Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Liam O wrote: »
    As I said he was the main player for a PL winning team and a major contributor to a European Championship win. I think his problem was a lack of trust at times and injuries at inopportune times. He did well in the CL when on loan at Sporting when United were in the EL under LVG. I don't doubt he could have achieved more in his career but I don't think that's overly to do with his ability or what he showed on the pitch.

Where did I say he lacked ability? Never said he lacked ability but he never fulfilled his potential. I’m not really sure what doing well for Portugal suggests either as he played for them during a golden generation for that country. Messi plays quite poor for Argentina, does anybody care? So Nani raised his game for a tournament and one or two seasons in his career , how does disprove anything I’ve said?

Antonio Valencia was our player of the year aswell, I don’t know what winning it one season does other then suggest a player failed to meet that level again. A 2 month injury for Nani (2012-13) doesn’t explain his demise or that no other club thought him worth a punt if he was that good. Nani was infuriating and quite often lost the ball more frequently then pogba and quite often in more dangerous positions. Consistency was a huge issue and quite often you wouldn’t know what sort of Nani you were going to get each game.

Think a lot of you have rose tinted glasses when it comes to him. Things really have gone to pot when people are lamenting Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Ahahhaha fcuk me are we actually discussing NANI......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I assume it's because its his birthday today and the official YouTube channel put a compilation of his best goals up???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Any word on Scott mctominay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Rashfords career is going to be torture to read about as he swings from being the next Ronaldo to David Bellion and back again in a fortnight.

Can’t believe Nani is only 33. Don’t know why but it just seems weird.

Is anyone thinking Emre Can could be a good signing? If he was interested and available for a reported 40 million then would you? He’s 26 in January. Not sure what role he fills but I liked him at Liverpool as an all action midfielder.

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    Any word on Scott mctominay?

Revelation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DAILY MIRROR
    Aston Villa have no plans to sell John McGinn to Manchester United in January - and would only allow him to depart in the summer if an eye-watering offer was lodged.
    Manchester United have reportedly drawn up a shortlist of eight long-term transfer targets.

• Drumpot wrote: »
    Revelation

Idetectsarcasm.gif

I assume he ment his injury :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Emre Can has always been bang average as far as I’ve seen him. He must have the best agent in the world or I’m missing something. He doesn’t really do anything better than anybody else and I’ve never seen him change a game or change an opponents game.

Every year he is linked to the top teams. How did he even end up at juve is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Rom the big baby apparently....

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11863910/jose-mourinho-was-warned-about-big-baby-romelu-lukaku-says-former-everton-director-of-football-steve-walsh

When Jose [Mourinho] signed Romelu Lukaku from Everton, I remember saying to him, 'You have to be careful with Lukaku. He is a big baby, you know'.

clarke also mentions pogba.....

"That is the case with him and Paul Pogba. They aren't my type of players. They are more about themselves than the team. I wouldn't have touched them. Because they are good players doesn't mean you are going to get a good team out of it."

Dont know where I sit with this. Regardless, a replacement should have been organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Rom the big baby apparently....

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11863910/jose-mourinho-was-warned-about-big-baby-romelu-lukaku-says-former-everton-director-of-football-steve-walsh

When Jose [Mourinho] signed Romelu Lukaku from Everton, I remember saying to him, 'You have to be careful with Lukaku. He is a big baby, you know'.

clarke also mentions pogba.....

"That is the case with him and Paul Pogba. They aren't my type of players. They are more about themselves than the team. I wouldn't have touched them. Because they are good players doesn't mean you are going to get a good team out of it."

Dont know where I sit with this. Regardless, a replacement should have been organised.

To me it looks like Steve Walsh trying to put his name forward for the DOF role.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11864120/manchester-united-announce-almost-140m-increase-in-net-debt
    ”We have a clear vision in terms of football philosophy and recruitment," Woodward said. "The significant investments that we have made in recent years in areas such as transfers, recruitment infrastructure, analytics and our academy are already beginning to bear fruit.

I’d argue that what this out of his depth accountant has been spouting for 7 years and what we have gotten have consistently contradicted each other. He says words that sound good but how he’s wasted the clubs resources on the football side , how we havent been able to have one successful manager (relative to expectations) during his tenure and how we have never seen the team play any consistently decent football has been little short of shambolic.

Anytime I see Woodward quotes I picture somebody slapping him with a wet fish to cheer myself up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ornstein in the Athletic asked about Mandzukic. Said he’s not sure we will still be interested in him anymore given he’s not played much this season. Also says he’s heard whispers Haaland Sr has already visited United’s grounds though ahead of a possible transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It does seem silly to buy someone in January to plug a hole for the short term when that person will be nowhere near match fit, let alone up to the pace of the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It does seem silly to buy someone in January to plug a hole for the short term when that person will be nowhere near match fit, let alone up to the pace of the PL.

Yup, if they are just looking to plug a hole, then a loan deal is what they should be after. Bound to be a decent forward looking for regular game time ahead of the Euro's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Rooney is joining Derby in January as a player/coach would any of ye fancy Rooney for the balance of the season ?

Was still doing a job over in MLS last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rooney is joining Derby in January as a player/coach would any of ye fancy Rooney for the balance of the season ?

No, I didn't fancy him to do a job when he was still a United player, evidenced by his second Everton career and nothing of his MLS exploits would convince me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

That particular tugboat sailed a long time ago.

That particular tugboat sailed a long time ago.

I saw a tugboat earlier while out for a walk on the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'd ask Bobby Charlton to pull on his boots before I'd ask Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I'd take Zlatan over Rooney by a million miles if we are going to go down that route.

• Ironically Rooney should be perma-deleted from the recylebin to remove any thoughts of him making a return

Weak effort, I know. It's a slow Monday

Ironically Rooney should be perma-deleted from the recylebin to remove any thoughts of him making a return

Weak effort, I know. It's a slow Monday

May as well have asked if we fancy taking callum best. Rooney was finished a year before he left United.

I’d rather leave as is than buy somebody for 6 months. We won’t get in the top 4 and won’t get relegated this year. An out and out big man striker that will happily sit on the bench when we sign somebody top class in summer would be my choice. Somebody at the bottom half of the top leagues or top half of the championships of Europe. A ten or twenty minute man. Fellaini sadly would be ideal.

Hate the way he was treated by some fans. Although I wonder did he demand to play midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I’d take Rooney back. Play him at 10 with Lee Cattermole and Leon Britton in behind him to cover. It will be interesting to see if Eddie Howe goes for him though.

I’d take Rooney back. Play him at 10 with Lee Cattermole and Leon Britton in behind him to cover. It will be interesting to see if Eddie Howe goes for him though.

Leon Britton was the best midfielder in England at one stage as far as I recall. Long time ago though. I think Mata was playing cup matches for Spain and Chelsea at the time. Which I couldn’t understand but I find the rules hard to follow.

Simon Stone: Man Utd position re January remains same, they will act if pre-existing target is available. Mandzukic keeps being mentioned but with all talk of academy - re-emphasised by EW today - a 33-year-old who has not played this season and last completed 90 mins in April would seem odd.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Simon Stone: Man Utd position re January remains same, they will act if pre-existing target is available. Mandzukic keeps being mentioned but with all talk of academy - re-emphasised by EW today - a 33-year-old who has not played this season and last completed 90 mins in April would seem odd.

Who is pre existing target? Bale/griezmann?

BDI wrote: »
    Who is pre existing target? Bale/griezmann?

Sancho, presumably. Halaand too, I'd guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

EW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    EW?

Ed Woodward??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Luke Shaw looks a real prospect too - going to be our left back for the next 15 years. Can’t wait to see what sort of player that Lingard boy turns into though, he tore up the Milk Cup.

Sancho, presumably. Halaand too, I'd guess.

Rice, longstaff, haaland, Sancho.

I do reckon there are probably some more senior players, like Maguire is, that the club are looking to sign. It would be insane to think its a youth only approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

No, I didn't fancy him to do a job when he was still a United player, evidenced by his second Everton career and nothing of his MLS exploits would convince me otherwise.

Yeah the MLS is league 1 standard at best Rooney is finished at PL level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Are we seriously contemplating resigning a 34 year old MLS player and a 34 year old Juve forward ? Think we need to be targeting players with potential and closer to their peak then taking a punt on fellas falling off a cliff in terms of their career..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Yeah I'd be open to that.

Strumms wrote: »
    Are we seriously contemplating resigning a 34 year old MLS player and a 34 year old Juve forward ? Think we need to be targeting players with potential and closer to their peak then taking a punt on fellas falling off a cliff in terms of their career..

No, we are obviously not - given the 34 year old MLS player is very obviously contracted to do something else, so there is zero chance we (or the club) or contemplating it.

Mandzukic is a different matter, would be a hugely risky move by the club if they were going for him over another target, even a short term one. Not played 90mins since April. Seems the club had at least some interest in him, as a backup player anyway, in the summer but we've obviously no idea if that has continued to the point of signing him in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have no idea what plan Mandzukic or any equivalent fits into?

In the summer, sure, there were top 4 ambitions and a reliable back up striker was a definite requirement. Now? With the season already torpedoed? The damage is done so what would be the point?

If ever they were going to go all in on youth it might as well be now since they have already taken the hit. Any player they buy in January should be with the medium to long term in mind because the short term is already irrelevant.

I have no idea what plan Mandzukic or any equivalent fits into?

In the summer, sure, there were top 4 ambitions and a reliable back up striker was a definite requirement. Now? With the season already torpedoed? The damage is done so what would be the point?

If ever they were going to go all in on youth it might as well be now since they have already taken the hit. Any player they buy in January should be with the medium to long term in mind because the short term is already irrelevant.

It is unlikely the club are of the opinion the season is already finished and should be forgotten about. CL football would be difficult but not impossible via the league.

CL football could still be won via winning the Europa League.

The club would probably still consider it important to at least be in the Europa League next season so winning the FA Cup or finishing top 6/7 is still required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is unlikely the club are of the opinion the season is already finished and should be forgotten about. CL football would be difficult but not impossible via the league.

CL football could still be won via winning the Europa League.

The club would probably still consider it important to at least be in the Europa League next season so winning the FA Cup or finishing top 6/7 is still required.

They probably do think all that, and it illustrates how jumbled up their thinking and decision making processes are, so reactive all the time, constantly a day late and a dollar short.

• Advertisement

They probably do think all that, and it illustrates how jumbled up their thinking and decision making processes are, so reactive all the time, constantly a day late and a dollar short.

I don't know that I would prefer the club to be working on the assumption this season is finished. In November. While still in 3 Cups. 9 points off 4th.

A signing of someone like Mandzukic (in theory) could be medium/long term in mind.

1. We need to improve our prospects in this season.
    2. We can't get our ideal targets in Jan (lets say Sancho and Haaland, for eg).
    3. We sign a short term contract with an older player who can and will play as a backup option without blocking the possibility of signing the priority targets in the summer.

Daily Mail reporting Pochetino on the verge of leaving Spurs. Would be surprised, but also interested to see if United bite the bullet on Ole and go for Poch while he is free. Or will Bayern snap him up.

Daily Mail reporting Pochetino on the verge of leaving Spurs. Would be surprised, but also interested to see if United bite the bullet on Ole and go for Poch while he is free. Or will Bayern snap him up.

I don't think the club will sack Ole at the moment, on a decent run of form.

But I do think it's going to put Ole into a bad spot, because I think the specter of Poch will be hanging over him, just like when Jose's was over Van Gaal.

There's a lot of fans who do not believe Ole is up for the job, but it's not like there's a tonne of alternatives that are out of work. If someone at Poch's level is freely available, it's going to up the calls for him to be brought in asap.

I don't think the club will sack Ole at the moment, on a decent run of form.

But I do think it's going to put Ole into a bad spot, because I think the specter of Poch will be hanging over him, just like when Jose's was over Van Gaal.

There's a lot of fans who do not believe Ole is up for the job, but it's not like there's a tonne of alternatives that are out of work. If someone at Poch's level is freely available, it's going to up the calls for him to be brought in asap.

Agreed.

If Poch is available the club has to seriously consider him. If the club truly has committed to a football strategy then like every other half decent run club, a new manager that is on board with that structure shouldn’t be a problem. Poch has form at growing spurs with next to nothing to spend, its an unbelievable achievement and deserves respect with serious consideration. I’d argue he’s gotten spurs as high as possible under the financial constraints and a step up to a club that can grant him more funds is exactly a challange he deserves.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Agreed.

If Poch is available the club has to seriously consider him. If the club truly has committed to a football strategy then like every other half decent run club, a new manager that is on board with that structure shouldn’t be a problem. Poch has form at growing spurs with next to nothing to spend, its an unbelievable achievement and deserves respect with serious consideration. I’d argue he’s gotten spurs as high as possible under the financial constraints and a step up to a club that can grant him more funds is exactly a challange he deserves.

Poch is currently running spurs into the ground. Pep could be available shortly. I’d hang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

BDI wrote: »
    Poch is currently running spurs into the ground. Pep could be available shortly. I’d hang on.

:D:D:D:D
    Keep them coming... man you are good craic...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Potch has left Spurs

Do we go for him? Big decision for Woodward

Poch sacked by Tottenham, breaking news now on Talksport

Poch gone... Bloody hell. New job at OT tomorrow, please.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Potch has left Spurs

Do we go for him? Big decision for Woodward

We should do, he's proven himself previous to this season and there is zero evidence ole will get the job done.

No chance of it though.

Have to admire spurs taking decisive action and not accepting being rubbish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement