Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Someone stole his hat,he must have some crap haircut as straight away he pulled up his hood.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Trigger wrote: »
    Just on mctominay, looks like he is after injuring himself.. the cameras panned to him at the end and he was sitting on the ground holding his ankle. Would be disappointing for him to miss a few games as he has really stepped up and has been one of the better players this season..

Plus we are already sparse, in that area

Best player on the park yesterday

Only seeing highlights but martial looked very good in them peno miss aside, his control and link up play seemed very good, and his finish for his goal was class, we havent had a striker eith that kind of class in a long time

The defending for the last goal was shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The defending for the last goal was shocking

Maguire didnt cover that side for some reason. He has been solid so far but was hoping he would be a bit more of a leader in those situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

Only seeing highlights but martial looked very good in them peno miss aside, his control and link up play seemed very good, and his finish for his goal was class, we havent had a striker eith that kind of class in a long time

He was his usual mixed bag. Annoymous for large parts of the game but had some nice moments and his finish and link up play for his goal was gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Maguire didnt cover that side for some reason. He has been solid so far but was hoping he would be a bit more of a leader in those situations.
    For some reason he was instructing Garner to track back into the area the he was occupying himself but Garner tried to win the ball back resulting in that massive gaping hole. Not sure if it was the right call but I felt a little bit relieved when I realised he didn't just wildly run towards the ball with no sense of what was happening around him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

S.M.B. wrote: »
    For some reason he was instructing Garner to track back into the area the he was occupying himself but Garner tried to win the ball back resulting in that massive gaping hole. Not sure if it was the right call but I felt a little bit relieved when I realised he didn't just wildly run towards the ball with no sense of what was happening around him.

He probably did that as Hernandez had a supporting runner on his left.

Garner took the chance if making an interception and just missed it.

I think in a closer game United just foul him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Young's positioning during the match was horrendous, he seemed to think he was playing as a wingback and was constantly starting further forward than he should be. That left acres for maguire to cover. For the goal i don't think young was anywhere near where he should have been

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Wishfully hoping Martials return will help us a lot going forward.

31 games under Ole.
    13 starts: 77% win rate, average 2.3 goals per game.
    18 without: 28% win rate, average 1.1 goals per game.

I think it would take a good season or so of consistency for me to really have full faith in him but he certainly improves the team.

Yeah I do. You hate pogba so proect a bunch of crap onto anything he does. Its the only explanation for such rubbish.

That is news to me. You are having a mare with this and are getting bizarrely personal. I'll leave you to your crusade or whatever this episode is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Referee should have had both penalties retaken as Krul was well off the line in both. He's a crafty goalkeeper at penalties, no wonder LVG brought him on just for the penalties in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

Shite penalties that deserved to be saved, all the same. If you're not confident of picking out the corners with a penalty, then you need to go higher. Half way between the middle and the posts, and along the ground, is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

FatherTed wrote: »
    Referee should have had both penalties retaken as Krul was well off the line in both. He's a crafty goalkeeper at penalties, no wonder LVG brought him on just for the penalties in the WC.

Also a big troll as well for the penos. Walking to one side outdid the goal and then the other. Gesturing at the crowd. Approaching the player before getting in his goal.

Also grabbed Martial by the shirt after the peno miss when the corner was being lined up. Glad to see Martial not reacting. Whatever about the other shousery, grabbing the player that missed by the shirt to goad him is poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

PARlance wrote: »
    31 games under Ole.

I think it would take a good season or so of consistency for me to really have full faith in him but he certainly improves the team.

The thing I'm taking from that stat, is that this is the guy Ole has pinned his hopes on this season to lead the line, if you take out the games he has missed this season would I be right in saying that he's missed close to 50% of the games Ole has managed? Between injuries/loss of form the mind boggles how you say to yourself yeah this is the main guy for me going forward.

I don't doubt his ability as he showed with his second yesterday, injuries and losses of form are also there for everyone to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

look at him compared to Lukaku. He's injured, it happens.

Lukaku was forced out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

PARlance wrote: »
    31 games under Ole.

Not convinced those stats are telling the full story.
    Martial missed a few games in last third of last season where our form was so p*ss poor we couldn't have won even with him.

Some of our best results/performances under Ole actually came when he wasn't involved: the 3-1 away to PSG, the 2-0 FA Cup win at Chelsea, the 3-1 win away to Palace, 3-2 win over Southampton.
    The 1-0 win away to Leicester he came on as sub for last 20 but didn't contribute much.

Nonetheless it's still good to see him back.
    Rashford isn't comfortable leading the line on his own. He needs a partner to build an understanding with. Third goal yesterday is hopefully a sign of that and fingers crossed there's more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

adox wrote: »
    Also a big troll as well for the penos. Walking to one side outdid the goal and then the other. Gesturing at the crowd. Approaching the player before getting in his goal.

Also grabbed Martial by the shirt after the peno miss when the corner was being lined up. Glad to see Martial not reacting. Whatever about the other shousery, grabbing the player that missed by the shirt to goad him is poor form.

Isnt this the exact scenario that VAR is for, or so I thought

The Rashford peno was poor and deserved to be saved but Krul stepping so far off his line before the ball is kicked was plainly obvious.

Its been glossed over given the win but in a tighter game that selectivitity by VAR is going to cost points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't see where a Pogba fits into this side although I don't see him in a Jersey for Utd again at this stage of he's out till December

In at 10 in place of Perriera, might finally be time for him to put in some consistent performances.

Ya someone got to retake a penalty earlier in the season for a player encroaching the area, a goalkeeper coming off his line should be even more obvious,

Not that we got to see it on motd,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Ya someone got to retake a penalty earlier in the season for a player encroaching the area, a goalkeeper coming off his line should be even more obvious,

Not that we got to see it on motd,

Before the ball ia struck Krul steps forward. Forget VAR for a second, the ref and two linesmen what are they watching

Im all for VAR but its got to be consistent

• beno619 wrote: »
    In at 10 in place of Perriera, might finally be time for him to put in some consistent performances.

Valid point

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Before the ball ia struck Krul steps forward. Forget VAR for a second, the ref and two linesmen what are they watching

Im all for VAR but its got to be consistent

I believe VAR isn't used for penalty kicks. It should be the ref's call, the AR is to watch for the ball going over the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

FatherTed wrote: »
    I believe VAR isn't used for penalty kicks. It should be the ref's call, the AR is to watch for the ball going over the line.

The Assistant Ref is responsible for looking for encroachment (and they've goal line tech in the Prem).

I can't see how Rashford's penalty was not retaken. I don't think I've seen as blatant a case of a goal keeper being off his line before. It's common enough for keepers to take a single step forward as part of their dive but krul literally took one step forward and then took another step as he dived to his right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Damien360

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I can't see how Rashford's penalty was not retaken. I don't think I've seen as blatant a case of a goal keeper being off his line before. It's common enough for keepers to take a single step forward as part of their dive but krul literally took one step forward and then took another step as he dived to his right.

Every goalkeeper does this. There was a penalty retake early in the year (can’t remember if PL or not) based on the goalkeeper moving. It is physically impossible to jump sideways with any reasonable ability from a standing position. You have to allow some movement.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Every goalkeeper does this. There was a penalty retake early in the year (can’t remember if PL or not) based on the goalkeeper moving. It is physically impossible to jump sideways with any reasonable ability from a standing position. You have to allow some movement.
    Which is why you should be stood behind the line and you step forward onto the line or you don't complain if you get pinged for not doing so.

As I said, goalkeepers often get away with stepping off the line as part of their dive but from what I saw krul stepped forward off his line and then took another step to get some momentum. It was a lot more blatant than the average penalty.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/08/22/ifab-tell-premier-league-to-get-in-line-on-var-usage

So the Premier League were contacted about VAR and penalties yet it looks like they ignored it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Someone stole his hat,he must have some crap haircut as straight away he pulled up his hood.:):)

Was that Pogba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

beno619 wrote: »
    Lukaku was forced out of the club.

Forced, wanted to leave, made an offer we couldn't refuse or he dropped dead one morning*, whatever.
    The clubs main mistake was in not replacing him with at least a back up striker.

* Not to be taken as abusing Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

All our 2000 PL goals are streaming on Uniteds official youtube now.

• pjohnson wrote: »
    All our 2000 PL goals are streaming on Uniteds official youtube now.

Good watch with the coffee, cheers dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm guessing the last while of that stream really drags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

https://twitter.com/sampilger/status/1188936977015623685

Wonder if they'd be interested in a Phil Jones.

• Watching the stream, I forgot how ginger Scholes was when he was younger :P

• https://twitter.com/sampilger/status/1188936977015623685

I will be fuming if we lose another without replacement :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They will do it. Older player that clearly doesn't fit into Ole's "plans", already just a squad player, they will take the deal and worry about getting the right player in later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looks like United are managing the squad exactly like I do in Fifa career mode. Sell all your good players and stock up on youth.

• Advertisement

We are overstocked with CB's at least one could go without being replaced (argubaly two but considering they are all made of glass we need an extra spare.)

Maguire
    Lindelöf
    Tuanzebe
    Rojo
    Jones
    Bailly

(The last two havent made PL appearances yet.)

Edit. Whoops ya'll mean Matic not Jones. Nevermind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Agreed.

As per Buckety, Matic clearly isn't a first choice player under Ole, and there are reports Matic had 'clear the air talks' with Ole a few weeks ago when it became clear he wasn't first choice anymore (rightly so, imo).

But for the love of god we can't lose Fellaini, Herrera and Matic without serious work being done to replace them.

The management of transfers is beyond terrible at United - without selling anyone else we need to midfielders and a forward at a minimum.

Selling Matic, and probably selling Pogba (next summer, imo) means an absolutely massive overhaul of the squad is needed.

I worry that rather than solving some of the problems in january, that we will just add even more problems and selection issues.

49 years old today. Best "stop gap" free signing ever

edwin-van-der-sar-of-manchester-united-celebrates-with-the-barclays-picture-id114500271?s=612x612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

https://twitter.com/sampilger/status/1188936977015623685

Sure Ole was saying he "found" himself a couple of Premier League players in Belgrade. Few more trips and a couple of extra checked luggage bags we'll be grand.

pjohnson wrote: »
    49 years old today. Best "stop gap" free signing ever

edwin-van-der-sar-of-manchester-united-celebrates-with-the-barclays-picture-id114500271?s=612x612

Needs loads of GIFs etc of that trophy being lifted. ;)

Ole said some of the young lads will start against Chelsea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

pjohnson wrote: »
    We are overstocked with CB's at least one could go without being replaced (argubaly two but considering they are all made of glass we need an extra spare.)

Maguire
    Lindelöf
    Tuanzebe
    Rojo
    Jones
    Bailly

(The last two havent made PL appearances yet.)

Edit. Whoops ya'll mean Matic not Jones. Nevermind.

If Bailly wasn't always hurt, I'd think he'd have been gone in the summer.

I've a feeling Woodward will go for Rice or Longstaff in January and overpay. There's probably a cheaper, better alternative available abroad.

Ole bigging up Fred to cover for Pogba,read into that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I've a feeling Woodward will go for Rice or Longstaff in January and overpay. There's probably a cheaper, better alternative available abroad.

Ole bigging up Fred to cover for Pogba,read into that what you will.

really dont see them as a upgrade on Mct and dont see them being the 2nd midfielder beside him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

sky88 wrote: »
    really dont see them as a upgrade on Mct and dont see them being the 2nd midfielder beside him

Would they be an upgrade on Matic? Would they simply be a replacement for Fellaini or Herrera?

It's not always about replacing your first choice, but creating options and depth and competition. I'd welcome either of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement