Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External SSD for MAC

Options
  • 08-10-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to upgrade my 2013 imac, 2012 model. It has 8gb ram, 5400 1TB drive, I don't know if it got steadily worst or is just been gobsmackingly left behind in the dirty by my new work win10, i5, 8gb RAM, SSD laptop. I have looked at upgrading the internal drive and installing more ram but it looks risky as hell as you have to unbond & delaminate the screen and risk breaking it.

Anyways that got me onto the option of booting the system off an external SSD. Anyone do this ?? I understand you need to format the SSD drive and load mac os onto it and them it boots as a totally new HDD/sysem, but I'm confused can you use the exiting drive in paralled to it ?? Will my existing app;icatuions work ? or do I need to copy my files cross from the onboard HDD ?? The gains are in solid read write speed of the SSD compared to the SATA drive correct ???

Any hlp appreciated

All i've read says its the easiest bang for buck upgrade. id like ot stay with mas OS a ste wife love it and cant use windows.

Samsung T5 SSD seems the best options using USB 3 connections

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

sugarman wrote: »
    It may seem daunting to remove the screen but its a breeze with the right tools and just taking your time.

You could also upgrade the CPU while youre inside to an i7, they only cost about €80 used and you can even sell the old i5 for €30-40. Decent performance boost for little money.

Not to mention just giving it a good clean out. You'd be surprised how much dust and dirt builds up.

...but if you really dont fancy it, an external SSD can be used yes.

It is easy enough to upgrade the parts inside however you should have at least opened and upgraded a PC or something, and if you have then most likely you would
    Not be asking can you use an external ssd so
    Maybe check a few videos showing how it’s done and taking car with the display cable when taking it off.
    Otherwise maybe get on to local repair shop and they might upgrade it for you, any pc or repair shop could do it I’d say for not much money.

If doing it yourself iFixIt.com will be your friend.

Advertisement