Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to America

Options
  • 06-10-2019 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey I’m just wondering how I go about getting a visa to move to America I have no college degree and have been working in a supermarket for the last 3 years. I am 19 years old and am wondering how I go about getting a visa etc. No immediate family in America

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Jamie13 wrote: »
    no college degree
    working in a supermarket
    No immediate family in America

Visa lottery is your only chance.

But you also need thousands of euro for the application process if you won the lottery.

Not being funny, but would you want to work in a supermarket in America? Way worse than Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

How do you plan to support yourself over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Jamie13 wrote: »
    Hey I’m just wondering how I go about getting a visa to move to America I have no college degree and have been working in a supermarket for the last 3 years. I am 19 years old and am wondering how I go about getting a visa etc. No immediate family in America

Sorry to agree with the rest of the posters but you don't stand a chance. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Low post count makes me suspicious.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Low post count makes me suspicious.

More than likely a troll, but still educational read to the other 19yo supermarket dreamers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

Honestly, It is very difficult. Visa Lottery is the only option. You will not qualify for a person of exceptional ability. You don't work for a company that can transfer you.

Unless, you have a close relative who can sponsor you, that is the only other option or get married to an American (which also does not make things easier)

For most Visa's you will require a degree.

Getting into the States is not easy anymore. That is not Trumps fault, it is successive governments tightening immigration laws. To follow Immigration laws legally is also extremely expensive.

There is the other option, hop the wall in Mexico and claim Asylum :)

NSAman wrote: »
    There is the other option, hop the wall in Mexico and claim Asylum :)

Do you know how many Americans I meet that can't believe that an Irish person with education blah blah can't get in to America to work? They are gob smacked. I've had one tell me he will "sneak you in and you can work his yard, better you than some Mexican"

Another guy said he would sign me (jokingly or not) as a partner of his company on paper so I can get a visa.

It must be getting squashed in the government but the majority of people I chat to have no idea we can't get visas and wouldn't have a problem ("anybody but Mexican's" basically is their motto)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jme2010 wrote: »
    More than likely a troll, but still educational read to the other 19yo supermarket dreamers.

Bit harsh thinking the OP is a troll.

Maybe someone who created an account to ask a fairly simple question about ones chances of getting work in the US

Not every one is as up to speed on H1-Bs, L1s, DV lottery etc as regular posters here.

Bit harsh thinking the OP is a troll.

Not too harsh seeming as he hit the trifecta right out of the gate with the no-skill/no family/no education.

Why would they even mention family link if they had no clue.

Just with the recent trolling from "elite-world-raider" it drew a flag from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There was a long thread on this same topic last year. The ?trainee chef who insisted that the US was the only place in the world worth going to. Will see if I can find it, there was some decent advice amongst the contrariness ...

Edit: I remember now - it was two threads started by the same member: first enquiry in Jan 18 ; second enquiry in Apr 18. Hasn't been seen for more than a year, so maybe it worked out for him after all ...

And another one for good measure (different poster with slightly better prospects)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

jme2010 wrote: »
    Visa lottery is your only chance.

But you also need thousands of euro for the application process if you won the lottery.

Not being funny, but would you want to work in a supermarket in America? Way worse than Tesco.

Not true, supermarkets in the USA like Publix pay very well when you get into a management role. Store Managers can earn over $150k a year and even a deli manager or grocery manager make $65k+ a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Palmy wrote: »
    Not true, supermarkets in the USA like Publix pay very well when you get into a management role. Store Managers can earn over $150k a year and even a deli manager or grocery manager make $65k+ a year.

Fair enough, but he's still not going to get a visa.

You've just made it harder/more frustrating now for him mentally. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jamie13

Thanks for your replies, I’m in college but I’m only going to get a higher certification in legal studies and I don’t think that counts as a degree.
    Sorry for being such a troll 🀣🀣

Why fixate on America, if you've got no family there? You have 26 countries on your doorstep to which you can move tomorrow and look for/get a job, no visa required, and enjoy just about everything the US has to offer without the extortionate cost of health insurance. :cool:

Why fixate on America, if you've got no family there? You have 26 countries on your doorstep to which you can move tomorrow and look for/get a job, no visa required, and enjoy just about everything the US has to offer without the extortionate cost of health insurance. :cool:

errr Wrong... sorry to be a downer..unlike Ireland the opportunities here are far more readily available. Jobs are plentiful and anywhere you look are employee wanted signs. There is an absolute lack of workers in the USA. Sign on bonuses are the order of the day for most employers currently.

Most decent jobs offer health insurance and dental and pension after a small period.... Its an employees market at the moment.

The only issue is getting a visa.

While I love Ireland, I personally find it is difficult to get ahead in most jobs and climbing the ladder takes a huge amount of time. Here in the US, if you are smart, work hard and are able to show you can adapt to anything thrown at you, you WILL succeed.

errr Wrong... sorry to be a downer..unlike Ireland the opportunities here are far more readily available....

While I love Ireland ....

Yeah ... you seem to have missed the point that I referred to 26 other countries: so Ireland wasn't included in that! :P (Not the UK either, seeing as no-one knows what might happen there ... but they do also have an absolute lack of workers at the moment).
    Here in the US, if you are smart, work hard and are able to show you can adapt to anything thrown at you, you WILL succeed.
    Here in the EU, if you are smart and work hard, you will succeed too, while also having at least 4 weeks' p.a. guaranteed paid holiday leave, maternity/paternity leave, sickness benefit, unemployment benefit and the chance to send your children to university without bankrupting yourself or saddling them with a lifetime debt ...

For someone such as the OP, he could move to Italy next month, set up a business and have a guaranteed income for the next three years (plus all of the above) if he was so inclined. That visa hurdle is enormous, and there's (probably) nothing that the US offers that can't be achieved closer to home without the administrative hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How hard is it fir Americans to get in here? They don’t seem in short supply!

Yeah ... you seem to have missed the point that I referred to 26 other countries: so Ireland wasn't included in that! :P (Not the UK either, seeing as no-one knows what might happen there ... but they do also have an absolute lack of workers at the moment).

Here in the EU, if you are smart and work hard, you will succeed too, while also having at least 4 weeks' guaranteed paid leave, maternity/paternity leave, sickness benefit, unemployment benefit and the chance to send your children to university without bankrupting yourself or saddling them with a lifetime debt ...

For someone such as the OP, he could move to Italy next month, set up a business and have a guaranteed income for the next three years (plus all of the above) if he was so inclined. That visa hurdle is enormous, and there's (probably) nothing that the US offers that can't be achieved closer to home without the administrative hassle.

Absolutely agree the visa hurdle is a massive obstacle.

However, I say this as someone who has lived in several countries across the globe. It IS easier to make a living and develop in the US than almost anywhere else. That is not to say this chap could not certainly develop and grow both personally and career wise in another country.

Every country has it's pro's and cons the US is no different, but from a personal point of view I see people doing jobs that I KNOW many Irish kids would die for and could do with their hands tied behind their backs (and no I am not talking of sex workers in kinky parlours).

As we both agree on the VISA is the issue.

Isn't car insurance in the US as crazy as their health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Most decent jobs offer health insurance and dental and pension after a small period.... Its an employees market at the moment.

There are very few employers that will completely cover the cost of healthcare - most plans will involve some employee contribution and also a large copay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

road_high wrote: »
      How hard is it fir Americans to get in here? They don’t seem in short supply!

My lady friend arrived in Ireland the end of 2004 on 3 month visa and at the end of it we made a request to extend it. We had to get health coverage and I only had to handwrite a letter saying I would be responsible for her. Every 12 months we just had to deal with the queues at the GNIB office to get it extended. Got married in 2008 and the visa automatically became permanent, citizenship a few years later.

For me to come over here was a pain in the butt and time consuming. If you enter on an ESTA and try adjust status it can be frowned upon and if found to not be genuine you can get a ban. So I had to go down the IR-1 route, took about 15 months in total and required my wife's parents to sponsor me financially by providing their full income for the previous few years, very invasive on them because they had to send two copies direct to me. One got sent to NVC and the other was for me to bring to my interview.

I would imagine at this stage Ireland does not adjust holiday visa's so easily anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I got silly quotes in the 0000's because I was considered a newbie driver. So we took out insurance in my wife's name and it automatically covers me anyway. It's our first year so the insurance is considered high at $700 every 6 months. My wife drives a 2.5l Toyota Camry and I drive a 4 litre Toyota 4Runner 4x4. My guess is if I tried insure them in Ireland the insurance companies would laugh at me.

HDMI wrote: »
      I got silly quotes in the 0000's because I was considered a newbie driver. So we took out insurance in my wife's name and it automatically covers me anyway. It's our first year so the insurance is considered high at $700 every 6 months. My wife drives a 2.5l Toyota Camry and I drive a 4 litre Toyota 4Runner 4x4. My guess is if I tried insure them in Ireland the insurance companies would laugh at me.

Back in Australia I owned a 4.1L Petrol straight 6, a 3.2L petrol V6 and a 2.5L Petrol V6 - yeah, the Irish governments attitude to cars is one of the things I can't wait to put behind me when I leave.

There are very few employers that will completely cover the cost of healthcare - most plans will involve some employee contribution and also a large copay.

As you say it depends on the employer. Mine is a full plan, covered completely and a $250 deductible as all our staff have.

Dental is also covered.

Many places do not have the benefits that I have, many do.

Shop around same as in Ireland.

Costs of motoring are nothing compared to Ireland though.

Where I am annual sticker (tax) is $105 for a large car.

No vehicle inspections currently. Petrol is cheap. Insurance is the big expense, currently pay about twice what I would pay in Ireland. BUT, this is for complete open driving (hence ANYONE with a license american or international) can drive my car.

What IS expensive here is furniture of all things and really bad quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

HDMI wrote: »

My lady friend arrived in Ireland the end of 2004 on 3 month visa and at the end of it we made a request to extend it. We had to get health coverage and I only had to handwrite a letter saying I would be responsible for her. Every 12 months we just had to deal with the queues at the GNIB office to get it extended. Got married in 2008 and the visa automatically became permanent, citizenship a few years later.

For me to come over here was a pain in the butt and time consuming. If you enter on an ESTA and try adjust status it can be frowned upon and if found to not be genuine you can get a ban. So I had to go down the IR-1 route, took about 15 months in total and required my wife's parents to sponsor me financially by providing their full income for the previous few years, very invasive on them because they had to send two copies direct to me. One got sent to NVC and the other was for me to bring to my interview.

I would imagine at this stage Ireland does not adjust holiday visa's so easily anymore.

My now wife arrived in Ireland on a holiday visa in 2007, started training to be an accountant in Ireland, it's one of the few jobs that pays and qualifies as education. She qualified as an accountant a few years later and by then we were married and similar to you her visa was extended every 12 months.
        She then got Irish citizenship, by then we took off to the US and followed the same path as you to get me a US visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Back in Australia I owned a 4.1L Petrol straight 6, a 3.2L petrol V6 and a 2.5L Petrol V6 - yeah, the Irish governments attitude to cars is one of the things I can't wait to put behind me when I leave.

I drive a 5.3l V8 and it's about $500 a year in insure.

Because America always has and always will be more attractive to Irish people than continental Europe.

Straight away there is the language issue. You can get any job (legal or otherwise) and not have to worry about being able to speak the language.

And in reality healthcare is not really high on the list of considerations for people who want to go to America.
        Sure if you are a family it is, but if you are young and healthy it's not going to stop you.

As Mary Harney famously said, "we are closer to Boston than Berlin"

Because the country is so big there is no single market for a thing like car insurance.
        The laws around car insurance may vary from state to state.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

And in reality healthcare is not really high on the list of considerations for people who want to go to America. Sure if you are a family it is, but if you are young and healthy it's not going to stop you.

It needs to be now, because not having health insurance is a civil infraction (tort) punishable by very large fines that accrue each *day* you don't have health insurance.

As someone who was born a dual US/Irish citizen, with the ability to freely travel and live in either the US or the EU... here I am in Ireland.

In the US, as a person with a college degree, and 20+ years experience in my field already, I couldn't get a job that would keep a roof over my head and keep me fed. The company I worked for "provided me access to" the company's health insurance plan, the normal way of doing it for companies, where I got the company's discounted rate, but I paid the premiums out of my earnings. There was no help from the company in that regard. (Remember that I said this is normal)
        I wasn't living in the deep South or anything. I was in an fairly affluent area, where most people are well-educated.
        Another serious deficiency was the lack of any access to a pension, and no financial ability to save for retirement. (My "life savings" was effectively about $1,500. There is a social retirement payment in the US, but it is tiny, monthly it provides about the same as social welfare payments here do in a week and a half.)

I moved to Ireland in 2006, found a job in my field that paid me a wage that allowed me to start putting some retirement money away on top of being able to house, feed, and clothe myself, and provide me with private health insurance and access to private hospitals, with the public system to fall back on the small period I was out of work due to a redundancy. (In the US I wouldn't have received any redundancy payout, either)

I'm certainly not looking to go back to the US with Dump in charge.
        Someone above cited help wanted posters all over, but didn't bother to mention that it's because companies are moving all their full-time employees to part-time, so there are twice as many jobs with half as many hours pay. Companies are making these moves specifically to avoid having to give those employees any benefits.
        Having twice as many jobs available is irrelevant if you need to have 3-4 of them to get by on at minimum wage of $7.35/hour and only 15 hours/week per job.

Anyone looking to emigrate to the US is just a chump.

Advertisement