Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• I need to find a saudi / banderes laptop gif combo

BRB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Trigger wrote: »
    This, I've come to terms with it, I think with the value of the club they are the only way of getting rid of the Glazers so....

giphy.gif

I suspect that gif will get a lot of miles if the purchase goes through lol

Exactly about the price, if utd somehow got bought by businessmen the club is saddled with debt and the club doesn't move forward, It's the Saudis or no one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

brinty wrote: »
    Great album, Morrissey and Johnny Marr are big United supporters too I believe

Jesus H. F*ck - I'd rather we be owned by the Saudi Government than be associated with Morrissey!

Any chance we get to see Shaw back soon, article saying he was in Dubai doing fitness work recently. Game against Partizan could be a good one to get some minutes under his belt

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-utd-luke-shaw-injury-17141455

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Look at Arsenal with Visit Rwanda on their shirts,a country where genocide was an every day occurrence.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the current Rwandan government had nothing to do with those genocidal maniacs and the Visit Rwanda is very much about promoting the positive change that has occured since.

Let's try and remain respectful with this discussion and at least do some basic research lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://www.football-italia.net/146086/lippi-allegri-best-united

Marcello Lippi claims Max Allegri is “the best choice” for Manchester United and that the ex-Juventus boss is “ready” for the role.

Allegri has emerged as a sudden contender for the Bayern Munich vacancy, but Lippi – like fellow elder statesman Fabio Capello – believes he should wait for United.

“Allegri would be good everywhere and as a great admirer of the English club I would be happy to see him take over,” the 71-year-old told The Daily Mail.

“Manchester United is the history of English football. There have been dark years but the club is fantastic, from the backroom to the players, everyone can say what it means to play at Old Trafford.

“First of all, I think Solskjaer was an exceptional striker and a good coach. For Allegri, I consider him an exemplary professional who has the style of Juventus in his blood.

“My deep friendship with [Sir Alex] Ferguson allows me to say that he would be the best choice for United.

“Allegri studies English and is perfect for the British style. He is prepared and shrewd. He reads the game with great ease.

“He loves challenges and I respect him a lot, I think he is serious and prepared, I think he is a humble person. A great Italian who would do very well in England.

“I can tell you that he is ready for United.”

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Oles a disaster let's admit it not good enough and he hasn't the respect of the players need a big name in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I would like to see the club brought by the Saudis. As mentioned they are probably the only realistic buyers. All I care about is results on the pitch and trophys and if the Saudis can invest the money to take us back to the top I dont give a toss about the negative PR being owned by them would create. Buying the club wont change one iota what goes on in thier regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

I personally wouldn't want the Saudis near the club if there were other options but the reality is that there are only a handful of people with the financial clout to do so and most / all of them would have skeletons in their closet, not as many as the Saudis of course. I feel a sale (to whoever) is the only way we will get out of the mire because its abundantly clear the Glazer's dont care about the club other than lining their pockets. I wouldn't stop supporting the club because it was built without the help of a sugar daddy and has a storied and decorated history but absolutely, for me at least, a little part of the majesty of the club would die should they ultimately take over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I won't judge any of yea for continuing to support Utd after a Saudi takeover. I don't want it to happen as it will hasten your return to the top. Serious question though, how does the Saudi royal family get past the PL's fit and proper person test? Is it just a joke or are their loopholes that can be exploited? I think most of us agree they're not very nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I won't judge any of yea for continuing to support Utd after a Saudi takeover. I don't want it to happen as it will hasten your return to the top. Serious question though, how does the Saudi royal family get past the PL's fit and proper person test? Is it just a joke or are their loopholes that can be exploited? I think most of us agree they're not very nice people.

One would assume there would be a front man that is above reproach. Also, depending on Brexit, the UK might be in need of some more foreign money and every thing has a price.

GranularCoarseGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We haven’t heard from the “senior squad sources” yet

It’ll be very interesting to see the timing of that stuff starting and if it coincides with a certain individual being back in the team.

Ole has been kindly treated in the media compared to Jose, Jose’s face would have been plastered on sky news 24/7 if he was 5 points from relegation with the worst league start in seventy billionty years.

"State Aid is a term that refers to forms of public assistance, using taxpayer-funded resources, given to undertakings on a discretionary basis, with the potential to distort competition and affect trade between member states of the European Union. In general, State aid is banned because of its anti-competitive effects".

How come PSG/City are allowed under EU law to be state owned is something I'd like to understand.. the signing of neymar/mbappe surely distorted the market not just fees but also wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Ziyech showing his quality again tonight.

What we would give for a wide player of that calibre....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Zeek12 wrote: »

He’s been excellent this evening. Could play as a 10 too. Also handy at set pieces, we don’t have one of those either able to deliver a good ball.

Available for £25million by all accounts, 10 more than James.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

"State Aid is a term that refers to forms of public assistance, using taxpayer-funded resources, given to undertakings on a discretionary basis, with the potential to distort competition and affect trade between member states of the European Union. In general, State aid is banned because of its anti-competitive effects".

How come PSG/City are allowed under EU law to be state owned is something I'd like to understand.. the signing of neymar/mbappe surely distorted the market not just fees but also wages.

State aid would be the UK gov rather than far east investors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The clubs are usually bought using holding companies therefore not classified as being owned directly by the state..

Even so I'm not sure the Arab states fall under that Directive, I think that means the state in which the companies reside cannot get state aid from that state

Zico ! wrote: »
    Oles a disaster let's admit it not good enough and he hasn't the respect of the players need a big name in there

Anyone looking to make excuses for him need to look at what Wilder is doing at Sheffield United.

Zico ! wrote: »

Anyone looking to make excuses for him need to look at what Wilder is doing at Sheffield United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Donny van de Beek was quality tonight. Would love to have somebody that composed on the ball in our side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zeek12 wrote: »

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Donny van de Beek was quality tonight. Would love to have somebody that composed on the ball in our side.

I'm sure they'd both have much better options than us if they were to leave Ajax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I take your point re. petrol etc.

However, I do see it as different. The Saudi government is HORRIBLE. They would be buying United due to its global reach and clout, of which I am a part (as are you, every fan). They would be buying United to be a tool or weapon against mainstream media, in the same way Qatar and Abu Dhabi use PSG and City. Look at City being all progressive on LGBT inclusion and championing Pep and his human rights views - while stoning gay people to death. They use the football club and its fans around the world to pressure media organizations (who make a lot of money off sports fans) into not looking deep or reporting wide on their human rights attrocities.

If Saudi buy United, they are looking to buy my (and your) defence of them in total, to be an outspoken critic of anyone who is an outspoken critic of them.

I would find it difficult to step away from United, but how can I cheer the success of a team achieved as a means to turn a blind eye to murder and genocide?

Appreciate you taking the time to respond, as well as your defence of your position subsequently.

Personally, I don't care if the Saudis are sportswashing or whatever, it has very little effect on my life.

I look at the era of big corporations, and I see American tobacco and pharma ignoring the fact they hook millions on their chemicals and are responsible for numbers dying that are into the tens of thousands per year. The car companies who's products are heftily contributing to global warming. The German engineering companies who supplied material for the German war machine in the second world war, or Hugo Boss for supplying their uniforms. The German scientists that took active parts in the Holocaust and ended up employed by NASA.

There are countless recent examples of people being involved in heinous behaviour and simply continuing in society or having their actions brushed over because they employ many and generate billions.

Ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, I don't really care who the ultimate beneficiary or owner of the club is, as long as we can get back to being a football club looking to win rather than a business to take money out for some leech with no interest in making any change or investment to achieve success.

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd both have much better options than us if they were to leave Ajax

Oh I don’t think we’d anywhere close to the top of his list. You tend to forget what composure in the midfield looks like when you’re watching United is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Glazers have being Helping Donald Trump for quite some time, just for those thinking they are not worst bunch Brigade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

xtal191 wrote: »

Why would any quality attacking player go to United they seem to lose all ability when at United you would wonder what the attacking coaches do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Utd have become the new Liverpool
    Liverpool have become the new Utd

Even the clubs twitter is living in the past

Has Ole been sacked yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rupert Murdoch probably would have bought the club if he wasn't 89 years old he's a billionaire tyrant since Disney bought Fox from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Utd have become the new Liverpool

Has Ole been sacked yet?

Was just saying this to a friend the other day. We are Liverpool of the mid 90s and there is absolutely no sign anything significant will change anytime soon. Asides from glazers selling up there is no reason to be hopeful. They’ve done grand with their American football team doing nothing for nearly 2 decades and will make a killing off united no matter how much they sell it for.

It’s interesting reading peoples responses to the potential Saudi takeover. None of us can do anything meaningful to prevent it happening so all talk is pointless on that side of things.

I am more with Mitch on this because I don’t see the supporting of a club the same as buying a jumper or merchandise from a company that you haven’t really much idea on how the product was made. Suppose you could say ignorance is somewhat of a defence but more importantly I don’t have any kind of passion for anything I buy like I do for supporting united.

This is a major issue I have with these white washing owners. They aren’t buying a product they are buying peoples hearts and effectively lapping up religions because I think supporting of clubs is closer to that then consumerism. This is a distinct difference when making the “you buy sh*t made by children in China” arguement that doesn’t hold up as far as I am concerned.

What am I gonna do about it? Probably nothing as this is the way of the world and the gobsh*tes running the sport don’t care a damn about it otherwise we wouldn’t of had World Cup in quatar and maybe Russia.

Am I excited about the Saudis taking over? A part of me is to be sure, but another part of me knows it will possibly feel hollow. I’d rather languish in mid table then be owned by them, eventually somebody will buy in and fix things up.

In terms of the self righteous argument made by some, that’s a load of waffle. It is possible to not bury your head in the Middle East sand and still support the club whatever way you choose. Being honest is ok and it’s possible to call out the Saudis for the terrible owners they would signify (for non football related reasons) and still support the club. Be like Americans leaving their country because they don’t agree with Trump.

I would prefer to win things as things stand or get owners who aren’t going to pump anymore into the club but just run it well. Chelsea and city’s success has been down to financial steroid enhancements (that’s it) and while the records show their success , in my eyes arsenal and Liverpool are the only proper clubs to challange united under SAF. (I respect jack walker’s investment in Blackburn). I’d sort of feel any Saudi money would be like that, kind of keying in a cheat code. I’d celebrate the wins, but deep down would know it’s kind of hollow.

Each to their own I suppose, we all choose what means something to us. I don’t think it’s a case of being morally superior , just looking at and accepting what matters to you. If you are ok with the Saudis taking over , you shouldn’t feel the need to argue or put down those who feel more strongly about the Saudis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Utd have become the new Liverpool

Has Ole been sacked yet?

For a striker, he's been very poor in coaching attacking play. The defensive side is decent but once we get into the last third the problems start. There's no patterns to the play and we rely on moments of magic or luck,we don't create them.
    Does anyone think the goals and chances created by City or Liverpool are happening by chance,no they are the result of coaching and working on systems and patterns in training which then translate to the pitch.

• Advertisement

We have already been here on this and I agree, but just because some folks chose to be ok with a Saudi purchase doesn't mean they are supporters of genocide.

They simply support a football club. And that's simply drawing a line.

You are right. It's no different as being a Gary Glitter fan. You can like his music, it doesn't mean you support his lifes style.

• ^Each to their own 82_one_128_eb706cf5.png

Gary Glitter would play the kids all the time.

Ralf Rangnick is still an option at Manchester United if Ole Gunnar Solskjær will get sacked. Rangnick is interested (Falk)

EDIT: To add....

[Falk] Ragnick says no to Bayern. Wenger is now the absolute favorite for the job as the Coach of Bayern

https://twitter.com/standardsport/status/1192038980105252865

Richarlison, good but inconsistent. He'd fit in well at United so.

I've a bad feeling we are going to see the dreaded scatter gun approach to transfers in January.

https://twitter.com/standardsport/status/1192038980105252865

Richarlison, good but inconsistent. He'd fit in well at United so.

I've a bad feeling we are going to see the dreaded scatter gun approach to transfers in January.

Good Christ I hope these kind of stories aren't true. Not because of the players mentioned per se, but if we're going to blow a load of money in January at least let it be on the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Good Christ I hope these kind of stories aren't true. Not because of the players mentioned per se, but if we're going to blow a load of money in January at least let it be on the midfield.

Hallaand looks like he will be a superb player, and the striker we lack. I'dbe happy getting him. THough yes, we do need work in midfield as well.

Let's go with a really unreliable source,The Metro who claim United have agreed terms with an unnamed striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Richarlison would be a terrible signing for United imo

• Advertisement

Hallaand looks like he will be a superb player, and the striker we lack. I'dbe happy getting him. THough yes, we do need work in midfield as well.

Saw prices of €85m being discussed though. Admittedly, I've not seen much of him, but is he worth that?

Former Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri would be perfect for Manchester United, says Italian World Cup-winning boss Marcello Lippi. (Mail)

While I voiced my reservation about him and his style surely it can't be any worse than what's being served up at the moment.
    At least he knows how to set a team up plus a big name at the helm would be more attractive than a manager who might be a club legend but hasn't a stellar management CV and is in charge of United's worst run in 30 years.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Saw prices of €85m being discussed though. Admittedly, I've not seen much of him, but is he worth that?

He's a goal machine but United would be sure to stop that as the likes of Ashley Young hit balls 4 feet over his head every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Former Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri would be perfect for Manchester United, says Italian World Cup-winning boss Marcello Lippi. (Mail)

While I voiced my reservation about him and his style surely it can't be any worse than what's being served up at the moment.
    At least he knows how to set a team up plus a big name at the helm would be more attractive than a manager who might be a club legend but hasn't a stellar management CV and is in charge of United's worst run in 30 years.

Allegri is probably the best option for Utd now in terms of managing the expectations of a huge club and delivering success. He's been successful at both Milan and Juventus delivering titles at both clubs.

Allegri would know how to get the best out of Pogba too. He has a good working relationship with him.

The football will not be the prettiest, but it has to come to a point as to whether you want pretty, losing football or more pragmatic football that gets the club back into the Champions League.

He looks talented, yes.

But our current glaring issue is the lack of any creative players in the squad with the exception of Pogba who’s “injury” becomes more suspicious by the day. Unless we plan on hoping that he, as an 18 year old coming from sub-par league, can both create and finish his own chances it’d be a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He looks talented, yes.

But our current glaring issue is the lack of any creative players in the squad with the exception of Pogba who’s “injury” becomes more suspicious by the day. Unless we plan on hoping that he, as an 18 year old coming from sub-par league, can both create and finish his own chances it’d be a waste.

A striker and a replacement for Pereira/Lingard in the starting 11 are badly needed.

• Advertisement

A striker and a replacement for Pereira/Lingard in the starting 11 are badly needed.

Watched Ajax Chelsea last night and I’d have happily let Ed send them a blank cheque and tell them pick which players they didn’t want. Even down to 9 men taking touches in midfield and stepping away from pressure while keeping their head up looking for a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Watched Ajax Chelsea last night and I’d have happily let Ed send them a blank cheque and tell them pick which players they didn’t want. Even down to 9 men taking touches in midfield and stepping away from pressure while keeping their head up looking for a pass.

I was quite surprised that Ziyech wasnt sold. Bayern were hotly tipped to sign him but would have loved him at United. He's very like Mahrez and was excellent against Spurs in the semi final. Van de Beek and Neres are the other two that stayed, surprisingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The biggest factor behind Halaand -> United is because OGS is the manager, and worked with him previously.
    On the other hand, he is a self confessed Leeds United fan, and his dad also played for Man City. His dad's career was finished by Roy Keane. That has to weigh against it also.

Was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago and it was talking about him with some people who have followed his career. They basically said that he hit puberty late so his frame only filled out in the last year or two giving him his size. Before that, he relied on his technique and developed that side of his game a lot as a result. Many younger players don't develop technique as they are just bigger/stronger/faster than everyone in their age group.

Personally, I think he has a stint at RB Leipzig before any other European team take him on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Ziyech is exactly what we need.

Equally comfortable putting in brilliant deliveries from wide areas (as we saw last night).....or playing in the No.10 role. And he's really good from set pieces too, which is another of our (many) failings.

Zero chance we'll ever get him, but we can always dream....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

FitzShane wrote: »
    The biggest factor behind Halaand -> United is because OGS is the manager, and worked with him previously.
    On the other hand, he is a self confessed Leeds United fan, and his dad also played for Man City. His dad's career was finished by Roy Keane. That has to weigh against it also.

Jaysus do people really still try to peddle this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement