Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are people interested in Irish wrestling history content?

Options
  • 07-10-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey everyone,

I posted something very similar in the podcast thread but in reality not everyone reads that. However, apologies to the admins if you think this thread shouldn’t exist but I wanted to see if people are interested in the idea.

I’m wondering if there is much interest in an Irish wrestling history podcast or a blog/website? After getting into wrestling podcasts a year or so ago, I’ve been bitten by the nostalgia bug. So I’ve spent the last few months going through Irish newspaper archives and other sources (including threads on boards.ie) compiling information about Irish wrestling.

Essentially my idea was to go through each decade from the 1920s until the modern era. Each decade might be seen as a ‘season’ of a podcast series. One episode/post will give a broad overview of the decade and then for a few episodes/posts (depending on content available) we would examine events more closely in that decade.

Early episodes/posts would cover the first wrestling events in Ireland in the 1930s and the first promoters running the shows here. Pioneers like Dan O’Mahon, Steve Casey, and others would be covered too. In the 1940s items covered would include plans to build a stadium here by an English promoter to run regular events.

Other topics would include females being banned from wrestling in the 1960s, multiple approaches to RTE to have a wrestling show in the 1970s and much more. Eventually we would get to the modern era but I envisage that would be quite a way off given all the content needed to go through first.

I was/am toying with the idea of a book as I will put all this research to some use (I hope) but I think a podcast may work well too, with the possibility of publishing something later. I’ve already got over 10,000 words done for my notes, and some early shows for a possible podcast are almost fully drafted. I would have quite a few shows drafted before I started recording and releasing them so that I could keep ahead on content ready for release.

Obviously all this research, and then writing a blog and/or recording a podcast, is quite a lot of work so I’m curious to gauge the interest here. It’s quite a niche topic so I assume I’d be only tapping into the small group of Irish wrestling fans and not the huge numbers across the world that listen/read wrestling content. I’d probably feel like quite the jobber if I was getting 5 downloads/reads a week, so let me know your thoughts on such a project and how it might be improved etc.

Apologies to the admins if you consider this a cheap /illegal plug but I have already started posting old newspaper headlines etc. on the Irish Wrestling History facebook page if people want to see some historical content posted daily and get an idea of the things I’m unearthing.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This is just me ....

If you were to ask me if I wanted to know more about old school Irish wrestling history i'd go "nah" - That said I know nothing about it.
    If something interesting happened i'd like to know more. You've done the work and research so if you think people would be interested in the stories and events then go for it!

again, this is just me... but maybe a youtube documentary about old Irish Pro Wrestling would give you more eyes on it than a podcast. Seems everyone has a podcast these days :pac:

Only my two cents. What do i know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

There's always a place for good content :) Ultimately interest would be based on how good a storyteller you are and if you're willing to see the work required through. I agree with BA above that it'd serve much better as a documentary-series on YouTube rather than a podcast, but sure i'd be biased!

Advertisement