Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equaliser

• 08-10-2019 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I switched to electric ireland in April 2019, I have been advised that if I am on the equaliser, I have no input as to how much it is set at. My previous provider allowed me to review it downwards because I was overpaying and building up credit - even after bills were deducted.

I have also been advised that it is only reviewed once a year, which is unreasonable as my usage is already established in bills since the switch, and also The Regulator has advised that previous meter readings are available to providers. I dont intend to be a customer beyond a year if there is a cheaper offer elsewhere.
    regards
    marzic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi marzic,

You can cancel the Equaliser and reset it should you wish, with Customer Service on 1850 372 372 or 01 8529534. This reflects if your usage is less than your Equaliser payment.

We just have visibility on our system of meter-readings taken while the property is registered with Electric Ireland (or when another provider sends one meter-reading to us when a customer is switching) however ESB Networks and Gas Networks Ireland should have visibility of all readings.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Hi marzic,

You can cancel the Equaliser and reset it should you wish, with Customer Service on 1850 372 372 or 01 8529534. This reflects if your usage is less than your Equaliser payment.

We just have visibility on our system of meter-readings taken while the property is registered with Electric Ireland (or when another provider sends one meter-reading to us when a customer is switching) however ESB Networks and Gas Networks Ireland should have visibility of all readings.

Kind regards,
    Una
    Hi Una, this is not what I was advised over the phone: you are saying I can reset it? do you mean cancel, and reset at the amount I want to pay?

Hi marzic,

You cannot reset the Equaliser, but you can have it cancelled and set it up again. This will generate a new Equaliser amount per month, based on your previous usage (it is still system generated rather than chosen by the customer).

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Hi marzic,

You cannot reset the Equaliser, but you can have it cancelled and set it up again. This will generate a new Equaliser amount per month, based on your previous usage (it is still system generated rather than chosen by the customer).

Kind regards,
    Una
    I dont know if any other customers feel the same but this is inflexible! I know how much my bills are anually so I know how much of a monthly payment will be required, and the balance of a bill if any will be covered by the DD. I have been quoted approx €44 per month (Gas) even though with my previous provider €35 per month was adequate.
    I might as well say it was Bord Gais Level pay - now I had to kick the door in a bit as their reviews were meant to be every 3 months but I insisted on them changing it sooner as I was only building up credit - I was giving them an interest free loan every month!

Can you confirm if the DD will be for the full amount of the Bill?
    will it take credit into account from Equilisation payments once the are paid before the bill is issued?

Hi marzic,

Credit is always left on a customer's account, and automatically covers a bill or bills if sufficient credit is built up and the Equaliser is cancelled.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

The system hasn't improved anyway. I've just realised o have been easy under paying all year because my equaliser was set at 41 per month, even though my lowest 2 month bill this year was €139.
    I am 10 months in to my year contract.
    I was made wait 2 months/billings before seeing up equaliser, but even these values don't seem to have been taken into consideration.
    Only re-leveling once every 12 months seems kind of useless to be honest.

I'm now going to be hit with a bill of approx 400 at some point, which utterly defeats the purpose of signing up to the equaliser.

I contacted chat, and was told I could cancel and set up new equaliser as described above, but not sure it would be worth the effort at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

The system hasn't improved anyway. I've just realised o have been easy under paying all year because my equaliser was set at 41 per month, even though my lowest 2 month bill this year was €139.
    I am 10 months in to my year contract.
    I was made wait 2 months/billings before seeing up equaliser, but even these values don't seem to have been taken into consideration.
    Only re-leveling once every 12 months seems kind of useless to be honest.

I'm now going to be hit with a bill of approx 400 at some point, which utterly defeats the purpose of signing up to the equaliser.

I contacted chat, and was told I could cancel and set up new equaliser as described above, but not sure it would be worth the effort at this stage.

Advertisement