Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most whiplash patients end treatment when legal action finished

Options
  • 07-10-2019 8:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/most-whiplash-patients-end-treatment-when-legal-action-finished-1.4041918

More than 90 per cent of patients with whiplash attending a Dublin pain management clinic failed to return for additional treatment once their legal action was completed.

The unpublished finding, from a study of 100 patients of the Mater Hospital pain management service, is quoted in a paper by two leading neurosurgeons as evidence Ireland is experiencing “a whiplash epidemic” requiring urgent reform.

I will we all suspected it but at least now we have some evidence. A government needs to act on the compo culture fast. I doubt the current FG government will take any notice.

Comments

Thanks for the 12 hour old news dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Whats your point boss?

That crash hurted me back real bad honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Are there other threads on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Exactly, the passing of 12 hours means this is not noteworthy and does not merit discussion.

I think this is fantastic evidence that there's an ongoing stitch up by the legal profession against the public. Disgracefully abeitted by doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Love the bit about the rear ending driver rarely needing treatment for whiplash even though the forces are the exact same as the driver who was rear ended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

A committee will be set up 'early' in the new year to look into it. After a few months investigating a report will be in the pipeline, it'll be very thorough and not to be rushed! We can add it to all the other reports.

arctictree wrote: »
    Love the bit about the rear ending driver rarely needing treatment for whiplash even though the forces are the exact same as the driver who was rear ended!

Yes but your are forgetting the person at the back has time to brace themselves before they ram full force into someones behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

boombang wrote: »
    Exactly, the passing of 12 hours means this is not noteworthy and does not merit discussion.

I think he is one of those people that has the attention span of a heavy Twitter user.

The whiplash story covered on the 9 news tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,736 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I've read suggestions elsewhere about replacing 80% of the cash payout with some sort of health insurance policy which covers expected out of pocket costs for the treatment ONLY.

Genuinely injured people are not out of pocket. People only in it for the money, well it'll no longer be so appealing.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

While yer at it, why is there RTA charges ?

Road Traffic Accident (RTA) charges imposed under the Health (Amendment) Act, 1986

Patients receiving hospital care following a road traffic accident (RTA) must pay additional charges for their hospital care.

Currently, where a patient becomes subject to RTA charges in circumstances when he/she has previously paid private inpatient charges, the RTA charges levied shall be reduced by the amount of the private in-patient charges already paid in the following circumstances:

(i) private in-patient charges and RTA charges have been levied on a patient, and
    (ii) the private in-patient charges and RTA charges relate to the same period of hospitalisation.

By way of illustration, if private in-patient charges in the amount of €2,000 have been paid and RTA charges in the amount of €5,000 have been levied (both in respect of the same period of hospitalisation), the amount of the RTA charges should be €3,000:

(i) €2,000 in respect of private in-patient charges paid; and
    (ii) €3,000 in respect of RTA charges.

The total amount of the combined charges, therefore, is €5,000.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I've read suggestions elsewhere about replacing 80% of the cash payout with some sort of health insurance policy which covers expected out of pocket costs for the treatment ONLY.

Genuinely injured people are not out of pocket. People only in it for the money, well it'll no longer be so appealing.

Rubbish you're forgetting the emotional pain.
    People are not interested in the money.:D

They are interested on what they will spend the money on.

Good old retail therapy.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

All you have to do is check out how other EU Country's treat "WHIPLASH" injury claims,,, with the derision that many of them deserve. Anyone in lets say Germany, for example claiming real whiplash injury's, will be 100 % investigated. No Surgeon will just give the patient a cursory examination, and sign his name to a testifying document.....test's will be ordered, x rays, scan's etc. And only after these have been carried out will the Surgeon sign his name to a report, giving in exact detail the nature of the injury's ( or lack of them). This has the effect of discouraging spurious claims, while ensuring that genuine ones get the compensation they are due and need. Bringing false claims is regarded as fraud, which is what it is, and a punishable offence. Way to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I think this is fantastic evidence that there's an ongoing stitch up by the legal profession against the public. Disgracefully abeitted by doctors.

The healing power of the cheque from the insurance company is remarkable.

Glad you highlighted the prominent role of the medical profession in this “industry”. It is not unusual for consultations for PI medical reports to take place in public hospitals. While there is a significant crisis in our public health system with massive overruns in budgets and alleged pressures on consultants, the Dr. Nick Riviera's of this world still find time to get their piece of silver and often provide sketchy detail on most whiplash medical reports that they produce.

The role of the medical profession in the industry needs proper oversight and regulation. For the record, I have no difficulty with genuine claimants with serious injuries making a claim for damages but recent media reports demonstrate there is significant exaggeration and occasional fraud involved with several claims.

On do move along your so early afternoon.:p

220px-Bruno_poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,736 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Rubbish you're forgetting the emotional pain.
    People are not interested in the money.:D
    They are interested on what they will spend the money on.
    Good old retail therapy.:p

I see your point. Ok, we'll give them an insurance policy AND a €1000 voucher for Boots.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

Compo threads are usually full of ambulance-chasers here. Not this one...

Advertisement