Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Saw customary YouTube vids of olmonwhen linked last summer seems a very tidy player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Everybody in the whole of football will be linked over the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Saw customary YouTube vids of olmonwhen linked last summer seems a very tidy player

he's extremely talented imo should get some minutes for spain tonight, petkovic big strong can hold the ball up, has a first touch and can find a pass, think he would suit the prem. orsic is your typical winger fast good delivery and knows where the goal is. Its the croatian league of course but they've played well in the champions league also this season. Olmo was brilliant for spain at u21s championship last summer and petkovic has been doing it for the croatian national team also. Like i said would 100% take all 3 especially for the prices we would most likely get them for, highly unlikely we get all 3 though i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I see Gomes was playing for the England U20's yesterday. Got 2 assists and won a penalty. Its a bit concerning though to see he was playing. I thought he was injured and thats why he hadnt been in a matchday squad for quiet a while. Also Im open to correction but I didnt think he had played for the U23's recently either.

Is he refusing to sign a new contract? Has he been dropped for that reason? Would be such a shame to lose him. I think he has great potential.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I see Gomes was playing for the England U20's yesterday. Got 2 assists and won a penalty. Its a bit concerning though to see he was playing. I thought he was injured and thats why he hadnt been in a matchday squad for quiet a while. Also Im open to correction but I didnt think he had played for the U23's recently either.

Is he refusing to sign a new contract? Has he been dropped for that reason? Would be such a shame to lose him. I think he has great potential.

Maybe he's just back from injury and Utd decided it would be good for him to get games with the England U20s. I doubt he'd be dropped from the Utd U23s for stalling on a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

more and more reports of United going for Haaland - Ole dispatching his most trusted scout is the latest report.

looks like a real talent, and would be a tough get for United at the moment you would have to think. Would imagine all the top clubs will be after him and RB might end up moving him from one RB club to another.

Also would wonder how Ole would plan on getting Rashford, Martial and Haaland into a balanced front 3, and incorporate Greenwood as well. Haaland would be proper striker, central and up top. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are capable of playing from wider positions. I suppose having a problem of who to play up front would be nice! I always have in my mind however that if you pay near 100million for a player (it could be around 80) that you have to play them. If United were after Sancho too (and who knows) then fook knows what Ole would have planned as is first choice forward line. My opinion (on those signings) would be Rash, Haaland and Sancho. But who am I kidding, Haaland and Sancho are very unlikely signings for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

more and more reports of United going for Haaland - Ole dispatching his most trusted scout is the latest report.

looks like a real talent, and would be a tough get for United at the moment you would have to think. Would imagine all the top clubs will be after him and RB might end up moving him from one RB club to another.

Also would wonder how Ole would plan on getting Rashford, Martial and Haaland into a balanced front 3, and incorporate Greenwood as well. Haaland would be proper striker, central and up top. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are capable of playing from wider positions. I suppose having a problem of who to play up front would be nice! I always have in my mind however that if you pay near 100million for a player (it could be around 80) that you have to play them. If United were after Sancho too (and who knows) then fook knows what Ole would have planned as is first choice forward line. My opinion (on those signings) would be Rash, Haaland and Sancho. But who am I kidding, Haaland and Sancho are very unlikely signings for United.

Bayern are after him too apparently to replace Lewandowski but Ole previously coached him at Molde so that could swing heavily in our favor.

Bayern are after him too apparently to replace Lewandowski but Ole previously coached him at Molde so that could swing heavily in our favor.

I would not be surprised if Bayern were interested, but (based on nothing!) i would assume that if he moves to Germany it would be to RB Leipzig, and from there to another country (unless he runs his contract down and signs for Bayern on a free).

But I could see Madrid being after him to replace Benzema (and Jovic isn't working out there at all!), Juve would likely be interested. City, Chelsea and maybe Liverpool. At. Madrid could look to pull off another Felix signing... etc. There will be no shortage of teams interested in him - if it looks like he could be bought.

with RB money a possibility of just moving him from Salzburg to Leipzig if the main thing Haaland is looking for is a better team/league to develop in there is a very good chance no club that doesn't have Red Bull in their name has a hope of signing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Throw james in there too, would be nice to have the options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Or heavily against!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Unfortunately the poster above is probably correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

beno619 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the poster above is probably correct.

Yeah,or not!!

"He has had a huge impact on my life, both as a person and as a trainer. He won the Champions League and was an incredibly good player. He has taught me a lot."

The youngster added: "I have dreamed of playing for the best clubs in the world my whole life, and I especially like English football."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Unfortunately Utd haven't been part of the "best club" bracket for long time now :/

Dozyart wrote: »
    Yeah,or not!!

"He has had a huge impact on my life, both as a person and as a trainer. He won the Champions League and was an incredibly good player. He has taught me a lot."

The youngster added: "I have dreamed of playing for the best clubs in the world my whole life, and I especially like English football."

Yeah those qoute's have been bandied about a lot. Not sure I'd buy them as anything but lovely words for someone he's worked with before.

Yeah those qoute's have been bandied about a lot. Not sure I'd buy them as anything but lovely words for someone he's worked with before.

Yeah, so we'll go with playing for solskjaer again would put him right off instead. Cool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jamie Jackson saying we are weighing up a move for Sancho in the winter window.

Apparently Sancho is having a bit of a problem with the Dortmund coaching staff at the moment. Jackson apparently also reporting the lack of CL isn’t an issue, and he’d have been open to a move in the summer but Dortmund refused to listen to offers, a stance that will likely change if there is a conflict now in their camp.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Apparently Sancho is having a bit of a problem with the Dortmund coaching staff at the moment. Jackson apparently also reporting the lack of CL isn’t an issue, and he’d have been open to a move in the summer but Dortmund refused to listen to offers, a stance that will likely change if there is a conflict now in their camp.

Problems with the club don't bode well.
    Open to a move without CL? A huge departure from the reports in the summer. Jackson ain't the most reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It would be great to have all those options... then you get to pick Lingard, Mata or Pereira to play in behind them. I hope we're prioritising that 10/ACM ahead of a striker. A half decent back up to Martial, like MM would do me for Jan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lord TSC wrote: »

From the BL thread. The reason for his 'issues' with the coaching staff.
    He returned from international duty 24 hours late, was late for training and other official club events recently on a numberof occasions and broke 1 or 2 other rules internally.......reported recently that people within the club are affraid he is going down the same road as a certain Dembele hence the hard hand... fines and match day suspension. Its not the first time he has been repremanded....

Sounds like he's getting a bit big headed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ if any of thats true we need to run away from doing a deal. Certainly not what we need.

Yeah, so we'll go with playing for solskjaer again would put him right off instead. Cool.

Not sure it would put him off, I just don't believe it'll tip the scale in our favour in a shoot out against better run clubs who can offer him similar money and a path to the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ if any of thats true we need to run away from doing a deal. Certainly not what we need.

He's 19 years old.......

If you think about it's barely nothing compared to what the class of 99 got up to when they were youngsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

The problem with signing a Sancho or similar big ticket young players is that we will end up paying them ridiculous money, probably £200k+ which is preposterous. We are a mid table team at the moment with a manager badly out of his depth so are far from an attractive proposition. The knock on from that is that when the contracts are due for renewal, say they have performed well, we'll end up having to increase an already massive wage for fear of them leaving on a free, the club will completely end up bent over a barrell.

Not sure it would put him off, I just don't believe it'll tip the scale in our favour in a shoot out against better run clubs who can offer him similar money and a path to the first team.

The post at the start of this said ole being manager would have the opposite effect to making us an attractive option. So put him off. That's what I'm responding to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

The problem with signing a Sancho or similar big ticket young players is that we will end up paying them ridiculous money, probably £200k+ which is preposterous. We are a mid table team at the moment with a manager badly out of his depth so are far from an attractive proposition. The knock on from that is that when the contracts are due for renewal, say they have performed well, we'll end up having to increase an already massive wage for fear of them leaving on a free, the club will completely end up bent over a barrell.

The alternative is to buy cheap relatively unknown young players and hope they turn out to be world beaters..

these days u have to pay big transfer fees and big wages, or get lucky with the unknown player u signed for cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Interesting

Lukaku: Solskjaer wanted me to stay but I made decision to leave Man Utd in March

Seems like Ole didn't force him out or want to solely depend on Rashford as many here have stated. Surely we go for a striker in January now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If they knew in March they had 5 months to get a striker in. Unforgivable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rock77 wrote: »
    The alternative is to buy cheap relatively unknown young players and hope they turn out to be world beaters...

