Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to stay in Gran Canaria?

• 08-10-2019 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Looking for somewhere with a bit of nightlife, restaurants, shops. Close to sea if possible and hotel or an apartment. What area of the island would be good and which to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm a bit flummoxed looking at places as well that are not away from everything but close to a beach. I'd also be interested to hear opinions of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We always stay in Maspalomas/Melonaras. Plenty of bars and restaurants nearby and the beach. I would avoid Playa D'Ingles - high rise apartments mostly whereas Maspalomas tends to have resorts with bungalows/houses in them. If you wanted to go to Playa its about 5 euro in a cab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

There’s a lovely area called Meloneras near Maspalomas. Some big hotels there and close to the beech . Good range of restaurants, cafes and places to drink . Plenty of shops too .

Stay away from playa de ingles
    A lot of Irish go to Puerto Rico too but never like it myself

Stayed in the Lopesan Villa del Conde in Meloneras . Really nice hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Thanks all! Is there decent nightlife in Meloneras near Maspalomas? Also how much would it cost in a cab to go to Puerto Rico or Playa Ingles if you went there for a night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Thanks all! Is there decent nightlife in Meloneras near Maspalomas? Also how much would it cost in a cab to go to Puerto Rico or Playa Ingles if you went there for a night?

Depends on what you want as night life? Plenty of restaurants and bars - clubs no idea. 5-10 Euro into Playa. Puerto Rico is a bit further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Maspalomas / Melonaras - Nice area but a lot of the accommodation ( except for the big hotels ) is from Golf Course back and very spread out so a bit of a walk for beach. Meloneras sells itself as quite "upmarket". Also the beach is huge and very open and sea can be quite rough. Then again if you want to play Laurence of Arabia the dunes are quite a sight.

Playa del Ingles - avoid as a base. Yes, take taxi in for a look its cheap about a fiver but I'd not be staying there.

Puerto Rico - has good shops / bars / restaurants / nightlife. ( 2 new shopping centres opening there) Nice beach safe and clean but a lot of the accom is seriously uphill. And the timeshare sellers are an absolute pain.

Puerto de Mogán - Lovely beach and all accom within 10-15 min walk of same. Good restaurants and shops. Small,pretty (nickname is Venice of the Canaries) think Ballycotton in the sun. However if you want nightlife Mogán wouldn't be the best place.

For me Mogán ticks all boxes except late nightlife but then I'm a bit past the 3am nightclub scene so it suits.

By way of a curve ball, Costa Adeje in Tenerife has I believe all on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Don't overlook staying in Las Palmas

Advertisement