Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Councillors' junket to the Netherlands

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The organizers of the event encouraged attendees to travel by public transport and ferry if possible. The Dublin delegation did just that. The Limerick delegation travelled to Dublin and then flew. Obviously they should have gone by ferry and public transport from Dublin.

I don't know who went apart from EOD and Olivia O'Sullivan. I understand that there were people from FF, Labour and the Greens as well as those two, and that no independents went.

Most of these parties are running on platforms of climate action, and it's the raison d'etre of the greens. Therefore the councillors should be subject to disciplinary measures by their parties.

Have you worked out how much carbon it would take to travel to Dublin, then take the ferry to the UK, then travel across the UK, then get another ferry, then travel to Utrecht? Sometimes flying makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Have you worked out how much carbon it would take to travel to Dublin, then take the ferry to the UK, then travel across the UK, then get another ferry, then travel to Utrecht? Sometimes flying makes sense.
    more public transport usage leads to reduced car usage which reduces emissions.

Ferries are way greener than aircraft. Air travel is a huge polluter and should be avoided by anyone who has any pretence of being environmentally conscious.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2007/aug/04/saturday.green1

Ferries are way greener than aircraft. Air travel is a huge polluter and should be avoided by anyone who has any pretence of being environmentally conscious.

Can you answer the question i asked please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You were Initially worried about costs , now it’s carbon. Time is money , how long with it have taking them to travel the alternative way? What’s the per diem difference? 225 euro in The Netherlands, ferry times may have resulted in an extra day.

If going land bridge the uk rate is 140 pounds.

And you have continued to fail to understand that this trip could result in the savings of millions of tonnes of carbon.

As the saying goes you need to spend money to make money.

No work it out yourself if you want to get an idea of specific values. You can do it as easily as I can.

I said from the start the issue was with both money and carbon emissions.

I don't expect any positive change to result from the trip no. Not ignoring the assertion, I'm just skeptical. Maybe they can study the great public transport infrastructure they have. Ours is ****. The trains can't run at max speed because the tracks are too ****. The tram in Dublin is disjointed and that was in development for ages. Do you think a few days in The Netherlands would have changed that? Of course not because the issues are systemic, not because we don't have access to the best practice, but because we do stupid **** that's popular and met with little resistance. The same will go for cycling infrastructure.

The same people going who just decided against pedestrianising O'Connell St. Instead they are replacing part of the pavement with a cycle lane. The result will be an unusable cycle lane that people walk in. Pointless project. Was this decision informed by best practice? No it was informed by pandering to businesses in the city centre who want people to be able to stop their cars outside their shops.

• Advertisement

Ah, so you refuse to back up a statement you made with some facts. Fair enough I won't bother trying to engage you in reasonable discussion in the future.

Ah, so you refuse to back up a statement you made with some facts. Fair enough I won't bother trying to engage you in reasonable discussion in the future.
    I have backed it up with facts. I linked you a thing explaining why ferries are much greener than air travel. Public transport is obviously preferable to flying. You want to set me a homework assignment to pick holes in, not have reasonable discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The same people going who just decided against pedestrianising O'Connell St. Instead they are replacing part of the pavement with a cycle lane. The result will be an unusable cycle lane that people walk in. Pointless project. Was this decision informed by best practice? No it was informed by pandering to businesses in the city centre who want people to be able to stop their cars outside their shops.

From this trip they may see it’s a bad idea and see an alternative way of thinking

ted1 wrote: »
    From this trip they may see it’s a bad idea and see an alternative way of thinking
    I suppose if you're hoping they'll have such a profound shift in their way of thinking after a few days away then somewhere where psychotropic drugs are readily [and relatively safely] available is your best bet.

Or if they have a bad time on them they might gain human insight relevant to mental health week. Win win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It’s only a junket if you’re not on it as an esteemed Cork politician once told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Wonder will there be any engineers or scientists going?

Advertisement