Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council paying off gangland criminals in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I'm not surprised , I've worked on a good few sites in Dublin and heard a lot of stories from older lads that during 80s and 90s regarding money been paid over to the IRA and other gangs to stop sites from getting robbed or delayed, time is money after all . A big security company in Dublin is run by a former Provo.

At the end of the day it's a lot easier paying a gang a couple of hundred euro a week with peace of mind that everything will be there in the morning . You're not insured if you don't have security . Some places in Dublin you need proper heads not Mickey mouse security guards cos there's a lot of little bast*ards in some areas who loved robbing a wrecking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This gentleman's company looked after a lot of sites during the tiger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eamon_Dunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

There was one local house beside a site I was on that got new doors and windows from the same builder doing the site. Their official line was that it was for putting the feet of the scaffolding in their garden but I never seen any scaffolding near their garden.

The older residents from the street on the other side of the estate protested outside the whole time but nobody gave them the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seems this story is rolling on now with the revelations that Simon Coveney, Eoghan Murphy and Catherine Byrne were all written to informing them that there was a protection racket going on. Of course they are claiming that they didnt know which seems to be a new trend when caught red handed at incompetence in Fine Gael. Basically blame it on your staff to get free political cover. Spineless incompetency.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is this normal in other western countries?

If it isn't it's just another demonstration of how we don't have a modern, fit for purpose police force.

No justice system either.

• Advertisement

I find the political pointscoring funny on this one.

I've been involved in the management of sites for 20 years and I've had colleagues down through those years with experience back to the 60s.
    This has been the way since at least the 80s. In that time we've have FF, FG, Lab, Green, PD, SD all in power.

An old boss of mine always harped on about paying off "The King of the Travellers" over near Ballycoolin / Dunsink when working anywhere from Blanch to the Airport.

The Gardai just never care.
    I mentioned earlier about a teleporter stolen off one of my sites (was down South Tip)
    It was recovered after being used in an attempted robbery.
    I had it back within 20 mins of it being found.
    About 5 Gardai looking into it. "Wanna take any prints or anything?" .... "Ah take it away lad."
    Same site had 2 or 3 other incidents and 2 phantom claims early on.

In Meath we were tormented.
    Our massive Lativan security guard demanded a 2nd guard for a tiny site.
    You're talking ex-army, neck the size of a bull and tats everywhere.
    Came in one morning and the 2 boys quit.... had a few visitors overnight who knew where they lived.
    Went to Gardai "Not much we can do I'm afraid"

As for working near the border. Good lord.
    Stacked about 30 ton of steel on site one day.
    Left outside security hut.
    I mean they'd need to lift it out over the security hut with a hiab.
    Come in at 7 to a petrified security man. About 20 calls gone to Gardai.....they sauntered over after morning shift change to see to story.

We all went to tea another day bar one man. On return he was sitting in the office, his jeep was gone. He just shrugged, said there were 4 of them.

In any of those cases we got told who needed to be paid for a quiet life.......

I'm full sure there are plenty of farmers with similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It the normalising of that is wrong as well as it actually happening the fact that project manager or site manager has an almost wink wink, what can you do, macho bs, almost half admiring them for it attitude is at the heart of it as well.

mariaalice wrote: »
    It the normalising of that is wrong as well as it actually happening the fact that project manager or site manager has an almost wink wink, what can you do, macho bs, almost half admiring them for it attitude is at the heart of it as well.

Believe me most site managers want nothing to do with this ****.

No option when getting hounded and staff at risk. Gardai no interest.

Advertisement