Whatever happened to scouting these players? The players are out there its not just about luck the problem is that most top half top flight clubs don't have the time to allow players to develope but it is still possible to buy talented unknown players.

It's not just luck that teams just outside the top tier of Europe teams can keep turning unknown players into top players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Agree with this to be honest. I don't believe it's all on ole either but the entire setup of the club is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

jayo26 wrote: »
    Agree with this to be honest. I don't believe it's all on ole either but the entire setup of the club is at fault.

Agreed, before I was saying they sold late to get the best amount for lukaku, now I think they left it late to say "oh not enough time to buy someone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Rock77 wrote: »
    The alternative is to buy cheap relatively unknown young players and hope they turn out to be world beaters..

these days u have to pay big transfer fees and big wages, or get lucky with the unknown player u signed for cheap.

No issue with big fees or big wages, for proven talent.

Sancho has had what, 18 good months?

Rashford is on obscene money for what he has produced thus far and if he does happen to come up trumps and turn into a 20+ league goals a season player then happy days however he is as likely to be another Welbeck as anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jayo26 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to scouting these players? The players are out there its not just about luck the problem is that most top half top flight clubs don't have the time to allow players to develope but it is still possible to buy talented unknown players.

It's not just luck that teams just outside the top tier of Europe teams can keep turning unknown players into top players.

For whatever reason, we do one of two things.

Buy mercenaries looking for a final pay cheque.

Splash out massive on unproven talent.

In fairness, I'd say James and AWB are proof we're kind of looking away from that mentality. I like Maguire, but he was very expensive when there was absolutely cheaper European alternatives (though I appreciate they wanted home grown, etc).

You look at the likes of Fabinho, Salah, Firminho, Mane....Liverpool have managed to find that really good balance between "Big names" and "Unproven kids". All signed for round 40m, and they upped what they paid as nessecary (for VVD and Allison).

I feel if we had proper scouting teams set up, or probably rather if Woodward was more competant, we'd be able to scout and snag better players in the 30-45m bracket. Players a step below world class, but who will kick on with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Woodward boasted that the club scouted over 800 right backs before signing AWB. Over 800 before going to one of the standout full backs in the EPL last season isn't something to be boasting about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Truth. It’s not as if they need to get off their asses and do much. Succession planning in any business is absolutely crucial... there should be a document somewhere that is on file with the preferred replacements or additions to every position in the team... for adding to the squad primarily but in an instance where there is an injury or two or all of a sudden or a player jumps ship or is pushed, it’s doesn't take a week of meetings to sort out, just something like getting Ole in, going through the options ..

Strikers / Forwards..

1. Icardi
    2. Lewandowski
    3. Griezmann
    4. Mbappe

Who does he want the club to prioritize getting, get them bidding, negotiating get a deal done. Our recruitment of players needs to be a whole lot better, aggressive and efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Strumms wrote: »
    Truth. It’s not as if they need to get off their asses and do much. Succession planning in any business is absolutely crucial... there should be a document somewhere that is on file with the preferred replacements or additions to every position in the team... for adding to the squad primarily but in an instance where there is an injury or two or all of a sudden or a player jumps ship or is pushed, it’s doesn't take a week of meetings to sort out, just something like getting Ole in, going through the options ..

Strikers / Forwards..

1. Icardi
    2. Lewandowski
    3. Griezmann
    4. Mbappe

Who does he want the club to prioritize getting, get them bidding, negotiating get a deal done. Our recruitment of players needs to be a whole lot better, aggressive and efficient.

And two of the four you listed were very much open to moving during the window !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

And two of the four you listed were very much open to moving during the window !!

And both are two you wouldn't want near the dressing room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bmcc10 wrote: »

I personally want top level players in the dressing room, maybe that's just me though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

bmcc10 wrote: »

Beggars can't be choosy, Icardi went on loan for the year, can't see what the big gamble would have been with him. Yeah he and Wanda might have created a fuss after 6/7 months, fine off you go back to Inter after having found the net numerous times :D I wouldn't have been on for him signing permanently but a 12 month loan he'd have done a nice job. Anyway, wasn't done so we move on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nani 33 today.

A good player for United, still think he was so close to the next level but it never happened for him.

https://twitter.com/ManUnitedZone_/status/1196015263919038464?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

DM_7 wrote: »
    Nani 33 today.

A good player for United, still think he was so close to the next level but it never happened for him.

https://twitter.com/ManUnitedZone_/status/1196015263919038464?s=19

Possibly one of the most frustrating players I have ever seen. When you talk about mentality, hard work, team work and drive, , Nani is not a player that comes to mind. But he had talent and skill in abundance. I think he’s the perfect example to show people who want to know what separates nearly players from top class players. There really was nothing Physical stopping him from being one of the best players in the league but he never really pushed on from his early promise.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Possibly one of the most frustrating players I have ever seen. When you talk about mentality, hard work, team work and drive, , Nani is not a player that comes to mind. But he had talent and skill in abundance. I think he’s the perfect example to show people who want to know what separates nearly players from top class players. There really was nothing Physical stopping him from being one of the best players in the league but he never really pushed on from his early promise.

Can't believe people still think this about a player who was player of the year for a PL winning team. When played consistently on the right he was top level. Could pull something out of nothing that made the difference between a draw and a win, even when not having his best game. There's a reason it was him who Carragher did the hatchet job on that time.

Look at him in the Euros for Portugal a couple of years after he was thrown out of United for an inexplicable reason. He's not been replaced and that side has been deplorable since he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Liam O wrote: »
    Can't believe people still think this about a player who was player of the year for a PL winning team. When played consistently on the right he was top level. Could pull something out of nothing that made the difference between a draw and a win, even when not having his best game. There's a reason it was him who Carragher did the hatchet job on that time.

Look at him in the Euros for Portugal a couple of years after he was thrown out of United for an inexplicable reason. He's not been replaced and that side has been deplorable since he left.

Ah would you stop , he peaked over 3 years in his early 20s, that’s it. If he was good enough leaving United wouldn’t of deterred better clubs from signing him. As I said, he had the talent but his career was a relative disappointment for what he showed he could do at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Some great goals in that compilation.

Alot in 'B' comps or CL lightweights, perhaps?

I didn't remember that many long rangers tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭henke

Nice finish from Rashford. Man is on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Liam O wrote: »

Definitely pushed out of Man Utd was too soon, he should have been a very important player for us between 2014-to maybe even 2017(option of the bench at that stage) Instead Ashley Young is still here and Valencia until recent years too. Nani far more talented than both. Has been a great player for Portugal too. Their main man at Euro 2016

Drumpot wrote: »
    Ah would you stop , he peaked over 3 years in his early 20s, that’s it. If he was good enough leaving United wouldn’t of deterred better clubs from signing him. As I said, he had the talent but his career was a relative disappointment for what he showed he could do at times.

As I said he was the main player for a PL winning team and a major contributor to a European Championship win. I think his problem was a lack of trust at times and injuries at inopportune times. He did well in the CL when on loan at Sporting when United were in the EL under LVG. I don't doubt he could have achieved more in his career but I don't think that's overly to do with his ability or what he showed on the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

9 goals in his last 10 games for Rashford (United and England).

Great form, really stepping up his game this season.

It’s hard to tell if he is going to be a top top level player or what.
    9 in ten is amazing but consider how many dead certs he missed over those ten games and it could realistically be 15 or 16 in ten.

Do you say that if it clicks for him he will be scoring 15 or 16 or do you say he isn’t clinical enough to get 9 out of ten unless he had games where he is offered 30 good chances in ten.

Could see the next Ronaldo or just another striker with pace and power.

Suppose it all rests on how clinical he can become. Still very young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

BDI wrote: »
    It’s hard to tell if he is going to be a top top level player or what.
    9 in ten is amazing but consider how many dead certs he missed over those ten games and it could realistically be 15 or 16 in ten.

Do you say that if it clicks for him he will be scoring 15 or 16 or do you say he isn’t clinical enough to get 9 out of ten unless he had games where he is offered 30 good chances in ten.

Could see the next Ronaldo or just another striker with pace and power.

Suppose it all rests on how clinical he can become. Still very young.

Covering all the bases there ain't ya :pac:

• Advertisement

Trigger wrote: »
    Covering all the bases there ain't ya :pac:

Well that’s the thing with him, you can’t tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement