Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I would prefer a consortium led by SAF of local business ppl and not the saudis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Since the Saudis have been linked with buying utd Ive been against the idea. Even in the knowledge now, that all that is wrong with the glazer's/Woodward being fixed and the sole focus of the club being on winning and not making a buck that can then be siphoned off to the glazer's pockets, I cant. Even if mbappe or whoever ended up at the club and multiple League/CL trophies were at utd, nope.
    Not looking down or thinking I'm better then ones that will still be supporters, for me it's the line in the sand moment.

When I'm stood in the Stretford End,who owns the club doesn't bother me, I'm there to cheer on the team who take to the field below me.
    It boils my piss looking at some of the frauds we have in the squad for the last 6 years or so. Whatever changes that,be it the Saudis,whoever then so be it.
    There can't be any moral outrage in England when they are a massive arms supplier to Saudi Arabia.
    Look across at City and the massive regeneration projects in a hugely disadvantaged area. The Club own huge tracts of land around the stadium that are unsightly wastelands at the moment and if anyone thinks the Glazers will invest in any projects there,they are deluded,they won't pay to fix the stadium roof. At least if the takeover takes place,the Saudis will want to outshine City and the hinterland around OT will benefit.
    What happens in a desert thousands of miles away won't affect the folk going through the turnstiles,what happens around and in the stadium will.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sure, in an ideal world. On the other hand, will need to be some crazy consortium in order to generate the cash needed.

Also...I've got to be honest, the idea of getting away from that "Stuck in the past" attitude would be the more intriguing part of any new deal. We've been stuck in the 90s for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You can all accuse me of being on whatever high horse you like, but I've been supporting the team since the 70s and don't want the Saudis to but the club. If they do I may still watch matches and cheer when we beat Liverpool but my enthusiasm would certainly be dampened. I know I definitely wouldn't be going to OT again or directly giving money to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Unfortunately in my opinion you'll do well to find anybody in the world who has the necessary wealth to be able to spend £4 billion on a football club who doesn't come with a certain amount of "uneasy" questions surrounding how they ended up with so much money in the first place. That's just the state of football at the top level nowadays. Buying Manchester United would be as much an exercise in the spreading of "soft" power and a positive image to Saudi Arabia as it would be the purchase of a going concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

A reincarnated consortium of Hitler, Genghis Khan and Stalin would be easier to stomach than the f*cking Glazers.

This genuinely had me laughing out loud.

Well played sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Unfortunately in my opinion you'll do well to find anybody in the world who has the necessary wealth to be able to spend £4 billion on a football club who doesn't come with a certain amount of "uneasy" questions surrounding how they ended up with so much money in the first place. That's just the state of football at the top level nowadays. Buying Manchester United would be as much an exercise in the spreading of "soft" power and a positive image to Saudi Arabia as it would be the purchase of a going concern.

True. Its just a PR reason for the Saudis to buy the club. They want to improve the tourist Economy over there and create an image of a positive regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

A reincarnated consortium of Hitler, Genghis Khan and Stalin would be easier to stomach than the f*cking Glazers.

With Jimmy Saville as the new Ed Woodward?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

nullzero wrote: »
    With Jimmy Saville as the new Ed Woodward?

He had an eye for youth to be fair

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sure, in an ideal world. On the other hand, will need to be some crazy consortium in order to generate the cash needed.

Also...I've got to be honest, the idea of getting away from that "Stuck in the past" attitude would be the more intriguing part of any new deal. We've been stuck in the 90s for so long.

For anyone with the better the devil you know mindset, would you like another decade or more of the sh1te we've had to put up with over the last 6 years. It shows how much of a genius Ferguson was to deliver titles under the Glazers with a fading squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

billyhead wrote: »
    True. Its just a PR reason for the Saudis to buy the club. They want to improve the tourist Economy over there and create an image of a positive regime.

It's becoming a well trodden path at this stage for "dodgy" regimes in many parts of the world but from the middle-east alone you have PSG, City, other types of investment in other top football clubs, the World Cup, athletics championships, endless numbers of high-profile sporting events/junkets/friendlies/conferences that have a media ban outside of the host country etc.

They get to buy themselves into the pastimes of the more developed democracies of the world and slowly become, in time, accepted as a part of them that shouldn't be questioned. And if they are questioned, well they just get to turn around and tell the rest of the world you were happy to take our money so why are you judging us now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

That would be hilarious if it wasnt so depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

8 games and 376 minutes.

Even take a shot from the halfway line to get rid of that stat like you'd do in FIFA, grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'm not sure there are many local business consortiums knocking around Manchester with a spare 4 billion though.

Trigger wrote: »
    That would be hilarious if it wasnt so depressing

Ah but he's an up and coming player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ah but he's an up and coming player.

Up and coming to Retirement. :pac:

8 games and 376 minutes.

Even take a shot from the halfway line to get rid of that stat like you'd do in FIFA, grim.

I wonder if he is aware of his stat nevermind him being compared to a goalkeeper.
    I'm sure he'll be made aware of it now and it'll change quickly
    I don't understand where its gone wrong for him, he was a useful player to have in the squad not anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I wonder if he is aware of his stat nevermind him being compared to a goalkeeper.
    I don't understand where its gone wrong for him, he was a useful player to have in the squad not anymore.

I suspect to busy with his failing clothing line and social media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bologna have the right idea going after Zlatan. Similar standard team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The tactics at the moment simply bypass anyone playing in his position. How many times does he get the ball a game? When he does he generally uses it well in terms of keeping the play moving but the tactics are literally to get the ball from the deep midfielders to Martial/Rashford/sometimes James as soon as possible. Pereira fell into the same cycle on Saturday. People acting like it's him who's the problem when the whole team don't manage shots on target for large swathes of the game.

I'm baffled by Ole's tactics this season, truly baffled. He showed last season a bit of ambition and invention with tactics but now it's so rigid. When it's not working it's player for player changes. What was Lingard supposed to do on Saturday that Pereira didn't for 65 odd mins of little involvement in the play? The tempo rose when he came on and there was more zip to the play people forget (though that's obviously not hard).

In the right system and used correctly he's useful and quite smart. Decent finisher and can play quick passes and take up smart positions. That's not happening at United right now and while he is in a bad run of form personally, I'd not lay the blame at his door.

VW 1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure there are many local business consortiums knocking around Manchester with a spare 4 billion though.

I'd not be so sure about that given some of the investment in the city the last few years. Maybe not local but the city is awash with money.

Liam O wrote: »
    The tactics at the moment simply bypass anyone playing in his position. How many times does he get the ball a game? When he does he generally uses it well in terms of keeping the play moving but the tactics are literally to get the ball from the deep midfielders to Martial/Rashford/sometimes James as soon as possible. Pereira fell into the same cycle on Saturday. People acting like it's him who's the problem when the whole team don't manage shots on target for large swathes of the game.

I'm baffled by Ole's tactics this season, truly baffled. He showed last season a bit of ambition and invention with tactics but now it's so rigid. When it's not working it's player for player changes. What was Lingard supposed to do on Saturday that Pereira didn't for 65 odd mins of little involvement in the play? The tempo rose when he came on and there was more zip to the play people forget (though that's obviously not hard).

In the right system and used correctly he's useful and quite smart. Decent finisher and can play quick passes and take up smart positions. That's not happening at United right now and while he is in a bad run of form personally, I'd not lay the blame at his door.

I'd rather it was Jesse on the end of the chances that Andreas fluffed against Bournemouth, one he blazed over the bar and the other he went for a first time shot and missed the ball with his left, he had time to take a touch set himself up with his right. Has poor composure.

• Advertisement

I'd rather it was Jesse on the end of the chances that Andreas fluffed against Bournemouth, one he blazed over the bar and the other he went for a first time shot and missed the ball with his left, he had time to take a touch set himself up with his right. Has poor composure.

Completely missing the ball there was criminal but it was an encouraging bit of movement to get the space. He was taking bad corners and free kicks too which is very unlike him. I think the team suffered from playing Wednesday and early Saturday. It has cost teams better than United in similar circumstances and was a problem in going so strong a team on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I'll be taking a break from here if it ever does come to pass. Everyone pretends to be overly virtuous over the most benign subjects as it is so imagine throwing Saudi Arabia into the mix, hands would be wrung out with all the fretting.......

You'd hope that every United fan on here understands the complexity of the issue. Sometimes both arguments are right/fair and there is no winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It’s not entirely true though, Lukaku will hit 20+ goals in Italy in his first season, he did that once in 7 seasons in the PL.

