Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Outlook Shared Calender

Options
  • 08-10-2019 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Hopefully some Outlook Gurus will be able to help me this:

I'm trying to set up a shared calendar entry within our department, it's basically a worklist that multiple users can edit.

Problem is when two users have the same calendar entry open doing modifications there is no protection or warning stating that its open so when the final user saves the entry, it overwrites the previous persons entry.

Any ideas or solutions?

Cheers
    Damo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

damo86 wrote: »
    Hello,

Hopefully some Outlook Gurus will be able to help me this:

I'm trying to set up a shared calendar entry within our department, it's basically a worklist that multiple users can edit.

Problem is when two users have the same calendar entry open doing modifications there is no protection or warning stating that its open so when the final user saves the entry, it overwrites the previous persons entry.

Any ideas or solutions?

Cheers
    Damo
    It looks like you attempt to use it as "real time" info board
    Calendar not designed to be used that way. Either you get your team to create individual entries or this is just wrong application for the task.
    If you would share more specifics about task performed by team you could get more accurate/suitable suggestion.
    If you are O365 subscriber, look into SharePoint or Teams options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

There's meant to be a warning message when a save is made after someone else has already updated it.. is everyone using the same version of Outlook? If not, do a few tests to see which versions don't show the warning (it's also possible staff are just ignoring the message).

Using a calendar item as a checklist is looking for trouble, especially if you're sending invites and multiple people can make changes. You might be better using a product designed for the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Thanks for the suggestions/comments and the more I've looked into this during the day the more I think that this solution is not suitable for the task.

I'll explain our situation we have:

We're a ship that has a shipboard outlook server and we do have good internet access.

Our current solution is that we have a word document, everyone writes their jobs/tasks for the next day and this works as everyone get warnings that the document is open by someone else. The said word document is printed off in the morning and guys are sent off their way to do the jobs etc.

I'm trying to bring this system into the 21st century so everyone has access to it via their phones etc hence why I thought the outlook solution as we can have access to it via the outlook app.

We don't have a 365 package...still sporting Office 2013!

I did a few tests and no one got a warning that someone else had the calendar entry open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

damo86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions/comments and the more I've looked into this during the day the more I think that this solution is not suitable for the task.

I'll explain our situation we have:

We're a ship that has a shipboard outlook server and we do have good internet access.

Our current solution is that we have a word document, everyone writes their jobs/tasks for the next day and this works as everyone get warnings that the document is open by someone else. The said word document is printed off in the morning and guys are sent off their way to do the jobs etc.

I'm trying to bring this system into the 21st century so everyone has access to it via their phones etc hence why I thought the outlook solution as we can have access to it via the outlook app.

We don't have a 365 package...still sporting Office 2013!

I did a few tests and no one got a warning that someone else had the calendar entry open.
    Would you like to use Tasks in Outlook.
    Those even allow you to set/monitor completion status, assign to specific user(s) so notification would be mailed for that user(s), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

cheers, but tried tasks but look too cluttered etc and not exactly what I want

We're trying onenote now and its looking positive but will all go to crap if we lose internet!

Next task to see if I can get it working on the local server.

• Advertisement
Advertisement