Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rice would definitly be an upgrade on anything we have that resembles his position.

3 man midfield of rice, mctominay and a very good creative midfielder that wants to play for the club would be decent midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

jayo26 wrote: »
    Rice would definitly be an upgrade on anything we have that resembles his position.

3 man midfield of rice, mctominay and a very good creative midfielder that wants to play for the club would be decent midfield.

Bruno Fernandes ideal for it.

Not sure why Ole isn't listening to me all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Did anyone read Ed Woodwards interview with Andy Mitten on United We Stand?

I subscribe to the fanzine so get the mag every month. It was very insightful, especially the new Recruitment systems and policies they have in place. He did say he just signs off the cheques, which is BS, but the rest of it was very good imo. We have increased our scouts from 12 to 60, and put in our bespoke software that feeds in opta stats as well as their own scouting reports and analysis, from which they try and identify players. That leads them to 10 possible players (for a particular position), so then then do a deep dive on each of those players and scout them rigorously, and agree on 3 players to target. He mentioned AWB was their no1 RB target but if he failed they'd go to the no2, etc

damowill wrote: »
    Did anyone read Ed Woodwards interview with Andy Mitten on United We Stand?

I subscribe to the fanzine so get the mag every month. It was very insightful, especially the new Recruitment systems and policies they have in place. He did say he just signs off the cheques, which is BS, but the rest of it was very good imo. We have increased our scouts from 12 to 60, and put in our bespoke software that feeds in opta stats as well as their own scouting reports and analysis, from which they try and identify players. That leads them to 10 possible players (for a particular position), so then then do a deep dive on each of those players and scout them rigorously, and agree on 3 players to target. He mentioned AWB was their no1 RB target but if he failed they'd go to the no2, etc

At least 5 years late at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

We should have broke the bank to get Van Der Sar from Juve in 2001, beaten by Fulham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I think ndidi is better than Rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Rice is average at best. Maybe if we could get him for 20m as a backup. But of course it would cost 50+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

We should have broke the bank to get Van Der Sar from Juve in 2001, beaten by Fulham.

He had a horrible time at Juve. His form was awful, hence the likes of Fulham picking him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Zlatan on Instagram saying he's going to Spain.
    That rules out a return to United for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

39 next birthday so I’d say that rules him of of returning to United for the rest of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

adox wrote: »
    He had a horrible time at Juve. His form was awful, hence the likes of Fulham picking him up.

United had already commited to signing Bosnich iirc.
    EDIT: I was misremembering a quote from Fergie. He said we should have gone for VDS in 99 when he left Ajax but we had commited to Bosnich at the time.
    Barthez was signed the summer before VDS signed for Fulham.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Matic is in terrible form and is not missed while injured. Not surprised to see he would want to leave, McT replaced him easily. Fred and Andreas are capable of more for the team than he seems to be. Tuanzebe can step into midfield or United can go with three CBs.

Obviously I want to see the club get a quality cm in but I think Matic has become a 'player option' more than the important player he was when he arrived.

For a gameplan that requires fast transition,Matic is a liability. Too slow on the ball and never received the ball on the half turn which results in sideways or backward passes at best and at worst gets closed down.
    When he first joined,he was quick to get the ball forward but now his lack of pace means a safe ball every time.
    For a big lad, he's very easily bullied on the field too.
    McTominay does the same job only better.

The squad is thread bare as is atm, without getting rid of anyone else without replacements, and we are still in 4 comps its ridiculous stuff

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I think ndidi is better than Rice

Agreed. I don't think Leicester would sell him for less than £80 million though.

They know United are desperate. Similar to the £50 million asking price on Longstaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

DM_7 wrote: »
    Matic is in terrible form and is not missed while injured. Not surprised to see he would want to leave, McT replaced him easily. Fred and Andreas are capable of more for the team than he seems to be. Tuanzebe can step into midfield or United can go with three CBs.

Obviously I want to see the club get a quality cm in but I think Matic has become a 'player option' more than the important player he was when he arrived.

Matic looks like a guy who has had an injury or two too many. Looks to be a 31 year old trapped in a 41 year olds body. Just looks so immobile and ponderous in our midfield now. I’d have no issues saying bye bye... again though, needs to be in the summer we can’t be shipping folks out in January without immediate replacements certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

While losing Matic without replacing in the squad would be another short sighted problem, I'd also be worried about the age and experience of the squad. Yes, Matic is not the player he was 2 or 3 years ago, but I've only ever heard about how much of a professional player he is. He also has quite a lot of experience. I really think these are 2 qualities we need to hold onto for the moment. Should he leave we have a central midfield of Pogba(26), Scott(22), Pereira(23), Fred(26), Garner(18)!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

If Matic is more than happy to take on that role as a squad player who's happy to mentor this young squad of players and play only when needed then we'd be mad to look at moving him on. I get the sense that he's not one bit happy in doing so and he is keen for week in, week out first team football. This is only based on the tidbits of info that get reported so could all be bullsh*t.

Said the exact same thing when he came out with those questionable comments after ole dropped him.

https://twitter.com/UTDAcrossDaPond/status/1189296445704364033?s=20

Apologies for the utter shyte quality of this video

Mason Greenwood with a superb goal for the u21s v Doncaster this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

https://twitter.com/UTDAcrossDaPond/status/1189296445704364033?s=20

Apologies for the utter shyte quality of this video

A better clip

https://streamja.com/elqG

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Looks like Fellaini is back playing at #49

Well then time to part ways once we have a replacement in. Clearly isn't really fked playing for us if he is trying to pull a Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Does Greenwood playing last night mean United are going full strength tonight? Seems a bit reckless considering the amount Rashford and Martial will be expected to play the next few weeks on top of one coming back from injury and the other being run into the ground. I suppose Lingard and Mata could play but bar Greenwood who can step in as a striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Need to go full on tonight keep the momentum and team dynamics going anyone thinking or saying otherwise is delusional, the team needs wins not a showcase of youth or academy players. The match is important it's played tonight and finishes tonight extra time and penos if needed get out and win with a full strength team.

• League Cup? Tonight means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I don't agree we should be risking an already frail squad by getting them injured midweek.

Extra Time and penos would be a disaster given how we are dealing with said injures this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

League Cup? Tonight means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I don't agree we should be risking an already frail squad by getting them injured midweek.

Extra Time and penos would be a disaster given how we are dealing with said injures this season.

No extra time until the semis. Straight to pens after 90 mins.

Need to go full on tonight keep the momentum and team dynamics going anyone thinking or saying otherwise is delusional, the team needs wins not a showcase of youth or academy players. The match is important it's played tonight and finishes tonight extra time and penos if needed get out and win with a full strength team.

I don't think United have a squad capable of rotating much. Though Solskjaer has implied we'll see Williams and Garner.

Chong and Greenwood played a full match last night, so not likely to see either of them. Maybe Greenwood makes the bench but wouldn't seem United are planning on him playing much.

Gomes didn't play last night but also didn't seem to travel with the squad yesterday, so no idea what the story is there. Maybe injured. Tuanzebe injured anyway.

So there isn't much scope for rotation at RB or CB. Maybe Williams at LB/LWB? Matic and Pogba out so the only CMs to pick from are McTominay, Fred and Garner (effing laughable). if Greenwood and Chong aren't being considered for a start then the front players will be coming from Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Martial, Rashford.

It is such a terrible squad, and an indictment of everyone involved in creating it. a Pathetic collection of players.

Ole can't really win...play a weaker team, get rolled over and confidence lost again. Play a strong team, get a result but get an injury and people will blame him...

We can't have both. I think we should play our best team.

There is another international break coming up so some can rest again then.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Ole can't really win...play a weaker team, get rolled over and confidence lost again. Play a strong team, get a result but get an injury and people will blame him...

Ole can't win partly because of the terrible squad he has accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Saw that clip and hadn't realised it was for the u21s in the EFL Trophy. Was wondering why he was playing last night for the u21s instead of being involved tonight but the fact that he's playing against senior league one players is a great experience.

We are also through tot he last 32 so there could be a trip to wembley for these guys yet.

Manchester United have almost completed a deal to sign Juventus and Croatia striker Mario Mandzukic, 33, in January. (Tuttomercatoweb - in Italian)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Your moaning away about something that's not gonna even happen..... Bloody typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Manchester United have almost completed a deal to sign Juventus and Croatia striker Mario Mandzukic, 33, in January. (Tuttomercatoweb - in Italian)

Why the fúck that wasn't done in August I'll never know, presuming it will happen. I still think going in for someone like Belotti or Haaland would be better than a short term fix. I don't think United would have the pull to get Werner but if so I'd like to think they'd go for him too.

Liam O wrote: »
    Why the fúck that wasn't done in August I'll never know, presuming it will happen. I still think going in for someone like Belotti or Haaland would be better than a short term fix. I don't think United would have the pull to get Werner but if so I'd like to think they'd go for him too.

I just don't understand the logic of such a signing now.

How have we not come up with a better target, and positioned ourselves to get it done?

• Advertisement

**** him out. He's not worth that money anyway

Does Greenwood playing last night mean United are going full strength tonight? Seems a bit reckless considering the amount Rashford and Martial will be expected to play the next few weeks on top of one coming back from injury and the other being run into the ground. I suppose Lingard and Mata could play but bar Greenwood who can step in as a striker?

Martial hasn't played in 2 months and will enivently get injured again. That guy gets plenty of rest over a season

• Pheonix10 wrote: »

His fault. And the club.
    That's the squad they accepted in the summer and it's under his training regimes Utd keep getting injuries.

• No extra time until the semis. Straight to pens after 90 mins.
    Your moaning away about something that's not gonna even happen..... Bloody typical.

Not the primary point I was making at all, nice snip though

Werner is quoted as saying he wants to play in England and would chose United over Liverpool. However can't see us getting him in January. More of a summer move.Id much prefer Zlatan over Mandzukic as a stop gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Zlatan is 38. When he last played in the Premier League, at 36, he looked finished and barely able to move. That was while playing for a manager who's football was a lot more stodgier and more direct. OGS plays deep and hits with fast counters. The Premier League is a very fast and physical league.

All this clammering for Zlatan from Utd fans like he is a fresh 28 year old is pretty hilarious tbh. He's been playing in a semi retirement league for 2 seasons, not a top 5 European League FFS!!

• Nice way to take what's been said by some folks out of context and post exaggerated bull****! :P

• Also, no he doesn't sit deep and play with fast counters going on what's been produced.
    I doubt you have watched Utd since February going on that description. Probably witnessed that type of a goal for the first time since the Chelsea game last week. Maybe the Liverpool game. That's been it really.

There is plenty of Zlatan talk from United fans, both here and other online sites.
    Werner is quoted as saying he wants to play in England and would chose United over Liverpool. However can't see us getting him in January. More of a summer move.Id much prefer Zlatan over Mandzukic as a stop gap

(to be fair this post was edited after I wrote mine)

Would any of you be opposed to playing 352 for the rest of the season. I hope we take Zlatan back for 6 months. He'd be better than manzukic

• V4P0FMG.jpg

Also, Who said he's a fresh 28 year old?
    I will wait... :P

How many players do you guys realistically think we need to make a title challenge. I'm going assume Pogba is going so with that in mind I think we need 7 world-class players .

Centre half - Lindelof is decent but we need someone better

Left back- The emergence if Williams may mean a signing in this area is not needed . However young should not be starting and I don't think shaw is ever going to make it

Midfield- Serious surgery needed here. Pogba wants off. He's a waste space anyway and all that's wrong with the modern day footballer . He needs someone like Keane in his prime to give him a kick in the hole. Mctomminay is doing decent but is limited. He has great honesty of effort. Fred seems to have turned a corner too but they both aren't good enough. Peirera is even worse

Right midfield- We need to sign Jason Sancho . Lingard is not good enough

Striker . We need a young prolific front man. Werner is my no 1 choice followed by Haaland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The emergence if Williams may mean a signing in this area is not needed .

Forget who, what United needs is to get rid of this sort of mentality.

Even Arsene Wenger would laugh at the extent to which United think they have the prettiest kids at home.

Also, no he doesn't sit deep and play with fast counters going on what's been produced.
    I doubt you have watched Utd since February going on that description. Probably witnessed that type of a goal for the first time since the Chelsea game last week. Maybe the Liverpool game. That's been it really.

So apart from the last game, and the game before that, and the game before that and so on....

Norwich game scored a counter
    Liverpool game was a counter attack goal
    Arsenal goal came from a counter - I think an Arsenal corner it came from
    Crystal Palace goal was from a counter attack
    Chelsea game had counter attacks goals

How many players do you guys realistically think we need to make a title challenge. I'm going assume Pogba is going so with that in mind I think we need 7 world-class players .

Centre half - Lindelof is decent but we need someone better

Left back- The emergence if Williams may mean a signing in this area is not needed . However young should not be starting and I don't think shaw is ever going to make it

Midfield- Serious surgery needed here. Pogba wants off. He's a waste space anyway and all that's wrong with the modern day footballer . He needs someone like Keane in his prime to give him a kick in the hole. Mctomminay is doing decent but is limited. He has great honesty of effort. Fred seems to have turned a corner too but they both aren't good enough. Peirera is even worse

Right midfield- We need to sign Jason Sancho . Lingard is not good enough

Striker . We need a young prolific front man. Werner is my no 1 choice followed by Haaland
    Challenge for a title? lol. Basically a new squad.

De Gea
    AWB-Maguire-Dunno-Nope
    Dunno--Dunno
    No Idea
    Maybe James?
    Possibly Rashford?
    Martial, maybe?

Reallistically, maybe?

De Gea
    AWB-Tuanzebe-Maguire-New Signing
    Rice---Neves
    Maddison
    ----Martial-Someone-Rasford.

Dalot, Lindelof, Shaw, Rojo/Bailly, Williams, McTominay, Fred, Garner, Gomes, New Winger/AM, Greenwood, James.

FitzShane wrote: »
    Zlatan is 38. When he last played in the Premier League, at 36, he looked finished and barely able to move. That was while playing for a manager who's football was a lot more stodgier and more direct. OGS plays deep and hits with fast counters. The Premier League is a very fast and physical league.

All this clammering for Zlatan from Utd fans like he is a fresh 28 year old is pretty hilarious tbh. He's been playing in a semi retirement league for 2 seasons, not a top 5 European League FFS!!

Are you for real? Do you not know the reason he didn't look great . It had nothing to do with his age. He just had a year out with a very serious injury and that takes time for any player regardless of age to recover from. He has scored 50 goals in 50 games in the states . You still need to put those chances away

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement