Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Think Rashford has lots of talent but he's struggling big time at the moment. I don't see why we keep playing him up top as the lone striker. He's not a back to goal striker, he doesn't hold up the ball, doesn't link it, doesn't compete in the air.

He needs to be playing off a back to goal striker, either that or stick him out wide.
    Answer is rather simple.

We sold Lukaku, loaned out Sanchez, replaced neither and Martial got injured.

So Rashford is our only senior striker.

Rashfor d is being played as a lone striker because thats to incredible stupidity from Woodward and Ole he is our lone striker.

I do think if Martial was fit we'd be seeing him central more with Rashford free(er) around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So what is the attacking instruction and what are we working on in training?

Thats the thing for me. When Guardiola took over City there was a clear plan there to change the way they played football. They were fairly shít but it was obvious what he was trying to achieve.

For all of Ole chat, I don't see anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Martial has been central striker since late in preseason, think Ole has given up on his fairy-tale to convert Rashford and it's only out of necessity now, through Martial's injury, that he is being played there.

Any time Greenwood comes on, he is central and Rashford gets put out wide generally. Lesson learned hopefully.

As for who's fault it was not replacing Lukaku (or Sanchez), I put that on Ole, not Woodward, all day long. The way he handled the Lukaku/Rashford situation was naive at best and will the the main reason he may lose his job. It was so obvious at the time but he was caught up in some quest to turn Rashford into a striker since he took over and for most of summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That is a weird part.

As romantic as it sounds it's delusional.

I know , it’s crazy. I’d prefer a relegation dog fight then mid table nothing. Something to get the blood pressure going! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Whatever happens with the Glazers in charge, whatever money is spent (in next few windows) will have the ambition to bring us towards top 4 again, nothing more.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats the thing for me. When Guardiola took over City there was a clear plan there to change the way they played football. They were fairly shít but it was obvious what he was trying to achieve.

For all of Ole chat, I don't see anything.

We rely on catching them on the counter or a moment of individual brilliance. there is nothing else to our play. No tactical patterns etc. Its pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jonathan Wilson had some pretty damning stats about the attacking effort in the Newcastle game on the Football Weekly podcast yesterday.

Juan Mata, our central attacking midfielder and I guess our creative force... had 2 touches in the final third.

Rashford had 21 touches in 90 minutes. That's 2 less than Marcus Rojo - a defender who came on as a sub with 30 minutes to go.

Our "wingers" Daniel James and Andreas Perreira had 5 attempted crosses all game.

Begs the question.... we're not attacking through the middle, we're not using width and we're not playing direct to our strikers...or at least none of these are being done with any success.

So what is the attacking instruction and what are we working on in training?

It looks like there is no attacking plan and the stats seem to back this up... the passes we are trying in the final third are not pinpoint and purposefully placed to find the run of an attacker, more ‘percentage’ balls... ‘see if anyone gets on the end of it‘ type of deals... Rashford doesn’t have the instinct or whatever to make the kind of pinpoint lethally quick and incisive run to take a couple of defenders out and get a shot away... he is ‘utility forward’ as opposed to a striker, we just don’t have that edge up front.... Problem is if Martial is fit he isn’t ideally suited to play on his own up front either so it’s a catch 22.. id like to see him up front with someone of a creative vein just off him.... Rashford ain’t this guy..

PARlance wrote: »
    Any time Greenwood comes on, he is central and Rashford gets put out wide generally. Lesson learned hopefully.

yet against Alkmaar it was James central and Greenwood wide, oddly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Only 20 mins into this atm but definitely worth the listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

interedsting interview with Luis Campos. some of his signings as sporting direcotr and subsequest sales price:

Kylian Mbappe £0 £166m
    Nicolas Pepe £9m £72m
    Thomas Lemar £0 £63m
    James Rodriguez £38.4m £63m
    Anthony Martial £4m £57.6m
    Benjamin Mendy £11m £49.2m
    Fabinho £0 £43.7m
    Bernardo Silva £12.1m £43m
    Tiemoue Bakayoko £0 £40m

seems he would be interested in utd if such a role existed.

source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/33694/11830099/why-man-utd-need-a-sporting-director-luis-campos-on-friend-jose-mourinhos-struggles-at-old-trafford

Can someone show Ed and the glazer's this... For all the other real footballing reasons to have a DOF in place at United maybe just maybe pound signs could persuade them to invest in a DOF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I can't believe what is happening at the club

Haven't been posting as just can't believe it

The whole squad are absolutely god awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I can't believe what is happening at the club

Haven't been posting as just can't believe it

The whole squad are absolutely god awful

But thats all Manchester United is now.