It’s easier to score Italy no matter how much you believe things have changed.

It should be no surprise to anyone that Lukaku is doing well over there, but that doesn’t change that he probably wasn’t the right fit for us. Not replacing him is a different point though.

One way of looking at it
    The other is he has averaged over 18 goals a season in England (all comps) every season for the last seven seasons and only turned 26 in May.

Edit: and can throw another 50 international goals in on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hococop wrote: »
    Who is he?

He is a breaker of hopes and dreams, that's who he is....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Hococop wrote: »
    Who is he?

He is someone that is using united fanbase to get attention for Himself. Posting random stuff for clicks and likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Career goals by the age of 26:

Thierry Henry: 210
    Michael Owen: 217
    Harry Kane: 218
    Luis Suarez: 223
    Wayne Rooney: 227
    Robert Lewandowski: 231

Romelu Lukaku: 245

Who needs a goalscorer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RasTa wrote: »
    Who needs a goalscorer?

Jesse Lingard: 41

Jesse Lingard: 41

He still young.

jayo26 wrote: »
    He still young.

Speaking of young players, guess which manager got by far the best goal return from Lingard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

So we could be going from Ole to Oile?

Speaking of young players, guess which manager got by far the best goal return from Lingard...

Moyes or Ferguson id guess seen as he scored one or two early goals when he only played a handful of games for them,

adox wrote: »

Ahh for sheikh sake that's not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

adox wrote: »

s-l300.jpg

• Speaking of young players, guess which manager got by far the best goal return from Lingard...

Oh no, it's that bad man again up to his old tricks of getting the best out of players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s going to be sickening to see Glazers and their henchman Woody ruin the club and make a tidy 5 billion profit when you factor in the debt and what they’ve taken out which is probably a lot more than reported.

Letting them in was the worst thing that ever happened to the club, and it’ll take a decade to put things right.

That’s if they sell, and I’m very skeptical that they will in their lifetime, unless it’s an absurd offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Surely the Saudis could smooth over any concerns fans have about their potential ownership by buying Ferguson’s endorsement? It worked for the Glazier’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,776 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It’s not entirely true though, Lukaku will hit 20+ goals in Italy in his first season, he did that once in 7 seasons in the PL.

It’s easier to score Italy no matter how much you believe things have changed.

It should be no surprise to anyone that Lukaku is doing well over there, but that doesn’t change that he probably wasn’t the right fit for us. Not replacing him is a different point though.

Only twice in the last 10 seasons have there been more goals, and goals per game scored in serie a than in the premier league.

That would suggest it's easier to score in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’m completely convinced the Glazers are open to a sale and have been for a while now but finding a buyer at the 4 billion mark is tough.

I honestly don’t care about the Saudi reputation and would love them to buy the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Weepsie wrote: »
    Only twice in the last 10 seasons have there been more goals, and goals per game scored in serie a than in the premier league.

Don't you come on here with your facts spoiling the image many folks have of a league they don't watch.

They have been told for decades the Italian league is boring, slow, defensive and it suits sky and the British media to maintain this image.

Or there's better attackers in the PL?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't you come on here with your facts spoiling the image many folks have of a league they don't watch.

They have been told for decades the Italian league is boring, slow, defensive and it suits sky and the British media to maintain this image.

So its more defensive but easier to score in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

GSPfan wrote: »
    I’m completely convinced the Glazers are open to a sale and have been for a while now but finding a buyer at the 4 billion mark is tough.

I honestly don’t care about the Saudi reputation and would love them to buy the club.

It’s not that I like the Saudi buyers, it’s just that I hate the Glazers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Or that the premier league has better strikers perhaps. For example, you could look at a guy like Higuain scoring between 20 and 36 goals a season in Italy and then getting 6 in England. Thats a pretty big difference.

There is far more money in the premier league which means the standard is higher. The best of Serie A can compete and even better the best of the premier league but as you climb down the table, the quality drops significantly. Once you go past the top 2 or 3 clubs the quality disappears. The lack of success in europe for Italian teams outside the elite in recent years would bear that out.

Relegation fodder in Italy isn't raking in 100 million a year like the English clubs do. Money matters.

If the likes of Aguero, Kane, Mane, etc got to play against Genoa every week, they would score 60 goals a season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement