Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance

Options
  • 08-10-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Signed our contracts last week, valuation is done, application for mortgage protection has been made, last thing now is organising home insurance.

Can anyone point me in direction of best broker to use for this? looking for decent value for money as you can imagine.

Ive also heard you must insure for amount of rebuild cost on valuation report. But as house is vacant, there are obviously no contents what would be standard amount you would insure for here?

Also is there anything else they will need to know, would love to have all info at hand well in advance.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Yes rebuild cost, dont forget the cost of disposing of rubble etc should the worst happen to the house.
    Contents will include furniture (flooring included), clothes, electrical items, money and jewellery. just add up what you have and insure it for same. dont under insure for the sake of €20/30
    https://www.scsi.ie/documents/get_lob?id=56&field=file this may help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

I've been with Aviva for 6 years, claims free,every year it rises by at least E30.I decided to shop around this year,Chill quoted me E391,Aviva quoted me E365,AXA quoted me E238.I'm going with AXA.Is it any wonder that insurance companies have come under the spotlight.Their staff
    must throw darts at a board to arrive at a figure.It's about time the Central Bank looks into
    these charlatans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've used KBC. They are broker for Zurich.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

I've used KBC. They are broker for Zurich.

Zurich do not accept cheques,it beggars belief.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

I change my policy every year as it always works out cheaper to switch.

2 out of the last 3 years An Post have been the cheapest

https://www.anpostinsurance.ie/home-belongings/home-insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Blanco100 wrote: »

Ive also heard you must insure for amount of rebuild cost on valuation report. But as house is vacant, there are obviously no contents what would be standard amount you would insure for here?

You're insuring the house for at least a year and I'm assuming you will move some contents into the house ;)

Generally insurers let you specify contents as a percentage of the rebuild cost. 10% is usually the lowest allowed.

Advertisement