Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

I'm still stunned that I managed to reserve a Series X in Galway early this morning, over the moon since getting home with it. Tested 4K 120Hz display mode and its nice to see working on my tv, few teething problems earlier pad wouldn't connect at first, games downloaded patches and upgrades, tv decided to upgrade firmware at the same time, thought i had problems but everything running smoothly now thank god. Hitman 2 looks jaw dropping in high quality mode 4k 60fps, call of duty modern warfare got an upgrade and look even more stunning, dvr captures looking good, so far so good. The Samsung 870 QVO with Sabrient SATA to USB 3.1 adapter recommended by Digital Foundry to be very fast, it was no slouch with the one x either.

murpho999 wrote: »
    A lot of people complain about the UI but I don't get it to be honest, but I suppose I'm just used to it as I'm with Xbox so long.

You'll get used to it. I never have trouble finding what I need.

The UI was great with the blades back in the 360 days. They changed it to this late in the 360 heyday and the current one is probably the best version of that. My only gripe is they keep altering it slightly. It's only noticeable when one of your usual menu options gets moved, but it's annoying.

For example, they moved the party tab out and away from the friends tab in the most recent update. This is actually an improvement, but the old one was like that for so long that it's almost muscle memory.

Another one is the download queue. When you're downloading stuff, it always worked faster if you weren't doing anything else on the one S. Simply not playing a game wasn't enough, you had to actively quit out of everything, even the store or gamepass etc. This sped up your download speed by a factor of ten, sometimes. It used to be easy enough to find and view, but now, to view your download queue, you have to go searching through the store to find it.

1st world problem, but it's annoying as hell. Same with inviting the party to the game. No idea why they changed that from a two button press to something like 5 buttons now. Unbelievable, do the geeks behind these changed not play the console at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gamergirl23

kaddypenny wrote: »
    Update:

Gamestop An Post

"Your delivery has been sorted in Dublin Parcel Hub Dublin 12"

Your the same as me, wonder will we get our consoles tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Something not right with my Xbox

Installing and back making a constant noise

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

donnacha wrote: »
    We already have an xbox one x in the house but was thinking of picking up a xbox series s for another room. I have a game pass ultimate sub for 2.5yrs - can we use the same login/game pass for both (provided im not logged into both at the same time)?

Yes. You can also copy all or individual games from the one x over your home network with network transfer or external hard drive, very handy if internet is slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ozmo wrote: »
    Just found that myself - playing it now - runs so smooth.

Yes, but wow was the Invert Y Axis control option well hidden.

If you're looking for it go to Settings, Controls .

Go across to Edit Cotrols but don't hit enter and scroll down and it's there.

Surely I'm not alone in having to invert Y axis?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Username265

My MS order departed facility from Finglas at 9pm. Still scheduled for tomorrow. I was in the Cologne group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Amazon just sent me an email saying that then Xbox series X is available from one for their suppliers for 999stg!!

I've reported it back to amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Has anyone else tried Master Chief Collection on Series X. I known its due optimisation update next week but not running right for me at all here. Screen is really dark once you get past main intro screen and load into a game, no audio either

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

There’s no real “next gen” bang off the Series X at all. It’s faster, it’s a little prettier, that’s it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

FutureGuy wrote: »
    There’s no real “next gen” bang off the Series X at all. It’s faster, it’s a little prettier, that’s it.

To be expected. I game on PC as well as Xbox and I have had SSD's and better graphics for a long time. I even had a SSD installed in my Xbox One X. I know it is only a SATA SSD so the series X with a NVMe SSD will load a bit quicker. But I wasn't going in expecting to be blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Totally agree. When I booted it up and was greeted by the usual dashboard (even though I already knew that's what it was going to be), I felt a bit of regret.

Having played with it for the day though, I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Tetris Effect looks utterly stunning. First thing on the console that’s actually felt a bit next gen. I don’t know if it’s that big a leap over the PS4 version I played a few years ago or if it’s just that I have a much better TV and AV setup now, but either way it looks incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,172 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mine is in Newtownabby so should get it tomorrow just looking at a 4K tv now. I just have space for a 42” tv

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's A LOT faster.

Games I have played look a lot better too. Smoother, better lighting and the difference in load times is unreal.

Quick resume is literally a game changer.

I have had all Xbox versions and I've always been underwhelmed at launch.

It takes a year or so for every console to find its feet and for games to be released to take advantage of the system.

I think we're in for a good time with this console.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Played the new Assassins Creed for a hour or so, and it runs great. Loading is nice and quick, but its not much faster than my PCs SSD imo, but console gaming is now nice and speedy!

Played a little Bright Memory, it was ok, but pretty forgettable. Will finish it off soon enough.

Also, 1440p 120 fps mode works just fine :D on my TV. So while I won't have 4K 120 fps, 1440p is a good alternative and my understanding is most 120 fps games are running in upscaled 4K in anyways.

So overall very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The UI was great with the blades back in the 360 days. They changed it to this late in the 360 heyday and the current one is probably the best version of that. My only gripe is they keep altering it slightly. It's only noticeable when one of your usual menu options gets moved, but it's annoying.

For example, they moved the party tab out and away from the friends tab in the most recent update. This is actually an improvement, but the old one was like that for so long that it's almost muscle memory.

Another one is the download queue. When you're downloading stuff, it always worked faster if you weren't doing anything else on the one S. Simply not playing a game wasn't enough, you had to actively quit out of everything, even the store or gamepass etc. This sped up your download speed by a factor of ten, sometimes. It used to be easy enough to find and view, but now, to view your download queue, you have to go searching through the store to find it.

1st world problem, but it's annoying as hell. Same with inviting the party to the game. No idea why they changed that from a two button press to something like 5 buttons now. Unbelievable, do the geeks behind these changed not play the console at all?

Bring back the blade system. It’s never been anywhere close to as good as it was.
    The whole time UI is a complete cluster**** and reflects Microsoft’s thinking behind all software ie just lump it all together and let the users figure it out because god knows we can’t.
    I’ve worked in software development and various other depts within IT and I’ve used an Xbox ever since the first one launched and I can’t find my way around the UI ever since they changed it for the Xbox one. Complete and utter mess.
    Just read MS’s notes for each upgrade, every time it’s to speed it up or improve the navigation on it. And yet they have it utterly wrong,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

skerry wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried Master Chief Collection on Series X. I known its due optimisation update next week but not running right for me at all here. Screen is really dark once you get past main intro screen and load into a game, no audio either

Tried it an hour or two ago, from an ext HDD, and it was fine.

Halo 1 FWIW, if that makes a difference.

Only thing I'd say with games on the external is that when you first hook the drive up it should have asked if you want to 'maintain updates on external, or only ask when starting game' or words to that effect. Just in case there was a small update for titles such as Halo (don't recall seeing one though TBH)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

My console is now on its next Journey to Thailand :) roll-on Friday/Saturday! England - Germany - Ireland - Germany - Thailand. Hope it's in one piece lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

To be expected. I game on PC as well as Xbox and I have had SSD's and better graphics for a long time. I even had a SSD installed in my Xbox One X. I know it is only a SATA SSD so the series X with a NVMe SSD will load a bit quicker. But I wasn't going in expecting to be blown away.

not trying to be smart but if you have a great PC why bother getting a series x since microsoft exclusive is going to be available on PC now going forward

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Monolake

Has anyone picked up a Series S?

I'm currently without a console (except for my Switch Lite) and the S seems like an easy and relatively cheap way of playing Valhalla and Cyberpunk.

Long term (i.e. within the next year) I want to build my first PC but right now the S seems like the perfect stop gap solution. However there's still a part of me that feels odd about buying an underpowered 'next gen' console.

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I'm still waiting for my HDMI 2.1 Tv to be delivered and then I also Have to wait for my Xbox.

What TV did you go for ? And spend much on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Monolake wrote: »
    Has anyone picked up a Series S?

I'm currently without a console (except for my Switch Lite) and the S seems like an easy and relatively cheap way of playing Valhalla and Cyberpunk.

Long term (i.e. within the next year) I want to build my first PC but right now the S seems like the perfect stop gap solution. However there's still a part of me that feels odd about buying an underpowered 'next gen' console.

Anyone else in the same boat?

My Series S arrived before launch day and from the fast frame rates to the upgraded graphics this does not feel underpowered.

The GPU specs cannot really be compared to now last gen consoles as the architecture is vastly different and the CPU is the same one in the X clocked a little slower.
    There are also no performance bottlenecks in the console 1080p and 1440p upscaled to 4k looks really good and there is no shimmering on the edge of objects like last gen.
    Raytracing works just fine and apart from the upscaling it feels like a performance beast.

Rendering resolution is really the only meaningful difference and the upscaling is not like anything seen on the last gen consoles this thing looks good.
    The thing has Dolby Vision and 7.1 sound and it really can do 120FPS.

If you don't use discs and the smaller storage is not an issue on optimised games this thing is the same as the Series X.

I have been blown away by the performance on this little console I don't think you need to worry about power.

Having said all that the one thing I would warn you about is the 512GB SSD there is only 364GB of this free the rest is reserved for system use.
    I have ordered the 1TB expansion SSD at €250.

You can use USB HDDs and SSDs to store and play games off but games that use next gen features need to run off either the internal drive or the official expansion.
    Next gen games can be stored on USB drives but they must be moved to either the internal drive or the official expansion card to run.

A USB SSD will load up games really fast to play from all 3 previous generations except for games that have been patched to take advantage of the next gen magic.

I'm beginning to wonder if we're running the same version of the UX/UI as each other :confused:

Any of my active downloads show when I press the guide button - they're right there. If I want more details, I click into it. Even if it wasn't there, I can easily see all active updates by pressing Guide Button > My Games and Apps > See All. It takes 2 seconds, and I can't remember this changing anytime recently.

Likewise inviting a party to the game. Guide button > Go to Party > Invite everyone. This is something that has been the same for a very long time?

I really have no problems with the Xbox interface, and I feel like they've really added a few minor tweaks that improve it over the last while. I much prefer it to the UI on my PS4, but apparently that's not the general consensus.

Argos completely wiped out of stock at the moment, but hopefully some more stock will show up as orders aren't collected by close of business tonight.

4FPPino.jpg

TQ7Uj76.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This gen really is like just sticking a new graphics card and SSD in your PC.

It doesn't help that there isn't any series X games. Everything is just a previous gen game that runs better.

Hopefully that starts to change in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I have a reservation for an XBox Series X in Tallaght if anyone needs one. Has to be collected today

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭george67

Thor wrote: »
    I have a reservation for an XBox Series X in Tallaght if anyone needs one. Has to be collected today

I'll take it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RedLedbetter

Basil3 wrote: »
    Argos completely wiped out of stock at the moment, but hopefully some more stock will show up as orders aren't collected by close of business tonight.

4FPPino.jpg

TQ7Uj76.jpg

Cheers @Basil3 - what are you using to check stock on Argos? I tried a few old stock check sites but don't appear to be working for the X?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I only checked about an hour ago, and it was still saying end of tomorrow.

Also, the Eircode on the box and sheet bares absolutely no relation to mine. It looks like an English one.
    Something not right with my Xbox

Installing and back making a constant noise

Could be coil whine from a faulty capacitor. I'd RMA it, as it's supposed to be silent.

Advertisement