Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any flaw here? Amazon Huawei B525 with a 3 SIM

• 08-10-2019 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Borrowed a colleague's Huawei B525 4G router with a 3 pre-pay SIM already in it to test out at home. Working much better than my current local wireless provider.

I was thinking of buying a B525 from Amazon so it is not locked to any network and getting a 3 SIM. That way I have the flexibility of switching mobile provider in the future.

Apart from the APN details (are these available) is there any flaw to this option?

Any better routers out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Apart from the APN details (are these available) is there any flaw to this option?

Yep, congestion on three network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yep, congestion on three network

True, I need to do more speed tests with my colleague's hardware but at worst so far it is at the same speed as my current setup under good conditions. At best it is 5x times faster than my current setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

True, I need to do more speed tests with my colleague's hardware but at worst so far it is at the same speed as my current setup under good conditions. At best it is 5x times faster than my current setup.

Wait till everyone gets home from work/school ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I did a good lot of tests yesterday evening and was down to about 5Mbps at it's worst. As bad as that seems it is a relatively good speed for my existing setup.

Pretty bad that I consider that okay. At it's best I've been gettting 30Mbps. My own provider can go down to 1Mbps at it's worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I have this setup although with a E5186 but generally the Huawei B525 B315 E5186 B593 etc. are pretty similar for their general purpose and are the right type to be looking at.

I've found that you don't have to enter APN at all, it just works. Congestion can be a big issue as Smuggler says but it depends how many people around you are using it so testing your friends router at peak times like Friday evenings etc. should give an idea of the bottom end.

It might get down to 5mb at worst (I'm probably lucky) and its a hell of a lot better than the 2/0.2 DSL line I was on. 1/3 the price too and more reliable as no telephone lines for cattle to chew. I've tried an Eir sim with one of the unlimited data (80GB) and calls for €20 recently but getting DNS issues and random disconnects even with a strong 4G signal. So for me three 3G is more reliable that Eir 4G. who'd have thought! Granted I'm happy out averaging 10Mb on three 3G while I can get up to 70Mbs on 4G Eir. It really is a try it out sort of thing. Vodafone recently came out with a 300GB mobile broadband plan for €40 IIRC so you have a good selection.

Great info here: https://editorsean.com/articles/large-4g-plans-home-broadband-ireland/

• Advertisement
Advertisement