Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two people killed with submachine gun outside synagogue in Halle, Germany

Options
  • 09-10-2019 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭

Another sad story coming this time from Germany.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

Religion of peace or white supremacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Linky
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germany-synagogue-shooting-latest-live-today-dead-grenade-shooter-a9148811.html
    A killer is on the run after shooting multiple people at a Synagogue in Germany, police say.

Multiple people are dead and injured following the attack in Halle, a city in the east of Germany.

Police warned the attacker had "fled" and that people should stay inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Awful news

Taken from the same article

"There may have been another attack in nearby Landsberg, according to multiple German news outlets, citing police.

Further gunshots were fired after the shooting in the nearby town, according to Germany's Focus Magazine and other reports."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Danke Merkel

The hell is wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Danke Merkel

Reports say it was a man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Religion of peace or white supremacy?

A cowardly scumbag is all we can safely say at this time, though when one hears of an attack on a Synagogue, the most rational assumption would be a white supremacist but we'll find out in due course.

Statistically speaking mainland Europe is safer now than ever before, but with each of these attacks it certainly doesn't feel like it... won't stop me from my frequent travels to the continent though, F**K these cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

A cowardly scumbag is all we can safely say at this time, though when one hears of an attack on a Synagogue, the most rational assumption would be a white supremacist but we'll find out in due course.

Statistically speaking mainland Europe is safer now than ever before, but with each of these attacks it certainly doesn't feel like it... won't stop me from my frequent travels to the continent though, F**K these cowards.

I could also argue that statistically speaking there is now a far greater chance of being mowed down on the street by a deranged lunatic in a stolen truck, slaughtered in a nightclub or slaughtered at a kiddies concert than before.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

These people have mental issues. We see it with the ISIS wanna be's, the white supremacists and Incels etc. Basically it's people with issues picking their poison as it were.

These people have mental issues. We see it with the ISIS wanna be's, the white supremacists and Incels etc. Basically it's people with issues picking their poison as it were.

Nothing to do with hateful ideologies ?

Mental issues is too convenient an excuse and actually insulting to people with real mental issues who dn't go out and slaughter others who don't believe in the same things or happen to come from different group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

in all fairness theres FAR more chance of coming a cropper in London due to a random knife attack than from a terrorist on the continent.

Last year 130 killed in London, this year 110 so far, yet these 2 (potentially) terrorist deaths, seemingly targeted at a Synagogue where tourists wouldnt be anyhow, will probably scare more people than the mass random carnage in London.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Couldn't even manage a link in your OP?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

BBC Report saying that it was "near" a synagogue , One person was shot in a Kebab shop according to the report.
    witness told German n-tv news that a gunman in camouflage opened fire with an assault rifle on a Doner kebab shop.

"The man came up to the Doner shop, he threw something like a grenade, it didn't explode, and he opened fire with an assault rifle. The man behind me must have died... I hid in the toilet," the witness told a TV reporter near the scene.

German media report that shots were also fired near a synagogue in Halle, but the details have not been confirmed.

I was only in Halle a few weeks ago...

jmayo wrote: »

Mental issues is too convenient an excuse and actually insulting to people with real mental issues who dn't go out and slaughter others who don't believe in the same things or happen to come from different group.

Everything to do with it but you won't be signing up to ISIS or calling yourself an Incel I'd imagine?

Nothing convenient about it. Reasonable people don't murder others over an ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

PostWoke wrote: »

And yet most of us had the intelligence to discern the attack to which the OP was referring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

on german news its saying that the local jewish community representative confirms that the attacker tried to break into the synagogue

Aparantly today theres Jom Kippur prayers/ celebrations, a very important jewish festival, so the synagogue would be very well attended.

Everything to do with it but you won't be signing up to ISIS or calling yourself an Incel I'd imagine?

Nothing convenient about it. Reasonable people don't murder others over an ideology.

Yes it is a convenient excuse.
    Very reasonable people have committed unbelievable atrocities given the chance.
    All you have to do is look at history of say the 20th century in Europe to grasp that.
    Yes the psychopaths and sociopaths commit the worse offenses, but other seemingly sane reasonable people can join in pretty quick given the right circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

PostWoke wrote: »
    The title of the thread has a 100% google match if you cared to search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Synagogue and a Kebab shop targeted suggests a white nationalist (or a dunk). If so some will be happy enough with that here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

jmayo wrote: »

Hateful personalities, maybe? I'm also uncomfortable about generalised 'mental issues' being trotted out as some kind of explanation for attacks carried out by people who - whether they're Islamic supremacists or white supremacists - always seem to fit a similar profile. But the ideology is secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Synagogue and a Kebab shop targeted suggests a white nationalist (or a dunk). If so some will be happy enough with that here ;)

No i think the loons on these threads love when attacks are carried out by Muslims so they can drop their told you so and religion of peace and mutti Merkel bombs. Theyll be disappointed if its a white guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Hateful personalities, maybe? I'm also uncomfortable about generalised 'mental issues' being trotted out as some kind of explanation for attacks carried out by people who - whether they're Islamic supremacists or white supremacists - always seem to fit a similar profile. But the ideology is secondary.

