbon rod would be a massive upgrade on Ole.

9-0 ffs

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In 1 game Leicester have scored more than our last 12 games or something. Still scratching my head how we beat them to be honest.

They've got 80 million in the bank courtesy of their much better scouting/recruitment policy and Man United too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Can't just ignore that they completely lost their head. They conceded 2 more within 7 mins of the red card.

Well done to Leicester for destroying them obviously. They were fantastic in their own right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Brendan Rodgers or Eddie Howe next lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

The biggest difference between us and Leicester really isn't the manager, it's the players. Every single one of those Leicester players play their heart out for the team and fans for the win.

We have a bunch of over paid lads who have no desire or passion for the club or jersey or fans. That is new for United, previously we often succeeded with average players who played out of their skin game after game. It's a trend I feel won't be reversed easily, and certainly something that won't be changed with marquee signings each transfer window.

I don't think Ole is the man for the job, but I don't know who is. It's our culture that is missing now and Leicester seem to have what we need.

The biggest difference between us and Leicester really isn't the manager, it's the players. Every single one of those Leicester players play their heart out for the team and fans for the win.

That same Leicester squad was flattering to deceive under Claude Puel, so I think the new manager has definitely made a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

beno619 wrote: »
    That same Leicester squad was flattering to deceive under Claude Puel, so I think the new manager has infidelity made a difference.

Yeah, you're right. A new manager has made a massive difference to them, but I don't think Brendan Rogers could have the same effect on the likes of Pogba and Martial. They're "bigger" than the club with no desire, or we have to admit they're just bang average players.

ricero wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers or Eddie Howe next lads.

Pretty pathetic you manage to keep this ****e up especially as you were carded for it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

said it months ago to a neighbour of mine who is a pool fan that we should of hired Brendan Rodgers last season and I will say it again we should of hired Rodgers and hes a united fan to boot,and only for the gerrard slip would of won the league for pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pretty pathetic you manage to keep this ****e up especially as you were carded for it before

What else do you expect?

pjohnson wrote: »
    What else do you expect?

Absolutely nothing tbf but i can still have a little rant about :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's not just Rodgers or the attitude of the current crop of Leicester players that's the difference between where both clubs stand right now. It's so much more which is the biggest worry. Just like making Harry Maguire the most expensive defender in the world hasn't solved all our problems, replacing Ole with Rodgers would not resolve everything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah, you're right. A new manager has made a massive difference to them, but I don't think Brendan Rogers could have the same effect on the likes of Pogba and Martial. They're "bigger" than the club with no desire, or we have to admit they're just bang average players.

Then fúck them, if they can't play with the right attitude then there's no place. I'd rather have an average player working hard than a class player not bothered.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement