Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DM_7 wrote: »
    He is no Phil Jones....

He's not. That's why one was in all those England squads and the other wasn't. All Smalling has over him is fitness.

Smalling just stands off and lets attackers play. It must be a dream to play no. 10 against him. I remember a Spurs game from last season where the ball went to Kane at chest height and he was allowed to take it down and play a pass 25 yards out, all while Smalling retreats to the box. That's him in a microcosm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

We need Pogba back soon to help the lads.

I think confidence has been a massive issue, momentum is built on wins and that breeds confidence. Tactics don’t matter if your team is bereft if confidence and talent. I don’t think the quality of our team is mid to low table.

For example, put the expectations of playing for united on Leicester and their players and I’m not sure they are doing as well as they are at the moment, maybe that pressure is worth a few spots ok the league l.. A loss for united is much bigger, 2 losses in a row is a disaster. Not having a shot on target is a travesty. Big names moving and not being replaced is a signal of lack of ambition (no problems for Leicester selling maguire).

With such a Young squad and relying on such young players this could be such an up/down season. On reflection looks like ole bit a hard bullet last summer by prioritizing players out, purging the squad. The club let him down badly but that’s not new, what is interesting is if he can slowly turn this squad around. If they can come through next 2 months in decent Shape (how that looks I don’t know) , it would be fascinating to see how things could progress in 2nd half of season if Pogba comes back and even one solid signing in January.

Would be a great learning curve for the young team and build up some character. Still not sure on Ole but Trying to be optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/1190206848952963072?s=20

Maguire, Lindelof and Rashford all doubts for tomorrow.

Thats a glass half empty report on it.

Ole also said they would go through a light training session today with rest of squad so if be positive.

Drumpot wrote: »
    We need Pogba back soon to help the lads.

I think confidence has been a massive issue, momentum is built on wins and that breeds confidence. Tactics don’t matter if your team is bereft if confidence and talent. I don’t think the quality of our team is mid to low table.

For example, put the expectations of playing for united on Leicester and their players and I’m not sure they are doing as well as they are at the moment, maybe that pressure is worth a few spots ok the league l.. A loss for united is much bigger, 2 losses in a row is a disaster. Not having a shot on target is a travesty. Big names moving and not being replaced is a signal of lack of ambition (no problems for Leicester selling maguire).

With such a Young squad and relying on such young players this could be such an up/down season. On reflection looks like ole bit a hard bullet last summer by prioritizing players out, purging the squad. The club let him down badly but that’s not new, what is interesting is if he can slowly turn this squad around. If they can come through next 2 months in decent Shape (how that looks I don’t know) , it would be fascinating to see how things could progress in 2nd half of season if Pogba comes back and even one solid signing in January.

Would be a great learning curve for the young team and build up some character. Still not sure on Ole but Trying to be optimistic.

Or pogba leaves and we get a solid hard working midfielder in to replace him that the younger players can learn from would be a better plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Liam O wrote: »
    He's not. That's why one was in all those England squads and the other wasn't. All Smalling has over him is fitness.

Smalling just stands off and lets attackers play. It must be a dream to play no. 10 against him. I remember a Spurs game from last season where the ball went to Kane at chest height and he was allowed to take it down and play a pass 25 yards out, all while Smalling retreats to the box. That's him in a microcosm.

They have around the same number of caps though.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Or pogba leaves and we get a solid hard working midfielder in to replace him that the younger players can learn from would be a better plan.

Even though me and Pogba made our peace after that dream I’m not averse to him being sold.

Who would you get?

Even though me and Pogba made our peace after that dream I’m not averse to him being sold.

Who would you get?

Blow the load on bruno fernandes he doing well again for sporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Agreed, another beauty of an assist last night. Scored the winning penalty too. 3/3 from penalty spot this season too.

https://twitter.com/ProximaJornada1/status/1189998835705221122?s=20

Has he played big games where we can see he’s as good at a higher level or is it a punt on potential? Genuinely don’t know much about him other then people bringing him up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Only seen him in full games for Portugal. Like all Portuguese midfielders treats the ball very well. Can’t recall him scoring or even setting up any goals (for Ronaldo��)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would take Maddison over Fernades all day. Every transfer over the next 18 months is key, we've started off on a great footing last summer with the 3 signings. Next 18 months is a vital period for the club if we want to get back to competing for the League.

Fernandes might be a slightly better player (I don't know tbh) but Maddison is Prem proven and would slot in straight away, you would imagine. He's also someone who has a real passion for the club. We don't really have the luxury for a player like Fernandes, to take a year or so to settle into England, Premier League etc. We've been down that road many times before and can't afford a wrong turn at the moment.

PARlance wrote: »
    I would take Maddison over Fernades all day. Every transfer over the next 18 months is key, we've started off on a great footing last summer with the 3 signings. Next 18 months is a vital period for the club if we want to get back to competing for the League.

Fernandes might be a slightly better player (I don't know tbh) but Maddison is Prem proven and would slot in straight away, you would imagine. He's also someone who has a real passion for the club. We don't really have the luxury for a player like Fernandes, to take a year or so to settle into England, Premier League etc. We've been down that road many times before and can't afford a wrong turn at the moment.

I like Maddison too but I can't see him signing for the money that Leicester would be looking for.

They'd be looking for £80m minimum and could easily say £100m to deter United. They don't need the cash and it'll be up to Maddison to push a transfer through.

Nunu wrote: »
    Only seen him in full games for Portugal. Like all Portuguese midfielders treats the ball very well. Can’t recall him scoring or even setting up any goals (for Ronaldo��)

I haven’t a clue, I’m just very dubious of these kind of players that do well in other leagues. He’s coming in to replace important positions and we have seen how potential quality has worked out badly over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'd love Maddison. Who cares about the money. Better than the Glazers taking it out of the club!

The Nal wrote: »
    I'd love Maddison. Who cares about the money. Better than the Glazers taking it out of the club!

I think these kind of players will work well with Ole and prob fit in with the apparent club strategy at the moment.

• Advertisement

I think these kind of players will work well with Ole and prob fit in with the apparent club strategy at the moment.

The big "stars" - Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez etc - don't seem to work at Utd really. Always best when younger developing players are signed and blend in. Obvious exceptions like RVP and maybe one or two more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The club does quite a lot wrong, but sometimes they get it right.

https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/1190254331913785346

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Good player but he’s by all accounts a Grade Z person. Horrible personality. Not sure if we need that in the dressing room?

Good player but he’s by all accounts a Grade Z person. Horrible personality. Not sure if we need that in the dressing room?

In what sense?

I don't really follow celeb news or players on Social Media. What makes him a "Grade Z" person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Somebody is jealous of his Gucci bag.

In what sense?

There were plenty of stories going around previously about him and some recent.

I’m mates with a pro player myself and whilst he’s never met Maddison he’s said he’s heard he’s a proper @rsehole. Apparently once you get any sort of drink into him out comes Mr Hyde.

This is all second hand info so make of it what you will. Good player mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Somebody is jealous of his Gucci bag.

I’m a Prada man myself

I’m mates with a pro player myself and whilst he’s never met Maddison he’s said he’s heard he’s a proper @rsehole. Apparently once you get any sort of drink into him out comes Mr Hyde.

Sounds like a young lad with not much going on between the ears and/or letting the fame/money get to him.

Grade Z human....I was expecting him to have murdered a few kittens at least.

Fair enough, never heard of the story in the link. Doesn't reflect too well but 19 at the time you could let him off.

From his social media presence, he comes off quite well and the same for any interviews I've seen of him. Most important thing is he can perform on the pitch. Big asset for United should he want to come/United able to sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maddison, Ndidi, Chilwel, Rodgers and Vardy. I'd take them all at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

I hate people like that, don't care how good he is. No thanks

He would be sorted out very quickly at Utd, if he isn't already. He was 19 and pissed up when he got in that fight. Normal behaviour for a 19 year old. 19 year olds are morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

damowill wrote: »
    probably one of our only Centre Backs that was dangerous from set pieces.

Ours or theirs :p

Wouldn't they have got refunds though?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

There was thread on a different forum(possibly reddit, can't remember), where his behaviour was discussed. Albeit all 3rd party accounts, but the overwhelming opinion was that he isn't a likeable character. One incident mentioned was where someone recognised him in a supermarket and went up and asked for his autograph, or picture, and he answered by making animal noises(or something similar) into their face.

An extremely talented player no doubt, but a real sense of a "Big Time Charlie" about him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Wouldn't they have got refunds though?

Thomas Cook went bankrupt. Passengers would be the last creditors to get money back, if ever. If lucky they had insurance, but many would be out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He would be sorted out very quickly at Utd, if he isn't already. He was 19 and pissed up when he got in that fight. Normal behaviour for a 19 year old. 19 year olds are morons.

You are kidding me right? Just exactly who is going to be sorting him out at United? Jesse Lingz?

Said it before (about Depay I think it was), but forget talent, it is absolutely vital for United to get the right characters into that team. Poor characters are killing them and they simply cannot afford anybody who makes that situation worse.

If that means passing on an otherwise talented player then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thomas Cook went bankrupt. Passengers would be the last creditors to get money back, if ever. If lucky they had insurance, but many would be out of pocket.

Hmm yeah package holidays are bonded but TC were an airline as well as a package company and the fans presumably bought airline tickets only. Not all travel insurance covers this either. So a nice gesture from the club.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

You are kidding me right? Just exactly who is going to be sorting him out at United? Jesse Lingz?

Said it before (about Depay I think it was), but forget talent, it is absolutely vital for United to get the right characters into that team. Poor characters are killing them and they simply cannot afford anybody who makes that situation worse.

If that means passing on an otherwise talented player then so be it.

Frank Lampard got naked and made airplane gestures at American tourists on 9/11 when he was a pup.

Lets not give people life sentences for one silly isolated teenage incident FFS.

we are gonna buy everyone!!!!

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/moaid-mahjoub_investor-saudiarabia-manchesterunited-activity-6595811522323316736-uPC7

*I do not believe anything above here is true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thing is there ain't many leaders out there now. No Keanes, Adam's etc out there anymore really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/moaid-mahjoub_investor-saudiarabia-manchesterunited-activity-6595811522323316736-uPC7

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Thing is there ain't many leaders out there now. No Keanes, Adam's etc out there anymore really.

Genuinely I think McTominay is looking like a real leader. I do still question his abilities, in terms of being a top class player. but he is, at least, a good player and I am constantly impressed by his attitude. You always see him talking to the players after a goal - in the celebrations - talking about keeping things going, keeping the heads straight etc.

I think Maguire will prove to be a good addition in this respect too. AWB seems quiet, in terms of talking and organizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Frank Lampard got naked and made airplane gestures at American tourists on 9/11 when he was a pup.

Lets not give people life sentences for one silly isolated teenage incident FFS.

You are rather missing the point here. By quite a margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is it?

This season is already a dead rubber, I would have said that the clubs main target was just consolidating, implementing whatever the **** it is they think they are doing and getting ready for the future. Find a style of play, develop youngsters, things like that.

If they were actually targeting anything tangible then they are more deluded than I thought, that squad isn't near good enough to win a Europa league.

Could they go on a magical series of results? Sure, its only football and things like that happen. But if they have any cop on they won't be letting dreams influence their decisions.

We will get to the knockout stages without much effort and then it‘s only 9 games to the final, the last 32 and 16 rounds should be straightforward too. We are second favourites for the competition, which is generous, Arsenal are favourites somehow, I’d be shocked if we didn’t get to the semis though, from there with a useful addition or two in January its far more realistic than us doing well in the league from January to May.

The league will be second fiddle to the Europa post Christmas without a doubt. It all depend on if we can get any of our supposed targets in January, as part of the grand master plan. Ole will be around until May at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think the club should be targeting the Europa League and a Top 4 finish. I think fans should not expect or feel this squad is entitled to a Europa League or a Top 4 finish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Bangkok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

There's been an awful lot of noise on Twitter today about it.

I really hope this is untrue. Sure they'd be better than the Glazers for investment in the club but they would be far far worse in every other area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There's been an awful lot of noise on Twitter today about it.

I really hope this is untrue. Sure they'd be better than the Glazers for investment in the club but they would be far far worse in every other area.

They’d be worse in a single area. The moral beliefs of the owners.

But I can’t imagine they could be worse In any other area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Lord TSC wrote: »

The “head” person who will be at the front of all PR, press photos etc will be clean as a whistle.

I for one will be delighted to see the back of the Glazers

Lord TSC wrote: »

If I had a choice, which I dont, I would prefer that the club isn't owned by one of these horrible individuals who use clubs to whitewash their reputations. But to be frank, I will probably do what most do if they owned it and the club starts to do well, forget about it and move on. Afterall, thats what everybody did under the Glazers and nobody cares about stuff thats happening in the middle east.

I blame the EPL and English FA for basically allowing their clubs to be used by Arab and Russian Billionaires for political reasons. Fit and proper test my hole. Probably has the same rigorous questions that Quatar had to go through to get the world cup..

World cup bid application: (Quatar application)

1. Can the world cup be played in the summer? No
    2. Is your climate safe for footballers? No
    3. Can you guarantee no people will die in the construction of the stadiums? No
    4. Do you deny the human rights violations that you are accused of ? No
    5. Are gay people welcome ............

EPL Club "Fit and Proper test":

1. Do you have nefarious intentions with regards to purchasing this club? No

If you answered "no" to question one congratulations you have passed the Fit and Proper test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

The big "stars" - Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez etc - don't seem to work at Utd really. Always best when younger developing players are signed and blend in. Obvious exceptions like RVP and maybe one or two more.

Falcao was a crock at the time Sanchez was finished and di Maria didn't want to be here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement