Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building an extension with imported parts

Options
  • 09-10-2019 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice we are planning on extending/ renovating a house. The extension would be fairly small roughly 10-15 sqm adding a second story above a kitchen. I'd be trying to price it roughly the cost of getting plumbed and wired but the rest is all mine to do. Gonna add a bathroom and a walk in wardrobe.

Now the plan is to get all the parts from poland sent over in truck for me to renovate/ redecorate the house like doors, kitchen suite, bathroom suite, floors and furniture. Can anyway suggest a realistic expection of a small extension added upstairs and if it possible to use parts from abroad?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice we are planning on extending/ renovating a house. The extension would be fairly small roughly 10-15 sqm adding a second story above a kitchen. I'd be trying to price it roughly the cost of getting plumbed and wired but the rest is all mine to do. Gonna add a bathroom and a walk in wardrobe.

Now the plan is to get all the parts from poland sent over in truck for me to renovate/ redecorate the house like doors, kitchen suite, bathroom suite, floors and furniture. Can anyway suggest a realistic expection of a small extension added upstairs and if it possible to use parts from abroad?

I'll assume you know you require Planning Permission yeah.

After that you need to comply with our Building Regulations. So the materials your order need to contain a CE Mark, harmonised standard, Aggrement Cert et etc

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭skidmarkoner

kceire wrote: »
    I'll assume you know you require Planning Permission yeah.

After that you need to comply with our Building Regulations. So the materials your order need to contain a CE Mark, harmonised standard, Aggrement Cert et etc

Yes I understand the legalitys around alot of this planning permission only applys to an extension over 20sqm do this wouldn't be in that category. Most of the floors and doors on the market around Ireland come from mainland Europe as is but I'm just wondering if the likes of the showers and toilets are compatable with irish houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

I know a lad who had polish builders build his house. He went over once or twice n basically only the concrete, blocks and timber were bought here.
    Slates, fascia, windows n everything internal was polish. E3500 for an artic over iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes I understand the legalitys around alot of this planning permission only applys to an extension over 20sqm do this wouldn't be in that category. Most of the floors and doors on the market around Ireland come from mainland Europe as is but I'm just wondering if the likes of the showers and toilets are compatable with irish houses.

Upstairs extensions have more than the 20 Sqm restriction , some councils Insist you come in 2m. From the boundary. Which renders most semi Detached or detached with small gaps useless

“ Any above ground floor extension shall be a distance of not less than 2 metres from any party boundary.”

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/planning/planning-faqs

ted1 wrote: »
    Upstairs extensions have more than the 20 Sqm restriction , some councils Insist you come in 2m. From the boundary. Which renders most semi Detached or detached with small gaps useless

“ Any above ground floor extension shall be a distance of not less than 2 metres from any party boundary.”

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/planning/planning-faqs

+1 and that’s all councils that’s require this.
    It’s an exempted development regulation that applies throughout Ireland.
    Other rules then such as height, window placement and how big the ground floor can be too.

• Advertisement

The idea is to add an extension on the end some of the neighbours in the estate allready have similar like this one. Not sure if they applied for pp or not but sereval houses have similar style extensions aswell.

If anyone can give a rough estimate of what this would cost it'd be great. Again I'm gonna do all the intererior just need somone to do the connections so I can do the inside myself.

enricoh wrote: »
    I know a lad who had polish builders build his house. He went over once or twice n basically only the concrete, blocks and timber were bought here.
    Slates, fascia, windows n everything internal was polish. E3500 for an artic over iirc.

How long ago was this? I was considering the same but not sure if it plausible to get a team over for the kind of work I want done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The idea is to add an extension on the end some of the neighbours in the estate allready have similar like this one. Not sure if they applied for pp or not but sereval houses have similar style extensions aswell.

If anyone can give a rough estimate of what this would cost it'd be great. Again I'm gonna do all the intererior just need somone to do the connections so I can do the inside myself.
    That would require planning.

And *not sure if truth but I have been told my an architect that the house on the left would struggle as the shadow affects the neighbour, the house on the right has a lane beside them that takes the Sadie

ted1 wrote: »
    That would require planning.

And *not sure if truth but I have been told my an architect that the house on the left would struggle as the shadow affects the neighbour, the house on the right has a lane beside them that takes the Sadie

BRE basic 25/45 degree test will determine how far you can come out at first floor level nowadays.

Especially Dublin City Council, they seem to be working strictly to this based on a few extensions lodged over the last 2 years. It would appear the new crop of younger Planners are more aware of these guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Those test id imagine make alot of city developments quite tricky.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Those test id imagine make alot of city developments quite tricky.

Yes, especially at a time where the LA and government are promoting the Living City Initiative. I had a refusal recently, but gone to the ABP now as I feel the refusal was unwarranted.

How long ago was this? I was considering the same but not sure if it plausible to get a team over for the kind of work I want done.

2 years ago. Dunno if you would get a crew over tbh. Polands economy booming apparently. These were lads living here already.

2 years ago. Dunno if you would get a crew over tbh. Polands economy booming apparently. These were lads living here already.

Ye times are good im over visiting family atm but people are still working for penny's my father in law is working same job as Ireland averaging out at 1/4 of what he made in Ireland.

Ye times are good im over visiting family atm but people are still working for penny's my father in law is working same job as Ireland averaging out at 1/4 of what he made in Ireland.

Doable so, thought wages had improved more. the lad i know put a mobile home in for them on the site. Saved them a good few quid in renting a house n zero commuting.
    Having a contact over there is half the battle.

Doable so, thought wages had improved more. the lad i know put a mobile home in for them on the site. Saved them a good few quid in renting a house n zero commuting.
    Having a contact over there is half the battle.

Ye it's handy. I was in hardware store today the equivalent of say b&q or woodies and most of the stock is dirt cheap compared to the Irish counterparts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You'd probably get everything you need into a shipping container?

Advertisement