Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I mad to go abroad for a few fillings

• 09-10-2019 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

So I went for a check up last week for the first time in years. I need to get 4 or 5 fillings which will cost me €600 .

Would it be crazy to go abroad for this as that just seems very expensive in Ireland?

Wondering other peoples opinion. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could go to the North, where prices are a fair bit lower.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

it depends on how valuable your time is TBH. I think its bonkers, and you have no comeback if anything goes wrong or any adjustments are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ricko187 wrote: »
    So I went for a check up last week for the first time in years. I need to get 4 or 5 fillings which will cost me €600 .

Would it be crazy to go abroad for this as that just seems very expensive in Ireland?

Wondering other peoples opinion. Thanks!
    I'd agree with others it's probably a bit extreme. Can't you arrange them over a period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Try Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

Just get them done in stages op.
    Any dentist will allow you do that.
    You don't have to get them all done at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Are you in pain?

The reason I ask is the last time I was at a dentist in 2001 to fix a broken tooth, I was told I need fillings. I was not in any pain so I didn't bother.

My teeth have never bothered me since.

I feel dentists sometimes scare people into getting things done that they really don't need. People can be very paranoid about their teeth falling out!!

Of course the decision is yours at the end of the day. As a previous poster said, I'd try the north before going overseas.

Are you in pain?

The reason I ask is the last time I was at a dentist in 2001 to fix a broken tooth, I was told I need fillings. I was not in any pain so I didn't bother.

My teeth have never bothered me since.

I feel dentists sometimes scare people into getting things done that they really don't need. People can be very paranoid about their teeth falling out!!

Of course the decision is yours at the end of the day. As a previous poster said, I'd try the north before going overseas.

You would be amazed the number of people who have their teeth examined and don’t know they have cavities because they aren’t experiencing pain, that is why intraoral cameras are invaluable, you can show the patient the cavities on screen. Also, it’s not uncommon to see people in severe pain with holes in teeth that they were told about previously, we get the old “it wasn’t hurting so I didn’t bother getting the filling”.

Identitying cavities and informing the patient they need treatment isn’t “scaring” them Ito getting dental treatment, it would be negligent not to identify and inform.

You haven’t been to a dentist in 18 years? Gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Dav010 wrote:
    You haven’t been to a dentist in 18 years? Gross.

It's just a personal decision. I'm almost 50 and never had a filling and thankfully all my teeth are still there bar the broken one and they have never bothered me. I'm not hurting anyone by not going.

I'm not saying I'm a dental miracle by any means but I do brush regularly. I don't think I'm gross.

Obviously the op should make their own descision and if they are more comfortable getting them in, go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Shop around in Ireland.
    At 600 for 4 or 5 fillings that’s 120-150 per flg. There are definitely clinics that will do flgs for cheaper than that..
    Even though you pay for what you get so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I need nine fillings.
    (stupid of me not going dentist for years)

I have no intention of going abroad.

I got two the other day, and will get the rest over the next few months/year in my local dentist.

Im glad he told me I need nine fillings, he said if I didn't go for another few years my mouth would be a disaster zone, cavities etc and teeth turning black due to decay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement