Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is operation of a young savers account so difficult

Options
  • 08-10-2019 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

My son wants his account balance. 

He is 11.  

1) You won't allow him online access.

2) telephone banking won't give him a balance

3) telephone banking won't allow him to order a statement

4) he has to go in branch.

5) branch is only open school hours.

I now think its best if he closes his account and opens a credit union one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

They have a mortgage saver and the only way pay a random deposit is to go into the branch. It's almost 2020. 

BOI have a lot of half baked saving products. About time they seriously get their digital online act in order. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Poncke wrote: »
    They have a mortgage saver and the only way pay a random deposit is to go into the branch. It's almost 2020. 

BOI have a lot of half baked saving products. About time they seriously get their digital online act in order. 
    It's a joke.   As it stands you have to lose income to save it or in my sons case a parent has to take a day off and child has to lose a day of school to find out how much he has in the bank 

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Same as myself OP. Difference being is that the local branches are "cashierless" so literally have to travel for about 30 minutes to get a branch.

antodeco wrote: »
    Same as myself OP. Difference being is that the local branches are "cashierless" so literally have to travel for about 30 minutes to get a branch.
    I'm the same, 30 mins in one direction and 40 in the other 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Tow

I have asked this and talked to BOI staff with the same problem with their children's accounts.   BTW, we are still waiting for the 'free' bag or whatever the offer was :-)

I have been led to believe 'at one stage' you could get online access to a child's account, added to your own login.  However, this appears to have been done away with.  This is basically bad business, in most cases once a customer sets up an account with a bank, they stay a customer for life.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

He is 11.

1) You won't allow him online access.

Hi Katiek102010

Thanks for reaching out to us here with your query on our Young Savers Accounts.

Once your child reaches the age of 14 they can register for online and telephone banking , this will give your son 24 hour access to the account. Here they can request statements for the account, check their balance and make payments if needed to do so.

In the mean time withdrawals from the account can be made in a branch that offer a cashier facility. Any information your son requires for the account can be provided in all of our branches. Our advisors will be happy to order an up to date statement on the account in branch if required.

Our branches are open 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday and open till 5pm one day during the week. This can be checked here.

I hope this helps.

thanks Jen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Tow wrote: »
    I have asked this and talked to BOI staff with the same problem with their children's accounts.   BTW, we are still waiting for the 'free' bag or whatever the offer was :-)

I have been led to believe 'at one stage' you could get online access to a child's account, added to your own login.  However, this appears to have been done away with.  This is basically bad business, in most cases once a customer sets up an account with a bank, they stay a customer for life.

Hi Tow,

thanks for getting in touch with us here. We are sorry to hear that you did not receive the Free bag when opening this account. Would you like to send us a PM with a bit more information and we would be happy to link in with the branch and look into this for you.

Thanks Jen

He is 11.  

Hi Katiek102010

Thanks for reaching out to us here with your query on our Young Savers Accounts.

Once your child reaches the age of 14 they can register for online and telephone banking , this will give your son 24 hour access to the account. Here they can request statements for the account, check their balance and make payments if needed to do so.

In the mean time withdrawals from the account can be made in a branch that offer a cashier facility. Any information your son requires for the account can be provided in all of our branches. Our advisors will be happy to order an up to date statement on the account in branch if required.

Our branches are open 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday and open till 5pm one day during the week. This can be checked here.

I hope this helps.

thanks Jen
    Jen. 

Not really.  I think he will be better off with a credit union whereby he can access his account at more customer friendly hours... 

Tbh I doubt the department of education and employers would be too impressed about just popping out of work to take my son from school early to do his banking.  Especially seeing as it would be a min of an hours drive.

Most kids nowadays can buy and sell adults with tech.  A bit redicilous really

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He is 11.  

Hi Katiek102010

Our branches are open 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday and open till 5pm one day during the week
    . This can be checked here.

I hope this helps.

thanks Jen
    That's some mighty fine "customer service" right there!

You have literally agreed with and repeated the ops issues without actually addressing the issues.

Crazy way to run a busines.

He is 11.  

Hi Katiek102010

Our branches are open 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday and open till 5pm one day during the week
    . This can be checked here.

I hope this helps.

thanks Jen
    That's some mighty fine "customer service" right there!

You have literally agreed with and repeated the ops issues without actually addressing the issues.

Crazy way to run a busines.
    I fully agree.  I think it would be more appropriate if parents could access the child's account until they were of an age when they can get online banking, or at least allow parents to order a child a statement from telephone banking.

A parent ordering a statement to be posted to the child at their home is not in breach of GDPR.   Utterly redicilous 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I don't think BoI or other 'high street' banks are interested in savings accounts and less so for children. Just hassle for them, but don't worry if your son goes to 3rd level they'll be all over him, trying to sign him up and get him in. At that stage, he becomes a potential asset in terms of longer term loyalty..

Same situation when it gets to the other end of life, have an elderly relative who is physically incapacitated and in a nursing home. Nothing will do BoI and others but that this person should come into branch to sign the forms they foist on them.

So in the middle stages of life, you are potentially a useful asset to 'high street' banks, but if young or old then you're just a nuisance. That's my read of it anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Most banks run in such an antiquated fashion that it is just a joke. Their institutional mindset is in the bronze age.

The piss poor token response from "Jennifer" is also a joke. Rehashing the OPs problem with no help offered.

Credit union is the way to go. local, opens on saturday, online app as good as any bank. Less bullshít in general.

You could also look at setting your son up with a Revolute account. They now have a youth account and app for 7-16 year olds.

Most banks run in such an antiquated fashion that it is just a joke. Their institutional mindset is in the bronze age.

The piss poor token response from "Jennifer" is also a joke. Rehashing the OPs problem with no help offered.

Credit union is the way to go. local, opens on saturday, online app as good as any bank. Less bullshít in general.

You could also look at setting your son up with a Revolute account. They now have a youth account and app for 7-16 year olds.
    Thanks everyone.  I'm going to close the account and transfer everything to his credit union. 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement