Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability allowance for anxiety.

• 08-10-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. I’m 17 years old and I am just enquiring if anybody knows about how to go about getting DA? I suffer quite badly with anxiety and depression so I feel as if I should be eligible. I do not take any medication but I hope to start sometime soon as nothing else seems to be beneficial. I have also been attending counselling on and off for the past few years for anxiety. Can anybody help me out? How do I go about this. Thanks

* edit *
    I am 17 years old but I have completed by leaving certificate, I am currently attending a part time course in adult education, I turn 18 in December.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Hi. I’m a 17 year old and I am just enquiring if anybody knows about how to go about getting DA? I suffer quite badly with anxiety and depression so I feel as if I should be eligible. I do not take any medication but I hope to start sometime soon as nothing else seems to be beneficial. I have also been attending counselling on and off for the past few years for anxiety. Can anybody help me out? How do I go about this. Thanks
    As a 17 year old as far as I know your parents are responsible for your upkeep and you are not entitled to an independent payment. I am open to correction though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Sinus pain wrote: »
    As a 17 year old as far as I know your parents are responsible for your upkeep and you are not entitled to an independent payment. I am open to correction though
    The qualifying age for Disability allowance is 16 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Disability allowance is payable from age 16. And her parents won’t be involved in the means test. Why would you heighten someone’s anxiety by guessing at an answer like this?!?

The qualifying age for Disability allowance is 16 years old.

I didn’t know you could get a social welfare payment if you were under 18 - I always thought you had to be over 18 as your parents guardians would be responsible for you... everyday is a school day!!

Do not post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Lance-kun

The only way to know for sure is to apply. Be ready to appeal their decision if it's denied.

Post deleted, poster thread banned

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mod note Sinus Pain thread banned, some posts removed, please continue

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kaylawhala1234

I didn’t know you could get a social welfare payment if you were under 18 - I always thought you had to be over 18 as your parents guardians would be responsible for you... everyday is a school day!!

I have finished school this year, I am attending an adult education part time course.

Lance-kun wrote: »
    The only way to know for sure is to apply. Be ready to appeal their decision if it's denied.

Thank you, I’m going to print an application form and try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thank you, I’m going to print an application form and try it out.

Be sure and get some extra medical evidence apart from what the GP writes and write a letter from yourself describing how your illness affects you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Good luck with your application, but be prepared to fight if they deny it the first time around.

My niece was successfully awarded disability allowance (on appeal) at age 18 on the grounds that she suffered with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks.

Have you been attending any counselling or psychotherapist who can confirm your condition? Any paperwork you can give them to back up your claim would be helpful.

(edit) I just saw that you have been attending counselling. Get your therapist to write a letter also backing up your claim.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Be sure and get some extra medical evidence apart from what the GP writes and write a letter from yourself describing how your illness affects you.

Thank you!

AulWan wrote: »
    Good luck with your application, but be prepared to fight if they deny it the first time around.

My niece was successfully awarded disability allowance (on appeal) at age 18 on the grounds that she suffered with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and panic attacks.

Have you been attending any counselling or psychotherapist who can confirm your condition? Any paperwork you can give them to back up your claim would be helpful.

(edit) I just saw that you have been attending counselling. Get your therapist to write a letter also backing up your claim.

Thank you so much, that’s helpful. I am going to enquire about getting a letter from my old secondary school and the college I attend now because the counsellors know that I have been suffering badly with panic attacks and anxiety over most things day to day.

Advertisement