Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There are cards that can run 4k 60Hz. I game at 4k on PC and it's not as powerful as some Nvidia cards and I can run 60Hz steady on games I play. The next cards released will be for pushing past 60Hz at 4k. There are even high refresh 4k monitors and Tv's released the last while just waiting on these cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

You are very wrong

You can hit over 100fps on 1080p max settings on Doom Eternal with that spec as one example.

I am confused. Are you saying a PC built in 2013 for 400 euro (and still retaining all the original 2013 parts) could run Doom Eternal at 100fps today at 1080p? That was the original question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

If people can't see the difference with 1080 and 4K then either get a 4K TV or your eyes checked. As for FPS, I'm a console gamer all my life, hate Windows and PC's so never went to PC gaming. But FPS isn't something you see, it's something you feel. I like my games at 60fps as it feels smoother, but I'm not fussed if it's 30. It's still playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I like my games at 60fps as it feels smoother, but I'm not fussed if it's 30. It's still playable.

If you can't see the difference between 30fps and 60fps, you should get your eyes checked.
    I'm a console gamer all my life, hate Windows and PC's so never went to PC gaming.

I know the feeling. I hate Ferrari and Porsche, been a Hyundai driver all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

JoyPad wrote: »
    I know the feeling. I hate Ferrari and Porsche, been a Hyundai driver all my life.

This goes back to the cost piece (albeit the differential is much bigger) if the cost for a series x pc equivalent is so high where does the value come in, its been mentioned the use of other platforms that I can agree with but is it worth the doubling/tripling of the cost.

There is also the effort/cost piece in terms of new hardware upgrade I would assume if you start you can't stop and want to get every drop of power from your new "ferrari" (there will always be a faster model)

A pc was put up, mid range one that will easily run games now (once cash is put aside for the monitors etc) but the question is how would that pc fair in 4 years time, because it would need to look at the tech in the series x and ps5 I'd say not too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

recyclops wrote: »
    [...] but the question is how would that pc fair in 4 years time

Once you've bought the "Ferrari", you can improve it by replacing parts. I could argue that my first PC, which I bought in 1995, lasted 20 years, but none of the original parts were still there, each having been replaced multiple times.

Anyway, it was supposed to be satire. I don't "hate" Ferrari and Porsche. I drive a Hyundai not because I cannot afford a luxury car, but because the small i10 is cheap to drive, takes me places fast enough, and I can replace it every 3 years with a brand new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

If people can't see the difference with 1080 and 4K then either get a 4K TV or your eyes checked. As for FPS, I'm a console gamer all my life, hate Windows and PC's so never went to PC gaming. But FPS isn't something you see, it's something you feel. I like my games at 60fps as it feels smoother, but I'm not fussed if it's 30. It's still playable.

I was talking about gaming on a PC monitor, not a TV.

Obviously 1080P v 4K on a 55" TV is more obvious.

1080P v 4K on a 25" monitor is far less so, to the point of tanking performance for little visual gain.

Hence why I said 1440P is the sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

JoyPad wrote: »
    Once you've bought the "Ferrari", you can improve it by replacing parts. I could argue that my first PC, which I bought in 1995, lasted 20 years, but none of the original parts were still there, each having been replaced multiple times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Just got an email from Smyths saying it is launching in November and more news coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I do have a pretty-decent-for-2014 gaming pc, In a direct comparison, it performed far better than my Xbox on the likes of GTA, Far Cry 3 etc, but I still ended up abandoning it for my Xbox One (and then One X and Switch).

Reason being that my lovingly assembled PC was also deemed to be the ideal powerhouse for my partner to edit photos etc. Damn multitasking. It was just easier for me to pick up the controller and use the box that wouldn't be usurped.

PC is now mine again, so it has crossed my mind to check on the upgrade path and how the economies there would compare to upgrading to Series X.

If i upgrade PC, I can also try out VR etc and I would still have access to GamePass on PC.

On the other hand, Series X upgrade almost certainly won't be as prohibitive and backwards compatibility is far broader that GamePass.

I need a price point, but I still think Im getting Series X........and then upgrading the PC. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I got myself a gaming pc last year cause im old and can buy what i want, then i realised im old and lazy so sold it cause the xbox is handier and my friends play it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I got myself a gaming pc last year cause im old and can buy what i want, then i realised im old and lazy so sold it cause the xbox is handier and my friends play it

I'm old and, cash flow permiting, can buy what I want. Doesn't mean I retain ownership though. PC was seized by wife. Switch seized by children. I was allowed to retain the Xbox. Mostly.

You don't really see FPS. You feel it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You don't really see FPS. You feel it.

With which organ? :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    With which organ? :pac:

You're hands, is anyone gonna get a XSX and not a PS5?

is anyone gonna get a XSX and not a PS5?

Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Will probably get a series S or whatever it's called if the price is right. Gamepass swings it for me, I'll play the PS exclusives in a few years when naughty dog release their next game and god of war 2 comes out.

Def getting the xbox at launch but might get both

Why are you getting a X over a 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

X around launch because it's the more powerful hardware so most games will look and play best on there, and then the ps5 down the road when there's a few titles out worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭dor83

You're hands, is anyone gonna get a XSX and not a PS5?

I'll be getting the Series X at launch, probably buy a PS5 further down the line, that's what I did this time round and it works well for me. I'm more invested in the Xbox ecosystem and with everything moving to the next gen with me it makes more sense for me to stick with it, plus GamePass is just amazing value for me and has saved me buying random games when I get bored, which was something I did a lot before I had it.

Il try get both at launch. Will preorder both and will be unhappy if I don't get xbox on day one. Ps5 I don't mind if I've to wait.

Is this for me? Always had both growing up, I was an Xbox person while my bro was PS. I like both but would lean more towards Xbox, plus I love Halo, especially with the backward compatibility.

It's better.....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

is anyone gonna get a XSX and not a PS5?

X on day 1, PS5 in Jan / Feb

Can’t really see any issues getting the X at launch but the PS could be a struggle if you haven’t a pretty-order by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

It's better.....:cool:

This exactly.

Thankfully for me covid has helped with saving that and the wife actually sees consoles as an investment now, only took 10 years haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I’ve had the original big boy, the 360 (x 2!), Xbox one OG and now an Xbox One X.

I’ve always loved the Xbox controller. I’d a PS3 for the exclusives but played anything I could on the Xbox.

But it’s an aggregation of small things - not all of which are Microsoft’s fault. The far superior PS4 exclusives. The fact that the biggest game in the early years had more content on PS. (for my group of friends at the time - destiny).

And now the game I’d spend most time with (most popular in my group of friends) is hamstrung on Xbox again (COD warzone). PS4 players can turn off cross play to avoid the rampant cheating whereas Xbox players are denied the choice.

The exclusive games line up for the next gen Xbox is utterly mediocre. And I know the Series X has the PS5 marginally trumped on horsepower but given the requirement to support the Series S is that going to be really tangible in cross platform games when the PS5 is going all in?

I tend to play one or two games at a time - I don’t have the time to play loads tbh. If gold goes free well that’s a definitely a bonus.

But otherwise. Meh. There’s just no wow factor at all. I just think, once again, Sony understand that people want big tent pole triple AAA exclusives and whereas Xbox are waffling about content, value and services.

Years ago they said they clearly understood the pitch was the best hardware for actual games and the actual games. They’d learned from the One tv debacle. Studios were bought up. The new Xbox would be the beast with a Nintendo-esque laser focus on launching with at least one mega title.

Now they’ve ponied up with the best hardware for lots of (mainly old) games and **** all triple A exclusives.

XSX will be better? Ha, says who? The X is better than the Pro but not by much, it's meaningless when you can't play Spider-Man 2, Horizon 2, God of War 2, The Last of Us 3, the list goes on, I love my X but it has F all games, I prefer it but to chose the XSX with NO games over the 5 with Miles is just insanity to me.

Tell me one game on the X that looks better than TLOU2 or Ghost of Tushima? Power means nothing, it's how you use what you have.

• Advertisement

If you have a decent PC then the PS5 has better games argument makes sense because you are focusing on exclusives and playing everything else on PC.

I think the majority of people will own one console and not have a gaming PC. In this case going for the most powerful you can get to play the majority of games (3rd party) makes more sense. PS fans made the same argument for the PS4, now all of a sudden being the most powerful doesnt matter.

Xbox are revolutionising the industry with services and unlike pervious attempts of innovation they are actually on to a winner. Its not just games pass but its also the games within game pass are moving to a gaming service model. There is already Minecraft and Sea of Thieves and Halo, Forza and Fable are also becoming game services.

Yes they need more IP's and until then PS is still the console leader. But at the same time, Xbox are so far ahead its almost at the point where PS is no longer even a competitor.

Advertisement