Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission?

• 09-10-2019 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Does one need to obtain Planning Permission to put a window into the side wall (downstairs) of an existing house?

I am not talking about building or extending anything - it is just that the existing room is very dark and gloomy and has always been like that.

Outside the proposed window, there is a lawn area of about 12 foot in width - then a side wall about four foot six in height - and outside that again, a footpath with a road running alongside.

I realise that at the end of the day, the only people who can definitively say what can or cannot be done are the planning people, but before going to the trouble of asking them - am I already wasting my time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Does one need to obtain Planning Permission to put a window into the side wall (downstairs) of an existing house?

I am not talking about building or extending anything - it is just that the existing room is very dark and gloomy and has always been like that.

Outside the proposed window, there is a lawn area of about 12 foot in width - then a side wall about four foot six in height - and outside that again, a footpath with a road running alongside.

I realise that at the end of the day, the only people who can definitively say what can or cannot be done are the planning people, but before going to the trouble of asking them - am I already wasting my time?

If it will be seen from the road you're better off applying

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Your last paragraph is the answer really. Call or send an email to the councils planning dept. They're the ones who know the answer and it's about as much trouble to contact them as it is to post on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

If it is more than 1 metre from a boundary and does not materially alter the front elevation of the dwelling then planning permission is not required as per Article 4(1)h of the Planning and Development regulations 2001, which are available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 charleshardin

Thanks very much for all the replies.

I had emailed them some time back, but got no reply - so I will go into Limerick and see if I can meet somebody.

I had heard that there was something in the Planning and Development regulations 2001, but when I looked it up, it did indeed read that "any window proposed at ground level in any such extension shall not be less than 1 metre from the boundary it faces".

However, I could only find this in the section dealing with extensions being built at the rear of a house, wheras my plan envisaged buidinng nothing, instead putting a window in the existing wall - but at the side of the house.

Anyway, I will look at the Regulations again (it is one very large document!), and then perhaps, armed with that, I will go in to see them.

Thanks again to everybody who took the troulbe to reply.

Thanks very much for all the replies.

I had emailed them some time back, but got no reply - so I will go into Limerick and see if I can meet somebody.

I had heard that there was something in the Planning and Development regulations 2001, but when I looked it up, it did indeed read that "any window proposed at ground level in any such extension shall not be less than 1 metre from the boundary it faces".

However, I could only find this in the section dealing with extensions being built at the rear of a house, wheras my plan envisaged buidinng nothing, instead putting a window in the existing wall - but at the side of the house.

Anyway, I will look at the Regulations again (it is one very large document!), and then perhaps, armed with that, I will go in to see them.

Thanks again to everybody who took the troulbe to reply.

It’s exempt all day long. Meant Planning and Development Act 2000, article 4 (1) h

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

I have now seen the relavant section which says that exempted developemnt includes development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;

Armed with that - and a clear conscience - (OK, armed with that anyway), I will go forth and give battle.

Tjanks again.

Thanks for that.

I have now seen the relavant section which says that exempted developemnt includes development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;

Armed with that - and a clear conscience - (OK, armed with that anyway), I will go forth and give battle.

Tjanks again.

And don’t believe old wives tales such as, if it can be seen from the road it needs planning or if you can see over a wall it’s exempt.

Thanks for the information.

I will discount all old wives tales!

Advertisement