Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identity theft how exposed am I?

• 09-10-2019 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

I received a cheque from social welfare about a month ago just after I started a new job, it wasn't much not even a full weeks so I left it as I didn't need the money or was going to be near my bank, anyways I had a day off and was going out to where I'd be near my bank, so I put the cheque in my pocket and cycled up to where my local branch is. When I got there I put my hand in my pocket and the cheque was gone, it had fallen out at some point. The problem isn't the money though, the problem is that on the cheque for some reason is my pps number and my name and address, (why they have to be on a cheque I don't know). I went to the sw office and told them and they said they would cancel it and issue a new one, but I'm only really concerned with the information that's on the cheque itself. I went up and back the route I came twice to see if I could spot it, but it was a windy day and there was no sign of it. The best case scenario is that it blew down a shore, or into a pile of rubbish and/or was destroyed in the rain, but if someone found the cheque and used the ppsn and name and address, how exposed am I? Can they take out loans and credit cards in my name? and if so, how will I know? Are there any steps I can take to limit the damage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

They would need to provide proof of ID/Address for loans in addition to a PPS number, the cheque would not be sufficient for this

its all a bit dramatic OP, i wouldnt be so worried

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

gwalk wrote: »
    its all a but dramatic OP, i wouldnt be so worried

it's my pps number and name and address, I know it was careless of me to lose it but it's out there and I don't think it's "dramatic" to be worried about what can be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

El_Bee wrote: »
    it's my pps number and name and address, I know it was careless of me to lose it but it's out there and I don't think it's "dramatic" to be worried about what can be done with it.

its very dramatic,

yes someone is going to steal your identity and ruin your credit score over you losing a peice of paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

.... if someone found the cheque and used the ppsn and name and address, how exposed am I?

As exposed as a motor cyclist in full leather, boots and helmet.
    Can they take out loans and credit cards in my name? and if so, how will I know? Are there any steps I can take to limit the damage?

A prospective fraudster who found your cheque doesn't know your date of birth, can't produce a recent bank statement and utility bill with your name and address on it and cannot produce an identity document like a passport or driving licence with your photo on it. They need all of those to open a bank account or to get a loan.

Youre getting worked up about nothing.

Advertisement