Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council paying off gangland criminals in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It happens on most large sites, it's a cost of doing business.
    It has to be happening at the children's hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

You just need to walk down Moore Street where for the last 30 plus years they have been openly selling illegal cigarettes.

Every Christmas, licences are granted to the same cohert, to tout their crap on Henry Street. Stall after stall selling fake designer landfill.

Rotten to the Core. The whole farcical charade stinks big time. And we all stand by.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A cost of doing business in Southern Italy I might have thought, not here.

Jokeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Chinasea wrote: »
    You just need to walk down Moore Street where for the last 30 plus years they have been openly selling illegal cigarettes.

Every Christmas, licences are granted to the same cohert, to tout their crap on Henry Street. Stall after stall selling fake designer landfill.

Market stall traders selling knock off goods is hardly comparable to organized criminal gangs involved in murder armed robbery and tiger kidnappings and the like.

would you cop onto yourself. no one forces anyone to buy from market traders on Moore st, and they pay for the licenses they get- which is a contribution to society.

IMO places like Moore st and the liberties are part and parcel of Dublin, its heritage and culture. Its not for everyone, but they have their place. Where as organised criminal gangs belong in prison. they have no place in decent society.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

Ah come on now, its probably only a monthly holding payment, until some of the 4 bed showhomes with larger gardens and designer fittings are ready to hand over to local 'community leaders' and their families.. /s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Market stall traders selling knock off goods is hardly comparable to organized criminal gangs involved in murder armed robbery and tiger kidnappings and the like.

would you cop onto yourself. no one forces anyone to buy from market traders on Moore st, and they pay for the licenses they get- which is a contribution to society.

IMO places like Moore st and the liberties are part and parcel of Dublin, its heritage and culture. Its not for everyone, but they have their place. Where as organised criminal gangs belong in prison. they have no place in decent society.

So you think those sweetie pies selling illegal cigarettes, fake designer gear etc. are perfectly innocent tax paying law abiding individuals.

The place stinks all round. Intimidating, corrupted, kip.

Nothing whatsoever charming about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I know businesses forced to do it which is literally criminal but this isn't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Happens on many many sites in Dublin and - many more outside of it, whether it's local residents being paid off to stfu or local scumheads being paid off to stop "vandals" (extortion)

It's par for the course* - Are these companies supposed to just say no and accept being intimidated, attacked & burned out of their project? Much easier to pay €1,500 a week to some scummer than to lose all of your plant, machinery, staff & time on a project.

*It also reduces security costs

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How much money was actually handed over? Are we talking 2 years worth, 2 weeks worth? Really poor reporting in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This complete standard practice on building site in Dublin, Limerick and anywhere within 39 miles of the border.

Naive to blame the site management.

In one instance I know of Lidl refused to pay. Week before opening every window in store smashed.

I had scrotes selling consaw they knicked back to us. I've had the site fencing knicked. Site security assaulted. Copper wire pulled back out of installations. A jeep knicked. The pump out of a roller knicked. A roller knicked. All timber on site heaped and burned. Toilets burned. Several lockups broken into. GPS damaged. New concrete damaged.......

Pay the local scum / RA off.. no problems at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Forgot teleporter knicked,

In all above guards were helpful and useless.

Forgot teleporter knicked,

In all above guards were helpful and useless.

To be fair to the Gardaí, what in the hell can they do? have been in your exact position and the best and only way is to pay the ransom. every time.

IME in the borderlands, the vandalism doesn't even have to happen, a few quiet words was all we ever got, and we ponied up every time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

The wife of one of the men mentioned in the article is a well known Dublin solicitor creaming it via legal aid aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Was down as 'fence management ':eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

This complete standard practice on building site in Dublin, Limerick and anywhere within 39 miles of the border.

Naive to blame the site management.

In one instance I know of Lidl refused to pay. Week before opening every window in store smashed.

I had scrotes selling consaw they knicked back to us. I've had the site fencing knicked. Site security assaulted. Copper wire pulled back out of installations. A jeep knicked. The pump out of a roller knicked. A roller knicked. All timber on site heaped and burned. Toilets burned. Several lockups broken into. GPS damaged. New concrete damaged.......

Pay the local scum / RA off.. no problems at all.

Staggering and deeply depressing. Ripe for an RTE investigates, if RTE were bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭seanino

They should lie and wait and ambush the feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

boombang wrote: »
    Staggering and deeply depressing. Ripe for an RTE the Guards investigates, if RTE the Guards were bothered.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

boombang wrote: »
    Staggering and deeply depressing. Ripe for an RTE investigates, if RTE were bothered.

good idea, they can also investigate their own outrageous theft while they are at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Idbatterim wrote: »
    good idea, they can also investigate their own outrageous theft while they are at it!

what theft would this be?
    have you reported this theft to the police so they can investigate it?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the 500k plus to ryan tubridy etc, putting their presenters and crew up in a dublin hotel before the storm lorenzo even hit, because of a bit of wind and rain, fcuk them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Lottie Ryan. Damning evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This has been reported in the a few times over the years in the media , **** heads getting paid not to break into building site ,seems to be pretty common at social housing sites

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the 500k plus to ryan tubridy etc, putting their presenters and crew up in a dublin hotel before the storm lorenzo even hit, because of a bit of wind and rain, fcuk them!

ah, so rte were not involved in any thefts then.
    that's grand so.
    a company spending money on things you disagree with is not theft.
    anyway, the government and gardai need to get a grip on this whole problem. round up and arrest these criminal gangs, arrest those who are operating the protection rackets, arrest those who are involved in vandelizing the sites, and lock them all up.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Back on topic lads please. This is pretty shocking to me and I've worked on sites and never heard of this kind of thing (plenty of traveller related theft of tools and wiring though).

I mean as soon as someone comes threatening companies for "security" money the guards should immediately arrest & charge them. How it even got to this stage could only happen if the cops are getting a cut also. And the corruption must go higher up than that if DCC are involved.
    How this isnt the top thread right now I dont know.

purifol0 wrote: »
    Back on topic lads please. This is pretty shocking to me and I've worked on sites and never heard of this kind of thing (plenty of traveller related theft of tools and wiring though).

I mean as soon as someone comes threatening companies for "security" money the guards should immediately arrest & charge them. How it even got to this stage could only happen if the cops are getting a cut also. And the corruption must go higher up than that if DCC are involved.
    How this isnt the top thread right now I dont know.

You would need medical attention if you saw who gets the real backhanders around construction projects - if you are so surprised by this revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Paid for parking outside an inner Dublin building site back in the noughties. €20 a week was far cheaper than the on street ticket machines, and my car was far safer. Two scrotes would come in every Monday morning into the site canteen to collect the money and number plates.

Protection is as old as the hills, why anyone is surprised is more surprising than the act itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Who knows how high?

My good old Limerick city friends may recall M&A Kelly Security. Quite the mini-empire around town they had - signs everywhere.

Dear old M is no longer with us but he got himself voted in as one of the city's elders and he bestrode city hall like a colossus.

It's the script of a low-rent mob movie but it really happened in an Irish city. I wouldn't be looking down my nose at S. Italy for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I'm shocked anyone is shocked by this. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I see people disagreeing with this in the thread.

I’m yet to work on a Dublin city centre site where this doesn’t happen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

You would need medical attention if you saw who gets the real backhanders around construction projects - if you are so surprised by this revelation.

White collar crime and county councilors taking backhanders doesnt surprise me one bit, but this is just thuggery based on force & intimidation and last time I checked the Gards get paid a hell of a salary to deal with exactly this.

Advertisement