Its a squad of individual players under the United umbrella.

the concept of a Team seems to have escaped the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Only way the club can come out of this is if 3 things happen. Firstly not nice to say but things have to get a whole lot worse to get Woodward and glaziers to throw in the towel. Secondly after this we need an experienced manager who is good tactically as well as player motivation. Thirdly we need to get rid of all the scrap in the squad, forget about superstars, they will come when they see the team heading in the right direction. We need grafters and hungry players willing to give 100% something we haven't seen for a long time. Its going to be a long road but trying to implement one of these steps without the other is a waste of time. Only my opinion but I'm willing to take a bit of pain as long as I'm seeing players who are trying and giving 100% instead of the pathetic displays I'm seeing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Can someone show Ed and the glazer's this... For all the other real footballing reasons to have a DOF in place at United maybe just maybe pound signs could persuade them to invest in a DOF.

Issue is as soon as a club see United coming that 12m for Bernardo turns into 40m. It's apples and oranges. Harry Maguire cost 80m ffs.

Also that ridiculous price for Martial. That's the highest yet is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Liam O wrote: »
    Issue is as soon as a club see United coming that 12m for Bernardo turns into 40m. It's apples and oranges. Harry Maguire cost 80m ffs.

That's because they know that Woodward is an idiot and has a history of spending a fortune on absolute junk. If that player has a haircut or tattoo that Ed could market then the price rises further.

Notice how this doesn't generally occur at Spurs as they know that Daniel Levy will simply laugh at them and walk away.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• I'm pretty sure some of the players in Spurs squad have tatoos and haircuts :P

• Only 20 mins into this atm but definitely worth the listen.

That was a great listen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gotta stop looking towards the kids as the solution buy some seasoned players build around them get some players like ibra mandzukic and any other guys going cheap or free fix the mess that's not fixing itself plug the creative gap and search our new players we don't have a class of 92 to build around that was a once off.

• Marcus Rojo is on 8 million a year
    ****ing hell Woodward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Liam O wrote: »

Also that ridiculous price for Martial. That's the highest yet is it?

I'd rather a strategy on a club level that has 5/6/7 year plan if that results in over paying in the short term so be it, over paying every three 2/3/4 years and new managers taking the club in a different directions is clearly not the way to be going.
    The manager/managers going forward need to fit into the club strategy not the reverse.

On the martial figure, think that was if all add-ons were hit, haven't a clue if they were iirc the base figure was low 30's

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Marcus Rojo is on 8 million a year
    ****ing hell Woodward

Scratching my head when the choice to sell him or blind came up they kept him. Blind is of course a bit slow, but he covers 3 positions, 2 of them very well, and is just a better football player without being a total liability. Rojo has managed 24 appearances in the last 2 years, and many of them were off the bench.

He should've just been released and written off if he didn't want to go but instead in 2018 they gave him a new contrat. It's nuts.

That's because they know that Woodward is an idiot and has a history of spending a fortune on absolute junk. If that player has a haircut or tattoo that Ed could market then the price rises further.

Notice how this doesn't generally occur at Spurs as they know that Daniel Levy will simply laugh at them and walk away.

God, this is nonsense of the highest order.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Scratching my head when the choice to sell him or blind came up they kept him. Blind is of course a bit slow, but he covers 3 positions, 2 of them very well, and is just a better football player without being a total liability. Rojo has managed 24 appearances in the last 2 years, and many of them were off the bench.

He should've just been released and written off if he didn't want to go but instead in 2018 they gave him a new contrat. It's nuts.

Loved Blind when he was here. Thought he was a very underrated player. As you said, he was slow, but his reading of the game was so good he rarely got caught out of position for someone to take advantage of it.

I remember people used to always say players like Lukaku would bully him, don't think Lukaku ever got a sniff against him.

Would have kept him over Bailly, Smalling, Jones and Rojo.

God, this is nonsense of the highest order.

https://images.app.goo.gl/H9aWdKN7xUETnUpJA

;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Loved Blind when he was here. Thought he was a very underrated player. As you said, he was slow, but his reading of the game was so good he rarely got caught out of position for someone to take advantage of it.

I remember people used to always say players like Lukaku would bully him, don't think Lukaku ever got a sniff against him.

That’s been the problem for years now, people think Blind would be acceptable, at centre back, Jaap Stam Steve Bruce gary pallister rio Ferdinand vidic. Never gets caught out of position, put him with Lindelof good distribution.

BDI wrote: »
    That’s been the problem for years now, people think Blind would be acceptable, at centre back, Jaap Stam Steve Bruce gary pallister rio Ferdinand vidic. Never gets caught out of position, put him with Lindelof good distribution.

Yeah it's a killer, bad decision after bad decision.

Instead we go and make Harry McGuire the most expensive defender in world football. Probably getting 800k a month too. Nothing against the chap he's a good player but nothing amazing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah it's a killer, bad decision after bad decision.

Instead we go and make Harry McGuire the most expensive defender in world football. Probably getting 800k a month too. Nothing against the chap he's a good player but nothing amazing.

McGuire would of been a great addition if we had a half decent team. De gea saved us in plenty of games himself for a couple of seasons. Unfair I think to be scrutinising McGuires performances when the shower of ****e in front of him havn't a clue what they are at and 90 % of their passing is backwards. James excluded from the shower of shtie remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I remember being at a game against Everton and he had Lukaku in his pocket. Lukaku was massive beside him but never got a kick of the ball as Blind could read the game so well. No last ditch suicide tackles that Jones would end up making against a striker.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Why do people have an issue spelling Maguire correctly? It's not as if he's had his name on the back of his shirt the past 6 seasons.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Why do people have an issue spelling Maguire correctly? It's not as if he's had his name on the back of his shirt the past 6 seasons.

Harry Maguire. Wouldn't want to spoil your day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

McGuire would of been a great addition if we had a half decent team. De gea saved us in plenty of games himself for a couple of seasons. Unfair I think to be scrutinising McGuires performances when the shower of ****e in front of him havn't a clue what they are at and 90 % of their passing is backwards. James excluded from the shower of shtie remarks.

Maguire...

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Maguire...

McGuire Maguire. Hard to work out for some. Suppose I better post old Trafford anymore incase they don't know what OT stands for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Utd sold two of their best defenders Blind and Johnny Evans and kept the dross like Smalling,Jones,Rojo and Young.
    It beggars belief .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I know it was only Newcastle but I that Tuanzebe had a decent game. Has the physical attributes to make a good partner for Maguire and is confident on the ball, his distribution isn't quite where you'd like it to be but he tries to break lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Daley Blind was never up to it imo. A very tidy footballer and pretty intelligent but no pace or physical presence. Not a good combination for the premier league.

Personally I was delighted when he was sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

adox wrote: »
    Daley Blind was never up to it imo. A very tidy footballer and pretty intelligent but no pace or physical presence. Not a good combination for the premier league.

Disagree. Far better than Rojo and Jones. Smart player...good delivery too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

old.jpg

;)

Ah there's Adox :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Should never have sold Ibra. A born winner, and knows how to get a goal. His presence alone would have inspired this shower of shytes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• The source is a Liverpool twitter account :P

Yep 100%... his physicality or lack of it was a weakness in the premier league. You don’t get many quality center backs under 6ft although his father proved to be one, an exceptional tackler and reader of the game was Danny, only 5’10” a classy defender and footballer too as well as a leader. I think you’ll get away with it in the Eredivisie or even Italy but I’d wonder again if Danny had have played in the Premier League especially in his era where there were more crosses and outright physical and aerial stuff would he have proved successful, doubtful.. to the same extent anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I'll always remember the 3-2 defeat away to West Ham near the end of LVG's last season. Blind had a rough time of it. They obviously targeted him as the physical weak link in the centre of our defence and he had a tough night.
    That result more or less ended our Top 4 hopes too.....so it always sticks in the memory.
    The game kind of summed up why he never quite came up to scratch as a CB in the Premier league. Like it or not it is a very physical league.

I always thought he did Ok at LB though. He would have been just fine as cover there and certainly offered more than Darmian or Rojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Phil Neville's son named in the Ireland u19 squad.... somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Simple, gets to play with us as he is probably not good enough for England, if he improves England will steal him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is Irish on the mothers side, he was with Valencia for a couple of years, with United this year

Was there ever a case of an international footballer for England whose son played for Ireland or visa versa ? Strange one, Neville always seemed like a very dyed in the wool proud England guy as a player and coach..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Strumms wrote: »
    Was there ever a case of an international footballer for England whose son played for Ireland or visa versa ? Strange one, Neville always seemed like a very dyed in the wool proud England guy as a player and coach..

Steve Bruce is a roundabout way. Didn’t he play for England B, while his son played for NI

I read recently that Stephen ireland’s son is in the English youth set up, maybe one for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Strumms wrote: »

Stephen Ireland's son is playing under 15's for England.

Rory Delap's son is playing under 16's for England and Man City signed him up he is a machine scoring goals at underage level.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement