Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child awarded €32,500 for cut eyebrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I should sue my parents, I had a number of falls including when I feel off a chair onto my forehead, split my head open. Also on my bike, split my head open. Both of which I have tiny little scars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Medical expenses are all that should ever be covered. and if a parent has to take a day or 2 off work, maybe that too, but this is complete BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I should sue my parents, I had a number of falls including when I feel off a chair onto my forehead, split my head open. Also on my bike, split my head open. Both of which I have tiny little scars.

If my kids sued me for every mark they ever got I’d be bankrupt. Utterly crazy country we live in

Weepsie wrote: »
    Medical expenses are all that should ever be covered. and if a parent has to take a day or 2 off work, maybe that too, but this is complete BS.

Given the mother’s attitude towards the settlement I’m wondering does she work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its a cut eyebrow ffs. This is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The mother felt the award was a little on the light side. Jesus ****ing wept. Now on the other hand the creche were a bit thick having the child stand on a stool to wash their hands but 32 and half grand? **** me pink

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i got nothing when another kid threw a rock at me on a school trip had concussion the works, got sent home on public transport the next day and got home and started throwing up just got a bandage slapped around my head wasnt even taken to hospital

those were the days (1970's)!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Now on the other hand the creche were a bit thick having the child stand on a stool to wash their hands

It's actually quite common due to the younger ages taken in crèche and preschools

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Absolutely ridiculous....

Many a fall I had and my family etc...

Little one face planted a small stage in a pub and similar to the boy burst her eye brow.

You can still slightly see it but we didn't sue as it was an accident and nobody else's fault.

Same as me walking around my house falling over and getting a bruise or a cut, I tend to shake it off or go ouch and continue on....

I don't have nightmares of walking again or that of been in the house I fell etc....

How are these claims even entertained and exactly as previously said costs for medical if other found at fault.

Why would he need €32k for a cut....

Absolutely ridiculous....

Many a fall I had and my family etc...

Little one face planted a small stage in a pub and similar to the boy burst her eye brow.

You can still slightly see it but we didn't sue as it was an accident and nobody else's fault.

Same as me walking around my house falling over and getting a bruise or a cut, I tend to shake it off or go ouch and continue on....

I don't have nightmares of walking again or that of been in the house I fell etc....

How are these claims even entertained and exactly as previously said costs for medical if other found at fault.

Why would he need €32k for a cut....

Imagine the legal & associated costs of the claim on top of the €32,500, all this will do is incentivise more of these types of claims. The book of quantum needs to be shredded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From experience two-year-old boys cannot be left alone in bathrooms! Award is probably high but no evidence in the story that anyone was watching the child. If that's the case that's going to be seen as negligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why is there no sink for the children to use? It's a creche, their main clientele are are little ball bashing midgets.

32K is a bit much.

is_that_so wrote: »
    From experience two-year-old boys cannot be left alone in bathrooms! Award is probably high but no evidence in the story that anyone was watching the child. If that's the case that's going to be seen as negligence.

No one is disputing negligence, merely the scale of the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Need to put in sinks for mice next....

Why not just furnish them with a doll's house....

Have you ever seen someone fit a lower sink at home....

It's probably best they learn some skills but this will now have to be looked at and maybe just take the sinks away and give them wet wipes ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The cool eyebrow scar will stand to him when he grows up.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    The cool eyebrow scar will stand to him when he grows up.

Reminds me of the kid in the Ali G movie with slits on both eyebrows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Sounds like they had a very good barrister.

Trauma is difficult to define, hence the parent's saying they were unhappy with the award. Fair play to the judge for telling them to take what they were offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No one is disputing negligence, merely the scale of the award.

There was no award.

The insurance company / creche settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

And we wonder why insurance policies are through the roof. What an absolute joke of a country.The best one was a few years ago im sure someone remembers a woman hit her leg off the end of a table in a restaurant as she sat to have her meal. 20k she got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I had to get stitches twice when I was younger, in both cases it wasn't my fault . I got brought to a & e, got stitched up and all the compensation I got was a Happy meal on the way home. Do the two scars bother me ...no , I've no problem with genuine claims but the ridiculous amounts they pay out is a joke . My dad employed this fella for a while. The bloke told another employee of my dad that he got 20,000 for getting 3 stitches on his hand , he even told him, that he was back working the next day after getting the stitches. The other employee told my dad and my dad let him go a week later . You can't have people like that working for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nothing wrong with the award. They should have taken better care of the kid / had sinks which kids can access without the need to stand on a stool.

Clear negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Imagine the legal & associated costs of the claim on top of the €32,500, all this will do is incentivise more of these types of claims. The book of quantum needs to be shredded.

Cost for the legal defence, plaintiff's legal costs, barrister fees and a whole host of other costs. The legal profession is a goldmine.

Nothing wrong with the award. They should have taken better care of the kid / had sinks which kids can access without the need to stand on a stool.

Clear negligence.

What does the child need that sum of money for? His hospital fees should have been covered and no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He's left with a scar. He was just two years old.

Maybe some of it should be kept for him until he's 18 but the amount is fine.

Borgo wrote: »
    And we wonder why insurance policies are through the roof. What an absolute joke of a country.The best one was a few years ago im sure someone remembers a woman hit her leg off the end of a table in a restaurant as she sat to have her meal. 20k she got.

I remember that case. A photo of her appeared in the media smiling after leaving court. No wonder, €20k of easy money.

Boggles wrote: »
    There was no award.

The insurance company / creche settled.

Judge had to approve it, therefore award.

Is there interest in that money until the child reaches 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

When I was a kid I fell through bars on a fire escape stairs and bruised my kidneys, I was in hospital for five days.

Still raging my mam didn’t sue them, I’d have a deposit for a house handy. Funnily enough at the time loads of people were urging her to take legal action and her response was something along the lines of “he shouldn’t have been bloody climbing around the thing and he’ll think again now next time.”

Sensible woman, something getting rare nowadays unfortunately.

So if he can live with his scar from age 2 to 18 without this money then why would he suddenly need it at age 18?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Judge had to approve it, therefore award.

No it isn't.

A Judge approving it is a legal box ticking exercise which brings court proceedings to an end.

If a Judge awarded it, he would set the amount and explain why.

Advertisement