Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

He'd be a has-been writing cheques with his mouth his ass can't cash.

Did you watch top gun last night??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

McTominay out.
    Pogba out.
    Matic back but hasn't played in ages.

Our midfield is gonna be an even bigger s-show this weekend.

Garner coming in? Maybe a defender pushed in there, Jones or Lindelof?

Reckon we will go with 532 formation, to beef up the defence behind an even lighter midfield.

How bad do you reckon things would have to get this season for the board to act?

I mean do you think no cups and mid table will be acceptable if they are convinced (somehow) that they purged all the pain out this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »
    How bad do you reckon things would have to get this season for the board to act?

I mean do you think no cups and mid table will be acceptable if they are convinced (somehow) that they purged all the pain out this season?

You mean in terms of sacking Ole? No idea.

Spurs (at home) followed by City away in early December could be a turning point if they go badly, and especially if we haven't recorded wins in the preceding league games (EL is a meh, as we are through).

If you came away with defeats in those PL games, having not got 6 points vs Sheff United and Villa - thats going to be difficult, especially if Poch is still available.

The fact Poch will miss out on large sums of Spurs compensation if he takes a new job soon could become a factor in his own thinking as well though, along with maybe needing some time away after the stint at Spurs.

Ole picked up 5 wins out of 7 in the last run of games between international breaks. I reckon if that didn't happen, if we had have carried on in the relegation form shown since last March, the timing would have been perfect - We'd be posting Poch memes now and trying to come up with a chant for our new manager. As it is though, that improved run has bought Ole more time with Woodward.

It's been reported that Poch's severance pay will be payed in installments from Spurs over the next 6 months, but if Poch signs with a new club the payments stop. If there's a shred of truth in that, and also considering that Poch has been working non-stop for the last 5 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sit the rest of this season out while he considers his next club.

You mean in terms of sacking Ole? No idea.

Spurs (at home) followed by City away in early December could be a turning point if they go badly, and especially if we haven't recorded wins in the preceding league games (EL is a meh, as we are through).

If you came away with defeats in those PL games, having not got 6 points vs Sheff United and Villa - thats going to be difficult, especially if Poch is still available.

The fact Poch will miss out on large sums of Spurs compensation if he takes a new job soon could become a factor in his own thinking as well though, along with maybe needing some time away after the stint at Spurs.

If you are Poch is United really an exciting prospect in any scenario? I mean a fair few people have convinced themselves that Jose, one of the most successful managers of his generation, is finished because of his time at the club, surely Poch is wondering what damage a similar experience might do to his own career. I know hes young but it feels like United is the kind of poisoned chalice thats normally associated with the England job. Its like a career killer for players and managers these days.

But lets say Poch joins another club and by the new years we are languishing mid table, maybe not too far off 6th pointswise what can they do ? Who can they get ? Feels like they have cornered themselves on this "rebuild", "we know what we are doing with transfers now" and that Ole is the right lad to lead the charge. I sort of feel like short of relegation Ole will be kept if Poch isnt available or a target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Article in the athletic said that there was already a previous meeting between United and Poch and they both declared an interest in working together at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Article in the athletic said that there was already a previous meeting between United and Poch and they both declared an interest in working together at some stage.

recent meeting or yonks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

The worry is if things go South with results over the couple of months Poch may already be the Bayern manager. Barca and Real mas also be looking for a new manager by Christmas.

billyhead wrote: »
    The worry is if things go South with results over the couple of months Poch may already be the Bayern manager. Barca and Real mas also be looking for a new manager by Christmas.

utd have been a shambles the last 12 months and i was a very much a detractor of ole, that utd need to sack him. i think drumpot summed up my feelings, when he said he's curious to see how it pans out. I'm beginning to come around to that point of view.

curiosity aside, he is out of his depth. his interview today....'i'm not worried at all about poch, every manager wants this job, its the best in the world', all inane horse****.

i dunno at this stage. on balance prob better to cut your losses and sack him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

recent meeting or yonks ago?
    Didn't say when exactly but possibly in the run up to letting Jose go. The gist of the article was Ed wanted Poch but was put off with the cost / negotiating with Levy, Ole came in as intern manager and impressed him immediately (not just the results), Ed has been won over and in no rush to get Poch in now that he's available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

utd have been a shambles the last 12 months and i was a very much a detractor of ole, that utd need to sack him. i think drumpot summed up my feelings, when he said he's curious to see how it pans out. I'm beginning to come around to that point of view.

curiosity aside, he is out of his depth. his interview today....'i'm not worried at all about poch, every manager wants this job, its the best in the world', all inane horse****.

i dunno at this stage. on balance prob better to cut your losses and sack him

True. I would cut my losses now and see if hes interested in the job and if so would he take over now? Football is a ruthless business but its results orientated and I cant see us been in anyway consistent in getting good results with Ole at the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem is, Ole is on a bit of a run, having won 5 of the last 6 games... not exactly sacking form...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just out of curiosity what do you think would if been the correct answer here?? In the current situation of where ole and The team is at what would of been acceptable thing to say?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Strumms wrote: »
    Problem is, Ole is on a bit of a run, having won 5 of the last 6 games... not exactly sacking form...

By and large, against very low level teams.

Its also something that should be judged on the entirety of his run, or at least the entire season. Not just the last 5 games.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity what do you think would if been the correct answer here?? In the current situation of where ole and The team is at what would of been acceptable thing to say?

first part fair enough, par for the course. but to keep beating the drum about how appealing and successful utd are. not so anymore.

his answers in the main annoy me. never criticises or makes definitive statements - useless platitudes in the main. who was it against where he said great performance, very proud of the boys, after a dismal performance?

first part fair enough, par for the course. but to keep beating the drum about how appealing and successful utd are. not so anymore.

his answers in the main annoy me. never criticises or makes definitive statements - useless platitudes in the main. who was it against where he said great performance, very proud of the boys, after a dismal performance?

Do you think think United wouodnt be desirable club anymore? For example spurs have just got themselfs one of the best managers in the world but haven't won a trophy for over 10 years and have a close to zero net spend in that time?

I think united have lost some of the gloss buy they are still an appealing club because of the fact that whoever can come in and turn things around is literally going to be regarded as a genius.

As for criticising ect with ole we have basically the opposite to what jose was hounded for he does not critique players in public unless he feels he has to.

I think ole has made lots of mistakes but I also feel he is going to be be wrong no matter what he says.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Do you think think United wouodnt be desirable club anymore? For example spurs have just got themselfs one of the best managers in the world but haven't won a trophy for over 10 years and have a close to zero net spend in that time?

I think united have lost some of the gloss buy they are still an appealing club because of the fact that whoever can come in and turn things around is literally going to be regarded as a genius.

As for criticising ect with ole we have basically the opposite to what jose was hounded for he does not critique players in public unless he feels he has to.

I think ole has made lots of mistakes but I also feel he is going to be be wrong no matter what he says.

of course they're desirable, but city and liverpool are on par i think. utd + manchester vs spurs + london...that gap is closing.

jose should still with with utd IMO. terrible mistake.

he doesn't even make a general criticism...we could have been better or whatever. its always we did great.

i want him to show some passion, drive, anger

of course they're desirable, but city and liverpool are on par i think. utd + manchester vs spurs + london...that gap is closing.

jose should still with with utd IMO. terrible mistake.

he doesn't even make a general criticism...we could have been better or whatever. its always we did great.

i want him to show some passion, drive, anger

Well I agree with you on jose I'm firmly in that camp too.

Not all managers shout and roar to show passion im not saying ole is right I think he is feeling massive pressure and in a job hat's clearly too big for him but I also think that he hasn't had any help whatsoever to find his feet.

Yes He shouldn't be finding his feet at a club like united bit that's the route they decided to go down with an inexperienced manager but they haven't made it easy for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sigh...
    I reckon Dortmund will be out for a new manager soon enough, more chances to loose out on Poch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Headshot wrote: »
    sigh...
    I reckon Dortmund will be out for a new manager soon enough, more chances to loose out on Poch :(

On the bright side, they don’t look like making champions league next year at this rate so Sancho might be readily available and he certainly hasn’t been at his best since he came back late from international duty.

Poch would be a great fit for Dortmund but think it would be a slight backwards step for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

On the bright side, they don’t look like making champions league next year at this rate so Sancho might be readily available and he certainly hasn’t been at his best since he came back late from international duty.

Poch would be a great fit for Dortmund but think it would be a slight backwards step for him.

We don't look any better unfortunately and I certainly couldnt see Sancho leaving for a club not in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s only a matter of when with the Ole sacking, it’s a sad sight.

The experiment has gone exactly how anyone with a bit of sense knew it would.

It was a fairytale thinking Ole would be a top level manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Didn't say when exactly but possibly in the run up to letting Jose go. The gist of the article was Ed wanted Poch but was put off with the cost / negotiating with Levy, Ole came in as intern manager and impressed him immediately (not just the results), Ed has been won over and in no rush to get Poch in now that he's available.

And therein lies the biggest problem at the club

Spoofer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Hopefully we can the 3 points tomorrow but I'm guessing 1.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Hopefully we can the 3 points tomorrow but I'm guessing 1.1

Sheffield Utd are in great form and our thread bare midfield is missing players.

I think a defeat is the most likely outcome unfortunately.

• Advertisement

The ‘usual’ good start from Jose!

Spoke too soon! Tighter score line in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Did he actually say that, 2 weeks ago he was singing oles praises

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Why’s he still talking about us? Ole didn’t fancy you, you wanted out and you got what you wanted. Move on ffs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Win tomorrow we go fifth. Mad to think we havnt got lukaku, pogba, Shaw, Jones, Sanchez and we could be just as well off tomorrow as we were when they were in the team and fit.

Christmas is going to be very tough on the squad and it may put a lot of unfair pressure on Ole. If he can get to the transfer window I’d say he could end up at the club for years to come.

I see Arsenal’s boss could be gone soon too. I always said the arsenal fans didn’t appreciate the miracle Arsene was doing all them years.

Poch could have a choice of Everton, Arsenal or West Ham going on today’s results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

BDI wrote: »
    Win tomorrow we go fifth. Mad to think we havnt got lukaku, pogba, Shaw, Jones, Sanchez and we could be just was well off tomorrow as we were when they were in the team and fit.

Christmas is going to be very tough on the squad and it may put a lot of unfair pressure on Ole. If he can get to the transfer window I’d say he could end up at the club for years to come.

I see Arsenal’s boss could be gone soon too. I always said the arsenal fans didn’t appreciate the miracle Adsense was doing all them years.

Getting dizzy even thinking about it...

Win tomorrow we go fifth. Mad to think we havnt got lukaku, pogba, Shaw, Jones, Sanchez and we could be just was well off tomorrow as we were when they were in the team and fit.

Christmas is going to be very tough on the squad and it may put a lot of unfair pressure on Ole. If he can get to the transfer window I’d say he could end up at the club for years to come..

After 12 games last year we had 4 more points then this season. By the time jose was sacked after 17 games we had only 26 points and it was considered an abhoration of a season. So Ole needs our team to win at least 3 of the next 5 league games just to match a tally that led to Jose being sacked. We were in 6th spot when Jose was sacked! I suppose if we keep lowering the bar for Ole eventually it will Begin to feel good.

Drumpot wrote: »
    After 12 games last year we had 4 more points then this season. By the time jose was sacked after 17 games we had only 26 points and it was considered an abhoration of a season. So Ole needs our team to win at least 3 of the next 5 league games just to match a tally that led to Jose being sacked. We were in 6th spot when Jose was sacked! I suppose if we keep lowering the bar for Ole eventually it will Begin to feel good.

I think we will win 4 of our next 5

I think that’s very ambitious but if he can start to get those sort of runs going I will be impressed.

As I said before, I’m very interested to see where this Ole experiment ends up as this season is a write off . Any sort of cup and top 6 league position will prob buy him another season.

Also interested to see if the club helps him out in January, they’ve really f**ked him and the team with such a disjointed ins/out transfer policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Is Matic available tomorrow ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Lose tomorrow
    Beat villa
    Draw with spurs
    Lose to city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

How exactly would it be unfair to the guy who has happily cut the squad to ribbons for that squad to be under pressure due to the fixture list......

When they fail it will bring pressure on him, very very fair pressure. He has gotten away with a lot by a large section because of his status as a club legend but I suspect with Poch now cleanly on the market the pressure will actually begin to build.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

How exactly would it be unfair to the guy who has happily cut the squad to ribbons for that squad to be under pressure due to the fixture list......

When they fail it will bring pressure on him, very very fair pressure. He has gotten away with a lot by a large section because of his status as a club legend but I suspect with Poch now cleanly on the market the pressure will actually begin to build.

Poch will go elsewhere fast. There is plenty of jobs out there or about to be out there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Forget that part of the post so \°/

Ole cannot claim any unfair pressure due to the fixture list over Christmas.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Forget that part of the post so \°/

Ole cannot claim any unfair pressure due to the fixture list over Christmas.

He is clearing the mess he was given. It is a process. He needed all underminers removed. He needs control of that dressing room. It’s going to be a rough year but we have had a pile of managers now bloating the squad with players like Shaw, Rojo, Schneiderlinn, Bailey, Darmian, piles and piles of players that just filled up the place,making the squad look like a mismatched bargain basket where assorted crap would be tossed in at a local shop.

Ole is the real rain that has come down to clean the streets, just like in taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

So come January and if we are lying 10th in the league and about 30 odd points of the top of the league and nearer points wise to the bottom club, will supporters still think Ole is the man for the job ?

I think now that Poch is a free agent, we should be getting him in now, we have a manager who's managerial career is winning a couple of Norwegian Leagues and getting Cardiff relegated........ If any other rival club hired a coach with that record then we would be laughing our heads off at them..........

I suspect the bolded bit was very much one of the primary reasons Ole was picked in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

It’s mad seeing the shift over on r/reddevils to being firmly behind Ole after beating a few smaller teams. It’ll flip back again if Sheffield United beat us tomorrow, and with our midfield, I would expect them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    So come January and if we are lying 10th in the league and about 30 odd points of the top of the league and nearer points wise to the bottom club, will supporters still think Ole is the man for the job ?

I think now that Poch is a free agent, we should be getting him in now, we have a manager who's managerial career is winning a couple of Norwegian Leagues and getting Cardiff relegated........ If any other rival club hired a coach with that record then we would be laughing our heads off at them..........

I don't know man, what happens next season when Poch has United let's say 14th after 12 games? Is he still going to satisfy the impatient United fans that were spoilt for too long to have any faith that these things take time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't know man, what happens next season when Poch has United let's say 14th after 12 games? Is he still going to satisfy the impatient United fans that were spoilt for too long to have any faith that these things take time.

There is more evidence available to suggest that Poch has more in his locker to build something than Ole has. I agree, we cant be a revolving door when it comes to managers but Ole bless his cotton socks has looked completely out of his depth for much of his tenure and a couple of wins against dogshyt teams doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I think if the club had of shown some patients till the end of last season Ole would not of got the job full time.

.....and a couple of wins against dogshyt teams doesn't change that.

source.gif

• Advertisement

There is more evidence available to suggest that Poch has more in his locker to build something than Ole has. I agree, we cant be a revolving door when it comes to managers but Ole bless his cotton socks has looked completely out of his depth for much of his tenure and a couple of wins against dogshyt teams doesn't change that.

He beat Chelsea twice as far as I can recall his results against top teams is quite good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement