Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is kilbarrick dublin 5 like ?

Options
  • 08-10-2019 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

I know someone interested in buying a house in Kilbarrick. They want to know what the area is like. I not familiar at all with that a area.Had to google it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is a rough area. People will tell you they have no problems with the area. If you are unfamiliar with the area you probably aren't used to how it is. Similar to Coolock if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's a mixed bag, the closer to the coast you are, the nicer it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The part south and east of the train line is mainly grand. But Auctioneers probably all say that's Raheny now.

The part North and west of the train line is more of a mixed bag. Plenty good but you'd be best to check the specific street. Again I suspect "Kilbarrack" may be used for anything well into Edenmore, Coolock or Donaghmede.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

kilbarrack is a term that can cover different estates depending on who you talk to.

Believe it or not, a lot of people who live in kilbarrack love it. Shops are excellent, choice of schools, and public transport is grand with choice of bus routes and dart. Its a well settled community with community centres and plenty of activities/clubs/teams eg boxing, GAA soccer etc . There is a couple of close by parks, St Annes and your near the (arguably) best beach in Dublin, in dollymount strand within walking distance. And there is a very large and well manned health centre with doctors dentists etc. Its been immortalised as Barrytown by roddy Dolye who taught is one of the local schools.

House prices are lower than many comparable areas, as im sure your friend noticed.

However there are negatives, with a name for anti social behaviour, but no so much for organised criminal elements. I would very much recommend you friend get to know what the area they are looking at is like at night/ weekend, and has a walk around the shopping centre too to get a feel for the area.

It would be very working class, and i think there is a large element of snobbishness to areas where people who look and sound common live, that has caused the local properties to be priced as they are. The reputation the area enjoys is not unfounded, but i believe it is exaggerated, and someone who feels comfortable in the area could assimilate easily enough. I do see kids hanging around, and that sort of thing.

i think there was a significant drug seizure in 2018 ... there have been way more shootings in places like donaghmede, clarehall etc (and they have a much better reputation).

i certainly would not class it as one of the worst neighbourhoods on dublin, it wouldn't even make the top 10. Be careful as to the street you pick and get a feel for the neighbours and the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Watch the Barrytown (Kilbarrack) trilogy to give you an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Paging Samuel T Cogley who is an advocate for the area. He was entirely new to it and often posts about how it is unfairly maligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Personally I love the area. My only reservation as I've been here a bit longer is its a working class family area and starting a family hasn't really gone to plan for a myriad of reasons. I moved in four / five years ago and had one issue, partly of my own making the entire time I've been here and that was very minor.

Most recent experience was helping a local community group pretty up the street and install flower boxes along the street. I have great neighbours.

If it's the old Briarfield House site, as I said to someone else you have to question a) Half a million to live in Kilbarrack and b) why are the original purchasers moving out so quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

mount olive road is the property location. From what the thread us saying hard to know if this is good or bad

mount olive road is the property location. From what the thread us saying hard to know if this is good or bad

Kilbarrack like most areas of Dublin sub 300K is going to live or die on who the neighbours are. If it's that 2 bed that's going to auction I can tell you its going to sell significantly over the reserve. The last house I'm aware of over that side went for silly money albeit was a 100Msq2 3 bed IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I worked as a guard in the area for 12 years, like any working class part of Dublin your going to get some elements of criminality but nothing what is described as”gangland” in the media. Mount Olive Rd is a quiet area from my experience, very decent, hard working people living on that street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Kilbarrack like most areas of Dublin sub 300K is going to live or die on who the neighbours are. If it's that 2 bed that's going to auction I can tell you its going to sell significantly over the reserve. The last house I'm aware of over that side went for silly money albeit was a 100Msq2 3 bed IIRC.

yes thats the one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mount Olive is fine.

Two issues I would flag:
    There's 2+ houses overlooking from the east.
    It looks to be a later build so might or might not be as solid as the other houses seem to be.

After that it is luck of the draw with neighbours. How they keep their property is a indicator.

Is pyrite an issue given location and age of the property? Also need to question why it's being sold at auction.

Advertisement