Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Liam O wrote: »
    At the start of this season I was willing to believe this or something to that effect but he just isn't. Was played in what I thought was his best position, similar to the one McT is playing and the one he plays for France. There was nothing after the Chelsea game to suggest that his attitude to playing for United had changed and the difference in effort level between him and McT is pronounced.

When has Pogba ever been effective in a 2 man midfield for us or France? He isn't a no6 or a no8 he's played his best for France on the left side of a 3 midfield with Kante and Matuidi alas Juve and his best form for United under Ole has been in advanced midfield role, It is no coincidence he always plays better when he is giving the freedom do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

bmcc10 wrote: »
    The same can be said for the entire squad this past while, Pogba been played in a position and system that suits him is our best player.

Pogba slows things down with poses. Watch him. Every time he gets the ball he does this trademark stance and nudges the ball a bit to the right taking a second or two every time he gets the ball. I think if he goes back in that team they all become individuals again. Pogba might do something brilliant every 4 or so games but that’s the epitome of a YouTube highlight player. Mario Bollotelli used to do something brilliant every now and again too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd be more than happy for Pogba to come back into this team at the cost of our number 10 but I also think that it's really good news that the team is operating quite well without him. When we had our purple patch last year after Ole came in Pogba was involved in a very high percentage of the goals we scored during that run. I don't think his return to the team would all of a sudden result in our high press going out the window either.

I think we are in a much better position should he now decide that United isn't the best place for him going forward.

• Not to spin a negative here but the team that lost 1-0 to Bournemouth last week is operating in an inconsistent manner with or without Pogba

To the positive, I watched the full highlights last night.
    Small argument to be made the Dan James has been one of the best summer signings in the league this year so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Pogba is a world class talent who hasn't really operated at a world class level for United for any kind of identifiable period. Flashes, yes, but nothing sustained. The why of that is subject to all kinds of conjecture, but ultimately we are unlikely to ever really know.

If he wants to stay, he needs to earn his right to the place in the first 11. If he does that, then fair enough. Ole needs to be strong enough to handle decisions like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As big a defdender of Pogba as I am, I think the only way he can be brought back into the team is in place of Pereira/Lingard/Mata from that number 10 position. I don't think the team can afford to drop either McTominay or Fred (when they play well). We need their energy in midfield. I'd be ok with Pogba back in as a 3rd man in midfield, but he needs to play closer to the front players than the defenders in that role - there is not much point in him being behind Fred and McTominay in the play, it just reduces any forward options. He needs to be looking to score and create around the box rather than play out from a deep position.

Given I don't think Pereira, Lingard or Mata are any use to us as a third man in midfield, I'd be happy for it to be given a go - but the worry is, as said, Pogba coming deeper to get the ball rather than looking for space in the more attacking spaces.

Like we know Pogba can do this... its essentially what his role was with Juve. Not saying Fred or McTominay are anything like Pirlo and Vidal, but Pogba was clearly given a licence to roam in attacking positions by the positions and style of Vidal and Pirlo. Pogba needs to play a more attacking role for us, as he did at Juve. I always thought that is what Pogba would be for us, Jose's new Lampard in terms of being given free reign to attack from midfield and arrive late to cause problem. Jose never seemed to look for that from him, wanting him to play as a number 6 and be more defensive.

If we can get Pogba closer to the goal and interacting with Martial, Rashford and James more, it could be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DAILY STAR
    Manchester United can exercise their buy-back clause for Memphis Depay if Tottenham decide to weigh up a big-money move for the Lyon forward.

DAILY EXPRESS
    Manchester United are interested in signing Leeds United duo Kalvin Phillips and Ben White.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'd be more than happy for Pogba to come back into this team at the cost of our number 10 but I also think that it's really good news that the team is operating quite well without him.

I think some folks are getting a bit carried away. Our midfield has been quite poor last few months.
    Delighted with the win yesterday of course but we're just one game away from another Bournemouth or Newcastle or Partizan (away) performance.
    Our midfield, in a creative sense, was awful in those games.

I'm hoping Pereira will grow and develop as the season goes on. But the realist in me says he's not a viable long term option in the No. 10 role and should be no more than a squad player. He's inconsistent and is liable to drift or become anonymous in tight games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I thought Zlatan was off to Italy? Daily Mail claim United will move to sign him again.

He already posted a video on his Instagram hinting he is off to Spain.

He already posted a video on his Instagram hinting he is off to Spain.

Recently or a few weeks ago prior to him heading to spain for the lauch of clothing line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wouldn't be surprised to see him back at Milan. They're in a relegation battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

as inconsistent as pogba is i would have him in the team over andreas/lingard/mata.

Andreas & Lingard offer energy, running around but were not really lacking that we are lacking creativity which pogba will bring more of and if he is in no10 or what id hope more of a left sided midfielder would limit the negatives he does have.

Mata should only really play cup games or against the poorer sides in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

sky88 wrote: »

Mata should only really play cup games or against the poorer sides in the league

Hard when hes cup tied all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

DAILY STAR
    Manchester United can exercise their buy-back clause for Memphis Depay if Tottenham decide to weigh up a big-money move for the Lyon forward.

DAILY EXPRESS
    Manchester United are interested in signing Leeds United duo Kalvin Phillips and Ben White.

If depay was anyway matured and as effective in the PL as he is I ligue 1 now , a front 3 of him martial and rashford could be class

Never seen either of the Leeds lad play. I know Phillips has been linked to a few PL teams now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reported from Italy that Roma are prepared to wait until the summer to get Smalling on the cheap.
    Was it €20 million that United quoted them to sign him in January,the way he's playing for them, that's a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Reported from Italy that Roma are prepared to wait until the summer to get Smalling on the cheap.
    Was it €20 million that United quoted them to sign him in January,the way he's playing for them, that's a bargain.

i read recently that they will try with a bid of €12m +€3m add-ons.

However, his performance will surely alert some other clubs. Smalling isnt top tier but he is next level. Tyrone Mings was bought for €23m last summer and while he is younger, Smalling is a better defender.

That said most United fans would be happy with anything around the €15m-18m mark id say

There will be a few bids for Smalling. Sanchez not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Got home yesterday from a stag in Kilkenny around 1.45pm. Put on the game going "here we go again". Well how wrong was I? First time in fecking ages i watched a United game and a United team were actually playing. More of that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

damowill wrote: »
    i read recently that they will try with a bid of €12m +€3m add-ons.

However, his performance will surely alert some other clubs. Smalling isnt top tier but he is next level. Tyrone Mings was bought for €23m last summer and while he is younger, Smalling is a better defender.

That said most United fans would be happy with anything around the €15m-18m mark id say
    When it comes to actual defending, Smalling is fantastic. He dominates in the air and on the ground. Best defender we have at United IMO. I'd like to see a partnership with Maguire, however unlikely that may seem at the moment. The 15m being thrown around is an insult really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Can't believe he even got a fake cast for a fake injury

https://twitter.com/ManUtdMEN/status/1193907231290482690?s=20

Two or three weeks now the cast is removed. Loads of social media of him wiggling his toes and showing how hairy his leg got.
    Two or three weeks to show he is fit again shop window stuff.
    Probably a few tweets or instagrams of him dancing in a santy hat and hinting about new horizons. United do a deal with horizon windows as part of their Irish window partner. Pogba has mysterious injury again until summer.

Can't believe he even got a fake cast for a fake injury

https://twitter.com/ManUtdMEN/status/1193907231290482690?s=20

That's great, the squad badly needs depth going into an even more hectic run of games. Who said he had a fake injury though?

That's great, the squad badly needs depth going into an even more hectic run of games. Who said he had a fake injury though?

A few people on here, or at least that he made more of it than it was cause he didn't want to play.

A few people on here, or at least that he made more of it than it was cause he didn't want to play.

I don't think it was a few people on here, I think it was just me who said that he was "milking it for all it's worth" or something close to that.

Even Ole seemed to be unsure just what was wrong with Pogba or the extent of his injury up until the last few days. I don't think it was outside the realm of appropriateness to speculate in the midst of relative radio silence about Pogba's injury. Especially not after we've had a summer's worth of quotes from Pogba and his agent signifying Pogba's lack of a fúck about being at United. We have well-regarded sources such as Andy Mitten who have said that Pogba does not want to be at the club.

If he can come back from injury and make a contribution to a team which IMO has finally begun to show some kind of identity in the last run of games, like Martial has done for the team, that's great. I've nothing bet on it either way, just a feeling since late last season that if his head is gone from United and also his desire to play for the club, it's only going to end one way and in the meantime it's going to have overall negative effects on the team. I won't mind being proven wrong at all with a different outcome though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

adox wrote: »
    Hard when hes cup tied all the time.

This really isnt funny anymore - reported as thread spoiling

s8n wrote: »

Did he not play for Chelsea in the champions league though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'd say you're great craic at a party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Reported for having no sense of humour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Lads. Seriously ? We signed him 5 years ago. Let’s move onto more pressing matters !!

Lads. Seriously ? We signed him 5 years ago. Let’s move onto more pressing matters !!

Too effing right.

if we sign a player in January can they play in the europa league campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Too effing right.

As long as he aint called Mata he be fine.

Too effing right.

Not if they are cup tied. Like say for example we signed a player from Chelsea and he already played in the Europa league for Chelsea in that season as far as I’m aware we can’t play him in this years Europa league but the fa cup is at the discretion of rio Ferdinand.

he isn't much good in a pressing team either,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ah come on tell us, what's really the Mata?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Trigger wrote: »
    Ah come on tell us, what's really the Mata?

I doubt there's anything the Mata, he is probably just having Juan of those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thread spoiling? Is that a word?

Thread spoiling? Is that a word?

two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We’ve seen games like yesterday occasionally this season, they’re always followed by a run of shocking results and this time will be no different.

There is no progress there, we are stagnant and will be until we add some real quality to the side and a top manager.

I’m just looking forward to January, even if the chances of signing anyone are slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

We’ve seen games like yesterday occasionally this season, they’re always followed by a run of shocking results and this time will be no different.

There is no progress there, we are stagnant and will be until we add some real quality to the side and a top manager.

I’m just looking forward to January, even if the chances of signing anyone are slim.
    I dont think that this is fair. The defence is certainly more solid. The team itself feels more solid, you never feel like we are going to get pumped. We are clearly very good at counter attacking. We have players showing some level of form in certain positions, which I have not been able to say in a few years.

We are weak to teams that sit back. We really struggle to break teams down and that is something that we need to rectify. There are a couple of positions where you really need need options (definitely a 10, probably an LB, probably a CM and maybe a CB). We are also not deep at all and in our terrible games this season we have had to resort to kids like Greenwood, Gomes and Chong who simply are not ready. We need to be able to handle injuries better for sure.

But this team is far more enjoyable than the last year or two under Mourinho imo. We are sometimes a bit ****, sometimes a bit good and massively inconsistent, but I enjoy it more for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s the danger, these types of results get our hopes up. We see a run of fixtures where we predict we can and should go on a ‘run’ but we drop points against sub quality opponents who can’t match us on paper but on the field they out fight, out think and out play us.

Results like Sundays can get peoples hopes up but I think being overly pessimistic is just as egregious.
    What games like yesterday have we seen this season that have been followed by a 'run of shocking results'? The Chelsea game? Wouldn't even say that was a similar game to Saturday.

I think there has been some progress as of late but unfortunately results and performances may be a bit erratic in the coming weeks based on how thin and inexperienced our squad is.

• S.M.B. wrote: »
    Results like Sundays can get peoples hopes up but I think being overly pessimistic is just as egregious.

What games like yesterday have we seen this season that have been followed by a 'run of shocking results'? The Chelsea game? Wouldn't even say that was a similar game to Saturday.

I think there has been some progress as of late but unfortunately results and performances may be a bit erratic in the coming weeks based on how thin and inexperienced our squad is.

Bournemouth just over a week ago which was a shocking result after a run of 3 wins in all competitions
    Short term memory lads!

That's a run of good results followed by a single shocking result which is very different to what I quoted.

• S.M.B. wrote: »
    That's a run of good results followed by a single shocking result which is very different to what I quoted.

Fair enough...but....

4j7cvou.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And thats just the results. Calling our actual performances enjoyable and better than the last 2 years requires a large amount of cognitive dissonance.

• And thats just the results. Calling our actual performances enjoyable and better than the last 2 years requires a large amount of cognitive dissonance.

The performances were equally as bad as the results. I don't think many can argue otherwise.

Fair enough...but....
    That is clearly a bad run of results (and performances), no denying that but I don't see how it followed on from a very positive performance as most were very disappointed with how we played against both Leicester and Astana.

I guess you could argue that United have gotten some positive results (Chelsea & Leicester) but then gone on a poor run a few times this season but I still think it's harsh to say we've seen performances like Sunday that are always followed by a run of shocking results and this time will be no different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I dont think that this is fair. The defence is certainly more solid. The team itself feels more solid, you never feel like we are going to get pumped. We are clearly very good at counter attacking. We have players showing some level of form in certain positions, which I have not been able to say in a few years.

We are weak to teams that sit back. We really struggle to break teams down and that is something that we need to rectify. There are a couple of positions where you really need need options (definitely a 10, probably an LB, probably a CM and maybe a CB). We are also not deep at all and in our terrible games this season we have had to resort to kids like Greenwood, Gomes and Chong who simply are not ready. We need to be able to handle injuries better for sure.

But this team is far more enjoyable than the last year or two under Mourinho imo. We are sometimes a bit ****, sometimes a bit good and massively inconsistent, but I enjoy it more for whatever reason.

Nothing this season has made me think that.

The run from the win v Astana in OT to the away win v Partizan was grim. 8 games and 8 shoddy performances bar the game v Liverpool but even than it was hard to watch imo.

Diabolical vs Astana, shocker v West Ham, embarrassment v Newcastle. Definitely a case for Ole to be sacked in that time.

Great performance on Sunday v Brighton but let’s not get carried away here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement