Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    It'll look almost identical on both systems. They have power in different areas but will amount to more or less the same thing in end user terms

Pretty much.

In exact terms, the Series X will look better, it is going to be an appreciable amount faster, but I'd argue that it will be so close that it won't matter. If someone is actually worried about one console being a few fps better than the other, then I'd recommend they get a PC instead of a console.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mr.S wrote: »
    November release date for the Xbox Series X but Halo Infinite delayed until 2021.

https://t.co/mVkdz7HaQV

I’m really struggling to find a reason to get a Series X at launch without any decent titles launching with it.

Wonder if they'll drop Xbox One support for it....

As to getting a console at launch, I can't remember the last time I was truly excited by any launch title, they all seem like tech demos mostly.

Absolute fail IMO

Very disappointing from Microsoft

Constant letdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

CatInABox wrote: »
    Wonder if they'll drop Xbox One support for it....

As to getting a console at launch, I can't remember the last time I was truly excited by any launch title, they all seem like tech demos mostly.

Bought Nintendo Switch as a day 1. Zelda BOTW as a launch title was something.

The press release makes it seem that backwards compatibility will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for Series X.

If I get a decent trade in for my One X, I'll be there on day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Mr.S wrote: »
    True, launch titles are never amazing but a big fail for Microsoft not to launch Halo alongside the Series X.

A reflection of the muted reaction Halo Infinite got in July? Might be better to push back and work on it rather than to make the launch all about Halo reviews.

TBH, Halo isn't my thing. Never really clicked with me.

• Advertisement

druss wrote: »
    Bought Nintendo Switch as a day 1. Zelda BOTW as a launch title was something.

The press release makes it seem that backwards compatibility will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for Series X.

If I get a decent trade in for my One X, I'll be there on day 1.

Ah yeah, that would have been great. For whatever reason, the Switch launch just passed me by, didn't even register with now. Made up for lost time with it now, but yeah, I missed out on that launch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

druss wrote: »
    A reflection of the muted reaction Halo Infinite got in July? Might be better to push back and work on it rather than to make the launch all about Halo reviews.

TBH, Halo isn't my thing. Never really clicked with me.

I think I've played about 2hrs of the Halo franchise. Bad timings me thinks. Still, should be a showboat launch title, big fail on their behalf. Someone said Fortnite won't be ready either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Previously Halo was the only reason I even owned an Xbox One, though now that it's on PC I probably won't buy either console. This delay though is huge and will hurt console sales, which were likely to trail well behind PS5 as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Not great, but not surprising after the reaction to the demo

Don't really have a reason to pick up either console until next year now, strange start to a new gen

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

maximoose wrote: »
    Not great, but not surprising after the reaction to the demo

Don't really have a reason to pick up either console until next year now, strange start to a new gen

At this stage I am still unsure of what launch games to expect for either console:confused: The only ones I am really aware of are the cross gen titles and maybe one or two next gen only titles (Medium on Xbox and Spiderman on PS5).
    Strange situation to be in so close to the console launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think its a mega fumble personally. They had one flagship launch title (with, to be fair - a more and more dwindling popularity) and they didn't manage to stick the landing.
    Now that everything else is coming out on PC, they've essentially galvanized the idea that all you need is a PC and PS5 and you'll be able to play everything. Unless the console itself is priced through the floor in comparison to a mid spec PC, I cant see any reason why you'd buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

what price would a series x spec pc cost?

You don't need to match power. You can get a mid range PC that will play all games at high fps high settings easily.
    Match that with any game available on PC Gamepass

Recommended system requirements for Cyperpunk

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz / AMD Ryzen R5 1600.
    RAM: 16 GB RAM.
    HDD: 70 GB of space.
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.
    Direct X: Version 12.
    Screen Resolution: 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

recyclops wrote: »
    what price would a series x spec pc cost?

a quick google throws this back
    https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/this-is-how-much-itll-cost-to-build-a-gaming-pc-with-the-ps5-and-xbox-series-xs-specs-4018215

TD/DR
    1600 POUNDS.

and thats without a montior, keyboard and mouse or a copy of windows, so you can add another 300 notes to that if you want to take advantage of the 144hz refresh rates.

You don't need to match power. You can get a mid range PC that will play all games at high fps high settings easily.
    Match that with any game available on PC Gamepass

Recommended system requirements for Cyperpunk

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz / AMD Ryzen R5 1600.
    RAM: 16 GB RAM.
    HDD: 70 GB of space.
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.
    Direct X: Version 12.
    Screen Resolution: 1080p.

what cost would this be and would it be comparable to series X in say 2-3 years time. its something i want to look into as I am currently just going to buy the X and ps5 its just like the poster above says and most articles say to get like for like is silly money if the x sells reasonably cheap comparatively

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

There really is no point in comparing a PC to a Console and expecting the same price for performance, a Console is literally only made to play games, that is it, a PC can do far far far more hence why it appares on the face as more expensive, they are also upgrade-able which consoles are not

You also never pay for an subscription just to play your games with friends. Xbox One cost €500 upon release for instance, 7 Years of XBL which if we go as cheap as possible is a yearly sub for €50 I believe? Total cost of €850, games are also usually more expensive to purchase on Console rather than PC, it usually works out quite close over the lifespan of a console to the price you would pay to build a PC

I ain't knocking consoles, I have both Ps4 and Xbox One, plan on getting both the new ones too, but you cannot compare the price of them to PC hardware, its not the same and never will be

gibgodsman wrote: »
    There really is no point in comparing a PC to a Console and expecting the same price for performance, a Console is literally only made to play games, that is it, a PC can do far far far more hence why it appares on the face as more expensive, they are also upgrade-able which consoles are not

You also never pay for an subscription just to play your games with friends. Xbox One cost €500 upon release for instance, 7 Years of XBL which if we go as cheap as possible is a yearly sub for €50 I believe? Total cost of €850, games are also usually more expensive to purchase on Console rather than PC, it usually works out quite close over the lifespan of a console to the price you would pay to build a PC

I ain't knocking consoles, I have both Ps4 and Xbox One, plan on getting both the new ones too, but you cannot compare the price of them to PC hardware, its not the same and never will be

Oh yeah i absolutely get why they are more expensive, its was more the spec that was posted and how it would hold up in 3 years times or would more money be needed to be pumped into it.

Regarding the subscription i would be paying for gamepass for PC anyway.

Oh yeah i absolutely get why they are more expensive, its was more the spec that was posted and how it would hold up in 3 years times or would more money be needed to be pumped into it.

Regarding the subscription i would be paying for gamepass for PC anyway.

I would be more interested in if the Xbox Series X can really achieve 4K 60fps tbh, I have quite a beefy PC, 2080 Super, i9 9900k, NVME, 32 GB DDR4 4000Mhz and it struggles fairly bad to achieve steady 4k 60fps, like all PC's, I am curious what Ports the consoles will have to because they need HDMI 2.1 or a DP 2.0 to even reach 60fps 4k really. And most TV's which consoles are usually connected to, don't have either atm, select few offer it.

Anyone really interested in getting the best graphics for their 4k consoles are really going to have to invest in a Monitor or TV with the correct ports, assuming the Console has them

Otherwise it will just be upscaled again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I would be more interested in if the Xbox Series X can really achieve 4K 60fps tbh, I have quite a beefy PC, 2080 Super, i9 9900k, NVME, 32 GB DDR4 4000Mhz and it struggles fairly bad to achieve steady 4k 60fps, like all PC's, I am curious what Ports the consoles will have to because they need HDMI 2.1 or a DP 2.0 to even reach 60fps 4k really. And most TV's which consoles are usually connected to, don't have either atm, select few offer it.

Anyone really interested in getting the best graphics for their 4k consoles are really going to have to invest in a Monitor or TV with the correct ports, assuming the Console has them

Otherwise it will just be upscaled again

4000Mhz RAM? Intel only rate that CPU for 2666Mhz and anything more is considered an overclock and voids warranty doesn't it?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    4000Mhz RAM? Intel only rate that CPU for 2666Mhz and anything more is considered an overclock and voids warranty doesn't it?

Its not made by NZXT :D Its a custom build, you use XMP which doesn't void any warrenty, don't believe what you see on youtube

Its technically an overclock but not really as its a built in system on any motherboard made in the past what, 10-20 years

• Advertisement

Cyberpunk and AC will be the launch titles.

I spent 1300 on a pc build a year ago that cant do 4k 60fps. Thing is you don't need 4k for a pc because you're sitting at a desk with your monitor 50cm from your face.

There is a place for an series x in my house for sure. And ill be getting a hdmi 2.1 tv to go with it.

But if you don't have hdmi 2.1 then wait for the series S reveal. If rumours are to be believed, its the same performance but at 1080p.

There's something there for everyone. Key point is no matter what you plan on playing on theres millions of gamers all in on game pass.

i suppose i am buying a series x to future proof myself, i could get a mid range pc and keep pumping cash into it ( i have thought of this 100 times) or i buy a series x knowing full well that i cant get the most out of it day 1 but when 2.1 etc becomes more affordable i will already have the series x

currently have a one x and a fair chunk of savings thanks to covid so i am still leaning toward a one x and a ps5, other thing is the wife can abide a few consoles hanging around the sitting room, a gaming pc probably not

what cost would this be and would it be comparable to series X in say 2-3 years time. its something i want to look into as I am currently just going to buy the X and ps5 its just like the poster above says and most articles say to get like for like is silly money if the x sells reasonably cheap comparatively

With an even higher upgrade path

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have no need to buy this day one if I'm being honest. Incredibly, my gf will get more use of it now. It's all about Valhalla for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

With an even higher upgrade path

The way I choose to look at this is could a €400 euro gaming PC, built in 2013, play the likes of Marvel Avengers, God of War, Battlefield 5, Doom Eternal etc. to the same level as a base PS4. I would think not but am open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Dunno what all the fuss about 4K is, your eyes/brain don't even see that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Treppen wrote: »
    Dunno what all the fuss about 4K is, your eyes/brain don't even see that rate.

4K is not a rate, it's a resolution and both your eyes and brain are more than capable of seeing the difference over HD.

The way I choose to look at this is could a €400 euro gaming PC, built in 2013, play the likes of Marvel Avengers, God of War, Battlefield 5, Doom Eternal etc. to the same level as a base PS4. I would think not but am open to correction.

You are very wrong

You can hit over 100fps on 1080p max settings on Doom Eternal with that spec as one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

That's a €550 PC built in 2020 using parts from 2017/2018. And that's not even a fraction as powerful as the Series X.

He's on about a €400 PC in 2013 compared to a base PS4.

Not sure what you would have built for €400-500 in 2013, probably a dual core i3 with an AMD 7850 or something similar. Some games would run very similar to the base PS4 still. Others would be noticeably worse. Depends on the game.

EG - at either end, Modern Warfare would be fairly unplayable, while something like GTA V would run identical to the PS4 really.

PC's aren't the same as consoles and shouldn't be treated the same. PC's have no net-play costs, games are usually a good bit cheaper, and they can do all sort of things consoles cannot as well.

EG if you're playing your PC on a monitor, you don't really need 4K, you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference between 1440P and 4K. So you don't need a monster machine.

To run the latest games at 1080P max settings, even an €800 machine would do very well.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    That's a €550 PC built in 2020 using parts from 2017/2018. And that's not even a fraction as powerful as the Series X.

He's on about a €400 PC in 2013 compared to a base PS4.

Not sure what you would have built for €400-500 in 2013, probably a dual core i3 with an AMD 7850 or something similar. Some games would run very similar to the base PS4 still. Others would be noticeably worse. Depends on the game.

EG - at either end, Modern Warfare would be fairly unplayable, while something like GTA V would run identical to the PS4 really.

PC's aren't the same as consoles and shouldn't be treated the same. PC's have no net-play costs, games are usually a good bit cheaper, and they can do all sort of things consoles cannot as well.

EG if you're playing your PC on a monitor, you don't really need 4K, you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference between 1440P and 4K. So you don't need a monster machine.

To run the latest games at 1080P max settings, even an €800 machine would do very well.

I agree on most point, but you absolutely can see the difference between 1440p and 4k, and 1440p to 1080p is quite a big jump too, I cannot go back to 1080 after going 1440p, and would happily go 4K as soon as they launch GPU's capable of achieving a stead 60fps on 4K games, which doesn't exist yet.

But yeah comparing a PC to a Console is like comparing an Oven to a Microwave because they do something similar, its not the same, it never will be

Advertisement