Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There may be plans to eventually modernise Old Trafford according to The Telegraph.....well it's going to be looked into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

As a pundit have a lot of respect for carragher

The guy knows his football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

There may be plans to eventually modernise Old Trafford according to The Telegraph.....well it's going to be looked into.

Should be funny seeing ed throwing the info out

A new world class stadium to sell the naming rights to for a mid table team

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

All the quotes come from an interview Woodward did with United We Stand. Andy Mitten had an article up yesterday.

No new ground or expansion of OT is on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Old spice trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

As a pundit have a lot of respect for carragher

The guy knows his football

He doesn't always come across the brightest but is apparently obsessed with all things football related and has maintained a library of stuff from a young age. Comes across as totally OCD. Always think pundits have a shelf live. They typically start out strong but you lose respect for them the longer they are at it. I used to think Andy Gray was marvelous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ed is waiting for the Saudi's

They can get a stadium built in two months

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1199276031481434112?s=19

Will United get fined for fielding a weak team or are those days gone?

Waits for someome to point out the team is weak every game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Jesus, from that first tweet for a second I thought Ole had decided he wasn’t arsed going to Kazakhstan. Thought the club had finally reached rock bottom.

All the quotes come from an interview Woodward did with United We Stand. Andy Mitten had an article up yesterday.

No new ground or expansion of OT is on the cards.

I think it's just fixing up the stadium,the roof and other stuff needs work.

A lick of paint and a little bit of lip service. No way they plunge a huge amount of capital into developing the stadium, but if they did it would be a sure sign they've no intention to sell up anytime soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Our young team will probably be more fun to watch tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Our young team will probably be more fun to watch tbh.

Make or break game for Chong and Gomes if the play..... Both were rumored to be leaving at end of contracts. Not sure if they have signed since them rumors.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    A lick of paint and a little bit of lip service. No way they plunge a huge amount of capital into developing the stadium, but if they did it would be a sure sign they've no intention to sell up anytime soon.

There'll be feasibility studies done and that can will be kicked down the road, general maintenance doesn't bring in the dollars for the Glazers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Make or break game for Chong and Gomes if the play..... Both were rumored to be leaving at end of contracts. Not sure if they have signed since them rumors.

Chong has shown nothing to indicate he is ready for first team football at United. He would need to show something pretty soon if he was to warrant a new contract.

Gomes, Garner have shown glimpses at various points - with limited chances. Greenwood & Williams have both done incredibly well.

I'm all for youth and bringing through young players, but I'm worried (among the 500 other concerns that people would have), that we seem to be thinking every player that comes through the academy and has any game time with the first team is good enough to warrant a fairly regular starting spot - eg: Andreas Periera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Also looking into updating Carrington and The Cliff. Probably a round about way of saying they'll throw up another shed at Carrington and sell The Cliff off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

v3ttel wrote: »
    I'm all for youth and bringing through young players, but I'm worried (among the 500 other concerns that people would have), that we seem to be thinking every player that comes through the academy and has any game time with the first team is good enough to warrant a fairly regular starting spot - eg: Andreas Periera

Its a serious problem as far as I am concerned.

These happy clappy ideas about bringing through the "kids" relies upon ignoring the simple fact that 90% of these kids fail to make the grade, and that putting your faith in them will do nothing but leave you with a squad that isn't good enough.

Macheda, Wellbeck, Januzaj, Cleverley, Borthwick Jackson, McNair, Fosu-Mensah, Ravel Morrison, there is a list a mile long of the next big thing at United who ultimately failed to make the grade. Same as at any club. Yet here we have a manager who sold Woodward a pup about building a team around the latest batch of maybes.

Its horribly frustrating, because here we are dropping into the bottom half of the table because most of those kids were neither ready nor able. And who could have seen that coming, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

kippy wrote: »
    Ultimately what is wrong with relegation, if as you think that's a possible outcome. Aren't fans here complaining about the owners, directors etc etc, one way of resetting.

Van Gaal and Mourinho had a a tonne of past experience/nous and whatever BS you want to assign them, yet where did that all end?

As for players signing for United,how many big name turkeys have signed for crazy money and crazy wages over the past 7 years.

Christ ye need to listen to yerselves for a while in here.

https://twitter.com/utdexcellence/status/1199073570812551170?s=21

Its a serious problem as far as I am concerned.

These happy clappy ideas about bringing through the "kids" relies upon ignoring the simple fact that 90% of these kids fail to make the grade, and that putting your faith in them will do nothing but leave you with a squad that isn't good enough.

Macheda, Wellbeck, Januzaj, Cleverley, Borthwick Jackson, McNair, Fosu-Mensah, Ravel Morrison, there is a list a mile long of the next big thing at United who ultimately failed to make the grade. Same as at any club. Yet here we have a manager who sold Woodward a pup about building a team around the latest batch of maybes.

Its horribly frustrating, because here we are dropping into the bottom half of the table because most of those kids were neither ready nor able. And who could have seen that coming, right?

I agree with what you're saying except for the part I've highlighted. You're giving Ole a little too much credit there imo. He's very much a useful idiot as far as EW is concerned, peddling the auld youth players & The United Way mantra without questioning it while Ed gets to concentrate on making money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Cup games give an improvement to that, at the same time some of the worse performances have come in the cup games.

The manager ain't right for United
    Players aren't right for United
    The executive vice-chairman is not right for United
    The owners are not right for United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

At this stage I’m resigned to the headless chicken approach to United so I’m interested to see where this Ole “sh*t at a wall” approach ends up. I’m also interested to see how bad things can get before anything is done and what “anything being done” looks like.

What’s also interesting is that some might harbour a hope that when Pogba returns things will improve. That might be the case but he’s indicated that he’s gone in the next 18 months , so how can he be not part of the “deadwood” that doesn’t want to be at the club? He is a problem because a player that wants out will disrupt the squad harmony and that seems to be the Straw that some are clutching to with regards to Ole’s supposed management competency.

You really can’t predict how far down standards will go when it comes to united, they really do excel at bullsh*t and they’ve groomed fans fantastically. Woodward knew exactly what he was doing by hiring Ole when 40% of the fanbase have lapped up the strategy when all common sense and rational assessment would point to it being a terrible idea. Logic points to it being a desperate shot in the dark, maybe that’s why Woodward keeps his job cause it’s a nice cost cutting cost effective rebuild and an ambiguous long term strategy.

I can get on board with a manager who can fall back on his CV or there is some sort of evidence to suggest they have what it takes to help navigate United back to the top. But I can’t convince myself that Ole is that person without telling myself a lie and/or converting to the “he’s a legend” defence that’s got no rational substance to provide any comfort. If Ole somehow works out it’s a miracle because everything points to him being another bad decision by the same peoples who have been making awful decisions that have cost us dearly for the last 7 seasons.

I mean Think about it, Ole was hired as an interim coach while the club sorted itself out. Nobody thought he had a chance for the job full time and it was only a remarkable run of wins that convinced the club that he deserved a shot. Who did he convince? What footballing person at the club was in a position to determine that a manager who would never of gotten such a high profile job, was gonna my to be able to be part of a new era of how The club is run? Was Ole given The job mostly based off that run that is now clearing a manager bounce that most managers get at most clubs?! There’s a strong chance this was a huge factor in him getting the job and now we know it was a blip, what does that say for how the club acts when it gets things wrong? Just Double on a bad decision and hope it works out seems to be the solution.

Who in the club had the footballing knowledge to make a call that such an unproven manager has the potential to take on such a monumental job? So Woodward and the glazers can now scout managers with untapped potential? That’s what 40% of the United fanbase have convinced themselves. The club proved last summer that top 4 and champions league qualification is the level of their ambition. Ole is a statement that if the owners don’t have the competency to do this, a cheaper approach can compensate for not achieving these goals. Ole represents this approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Squad for Astana game.

Lee Grant, Matej Kovar, Max Taylor, Luke Shaw, Axel Tuanzebe, Dylan Levitt, Teden Mengi, DiShon Bernard, Largie Ramazani, Ethan Laird, Ethan Galbraith, Arnau Puigmal, D'Mani Bughail-Mellor, James Garner, Jesse Lingard, Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood.

Nice to see a youngster like Lingard get a chance. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Squad for Astana game.

Lee Grant, Matej Kovar, Max Taylor, Luke Shaw, Axel Tuanzebe, Dylan Levitt, Teden Mengi, DiShon Bernard, Largie Ramazani, Ethan Laird, Ethan Galbraith, Arnau Puigmal, D'Mani Bughail-Mellor, James Garner, Jesse Lingard, Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Mason Greenwood.

Nice to see a youngster like Lingard get a chance. :P

Must be the first time ever we have sent such a young team to play a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not really a fan of that squad. Too young.

I prefer to see a mixture of youth and experience as I think it is fairer to the younger players. What you want to see is how Gomes interacts with Rashford or Martial in the first team, not how he links with Chong. How Garner would do beside Fred, not Galbraith. We will learn little from this game than we would watching an U23 or U18 game.

Not really a fan of that squad. Too young.

I prefer to see a mixture of youth and experience as I think it is fairer to the younger players. What you want to see is how Gomes interacts with Rashford or Martial in the first team, not how he links with Chong. How Garner would do beside Fred, not Galbraith. We will learn little from this game than we would watching an U23 or U18 game.

While I agree in theory, the fact is it's not a game we need to win, and given the pressure Ole is under, i can understand giving the "important" players a rest.

And we really don't have anything between those "important" players and the kids, that you'd fill that experience gap with so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

While I agree in theory, the fact is it's not a game we need to win, and given the pressure Ole is under, i can understand giving the "important" players a rest.

And we really don't have anything between those "important" players and the kids, that you'd fill that experience gap with so....

Jones (I know), Young, Mata, Rojo and Romero are all players I think are fit who haven't had much game time, waste not bringing them because none of them will start the next match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The fact it's halfway across eurasia is reason enough to send a squad with such a young age profile. I'm sure a more balanced squad would have been picked if we were off to Scotland. Surprised Lingard is going tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Jones (I know), Young, Mata, Rojo and Romero are all players I think are fit who haven't had much game time, waste not bringing them because none of them will start the next match
    Rojo is injured, he was supposed to be playing in Jones' spot in the back 3 all along until he managed to injure himself.

• Advertisement

Paul Hirt, The Telegraph.

Manchester United are expected to launch their bid to sign Erling Haaland when the transfer window reopens in January.

They have been tracking the 19-year-old for some time. United’s scouts have returned to the club’s hierarchy with favourable reports about the Norway striker, who has scored 22 goals in 16 appearances for RB Salzburg this season. While United tend not to bid for players in January it seems they are willing to make an exception for Haaland, who is the son of the former Manchester City player Alf-Inge Haaland. United had intended to bid for Haaland in the summer but it is understood that they will try to tempt the Austrian club into selling the forward in January instead.

Any deal could cost in excess of £60 million. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the United manager, is also keen on James Maddison although it is highly unlikely that he will bid for the midfielder in January as Leicester City are unwilling to sell him. Jadon Sancho, the Borussia Dortmund winger, is another long-term target who could be pursued in the summer, although he is tempted by a move to Spain. Real Madrid and Barcelona are understood to be interested in signing Sancho, 19, who left Manchester City for Dortmund in 2017.

There seems to be chatter he has a €30m release clause in the summer, but that we'd pay more in Jan in a bid to get him secured.

Just saw that is the age of United's oldest goalscorer this season.

That is mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Paul Hirt, The Telegraph.

Manchester United are expected to launch their bid to sign Erling Haaland when the transfer window reopens in January.

They have been tracking the 19-year-old for some time. United’s scouts have returned to the club’s hierarchy with favourable reports about the Norway striker, who has scored 22 goals in 16 appearances for RB Salzburg this season. While United tend not to bid for players in January it seems they are willing to make an exception for Haaland, who is the son of the former Manchester City player Alf-Inge Haaland. United had intended to bid for Haaland in the summer but it is understood that they will try to tempt the Austrian club into selling the forward in January instead.

Any deal could cost in excess of £60 million. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the United manager, is also keen on James Maddison although it is highly unlikely that he will bid for the midfielder in January as Leicester City are unwilling to sell him. Jadon Sancho, the Borussia Dortmund winger, is another long-term target who could be pursued in the summer, although he is tempted by a move to Spain. Real Madrid and Barcelona are understood to be interested in signing Sancho, 19, who left Manchester City for Dortmund in 2017.

There seems to be chatter he has a €30m release clause in the summer, but that we'd pay more in Jan in a bid to get him secured.

i hope if they're serious they will open up negotiations before the window opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What I've seen of Haaland he looks like a great prospect.Lot of money for a teenager but it's worked out well before.

A midfielder is what is needed the most,the current options are nowhere near good enough

I'd love to see Ndidi signed,not likely but hes been one of the best midfielders in the league this season.Been brilliant for Leicester .1

i hope if they're serious they will open up negotiations before the window opens.

Ornstein said he’d heard rumors that he’d already visited United facilities (and Arsenal ones),so I’d say there is some discussions.

Edit. Can’t rmember if it was he visited, his father did or both. But there has been some links.

So we are just gonna keep loading up on kids. Well at least we should have a squad with a decent resale value....

I’d be curious to know what is the youngest average age squad ever to win a league or champions league. I like the idea of a youth strategy but United have taken a rip the bandaid approach to squad management that no top club that I can think of ever does.... United leading the way in alternative squad building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

I don't think he'll sign but if Haaland did, would that mean the end of Martial then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Drumpot wrote: »
    So we are just gonna keep loading up on kids. Well at least we should have a squad with a decent resale value....

I’d be curious to know what is the youngest average age squad ever to win a league or champions league. I like the idea of a youth strategy but United have taken a rip the bandaid approach to squad management that no top club that I can think of ever does.... United leading the way in alternative squad building.

What was the average age of the utd team who shouldn't have won anything with kids?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

xtal191 wrote: »
    I don't think he'll sign but if Haaland did, would that mean the end of Martial then?

Martial to go the opposite way, light up the Swiss league and when rumors start up about Everton buying him, people here lose their sheeeiiit.

Chelsea currently hold the record for having the youngest squad ever to win the Premier league. They became Champions in 2005 with an average squad age of 25 years and 312 days under Jose Mourinho. (https://metro.co.uk/2016/05/28/chelsea-200405-under-jose-mourinho-were-youngest-average-premier-league-winners-5910733/) in 2016 article written but pretty sure hasn't been beaten since.

CSKA Moscow apparently the youngest to win a European Competition, the UEFA Cup in 2005 with average age 23 years 139 days (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4539188/Ajax-youngest-team-feature-major-European-final.html) Daily Fail I know

Can't find anything more online re English League or elsewhere.

Peatys wrote: »
    What was the average age of the utd team who shouldn't have won anything with kids?

I’d say the average age of that squad was at least mid 20s. The headline was you can’t win anything with kids, but it was packed with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I’d say the average age of that squad was at least mid 20s. The headline was you can’t win anything with kids, but it was packed with experience.

Shows my age, i look back at that team as babies.

Peatys wrote: »
    Shows my age, i look back at that team as babies.

I think it’s cause Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes were replaced with youth if I rememeber correctly?! (I’m sure Mitch will correct me if I’m misplaced). But that Squad Was riddled with the right kind of experience and culture to help the younger players... Was a young squad in fairness.

Bruno Fernandes has signed a new contract with Sporting.

Wonder if its he wants to stay or he wanted a more definitive release clause put into his contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

xtal191 wrote: »

No, it just means he'll have competition.

I hate that @MikeLUHG_ fella more than any other United twitter account. Unrelenting negitive spin on absolutely everything. A horribly toxic account.

I think it’s cause Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes were replaced with youth if I rememeber correctly?! (I’m sure Mitch will correct me if I’m misplaced). But that Squad Was riddled with the right kind of experience and culture to help the younger players... Was a young squad in fairness.

Not this time.

Schmeichel, Bruce, Pallister, Irwin, Ince, McClair, Cantona all key players of that squad. Keane had a few years in him, Cole too. Giggs was still you be had a good bit of experience at that stage.

While there was an obvious injection of youth in Neville, Butt, Scholes and Beckham - they were backed up by experience and proper leaders and battlers.

Its why I rail against the youth only approach that either United are going for or people think they are - it CAN'T be youth only. We need to supliment the youth players with experienced guys around them.

The idea, I think, is that a squad should effectively have 3 (or so) age groups.
    Young players.
    Players in their prime.
    Experienced older leaders.

As the older players cycle out you replace with young players, with the current groups (in general terms) moving up a level each cycle. Jones and Smalling, for example, would have been players that United had expected or hoped would be the players in their prime, allowing someone like Tuanzebe to be the young player in the group below them.

In midfield you could look at McTominay - No One - Matic, as an example of the problem in the squad. I would suppose Fred is supposed to be the middle player?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Ornstein said he’d heard rumors that he’d already visited United facilities (and Arsenal ones),so I’d say there is some discussions.

Edit. Can’t rmember if it was he visited, his father did or both. But there has been some links.

Was Smough able to back these rumours up?

So apparently Jose wants one of the hottest properties in football as DOF at Spurs. Campo from Lille who has done an amazing job in unearthing talent which so far has gone on to be sold for half a billion.
    The kick in the nuts is that Jose wanted him at United but Woodward wouldn't even interview the guy, another incompetent footballing decision by the man.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement