Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://youtu.be/IQ251-TE77E

This gives a real insight into the finance side of things ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Strumms wrote: »
    He’d have fit right in.

He's 7/5 from 10. Even in a lesser league it's not bad going, and shows it wasn't a once off last season. I'd be ok with a few failed dribbles in exchange for what seems to be a very creative player that gets into great positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Zeek12 wrote: »

Its still crazy the club thought we could release Lukaku and Sanchez in the space of a few weeks and replace them with.....nobody.
    It was always going to come back and bite us.

This^^^

Did any United fan EVER envisage a day when we’d be in this fûcking mess ?

We can only ‘invest’ our way out of it that’s the reality... if not you might even see the season end with the table as it is now, with us not in the top fûcking half of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

This^^^

Did any United fan EVER envisage a day when we’d be in this fûcking mess ?

We can only ‘invest’ our way out of it that’s the reality... if not you might even see the season end with the table as it is now, with us not in the top fûcking half of it.

And to rub salt into our wounds Liverpool winning the league:(

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My head is all over the place with it tbh.

I'd hoped he would go today. At the same time, I can see that no new manager will be installed before the Liverpool game (what manager would want THAT to be their first). Similarly, if he does go, I'd say they will want his replacement appointed super quick. Which is an issue if the favorite is currently employed elsewhere. With Poch, there's the added issue that waiting a few days might save the club 20-30m in fees too.

At the same time....there's a really eerie silence in the media about it. With Jose and LVG, there was weeks and weeks of papers trying to be the first to announce they were gone. The usual journalists were giving briefings left and right, some obviously leaked from the club. With Ole, there's absolutely nothing. Not even the rags trying to jump the gun.

I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing. Do they think if they stay quiet, they might get better access when it does happen? Are they preparing in the shadows? Or is it genuinely that Ole is so super secure, they know there's no point even writing the fiction?
    Headshot wrote: »
    That's a very valid point. There was so much paper talk especially on Jose going but barely a peep out of the Ole situation.

This club can't barely keep a secret at the best of times so to me it's bad news

Id say woodward knows he has ****ed up royally with this, while most fans want ole to go very few have any hate towards him and its all going to the woodward glaziers, and similary in the media the likes of neville saying all problemscat united are at board level.

While I think neville is talking through his arse for the most point, him shining the light solely at the board will give them pause.

I think we could see a quickmin and out job like at watford with woodward not leaking it for one, its mad to say that about the person who runs the club, but we know he does it

Too right. We couldn't have him pulling our stats for pass completion and through-ball accuracy down to near the bottom out of all PL teams.

Oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Zeek12 wrote: »
    This could be his saving grace.

No Pogba for 5 of the last 7 games. Martial has been out for a while too.
    I know these guys have their flaws for sure but simply put, we're a better side with these guys in it, than what we've seen in the last few fixtures.

A better side? Perhaps slightly.

But we have been utter dog**** since Feb/March and the likes of Shaw, Pogba and Martial were there for most of it, I wouldn't be expecting much from those perennial disappointments.

Not without a big change in the tactics and the training anyway. Ditch Carrick and get a proper coach then maybe something will happen.

billyhead wrote: »
    And to rub salt into our wounds Liverpool winning the league:(

Not ideal, for no other reason than to have to listen to and look at every mouthpiece know it all annoying know nothing fûckwit Liverpool fan.... but...

I’d rather United meet their own goals .ie a cup win and CL qualification and Liverpool win the league than us to languish in 8th, no trophies and City win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Feck it the shock of the Newcastle game has passed. I’m getting back on board team Ole until Christmas.

Pogba Shaw and bisakka back would make us up to 40 points atleast. I’m sure there is a striker ready to be brought in at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Getting to January won't make one bit of difference. Only hope is that some of these players show some pride or have a bit of balls to start and earn their money. We all knew after players weren't replaced what we were in for. I have decided to let things run there course and only hope it gets that bad that Woodward and the glaziers will fcuk off as I don't think any manager could work under them. No quick solutions here, it's going to massive clearout both players and owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

BDI wrote: »
    Feck it the shock of the Newcastle game has passed. I’m getting back on board team Ole until Christmas.

Pogba Shaw and bisakka back would make us up to 40 points atleast. I’m sure there is a striker ready to be brought in at Christmas.

Martial is also a step up on Rashford at 9. We'll thump Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

BDI wrote: »

You're as bad as the Irish weather only you change quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Bookmark it, we will smash Liverpool into a 0-0 draw.

We've been lucky against Liverpool a few times in recent years - expecting us to be hammered but came away with a draw.

I really feel though that the hammering is coming this time.

We've been lucky against Liverpool a few times in recent years - expecting us to be hammered but came away with a draw.

When we were flying liverpool always raised their game when it came to playing us. Sadly I think you're right as I don't think these players are capable of doing this at this point.

I guess we could hope klopp plays an insane high line and we catch them on the break a few times but klopp isn't an idiot so they will sit a little deeper happy in the fact we will probably never score by having to play passes between the lines,

And we wil ge picked apart quite easily

When we were flying liverpool always raised their game when it came to playing us. Sadly I think you're right as I don't think these players are capable of doing this at this point.

That's just it, it's hard to see where any kind of decent performance is going to come from with the current crop. If we got AWB, Pogba and Martial back for the game, I'd have a glimmer of hope that we might at least score a goal. Even at that though, I'd be expecting the worst in terms of results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

And that isn’t any of this reverse jinxing or any of that spiel. We are that bad and they are that good that it could easily happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Not without a big change in the tactics and the training anyway. Ditch Carrick and get a proper coach then maybe something will happen.

This times a thousand.

Carrick has zero coaching experience. He was brought in by Jose as a bridge between backroom staff and players. Yes he was a great player but is he and McKenna the right people to offer an equally inexperienced manager counsel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I am old enough to remember the demotion to the old 1st division after years of mismanagment. Lots of teams go through periods of turmiol. The players at the club at the moment are just not good enough Ole was a risky appointment as his CV was not that hectic when Van Gal and Jose struggled to challenge City the writing was on the wall . surely Wooward cant be allowed to continue in his present role after all the money he has spent and the results that are being produced. What I see for UTD.for the next few years is a team in mid table until a new crop of players are unearthed or brought in and a manager with experience with managing top players joining the club football has allways been the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Ninthlife wrote: »
    This times a thousand.

Carrick has zero coaching experience. He was brought in by Jose as a bridge between backroom staff and players. Yes he was a great player but is he and McKenna the right people to offer an equally inexperienced manager counsel?

Think that would be phelans job, giving ole counsel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Think that would be phelans job, giving ole counsel?

Him too. In general Oles backroom staff . Often see Carrick and McKenna note books in hand. They are responsible for training etc.

I am old enough to remember the demotion to the old 1st division after years of mismanagment. Lots of teams go through periods of turmiol. The players at the club at the moment are just not good enough Ole was a risky appointment as his CV was not that hectic when Van Gal and Jose struggled to challenge City the writing was on the wall . surely Wooward cant be allowed to continue in his present role after all the money he has spent and the results that are being produced. What I see for UTD.for the next few years is a team in mid table until a new crop of players are unearthed or brought in and a manager with experience with managing top players joining the club football has allways been the same
    I don't think any experienced manager or top players will work until Woodward and glaziers gone. Change at top needed.

I guess we could hope klopp plays an insane high line and we catch them on the break a few times but klopp isn't an idiot so they will sit a little deeper happy in the fact we will probably never score by having to play passes between the lines,

And we wil ge picked apart quite easily

Klopp can play a mega high line, comfortable in the joy that United don’t possess the quality of attacker with the pace to burn his side..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Klopp can play a mega high line, comfortable in the joy that United don’t possess the quality of attacker with the pace to burn his side..:rolleyes:

When allowed by teams we have the capability to play very well on the break, its pretty kuch yhe only thing we have done well under ole at times, its just teams dont give us the chance anymore, only chelsea did this season and maimly after we got ghe opener.

This isnt me sticking up for ole, or saying we actually have a chance via liverpool, but we can play decent counter attacking football, but besides that we are abysmaly ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We haven't scored a goal that has come from breaking down an opposition's defense in the Prem this year.

Chelsea: all 4 from the break / counter attack, including the peno.
    Wolves: probably the closest goal to unlocking a defense but Wolves were on the back foot.
    Palace: we intercepted them on the break and scored on the counter, albeit in their own half.
    Southampton: they pressed, we got them on the break.
    Leicester: peno won from open play.
    Arsenal: came from a counter attack.

That's it, 9 goals and none of them have come from unlocking a defense that is sitting off us. Liverpool could probably play a few different ways against us and win but if they wanted to sit back and watch us faff around, they could destroy us on the break.

The only way we look like scoring (and we don't like scoring much in any case, so Liverpool won't be too worried either way) is from a counter attacks. We've had high possessions in games and done absolutely nothing with it as we just don't have the creativity or movement to capitalise from that possession.

I agree so instead of using pace, ingenuity, guile and attacking nuances we are waiting for the opposition to attack us, make a mistake and maybe we can get down their end of the field and do something...

...but when we do eventually get down their end of the field with the ball the player who has it...waits for support, looks up, none coming fast enough, sees only defenders, passes it back to a teammate stood relatively near where the original run originated, either that or hit and hope towards Rashford who is marked by three players when he struggles to get the better of one, marked by three because there is no other fûcker there who they need to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

but we can play decent counter attacking football, but besides that we are abysmaly ****

Have you seen us try and counter since that Chelsea game ? Were ****ing awful.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    Have you seen us try and counter since that Chelsea game ? Were ****ing awful.

Better then abysmal maybe? We are good if we dont have to play a pass after the halfway line :D

But i take your point we are poor now i think back, ****e runs, poor passes, players making same ****e runs or occupying the same space.

Could you not have let me have my deluded fantasy we were good at something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Danny Gabbidon on Talksport was asked about his time with Solskjaer at Cardiff.
    TLDR: "He's a nice guy but when it came to setting up a team and motivating and getting the best out of players he just didn't have it"

Drumpot wrote: »
    The Sun ?!!

giphy.gif

In fairness,Custis is decent despite writing for that rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

TLDR: "He's a nice guy but when it came to setting up a team and motivating and getting the best out of players he just didn't have it"

Danny Gabbidon saying it ffs. What hope did he ever of motivating a dressing room full of over inflated egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Danny Gabbidon saying it ffs. What hope did he ever of motivating a dressing room full of over inflated egos.

Wonder which version is true:

From Dec 2018

EXCLUSIVE: Danny Gabbidon worked under Solskjaer at Cardiff and says the Norwegian will build Manchester United's players up again

“In the short period I worked with him, I really enjoyed the way he went about things as a manager,” said Gabbidon, who will be at the game on Saturday working as a pundit for BT Sport.

“He was brilliant to me and the players, the way he treated them, and the knowledge he had.

“The Cardiff scenario is totally different to the one he’s going into now at United.

“The situation he’s going in to now is probably more suited to him and how he is as a person and manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Wonder which version is true:

From Dec 2018

EXCLUSIVE: Danny Gabbidon worked under Solskjaer at Cardiff and says the Norwegian will build Manchester United's players up again

“In the short period I worked with him, I really enjoyed the way he went about things as a manager,” said Gabbidon, who will be at the game on Saturday working as a pundit for BT Sport.

“He was brilliant to me and the players, the way he treated them, and the knowledge he had.

“The Cardiff scenario is totally different to the one he’s going into now at United.

“The situation he’s going in to now is probably more suited to him and how he is as a person and manager

Judging by him sitting on sidelines looking lost and sounding lost in his interviews you would imagine the aforementioned is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

we,re man united we can ride it...……………………………………. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

bassy wrote: »
    we,re man united we can ride it...……………………………………. :D

It's been riding us for quite some time now, and it's made us it's b1tch.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

In fairness,Custis is decent despite writing for that rag.

A contradiction surely? To choose to write for that rag says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

interedsting interview with Luis Campos. some of his signings as sporting direcotr and subsequest sales price:

Kylian Mbappe £0 £166m
    Nicolas Pepe £9m £72m
    Thomas Lemar £0 £63m
    James Rodriguez £38.4m £63m
    Anthony Martial £4m £57.6m
    Benjamin Mendy £11m £49.2m
    Fabinho £0 £43.7m
    Bernardo Silva £12.1m £43m
    Tiemoue Bakayoko £0 £40m

seems he would be interested in utd if such a role existed.

source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/33694/11830099/why-man-utd-need-a-sporting-director-luis-campos-on-friend-jose-mourinhos-struggles-at-old-trafford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Everyone with a pair of eyes knows the squad needs strengthening but that's not enough.
    It needs an actual game plan and somebody who knows what he's actually doing with said squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Splashing the cash in January and we used laugh at Arsenal and Wenger doing that, desperate times call for desperate measures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looking at it again, it feels like some of the senior players have reacted to Ole like RVP and other united players did with Moyes. They just don’t believe he has what it takes to turn things around. I’m not saying that’s fair but it means the players who wanted to leave were probably more ambitious then the targets of maybe 2 seasons doing feck all with united.

It’s not that I am against giving Ole time or allowing a rebuild, it’s that this club is constantly talking about what it wants to do and is never achieving these goals. Every other year we have them talking about attacking football , youth and getting united back to the top but it hasn’t happened.

There is a part of me that wants to see what Ole can do with another transfer windows but the head keeps going back to “why do I think Ole will be able to do what more successful managers couldn’t?”. I can’t answer that question positively without getting nostalgic and just wanting him to succeed.

There is a weird part of me that would like to see the team languishes around relegation with or without Ole. Gets more players in January and they all bond in a relegation dog fight to come back stronger next season. It also might force the glazers to act like Real Madrid and spend some serious money so The team can get the players he needs.

Imagine Poch is brought in later on in season when we are in the relegation zone and helps us out of it. Going into summer, glazers have to open the purse strings fully for the first time ever as they got a big shock. Expectations on the floor means the team will attract players who are joining the club with lower ambitions but hungry. Maybe things need to get much worse before anything will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Drumpot wrote: »

There is a weird part of me that would like to see the team languishes around relegation with or without Ole. Gets more players in January and they all bond in a relegation dog fight to come back stronger next season. It also might force the glazers to act like Real Madrid and spend some serious money so The team can get the players he needs.

That is a weird part.

As romantic as it sounds it's delusional.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was against appointing Ole when we did - we were doing well (there were signs of it starting to fall apart) at that very point, but given the matches we had coming up (the next 4 were going to be very telling, iirc) it was silly to go all in right when we did. I did, however, think Ole would be getting more out of the side. I don't know why the players are playing in such a cowardly fashion, whether it is in part to tactics or fully to quality - every other pass is a dumped off pass backwards, the easiest and safest pass to make. There is no attempt to get on the ball, turn and make something happen. Its infuriating.

Where I come to with Ole is, however, he isn't showing that the PL is his level. If we were to sack him today there is no chance he gets a PL job. If the United manager isn't good enough for a single other PL side.... what the hell are we doing?

I think Ole knows what United should be, he knows the type of person and player we need, but he doesn't (evidently) have the tactical accumen, or the ability to get it across to the players. I know what United should be, I know what type of players we need but there is f all chance of me getting the job - simply knowing what the problems are is nowhere near enough, and Ole is showing that. Himself and Phelan would be better off in the scouting/DoF type roles, imo.

I don't dislike Ole, I think he is trying his best - I don't think Jose was at the end of his tenure - but he isn't good enough (and neither are the players) and the longer we stick with him the harder it will be to turn this relegation threatening season around.

As for who we could get in - no idea. Despite hating the man, Rodgers is looking pretty good right now! And yes, while Leicster are a side going in the opposite direction to United I don't think getting Rodgers to swap seats would be impossible - depends on his contract situation. Allegri is available - and the Glazers generally go as cheap as possible in their hirings, Ole is the only manager they have appointed that was in a job at the time. I don't know that Allegri is a manager to rebuild a squad and club, rather than get a well set up team functioning well. Pochetino is in it deep at Spurs, but I don't think DL will fire him so I don't see that happening.

Senior players losing faith in the manager. A serious case of déjà vu there. The same senior players who would struggle to get into many other premier League teams. The same ones who are meant to set the standards and be an example for the kids who have been thrust into this situation and have failed miserably at it.
    They have been too comfortable in the knowledge that there's no competition for their place in the squad and due to their inflated wages it's nearly impossible to move them on so no matter how poorly they perform they are still at the club and starting games. The manager of course pays the price for this as you can't sack the players for being sh1te at their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Jonathan Wilson had some pretty damning stats about the attacking effort in the Newcastle game on the Football Weekly podcast yesterday.

Juan Mata, our central attacking midfielder and I guess our creative force... had 2 touches in the final third.

Rashford had 21 touches in 90 minutes. That's 2 less than Marcus Rojo - a defender who came on as a sub with 30 minutes to go.

Our "wingers" Daniel James and Andreas Perreira had 5 attempted crosses all game.

Begs the question.... we're not attacking through the middle, we're not using width and we're not playing direct to our strikers...or at least none of these are being done with any success.

So what is the attacking instruction and what are we working on in training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think Rashford has lots of talent but he's struggling big time at the moment. I don't see why we keep playing him up top as the lone striker. He's not a back to goal striker, he doesn't hold up the ball, doesn't link it, doesn't compete in the air.

He needs to be playing off a back to goal striker, either that or stick him out wide.

I'd love to see us change formation. 2 deep lying midfielders has never worked for us. We need to get 2 up top. Push our back line up, in turn pushes the midfield up. Get rid of the 2 deep lying midfielders that do nothing only pass it sideways. We're setup so negatively.

Surely Ole realises this, the thing that worked for him when he arrived was we went attacking, players with no responsibility to get back just concentrate of going forward. It's only a matter of time before Ole gets the sack. Atleast go out trying to score and win games and if we're conceding too much well then at least he tried. Sad state of affairs all round.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We had a manager who realised the best chance of stopping them was to frustrate them something we seen from Ferguson in big matches

Ole will set up to attack them and we will be hammered

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement