Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical exam question

• 06-10-2019 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'll be applying to the Garda on their next recruitment but before I do so I have one unanswered question about the medical exam: how strict are they on the eyesight?

My eyesight is poor to say the least. I wear glasses all the time but I can wear contacts if needed. I can't see without my glasses on, but with them on I can see perfectly. Is that my chance at the Gardai blown?

My eyesight is poor, but my hearing and physical condition is excellent. I boxed for 12 years with my poor eyesight and never had much of a problem with it, although the doctor says she should have failed me for my boxing permit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

You may have to consider laser surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 User 1234

ShaneMG123 wrote: »
    I'll be applying to the Garda on their next recruitment but before I do so I have one unanswered question about the medical exam: how strict are they on the eyesight?

My eyesight is poor to say the least. I wear glasses all the time but I can wear contacts if needed. I can't see without my glasses on, but with them on I can see perfectly. Is that my chance at the Gardai blown?

My eyesight is poor, but my hearing and physical condition is excellent. I boxed for 12 years with my poor eyesight and never had much of a problem with it, although the doctor says she should have failed me for my boxing permit.

You'll more than likely have to get laser treatment on your eyes. I think they look for you to do the eye test without glasses and contacts from what I can remember. You'll have to just double check, it's a few years since I done my medical. I know one lad got laser for it. You'll have well over a year before that comes around anyways incase you need to save for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Goldk12

ShaneMG123

You will more than likely need to get laser eye done, I done my medical in June this year and failed the eyesight test on one eye only. The requirement is 6/9 and 6/12 unaided by glasses. They gave me 6 months to get my eyes lasered and I can honestly tell you its the best money I have ever spent. It is costly but if you start saving now it will all be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Larpeyton

Goldk12 wrote: »
    ShaneMG123

You will more than likely need to get laser eye done, I done my medical in June this year and failed the eyesight test on one eye only. The requirement is 6/9 and 6/12 unaided by glasses. They gave me 6 months to get my eyes lasered and I can honestly tell you its the best money I have ever spent. It is costly but if you start saving now it will all be worth it in the end.

So you got laser eye surgery done after your medical? I’m just asking this because I heard you had to have it done 6 weeks before PCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Goldk12 wrote: »
    ShaneMG123

was it expensive? i see optilase offer finance, its the route im going to have to go down unfortunatly,

• Advertisement
Advertisement