I think a lot of the time you've people prone to this behaviour looking to get wrapped up into something. We've always had it. It could be more acceptable outlets like the army but these people are another level. You can't get laid, mow down innocent people in a van. ****ty upbringing/bullied, killing spree in a school.
    It's certainly not as simple as blaming ideologies unless the ideology tells you to kill and you lack your own will and moral compass.
    If the Pope start telling people to kill, you'd have a vast majority telling him were to go I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Some video footage here.

https://www.bild.de/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Frightening looking at those images of the man on the street with a gun. I'm fond of Germany and have always regarded it as a lovely and safe place, to see some scumbag roaming and firing a gun is shocking to be honest. It really hammers home why guns are banned and should only be restricted to law enforcement officers, that individuals can so easily and indiscriminately take lives is so dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

If you are capable of doing that you have mental issues .... period

You can leave it to the experts as to what kind of issues ... but sick in the head definitely

Know some people in Germany so always get a skip in my heart when hearing news like this from there. Halle is no where near them though. Horrible news - as all news of public shootings are!
    It really hammers home why guns are banned

But they aren't? :confused: While German gun laws are relatively strict - gun ownership is widespread. Most small towns in some areas of Germany have Gun Clubs - which often run things like restaurants in those small towns as part of the community to raise funds for the club. It is quite integrated into the society there it seems. The last count I remember seeing was that there was somewhere between 5 and 6 million fire arms legally owned by the public there. Something like 1 million of those were inherited or collectors items and 1.5million of them connected with shooting clubs.
    should only be restricted to law enforcement officers

Hardly. There are plenty of other people who can and should have them too. There are good arguments for allowing hunters - certain farmers - private security and so forth for example. There are also hobby owners - clubs - ranges and the like.

Here in Ireland I have a friend who has access for reasons nothing to do with law. Can not give specifics alas as I do not like to identify people I know personally. But I have had the chance to learn to use some weapons from him and my 9 year old daughter has gotten great training on them too. She can load aim shoot and hit a target using a certain kind of rifle in under 10 seconds. It is impressive to watch. My son is 5 so not quite ready yet - but I would like to teach him the same skills and respect for weaponry my daughter has gained.

I am on the side of most arguments for restrictions and regulation of weaponry. I have never been much on the side of "no one but the cops" arguments myself though. That has always felt knee jerk to me. Clearly though you can compare two societies with "widespread" gun ownership - say Germany and the US - and see massive differences in the effects of that. Showing that mere ownership tends not to be the main issue there. It is above my pay grade to know what is I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

If it's a white supremacist it shows that European Jewry faces threats from both Islamism and the traditional enemy of Nazism. Dreadful that Jewish communities in Germany are not immune having already faced attacks in France and Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Hopefully they'll catch/stop the second suspect before he/she can do anymore harm.
    Europe is probably is the safest its been in a while but it still seems these events are almost becoming less of a shock at this stage, I think people are getting jaded by them which is very sad.
    I've never wanted a gun but if I was on that street today I'd have wanted one for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Know some people in Germany so always get a skip in my heart when hearing news like this from there. Halle is no where near them though. Horrible news - as all news of public shootings are!

But they aren't? :confused: While German gun laws are relatively strict - gun ownership is widespread. Most small towns in some areas of Germany have Gun Clubs - which often run things like restaurants in those small towns as part of the community to raise funds for the club. It is quite integrated into the society there it seems. The last count I remember seeing was that there was somewhere between 5 and 6 million fire arms legally owned by the public there. Something like 1 million of those were inherited or collectors items and 1.5million of them connected with shooting clubs.

Hardly. There are plenty of other people who can and should have them too. There are good arguments for allowing hunters - certain farmers - private security and so forth for example. There are also hobby owners - clubs - ranges and the like.

Here in Ireland I have a friend who has access for reasons nothing to do with law. Can not give specifics alas as I do not like to identify people I know personally. But I have had the chance to learn to use some weapons from him and my 9 year old daughter has gotten great training on them too. She can load aim shoot and hit a target using a certain kind of rifle in under 10 seconds. It is impressive to watch. My son is 5 so not quite ready yet - but I would like to teach him the same skills and respect for weaponry my daughter has gained.

I am on the side of most arguments for restrictions and regulation of weaponry. I have never been much on the side of "no one but the cops" arguments myself though. That has always felt knee jerk to me. Clearly though you can compare two societies with "widespread" gun ownership - say Germany and the US - and see massive differences in the effects of that. Showing that mere ownership tends not to be the main issue there. It is above my pay grade to know what is I guess.

This is disturbing to think hobbyists with no ongoing checks or demonstrable responsibility or intelligence are handling guns and learning how to fire them. Self-assessed responsibility is too risky and by the mere fact of giving a gun to a nine year old, there is clear evidence of irresponsibility on the part of those who possess the guns in your situation, warranting reporting to the appropriate authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

weisses wrote: »
    If you are capable of doing that you have mental issues .... period

You can leave it to the experts as to what kind of issues ... but sick in the head definitely

That's a cop out though.

Advertisement