Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Everton to take Potch
    Rumour that Silva is gone

No way will he take over at Goodison. I would say it`s either Man U or else Bayern for him next unless he decides to take a break from football altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The great thing about United playing on a Sunday is they can only ruin your day, not your whole weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Would Poch wait around to see if Ole gets the sack?
    There's possibly three huge clubs( Bayern, Real, Barca) who might want him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Smalling with a goal and two assists in a 3-0 win for Roma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Pathetic interview from Ole but sadly no surprise. I said a while back that regardless of how his tenure went it wouldn't sour my opinion of him but fcuk me pink, listening to his mewling, shoulder shrugging interviews week in, week out is making it an awful lot harder to hold that opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

BDI wrote: »
    I’d be happy for Moyes to get back into Everton and get his old job back long term. I don’t know if any of you remember back that far but he was doing a great job with Everton until he took a gamble going to United. And failed where Jose also failed.

Are we all supposed to be 8 years old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Interview starts at 1:13

Cannot find the Sky Sports one but he spouts the same rubbish to MUTV as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

8 months into a 3 year contract, mental stuff.

If he hasn’t been sacked yet I don’t know what more he can do, the next couple of weeks will be carnage but it’ll be some feat to actually get into a relegation battle.

I think they’ll just leave him in until they can get rid at the cheapest price when top 4 is gone, because they must know the season is a write off and changing manager won’t really do anything for us.

The next appointment needs to be more thought out than just sacking Ole and getting Poch in because he’s available, the next manager needs to be well backed over a long period with full faith in their ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

If he hasn’t been sacked yet I don’t know what more he can do, the next couple of weeks will be carnage but it’ll be some feat to actually get into a relegation battle.

I think they’ll just leave him in until they can get rid at the cheapest price when top 4 is gone, because they must know the season is a write off and changing manager won’t really do anything for us.

The next appointment needs to be more thought out than just sacking Ole and getting Poch in because he’s available, the next manager needs to be well backed over a long period with full faith in their ability.

The previous managers were well backed. They just didn’t sign the right players. Crying out for a pair of central midfielders. OGS is out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Ole saying that sometimes football matches are “beyond tactics” and that right now he can’t put his finger on why we were so bad for an hour.

No, Ole, we were ****e for an hour because of the **** tactics you set us up with. We didn’t have a fit 11 who could play 352 yet you fired on ahead with it anyway.

When the manager dosnt know what he is doing or how to fix it then it's time to go........ and I'm an Ole fan. Time to go though.

Even though it was a ****e result, was great to see Williams and Greenwood score. Also James did well for a couple of the goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Any guesses to how many formations Ole has tried? Today's one had me thinking of that night in Paris, we were all over the place. He changed it midway through the first half in that game iirc. Why he left it till half time I don't know.. wasted time, they get a 2 goal head start we some how pull it back and then he throws on a defender for a striker, ughhh!!! Bloody pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Gollum will be sacked tomorrow and they'll get Pochettino in very quickly. They won't want Barca or Bayern sniffing after him

This is where I disagree. I think getting Poch in now would give us a jump start the team needs and might push us for the CL spot. It's a very very tall ask I know but it's not out of the question with a competent manager.

Also getting a new manager in now will give them a season to work under these current crop of players and get a better understanding who needs to go and what positions to fill

Right now the team is stuck in a rut and it's going to get worse and worse before the season is finished :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Smalling with a goal and two assists in a 3-0 win for Roma.

Natural CB/No 10 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Zeek12 wrote: »
    In fairness I'd have taken the point before kick-off. They are a decent side. 5th in the table for good reason.
    Drew at Stamford Bridge. Beat Arsenal. And should have got a draw against Liverpool but for a crazy goalkeeping howler.

Always knew this would be a horrible fixture for us, especially coming straight after the Intl. break.
    With McTom and Pogba missing, that midfield is just woeful.

The reality is we don't have a squad good enough to go to places like Bramall lane and fully expect the 3 points.
    Its depressing to admit.....but there it is.

My problem is though... ‘setting low standards and failing to meet them syndrome’ gets you into a world of trouble... that’s still a team of international footballers playing a team who for the most part are not... we had a lead with the dying embers of the game in full view yet due to carelessness and stupidly we conspired to fûck two points away, against the mighty Sheffield United....I’m not impressed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I think getting Pochettino in is the right move, even just for the new manager bounce that would hopefully result in what is a tricky run of fixtures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think getting Pochettino in is the right move, even just for the new manager bounce that would hopefully result in what is a tricky run of fixtures.

The other side of that is I don't know if any manager would want City and Spurs in their first four matches....

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    “Nah”

There’s no get out. Once the attacking team gains an advantage from the ball touching the arm then that’s the end of it. Or at least it’s meant to be.

No, there is. Specifically in the premier League, leeway can be given for deflections that then hit an arm. It was written into the new rules for this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Headshot wrote: »
    This is where I disagree. I think getting Poch in now would give us a jump start the team needs and might push us for the CL spot. It's a very very tall ask I know but it's not out of the question with a competent manager.

Also getting a new manager in now will give them a season to work under these current crop of players and get a better understanding who needs to go and what positions to fill

Right now the team is stuck in a rut and it's going to get worse and worse before the season is finished :/
    Give Solksjaer credit. He has, at least, produced a team that is motivated and willing to play, made a couple of astute signings in Wan-Bissaka and James as well as integrating a number of talented youngsters. If he is given time to develop the squad further results will improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Interview starts at 1:13

Cannot find the Sky Sports one but he spouts the same rubbish to MUTV as well
    He still had to reference liverpool ! All the shyt falling
    On his tenure and still he's consumed with liverpool

• Advertisement

As a football fan if that goal had been ruled out I think I would have given up.

It hit his shoulder, not his arm, and he did everything he possibly could to keep his arm back from the ball when a natural reaction would have been to try and control the ball.

Helps of course that as a United fan it didn't matter anyway, that performance was rubbish yet again and the result doesn't change the bigger picture one ****ing bit.

He hit the ball with his arm, he lent towards the ball with his body and his arm made contact with the ball, arm to ball...

We look better and more cohesive in attack but still not as attacking and efficient in possession, conceding 3 goals though against Sheffield United hmmmm...

We will need almost title winning form for the rest of the season just to break 70 points which may not be good enough for top 4.

The league is over, dead and buried.

There’s no doubt about that for me.

I’m struggling to find a replay but this guys twitter shows a still, it’s close but definitely part of the ball is in contact with his shoulder and part his arm, handball 100%

https://mobile.twitter.com/stuartmillichip/status/1198694174494797824/photo/1

You could bring Brian Clough back and give him a 500 million budget in January and we still wouldn’t hit 70 points.

We may not even break 55 points this season, this year will be our lowest points total since 1989, I’m calling it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

That’s a very young side. Time and patience and a couple of shrewd accusations are what’s required. It’d be foolish to sack solskaer so soon. He deserves time to develop this team.

If that's given against a united players, there's bloody murder being screamed. If that's a against Liverpool, everyone here is saying it's a goal.

He's pulling arm back, its bounced up. There's absolutely no way you can unequivocally say, that's 100% a handball.

It's just taking away from the fact the team were absolute p!ss again and gives them another excuse to hind behind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

we have won 4 league games this season, under mourinho, van gaal and moyes we had won more games at this stage in their reign, should the aim of the game be to improve ? why is he still in charge ? his record is the worse of all the managers since Fergie called it a day.... he is a chancer and the gimps are using his legend status to butter up the fans...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Thought it his his shoulder myself, I'd be absolutely fuming if we had a goal disallowed in that scenario

Trigger wrote: »
    Thought it his his shoulder myself, I'd be absolutely fuming if we had a goal disallowed in that scenario

It was one of those decisions that was going to be rough whichever way it went.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    If that's given against a united players, there's bloody murder being screamed. If that's a against Liverpool, everyone here is saying it's a goal.

He's pulling arm back, its bounced up. There's absolutely no way you can unequivocally say, that's 100% a handball.

It's just taking away from the fact the team were absolute p!ss again and gives them another excuse to hind behind

We can go the other way and excuse every single shít decision... “turns out we were shîte again”... I still want fair and correct decisions, that wasn’t one, he leaned into the ball with his arm.

Strumms wrote: »
    We can go the other way and excuse every single shít decision... “turns out we were shîte again”... I still want fair and correct decisions, that wasn’t one, he leaned into the ball with his arm.

He's pulling his arm away. He's nearly contorting it away while trying to push his chest forward.

And it's not a Shi!t decisions. The replay isn't conclusive, only the most tinted biased folk can say it is.

We were dire. Didn't deserve 3 points, barely deserved 1 and here we are blaming a ref who in my opinion got it spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

he leaned into the ball with his arm.

No, he didn't. It wasn't a handball and should never have been called as a handball.

What it is is yet another example of how redundant VAR actually is, a complete white elephant with regard to its aims.

He's pulling his arm away. He's nearly contorting it away while trying to push his chest forward.

And it's not a Shi!t decisions. The replay isn't conclusive, only the most tinted biased folk can say it is.

We were dire. Didn't deserve 3 points, barely deserved 1 and here we are blaming a ref who in my opinion got it spot on.

His body is going towards the ball, his arm while by his side is going in the direction of the ball to make contact with it... the replay would concur with the link posted. He hits the ball with his bicep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

LVG and Jose both failed. LVG and Jose are both proven winners and have won everywhere else they have been.

Maybe the problem isnt the manager.

I hear people go on about Poch... Barca, PSG, Madrid and Munich are all sniffing about it seems ? Why would he chose United over any of the rest ?

Personally I think give Ole to the end if the season, he is building a squad of young players and with a bit of experience bought in January it could drive them on.....

If that fails I'd like to see Southgate get it. He plays an attractive brand of attacking football with a young English team and more importantly he seems to get the best from Rashford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Great comeback but sickened by that equaliser which was a handball. Our defence needs a major shake up along with other things. Under Fergie, we would have won that game:(

• Advertisement

piplip87 wrote: »
    Maybe the problem isnt the manager.

You say because the Michelin Star chefs failed with the ingredients, and now a child is failing, maybe we should make do with the last cook we've landed with.

There's plenty of problems with the squad, but the manager is ALSO a problem, and is the easiest to deal with.
    I hear people go on about Poch... Barca, PSG, Madrid and Munich are all sniffing about it seems ? Why would he chose United over any of the rest ?

More money (both personally and to spend on transfers), doesn't have to leave the country. If he fails, he can blame the club that keeps struggling and still get a "bigger" job. Will have way more leeway with us too (given how slow we are to sack underpreforming managers).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If Ole asked himself a question about what this game needed and the answer was Phil Jones then he deserves the boot.

Jones a few years back had great potential, over time performed well but he is now the poster boy for how players can drift along at United and get away with it.

He has to have more imagination than picking Jones.

Obviously far more was wrong than Jones but his selection is a great indication of how badly the team was thought out even though the manager had two weeks to get ready for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

ah guys come on the feck, its never a handball.

Look, he hits the ball with his arm, controls it with his arm, his arm and body go towards the ball.... it’s handball... it’s not ball to arm, it’s arm to ball..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Look, he hits the ball with his arm, controls it with his arm, his arm and body go towards the ball.... it’s handball... it’s not ball to arm, it’s arm to ball..

Nope, he moved his arm away from the ball in that movement.

Never a handball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Look, he hits the ball with his arm

No, he does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

DM_7 wrote: »
    If Ole asked himself a question about what this game needed and the answer was Phil Jones then he deserves the boot.

Jones a few years back had great potential, over time performed well but he is now the poster boy for how players can drift along at United and get away with it.

Obvioisly far more was wrong than Jones but his selection is a great indication of how badly the team was thought out even though the manager had two weeks to get ready for the game.

Ole was obviously worried about how light that midfield was. And fair enough because it was ****. He obviously decided to bolster the centre of the pitch with an extra CB and I kind of get the logic. But Jones should not play for this club again unless there are no other options at all.

Still think that this team with McT and Pogba in the midfield with Fred is capable of going on a run. Sadly, I don't think we will see much of Pogba this season and even then, I don't trust us to stay injury free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

DM_7 wrote: »

Obviously far more was wrong than Jones but his selection is a great indication of how badly the team was thought out even though the manager had two weeks to get ready for the game.

Jones has always needed a run of games to get form, normally when he get form, he gets crocked. Even when he is in form, playing to the left of a back 3 is not his game. That position needs a player with pace, and/or technique and positioning. He would have been better off putting Wan-Bissaka to the right of the back 3 and shifting Lindelof to the other side - assuming Tuanzebe wasn't fit to start.

Ole is doing a lot of things right within the club, but on match day he is out of his depth. We still need another 5 or 6 to be shipped out, and replaced with lads that wanna play for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

No, there is. Specifically in the premier League, leeway can be given for deflections that then hit an arm. It was written into the new rules for this season.

I honestly don't think so.

As the rule is currently written, if any kind of handball leads to a goal, that goal is disallowed. Intention, movement etc. don't even come into it like they do in other parts of the pitch. It's the fact that a goal was gained from it which is key and what holds it to a higher standard.

I'm not saying I agree with it btw, it's just how the rule currently stands and another mistake from the officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Tuanzebe the next great hope on the bench today we playing three at the back. Jones selection is bizarre based on the season so far and Oles talk in interviews. Mind you, Oles talk in interviews has been utter bollocks and cringey for a while now! Loved him as a player, genuinely getting close to hate him as a manager, I hope he goes soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

thomasj wrote: »

Woodward: "You bought him! You said he could be Man United's greatest ever player!"

Fergie: "Shít...."

Jones has always needed a run of games to get form,

I think at the level we aspire to be at we can’t afford players like this. We need him ? He MUST be able to put on the shirt and put in reliable performances...from the get go... nowhere in the corporate or sporting world could anyone say to a boss.. “look, I’ll be a bit all over the place for a couple of weeks till I get back into rhythm, it will cost you income and whatever but long term I’ll be grand”... long term he won’t be grand either... he hasn’t been for a long time... his excusers seem to have a Medical issue... ‘the Jones horn’ that despite inconsistencies continuing, despite poor decision making, despite rashness and rushes of blood to the head, despite him costing us points consistently , nahhh he’ll come good.... he really won’t. The new Duncan Goodh... sorry Edwards! Right....

J. Marston wrote: »
    Woodward: "You bought him! You said he could be Man United's greatest ever player!"

Fergie: "Sh..."

I'm hoping it's the beginning of the end for Ole and I suspect Ferguson is trying to defend Ole and Woodward wants him gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement