Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem while copying emails from MS Outlook to USB Drive

Options
  • 08-10-2019 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I was copying some emails from MS Outlook to a USB stick and something obviously went very wrong and I am trying to recover the emails that did not transfer.

The Inbox view was open in outlook and the USB folder was open in task bar. I was dragging and dropping emails to a folder in USB drive and for some reason some of the emails that I had selected did not copy through......the USB folder did not open for the ones in question so I assumed that something had gone wrong and that I could redo the copy and paste again.

For some reason, the emails in question are no longer in Inbox in Outlook or in webmail. I have searched all files and folders but to no avail. Can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong or more importantly, where I could search and locate these emails. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Don't tell me it was eircom.net account, as that could be one of "wrong" things. :D

Is USB still functional?

Were you by any chance had held Shift button down while Drag&Drop?
    Asking this b'cause Shift could be used to select range of messages and commonly used in such operations, however, when Drag&Drop this would be = Move action.

Copied/moved messages would be named by subject line and would have .msg extension.
    • no subject = Untitled.msg
    • "Re:" = Re.msg
    If messages have same subject line, you should be getting "action" prompt: Copy&Replace or Don't copy
    Edit: copying multiple messages with same subject in one operation would result in Re.msg; Re(1).msg, etc., but on second operation to same folder would result in "action" prompt.

Can you recall an of such happening?

You could try search by *.msg and see if any found on PC/USB
    If you did "move" and then Copy&Replace ... well you know what it means.

What was the reason/purpose for copying if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Don't tell me it was eircom.net account, as that could be one of "wrong" things. :D

Is USB still functional?

Were you by any chance had held Shift button down while Drag&Drop?
    Asking this b'cause Shift could be used to select range of messages and commonly used in such operations, however, when Drag&Drop this would be = Move action.

Copied/moved messages would be named by subject line and would have .msg extension.
    • no subject = Untitled.msg
    • "Re:" = Re.msg
    If messages have same subject line, you should be getting "action" prompt: Copy&Replace or Don't copy
    Edit: copying multiple messages with same subject in one operation would result in Re.msg; Re(1).msg, etc., but on second operation to same folder would result in "action" prompt.

Can you recall an of such happening?

You could try search by *.msg and see if any found on PC/USB
    If you did "move" and then Copy&Replace ... well you know what it means.

I will explore this issue further when I have a moment. Yes, the USB is fully functional, it is not an eircom.net account etc. etc. etc. I am confident that the emails are not lost as I am pretty careful when filing emails and correspondence etc. It is just a question of looking further. Perhaps posted in haste on this occasion. Thanks for suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

What was the reason/purpose for copying if you don't mind me asking?

I do this on a regular basis to sort/file correspondence etc. etc. I like to keep all related correspondence, including email, Word and Excel and PP documents in folders created specifically for some project or other - simple as that. I also keep copies of important emails in Outlook as well for reference for a certain period of time.

Maidhci wrote: »
    I do this on a regular basis to sort/file correspondence etc. etc. I like to keep all related correspondence, including email, Word and Excel and PP documents in folders created specifically for some project or other - simple as that. I also keep copies of important emails in Outlook as well for reference for a certain period of time.
    I see...
    well organized and worked-out system i suppose.
    Good for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement