Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

Get it done, Woodie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

We could get Poch for nothing.

Who would have seen that? Utd should move for him of course but I doubt they will.

What an opportunity that has fallen into the clubs lap.

Jose to Tottenham?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Jose to Tottenham?

Possibly. Think that team is well set up for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

adox wrote: »
    We could get Poch for nothing.

Who would have seen that? Utd should move for him of course but I doubt they will.

What an opportunity that has fallen into the clubs lap.

i just can't see a world in which United do anything about it - I don't think United have the courage or inclination to call time on the Ole experiment.

Ole will limp along to the end of the season at least, and Poch will have a new job before then.

THough I could see Poch taking time off til the summer, and seeing what happens at Madrid - Bayern could nab him before then maybe. Not sure what other clubs would be going for him.

i just can't see a world in which United do anything about it - I don't think United have the courage or inclination to call time on the Ole experiment.

Ole will limp along to the end of the season at least, and Poch will have a new job before then.

THough I could see Poch taking time off til the summer, and seeing what happens at Madrid - Bayern could nab him before then maybe. Not sure what other clubs would be going for him.

Yep I don’t expect Utd to move at all.

The dreamer in me hopes this is all a pre arranged process and Utd will announce Oles sacking soon and Poch in but the realist in me knows it won’t happen. The board have proven time and time again over the last seven years that they can’t make decisive or big decisions.

Possibly. Think that team is well set up for him.

New stadium and they need to win something! Guaranteed with Jose despite the type of football he plays!

Yep I don’t expect Utd to move at all.

The dreamer in me hopes this is all a pre arranged process and Utd will announce Oles sacking soon and Poch in but the realist in me knows it won’t happen. The board have proven time and time again over the last seven years that they can’t make decisive or big decisions.

Move Phelan and Ole into DoF/Sporting Director/Recruitment roles - as I think they have a good idea of what United should be, and bring Poch in as manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

despite the type of football he plays!

Which type is that?

The Chelsea type?

Madrid type?

Inter type?

Porto Type?

They were all very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Poch is gone. Apparently it’s official, got text from a spurs friend. See it’s also on sky.

• zorro2566 wrote: »
    New stadium and they need to win something! Guaranteed with Jose despite the type of football he plays!

Winning titles? Exactly what spurs need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The club may split the difference - not move now but get Poch in after one or two losses. But really, this is a golden opportunity. I like your idea of Ole and Phelan taking upstairs roles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

The club may split the difference - not move now but get Poch in after one or two losses. But really, this is a golden opportunity. I like your idea of Ole and Phelan taking upstairs roles too.

Ole for DOF?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Drumpot wrote: »
    Poch is gone. Apparently it’s official, got text from a spurs friend. See it’s also on sky.

Just heard it on the Wales match as well

Utd should be all over this and get Poch in right away but unfortunately this board wont make the right decision....

It's a no brainier for me, id have Poch at utd in a heart beat at this stage and it's infinite better to what we have at the moment unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

[url]

Did not think he’d be a fan of working under Levy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Would be surprised if spurs pay Jose what he wants and commit to giving him the budget he will want. The players seem to have had enough of this playing for cheaper than the market rate stuff I really don’t see how poch will improve United.

Ole stays for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Interesting timing of Poch. There is clearly something rotten behind the scenes. No more than the end of Jose with us, player power has cost him the job.

Would be happy to see him get the United job but unfortunately, I can see us sticking with Ole til the bitter end and this time next year lamenting that we should have gotten Poch when we had the chance.

Would be happy to see him get the United job but unfortunately, I can see us sticking with Ole til the bitter end and this time next year lamenting that we should have gotten Poch when we had the chance.

It will be another end of season with no CL and languishing in the top 6, we sack Ole but Poch has already gotten a new job since and utd find it hard to get that top tier manager

****ing bite the bullet sack Ole and get Poch in. We have a top manager available now, just cut your losses with Ole

• Allegri is still around and I'd say he's in with a shout at Spurs too
    We all know how incompetent the Utd board is so I don' expect anything to happen on our side

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

BDI wrote: »
    Would be surprised if spurs pay Jose what he wants and commit to giving him the budget he will want. The players seem to have had enough of this playing for cheaper than the market rate stuff I really don’t see how poch will improve United.

Ole stays for me.

That would be quite the about face from spurs though. Why tie pochs hands behind his back constantly, and then take that approach rather than actively do it for him.

• Advertisement

Allegri to tottenham, pochetino to milano

Poch could take a break until the summer and wait to see what happens at United, if he is interested in that job! Can’t see United sacking Ole as a result of this news!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

tumblr_m6b19fTOMm1r2nfaho1_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’ve repeatedly said I don’t see the point in sacking Ole as there isn’t a great manager out there available to realistically bring in. Well that just changed, as my number 1 choice for the last 3 years has now become available.

I’m sorry Ole but you have to go now if Poch is up for taking over straight away. Maybe he wants time off to consider his options but we have to bring Poch in next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Poch could take a break until the summer and wait to see what happens at United, if he is interested in that job! Can’t see United sacking Ole as a result of this news!

Realistically Ole should be sacked as a result of the teams league position. Also if I were Poch I wouldn’t wait until Summer as we’ll be a confirmed mid table side by then.

Some cross by Bale for Ramsey’s goal for Wales. Hope they hang on, some achievement for Giggsy if they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Getting Poch in should be a no brainer, but making decent footballing decisions is quite simply not something Ed Woodward and the leaches are interested in making.

Ole is their man. He will quietly go about his job no matter how badly they let him down in the transfer market, and that suits them perfectly.

I can see Poch having a go at Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Some cross by Bale for Ramsey’s goal for Wales. Hope they hang on, some achievement for Giggsy if they do!

I want to see them hang on so we cant get them in the qualifiers tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I like your idea of Ole and Phelan taking upstairs roles too.
    Unless you mean them helping to clean out the attic I see no more reason for them to be a DOF then they had to be the manager.
    Can’t see United sacking Ole as a result of this news!

As noted, it is the results and performances that should be seeing him sacked, not this news. A couple of wins against the likes of Brighton has changed absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If you want to predict what the club will do, just think of something that makes complete sense, and then do the exact opposite.

We’ve been doing it for years, 10 year contract for Ole in the morning and then sack him for Poch next Monday when we roll over for Sheffield United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

[url]

Did not think he’d be a fan of working under Levy.

José would assuming Levy doesn't promise him the Disneyland of football when he'll actually be managing Thorp Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Even as a man with reservations over Poch I would be hard pressed to turn him down if he would be open to it.

Either way, pressure will now begin to increase on Ole. From the fans for the first time properly I think, with someone like Poch to whet the appetite for change.

Ole isn't the only manager who can save United, hell he hasn't shown anything at all to suggest he is one of the managers capable anyway and though I think he has a good idea of where united should be or how they get there I don't think he has the ability to get us there and I don't see how it works moving him upstairs either.

Could be big changes in the near future now whereas before I'd have said no way ole is gone until bear seasons end. The potential to get in a high calibre manager who is proven in the league for no fee may be too much to turn down

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Go Giggsy, Wales getting closer!

while I don't think United would be planning on sacking Ole any time soon, as long as Poch is available...Ole and United are in for a rough ride. any poor result, or especially a couple of bad results in a row will have the vultures circling quick.

Away to Sheff United at the weekend - they've been better than us this season and if United don't come away from there with a win, that pressure will start to ramp immediately.

Ole will be hoping Poch is in a new (not United) job very soon.

while I don't think United would be planning on sacking Ole any time soon, as long as Poch is available...Ole and United are in for a rough ride. any poor result, or especially a couple of bad results in a row will have the vultures circling quick.

Away to Sheff United at the weekend - they've been better than us this season and if United don't come away from there with a win, that pressure will start to ramp immediately.

Ole will be hoping Poch is in a new (not United) job very soon.

I don’t see how or why any result over the next few weeks should matter. Either Poch is the right man (and interested) or he isn’t, it’s been a muck season by any stretch. I don’t see how united would take a wait and see approach to see if Their Hail Mary Ole gamble will work just because there has been a few decent results of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Really don't think Poch is anything special. He improved certain players but given the talent at his disposal he should have done better, CL final aside but that was a crazy tournament last year and there was more than a bit of luck on their side.

I mean he's just another manager who's not taken that next step. Talented man management at times but his tactics have often looked off and wayward. In must win games where they have the better team he rarely came up with the goods which I know sounds silly considering their CL run last year but I believe that was a freak tournament with Ajax knocking out Juve,who knocked out Atletico in bizarre circumstances too.

Ole was hired to get rid of all the bad vibes and personalities in the dressing room. 2 of which were being called babies by an ex Everton fella in the paper this week.

Results were rough the season was always going to be a write off sacking him now that he has done a large portion of that and he is about to go into a transfer window because some fella got sacked for having a team with Kane, son and deli Ali playing relegation form for the past 10 or so months and maybe we should hire him is farcical.

He didn’t have money to spend? What will we do give him loads of money to spend. Who will he buy? Kane, son and deli Ali. Win the league at a canter if we had poch, Kane son and deli Ali. That’s for damn sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Ole was hired to get rid of all the bad vibes and personalities in the dressing room. 2 of which were being called babies by an ex Everton fella in the paper this week.

Results were rough the season was always going to be a write off sacking him now that he has done a large portion of that and he is about to go into a transfer window because some fella got sacked for having a team with Kane, son and deli Ali playing relegation form for the past 10 or so months and maybe we should hire him is farcical.

He didn’t have money to spend? What will we do give him loads of money to spend. Who will he buy? Kane, son and deli Ali. Win the league at a canter if we had poch, Kane son and deli Ali. That’s for damn sure.

Most definitely wouldn't win the league with those 3 never mind at a canter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

So what exactly has Potch won? Manager of the month on 4 occasions......

• Advertisement

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Most definitely wouldn't win the league with those 3 never mind at a canter.

Ye but if he had money to spend on them he might. His problem at spurs was he couldn’t buy anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Ole out,Poch out and the manager after him out too.....maybe i'll be willing to actually let a manager try and build something after that!
    Shouldnt be too hard by then with a squad bought by 7 different managers with different visions!

Drumpot wrote: »
    I don’t see how or why any result over the next few weeks should matter. Either Poch is the right man (and interested) or he isn’t, it’s been a muck season by any stretch. I don’t see how united would take a wait and see approach to see if Their Hail Mary Ole gamble will work just because there has been a few decent results of late.

So you don't think united are in any way a reactionary club that can be led by popular opinion? Like.... when we appointed Ole in the first place?

Poch has never won anything so lets keep Ole who has won a few things in Norway with Molde

So you don't think united are in any way a reactionary club that can be led by popular opinion? Like.... when we appointed Ole in the first place?

That’s why I said results “should not Matter” when it comes to Poch v Ole. I’ve no faith in Woodward, I’ve more faith in many of the posters in this forum doing a better job, just saying it really feels like a no brainer to replace Ole with Poch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Looks like the Bad Man is close to making a come back according to SSN.

Ole looking at calendar “Dec 4th vs Spurs”

*nervous laughter*

• Advertisement

Have to say fair play to Spurs they aren't dithering or delaying over a new manager, bang Jose in advance talks already

I wish utd would be ruthless but with Woodward in charged we are spineless

It be nice to see Ole leaving Carrington tomorrow for good and Poch coming in the following day but i'm confined that utd board and especially Woodward will never do what's good for the club and they'll keep struggling on with Ole until it's to late....

I'm very downhearted with how our club is run and with how Ole is still managing the club :(

Headshot wrote: »
    Have to say fair play to Spurs they aren't dithering or delaying over a new manager, bang Jose in advance talks already

It be nice to see Ole leaving Carrington tomorrow for good and Poch coming in the following day but i'm confined that utd board and especially Woodward will never do what's good for the club and they'll keep struggling on with Ole until it's to late....

I'm very downhearted with how our club is run and with how Ole is still managing the club :(

You say they are doing the right thing in sacking the manager you want to hire and admire how they are going to hire the manager we sacked a year ago? I’m honestly wondering what’s going on here with this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Dozyart wrote: »
    Ole out,Poch out and the manager after him out too.....maybe i'll be willing to actually let a manager try and build something after that!
    Shouldnt be too hard by then with a squad bought by 7 different managers with different visions!

This makes zero sense in the context of the current discussion.

Ole and Poch actually makes sense in terms of transition and “vision”. At Spurs, Poch built a young team (with a decent British core) and had them playing really good football, with good results (even if the end product suffered).

In other words, Poch actually DID what Ole TALKS about. Poch is pretty much the successful version of the vision Ole waxes lyrical about. Every one of those philosophies that United apparently stands for, Poch has had a far, far better success rate in implementation.

At the end of the day, Ole talks a big game, but the on field product has been dire. 16 points in 12 games is awful form, and if he wasn’t a club legend as a player, he’d have been sacked weeks ago (he’d actually never have even been on the shortlist for the job, to be pedantic). Ole shouldn’t still be the United manager, and it’s the usual mid-table mentality from Woodward that he is still there.

If he was sacked tomorrow, and you wanted as smooth a transition in terms of vision and philosophy, you’d be hard pushed to find a better candidate than Poch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Headshot wrote: »

Advanced talks?

I think Spurs would have the deal with the new manager done before sacking Poch.

You say they are doing the right thing in sacking the manager you want to hire and admire how they are going to hire the manager we sacked a year ago? I’m honestly wondering what’s going on here with this thread.

I dont really believe they sacked him as such, it's not a secret that the relationship between Poch and Levy wasnt great and I think things came ahead recently and Poch had to go. He wasnt sacked because of results, just a falling out.

We say alot about Woodward but working under Levy isnt any picnic

Spurs felt they needed a change of manager and acted fast, fair play to them on their decisiveness. I believe it was stupid to sack Poch but Levy had no choice as such. Hiring Jose on the other hand is madness and will end with tears

Poch has done wonders for Spurs. He really has built a superb foundation at spurs who are constantly getting into CL football and even got to the CL final last season. For a club the stature of Spurs to constantly overachieve says so much for Poch

Imagine Poch at utd with the financial muscle behind me, we could really see utd out of the doldrums

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement