Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit Interview - Tell all or Keep quiet?

Options
  • 07-10-2019 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

So I have my exit interview coming up and I know the general unspoken rule is to be polite and not diss the company/department. That was my plan.

Now I’m thinking perhaps I should tell the truth about why I’m leaving - so maybe they can review the department and so my replacement will have a better chance of sticking it out.

My reasons for leaving were twofold - I explained one of them to my manager when handing in my notice. The work is boring, monotonous, I’m not challenged and feel like I could be doing a lot more.

However it is quite handy to come in, get paid well for sitting here, not getting stressed not having a huge workload and generally just cruising along.

I have done this for a while but the other 3 people in my department is why i decided enough was enough. They totally take the piss non stop. In at 9, down to the kitchen to sit down for coffee and chats till 9.45. Then at 12 it’s out for a 10k run, come back shower and then to the kitchen to sit down for lunch. This takes just over 2 hours. Come 4.55 it’s zipping up their bags and off home with them. We are meant to have 30 mins for lunch!!!
    The most ironic thing is that they always say they are busy and don’t have time to do stuff. My manager then takes this work on and some of it is passed to me.

I know I should have said something before now but I complained about a co-worker (who has since left) for being rude and insulting to me about 6 months ago and I didn’t want to be “that person” who complained about everyone.

Sorry for the length of this - basically should I say nothing or give some insight into what’s going on?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

keep quite. tis hard to cross burnt bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Keep shut. It would be easy to turn this back on you being the problem based on the snippet of information you're telling us.

Keep quiet, companies don’t want to change their ways.

I left my last job because a manager was bullying me. She was also bullying several other people. I thought about speaking up but to be honest, the CEO already knew that everyone hated her.

In the end, we all left and she is still there, probably forcing others out.

No longer my concern though.

OP just Shut up!

AH Language above I know...

Now, a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away, I worked in call centre land (apparently the more pc term nowadays is contact centre)
    Thought my supervisor was pretty decent skin for most of my time there until he accused me of saying "FVCK OFF" to a caller..
    Met the same supervisor few years later at a Christmas party (was now working in a callcentre that had taken over that computer makers function)
    Still the same snarky pri<k.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sottol

Thanks will be keeping quiet and smiling through it so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Write them a long detailed email to the most relevant person after you've got another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭KildareP

Say nout.

If these guys were taking the p*** as you say and the company was genuinely interested in quelling it, then it would have been stamped out long before now, without you having had to do anything never mind quitting over it. They're not going to suddenly kick into action now based on the feedback of a departing employee.

More often than not it will just be used against you as justification that it was probably best you left anyway as you weren't a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I see nothing wrong with mentioning that you did not find the work challenging enough etc, this is very often a genuine reason for wanting to move on, and is fair comment.

I would hold back on any comments about your co-workers performance, or lack there of. Sure, you may have been landed with extra work because of their carry on, but the exit interview is not the place to raise this, it should have been done beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Sottol wrote: »
    Thanks will be keeping quiet and smiling through it so!

I feel your pain OP, I've worked in an environment like that but I would follow the other posters advice too. Unfortunately, it sounds like they won't change their ways no matter what constructive feedback you provide. Just let on everything was grand.

On a related matter, a former colleague of mine told an employer precisely what she thought of them in her exit interview. This was around 2006/2007. Same colleague went crawling back to the organisation reluctantly during the recession, around 2010. She was desperate for any kind of job and was not successful, despite being an excellent worker during her time spent in the organisation. The motto “don’t ever burn your bridges”, still very much applies. You never know when you will need them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

skallywag wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with mentioning that you did not find the work challenging enough etc, this is very often a genuine reason for wanting to move on, and is fair comment.

I would hold back on any comments about your co-workers performance, or lack their of. Sure, you may have been landed with extra work because of their carry on, but the exit interview is not the place to raise this, it should have been done beforehand.

Agree re mentioning that the work wasn't challenging, if you wish. Nothing wrong with saying that.

The rest - well, that's no longer an issue for you and it's up to the manager/ company to sort out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sottol wrote: »
    I have done this for a while but the other 3 people in my department is why i decided enough was enough. They totally take the piss non stop. In at 9, down to the kitchen to sit down for coffee and chats till 9.45. Then at 12 it’s out for a 10k run, come back shower and then to the kitchen to sit down for lunch. This takes just over 2 hours. Come 4.55 it’s zipping up their bags and off home with them. We are meant to have 30 mins for lunch!!!
    The most ironic thing is that they always say they are busy and don’t have time to do stuff. My manager then takes this work on and some of it is passed to me.

It is entirely up to the manager how he runs his department. You will not be thanked for this feedback and if anyone ever contacts him for a comment on you, don't expect it to go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Keep quiet, companies won't want to change their ways based on just what you say. This is just a procedural tick box exercise that has to be done.

You have made the decision to leave, forget about them & look forward not behind you....

No point burning that bridge just in case you ever do need to communicate with that company in the future...

Good luck with the new job....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It is entirely up to the manager how he runs his department. You will not be thanked for this feedback and if anyone ever contacts him for a comment on you, don't expect it to go well.

Of course, the thing is our manager sits in the states. He has no idea what is going on here - there is one senior VP downstairs we are not under his department so he is never on our floor.
    Therefore management/the company don’t know this is happening! I guess it’s assumed that a few 40-50 year old men have the professionalism to get on with stuff without direct oversight.

Anyway I understand the responses and will be very complimentary in the exit interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Keep your mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Frustrating but seeing as you have already tried to give feedback which fell on deaf ears I wouldn’t be bothered getting all detailed and helpful at this juncture. The exit interview is simply a box ticking exercise. If they gave a genuine fûck about resolving issues they would have attempted before now..

Simply don’t get stressed, answer whatever questions they ask with fairly short and to the point answers and the whole tone of the event set on the premise that you are leaving to explore new and better opportunities in your career, you on the whole enjoyed working there it had a few challenges at times, but doesn’t everywhere, thanks and good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd give the honest feedback. If I was owner, or senior manager that's what I would want. There's a reason companies have exit interviews, and this is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Tell nothing.

You never know who you’ll need a reference from, who you’ll end up working with again, what mergers/takeovers may happen between this company and any future ones you work in. You have zero to gain, and a lot to potentially lose, if you tell all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Keep quiet.

You have nothing to gain from "telling all" apart from feeling good you got it off your chest.

The person interviewing you quite likely won't pass on your concerns as people shoot the messenger.

Also management tends to already know what the problems are. They may even think you're a dick for "only saying this now".

Too many downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I can't see that anything very bad has happened to you to "tell all". Sure, the dept doesn't look like its managed that well but it's not like you've been bullied or something malicious has happened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

Has anyone got any balls? . Safe predictable pc compliant. You want to rat out the slackers, do it. Refs etc., always forward never backwards. Feel better give into the darkside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Don't say a thing.

This role sound like it was made for me. Where do I apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I just went with bad fit for the company culture, saying I preferred to have control over parts of my job that in this role were devolved to other desks. It was well known within the company that these other desks were totally incompetent (creating a ton of downstream problems) and in fairness deliberately underesourced and I'd gotten no support when I'd tried to get them to do their jobs properly so I assume HR knew exactly what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

You have an obligation to yourself and others to tell the truth imo. Don't personalise it and bring it back to yourself at all times. I felt the work wasn't challenging enough for me, I feel the team dynamic isn't cohesive enough for me etc but I wish you well and thank you for the opportunity etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

"Whatever you say, say nothing." Thing is, unless you work for a paramilitary organisation, that's a load of nonsense. Go in and tell the truth. You don't have to name names but you can certainly talk about a culture of laziness and unfair distribution of labour.

As for burning your bridges, it seems from what you've said that the chances of you returning to this company are somewhere between slim and eff-all. The only thing you need to consider is whether you need a reference from this shower, and how your exit interview might affect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Session2019!

Absolute nonsense to keep quite. Exit interviews are the perfect time to give constructive criticism if you have some. Not go bat crazy but any issues or suggestions for improvement will actually help the company.

Have recently done one i did exactly that, was thanked for my honest opinions and gave them some good ideas to improve the department. They have said the door was always open should i want to return and possibly will in the future. That being said i did enjoy my time there overall but plenty of times i wanted to quit earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It doesn't sound to me OP that you are actually leaving because of your co-workers so don't say that you are as it might make you look spiteful. They would ask you why you didn't mention it before. If you really wanted to stay in the job you would have. That's not to say you shouldn't mention it all, do so if you genuinely wish to assist your employer.

AllForIt wrote: »
    It doesn't sound to me OP that you are actually leaving because of your co-workers so don't say that you are as it might make you look spiteful. They would ask you why you didn't mention it before. If you really wanted to stay in the job you would have. That's not to say you shouldn't mention it all, do so if you genuinely wish to assist your employer.

As I said it would be quite easy to stay here, plod along with easy hours and get well paid. The decision was made due to their behavior, it just annoys me so much. I’m not the type of person who can ignore it, believe me I wish I was!!

Tazz T wrote: »
    Don't say a thing.

This role sound like it was made for me. Where do I apply?

Ha, it’s being advertised externally later this week! We could split the referral fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Tell them. Don't name names as that is of no benefit to you or in actuality to the company (HR would have to make an issue of it if names used) if you keep it general they can look at the situation and deal with it. Why should other people's jobs be at risk by a company bout dealing with problems at grass roots level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I find its best to treat exit interviews a lot like posting a rant reply on Boards ..... you can spend ages crafting the perfect reply but when push comes to shove you end up deleting instead of posting cos going through with it is not really going to benefit you in any way

Advertisement