Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    XSX will be better? Ha, says who? The X is better than the Pro but not by much, it's meaningless when you can't play Spider-Man 2, Horizon 2, God of War 2, The Last of Us 3, the list goes on, I love my X but it has F all games, I prefer it but to chose the XSX with NO games over the 5 with Miles is just insanity to me.

Tell me one game on the X that looks better than TLOU2 or Ghost of Tushima? Power means nothing, it's how you use what you have.

Two of those games we know exist and are generic run of the mill sandbox, most of the
    Ps exclusives are and at that not even the best sandboxes of last generation. Those were multi plat except BoW

Beyond the last of us, God of war abd bloodborne the exclusive list doesn't just go on.

Xbox has to be viewed as a platform how you use the platform is up to you, there are games on the platform you can't play on Sony consoles, ori, quantum break, gears 5.

From your list you like sandbox so maybe sunset overdrive or horizon 4.

Realistically the Sony myth of exclusives boils down to how many sandboxes they can rebrand, I purposely didn't mention uncharted as you didn't but I actually find that to be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The biggest selling/most popular games are usually the likes of Fortnite, Minecraft, FIFA and COD not your exclusives.

If a parent goes in to buy a console this Christmas and they see the PS5 and a Series X are the same price and the sales person says you can get Game Pass with the Xbox for €100 for the year and that will give you 200 games it's going to be very attractive to the parent because they then only buy FIFA and get all these games for very reasonable fee and they won't need to buy games again that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, i am definitely getting xbox first, then ps5 down the line next year. Would it be a good idea to pre order xbox now? Or wait for more info and price announcements?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The biggest selling/most popular games are usually the likes of Fortnite, Minecraft, FIFA and COD not your exclusives.

If a parent goes in to buy a console this Christmas and they see the PS5 and a Series X are the same price and the sales person says you can get Game Pass with the Xbox for €100 for the year and that will give you 200 games it's going to be very attractive to the parent because they then only buy FIFA and get all these games for very reasonable fee and they won't need to buy games again that year.

I don't see it tbh, most kids will have already sent the parent to buy a ps5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah I'm still planning to sell XOX/trade up and get Xbox at launch (or near launch anyway)

Best place for multiplats new and old. Gamepass. My infinite backlog.

Nothing enticing me to PS5 for a while, I'll do as I did this gen and pick it up after a year or two

I hope Hellblade isn't too far away, December was rumoured a while ago but not much said since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Maybe I go to the wrong shops, but I don't really see this kind of debate going down at the tills.

Anyway, it's up to Xbox to communicate this clearly. This is what Nintendo do brilliantly. Switch launch ads were a thing of simple beauty. Guy plays Zelda on tv. Dog wants to go for walk. Guy goes out and takes game with him. Look! He's playing Skyrim on a plane!

Xbox ad needs to emphasize the vast library you have from launch with GamePass and backwards compatibility and somehow connect this with the rest of the family playing on mobile and PC. Possibly leaning more to ads for Gamepass than for the console, per se. Basically so you approach the till looking for the console with Gamepass, rather than asking for Series X.

I wont upgrade the xbox at launch, ill wait and see if there's a gamestop trade down the line. Im not into the Sony exclusives so there's nothing really there for me after that. Its amazing how strong a pull they are really but it cant be denied all the same. How did ms buy so many studios and end up with f all titles of worth. With all their money you would think they wouldve outbid sony on getting some of those exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Folks, we're all Xbox supporters here, but let's not be disingenuous. Sony has a big advantage and it doesn't just come from arriving to the market first; From what I'm seeing and hearing, the upcoming generation seems to be posed to stretch that advantage even further.
    If you have a decent PC then the PS5 has better games argument makes sense because you are focusing on exclusives and playing everything else on PC.

Entirely correct - me, you and most of the people here, I would hazard, are not at all a relevant statistical sample: owning multiple consoles, many with a gaming PC as well. Most console customers will own just one console and have no interest whatsoever in PC gaming. Many won't even know you can play 95% of PS or Xbox games on PC as well.
    I think the majority of people will own one console and not have a gaming PC. In this case going for the most powerful you can get to play the majority of games (3rd party) makes more sense. PS fans made the same argument for the PS4, now all of a sudden being the most powerful doesnt matter.

Yes...and no at the same time. The "most powerful" argument doesn't really hold up - the general public, those without a gaming PC and who will only ever own one console, decide based on games - or better, they decide NOT TO BUY the system that has the most "can't play this game on it" situations.

And when it comes to AAA games, there's no competition at all, I'm afraid. We can call PS exclusives bland and overhyped as much as we want but the truth is - they are all massive blockbusters. More importantly, they are mostly in the genres that console players tend to prefer.
    Yes they need more IP's and until then PS is still the console leader. But at the same time, Xbox are so far ahead its almost at the point where PS is no longer even a competitor.

In terms of platform, you are absolutely correct. In terms of customer loyalty, image, brand, I'm afraid it's the other way around. More importantly, Sony seem to be much more in touch with the market in terms of what GAMERS want, while MS are chasing the whole "service" horse, which while it is GREAT for enthusiasts, mostly leaves the average folk cold and uninterested. More to it later...

Again, it is incredibly disingenuous to think exclusives don't weigh massively on console sales. Both platforms allow you to play all 3rd parties, but one of them ALSO has a bunch of games the other doesn't.

Then, there's the brand...

Nope, the parent will buy what their kids asked for, and in most cases, it will be a Playstation. Such is the strenght of the brand.

The odd parent who just wants a "game console" and knows nothing about them, he/she will NOT be swayed by GamePass; The value and excellence of it are obvious to enthusiast users, but not immediately comprehensible by the "parent" whose last time playing a videogame was on a SNES.

To them, GamePass will be yet another subscription service to add up with the already out-of-control costs of mobile phones, Netflix, Amazon Prime and whatnot.

Even more importantly, MS are not doing a good job at promoting GamePass - they should be screaming from the top of every building about it, becayse they DO have a potential world beater in it. Yet, they showcase a bunch of games and go "these will all be available on GamePass on launch". Often even assuming people will already know what it is, which is not a given.

In the end, Xbox is quite by far the superior overall platform but MS are bottling it out once again by going the "services" route, rather than "hey folks, we have kickass games you can't play anywhere else!".

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Folks, we're all Xbox supporters here, but let's not be disingenuous. Sony has a big advantage and it doesn't just come from arriving to the market first; From what I'm seeing and hearing, the upcoming generation seems to be posed to stretch that advantage even further.

Entirely correct - me, you and most of the people here, I would hazard, are not at all a relevant statistical sample: owning multiple consoles, many with a gaming PC as well. Most console customers will own just one console and have no interest whatsoever in PC gaming. Many won't even know you can play 95% of PS or Xbox games on PC as well.

Yes...and no at the same time. The "most powerful" argument doesn't really hold up - the general public, those without a gaming PC and who will only ever own one console, decide based on games - or better, they decide NOT TO BUY the system that has the most "can't play this game on it" situations.

And when it comes to AAA games, there's no competition at all, I'm afraid. We can call PS exclusives bland and overhyped as much as we want but the truth is - they are all massive blockbusters. More importantly, they are mostly in the genres that console players tend to prefer.

In terms of platform, you are absolutely correct. In terms of customer loyalty, image, brand, I'm afraid it's the other way around. More importantly, Sony seem to be much more in touch with the market in terms of what GAMERS want, while MS are chasing the whole "service" horse, which while it is GREAT for enthusiasts, mostly leaves the average folk cold and uninterested. More to it later...

Again, it is incredibly disingenuous to think exclusives don't weigh massively on console sales. Both platforms allow you to play all 3rd parties, but one of them ALSO has a bunch of games the other doesn't.

Then, there's the brand...

Nope, the parent will buy what their kids asked for, and in most cases, it will be a Playstation. Such is the strenght of the brand.

The odd parent who just wants a "game console" and knows nothing about them, he/she will NOT be swayed by GamePass; The value and excellence of it are obvious to enthusiast users, but not immediately comprehensible by the "parent" whose last time playing a videogame was on a SNES.

To them, GamePass will be yet another subscription service to add up with the already out-of-control costs of mobile phones, Netflix, Amazon Prime and whatnot.

Even more importantly, MS are not doing a good job at promoting GamePass - they should be screaming from the top of every building about it, becayse they DO have a potential world beater in it. Yet, they showcase a bunch of games and go "these will all be available on GamePass on launch". Often even assuming people will already know what it is, which is not a given.

In the end, Xbox is quite by far the superior overall platform but MS are bottling it out once again by going the "services" route, rather than "hey folks, we have kickass games you can't play anywhere else!".

The games will take 5 years to come to fruition and even at that theres going to be some duds but I fully expect AAA blockbusters by then. They won't be console sellers, they'll be service oriented game pass sellers.

Notice how Xbox arent even holding games back for next gen? Flight Simulator for example. This will be another evolving game service.

There is a large percentage of PS owners who use it as no more than a Fifa games box. Sony are happy to sell the hardware but times are changing. They've some catching up to do because towards the end of this gen we are going to see xbox blockbusters that people actually want to play with updates at regular enough intervals to keep people subscribed.

It would be great if Sony could adapt PS Now to be like game pass and we could mix and match services depending on what game we want to play. With no need for multiple consoles, just use your PC, tablet or even a TV app.

I think Sony are just too fixated on hardware sales and while its still working for them they'll have no motivation to go chasing Game Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

The games will take 5 years to come to fruition and even at that theres going to be some duds but I fully expect AAA blockbusters by then. They won't be console sellers, they'll be service oriented game pass sellers.

Notice how Xbox arent even holding games back for next gen? Flight Simulator for example. This will be another evolving game service.

There is a large percentage of PS owners who use it as no more than a Fifa games box. Sony are happy to sell the hardware but times are changing. They've some catching up to do because towards the end of this gen we are going to see xbox blockbusters that people actually want to play with updates at regular enough intervals to keep people subscribed.

It would be great if Sony could adapt PS Now to be like game pass and we could mix and match services depending on what game we want to play. With no need for multiple consoles, just use your PC, tablet or even a TV app.

I think Sony are just too fixated on hardware sales and while its still working for them they'll have no motivation to go chasing Game Pass.

Xbox blockbusters? Like what? Oh another Halo (looks awful) or Gears 6? They don't sell anymore. Sony are the ones least focused on hardware, look at all the games they put out, the could of held TLOU2 and GOT for PS5 but no release them 5 months before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

No they couldn't it would have been a PR disaster sure we already saw the disaster pushing TLOU resulted in.

Tbh its like your honestly trolling in here. I listed a few games on xbox above you can't get on Sony consoles. Brilliant games but it looks like youve bought into the exclusive narrative so I guess xbox isn't for you regardless of having an X.

I suggest you play the games I've listed and if you have and disregard then then il be sure your trolling.

They don't sell anymore.

Obviously, seeing as they want everyone to sign up to GamePass.

recyclops wrote: »
    No they couldn't it would have been a PR disaster sure we already saw the disaster pushing TLOU resulted in.

Tbh its like your honestly trolling in here. I listed a few games on xbox above you can't get on Sony consoles. Brilliant games but it looks like youve bought into the exclusive narrative so I guess xbox isn't for you regardless of having an X.

I suggest you play the games I've listed and if you have and disregard then then il be sure your trolling.

Lads really can't grasp people actually are Xbox fans and still call them out for being ****. "oh troll" is the usual response, I have 3 X's in my house. I'm an Xbox fan, I have every console. MS f'd up, showed nothing good. I'm not a blind fanboy.

The only brilliant game Xbox has is Forza imo. Halo is crap, Gears used to be good. Anything else exclusive isn't exactly wow. Ori is a dull indie game, hate indie games, and Quatum Break was decent. They're not a patch on Sony's exclusives and that's facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know why someone would come to the Xbox forum and talk bad about the new console or ask why choose it over a 5. I don't go over on the PS forum so I don't know but I'm pretty sure there is no body over there saying why buy 5 over a XsX.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Lads really can't grasp people actually are Xbox fans and still call them out for being ****. "oh troll" is the usual response, I have 3 X's in my house. I'm an Xbox fan, I have every console. MS f'd up, showed nothing good. I'm not a blind fanboy.

The only brilliant game Xbox has is Forza imo. Halo is crap, Gears used to be good. Anything else exclusive isn't exactly wow. Ori is a dull indie game, hate indie games, and Quatum Break was decent. They're not a patch on Sony's exclusives and that's facts.

So they havent really f'd up,you just dont like the games!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I know it's all whatever ya enjoy playing but I never understand how anyone can say they hate indie games, there's an obscene amount of choice and variety in the indie scene. For as long as I can remember an indie game has ended up as one of my favourites of the year.

Like I said, Xbox need more IPs and with all the studio acquisitions it will come but its going to take years. They have even scooped up some of the best talent for a new studio working on whats being called the first AAAA game.

Until then what you get is game pass, the usual halo, forza etc and 3rd party games playing and looking best on the most powerful console.

If all you want is PS exclusives then I'm afraid Xbox can't help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Jesus lads, can ye give up on the accusations of trolling and all the statements of "facts". Hints: it's not facts, it's opinion. We're all just the same sad bastards pissing our lives away in front of a screen anyway. Having a row about who's the right sad bastard is a bit embarrassing.

I'm barely what you'd call a gamer. I'm in my mid 30s, married, with a kid on the way imminently. I've played a lot of Warzone during lockdown and I'll play Rockstar titles. I've long since given up on FIFA or anything like it. To me, games like TLOU, Uncharted which I've never played are individually superior to any Xbox exclusives, but I honestly don't care, I'm never going to be interested in playing them or have the time to.

I have an absolutely top of the range TV and soundbar (well, it was at the end of 2018) so what is most important to me is graphics, frame rate and audio quality. I think the Series X will give me that but I don't think there's any need at all to upgrade from the One X immediately. Same goes with the PS5. I'm an early adopter on most tech but just don't see the need, point or value when it comes to consoles.

One MS exclusive that I could be interested in will be Age of Empires IV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't mind the discussion and lively debate on this, but please don't call people trolls on here. If you do think that someone/a post is trolling, then report it and ignore it please. Myself or Mickeroo will have a look at it and decide what action, if any, needs to be taken.

People have their own opinion, and if it's different to yours, then so be it.

From my point of view, the exclusives that Sony have are amazing, and that's not something that can be easily replicated on the Microsoft side. Sony have been building their studios for 4 generations, honing their craft. Microsoft treated Xbox as a side show since the middle of the 360 generation to the middle of the One generation, not when Phil Spencer took over, but when he convinced the senior management to go all in on it. It's going to take years for that expansion to start paying off, and longer for those games to really shine.

As it is though, I think that anyone that thinks that Microsoft shouldn't succeed is a bit cracked. All of the innovations that Microsoft have really pushed in this generation have come about because they've been so far behind. Gamepass, the One X, the Elite Controller, I really don't think that we'd have seen any of these if the Xbox One had matched the PS4 in sales. Conversely, I've looked at Sony pretty much skating along in this generation, with few innovations. Excellent exclusives of course, but nothing beyond that. My ideal situation for this generation would be MS and Sony going neck and neck for years.

Anyway, I'm sure that it'll come as no surprise that a mod of the Xbox forum would stick with Xbox in the next generation, but being honest, I don't think it matters. I'm more confident than I've ever been that no matter which console you buy, you'll get a great console and there'll be some great games over the next five years or so. I'm looking forward to it very much now.

The only fact I really said was Sony have more exclusives and better one's at that, backed up by sales and reviews.

I am genuinely curious as to why someone would get an XSX over a 5. It's like when I asked why anyone would of gotten a One over a 4. I have every generation of console with zero loyalty to anyone. I want to like MS so I have something to play on my XSX but they're just failing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The only fact I really said was Sony have more exclusives and better one's at that, backed up by sales and reviews.

Most definitely, PS exclusives are reviewing and selling better.
    I am genuinely curious as to why someone would get an XSX over a 5. It's like when I asked why anyone would of gotten a One over a 4. I have every generation of console with zero loyalty to anyone. I want to like MS so I have something to play on my XSX but they're just failing.

Asked and answered really, not everyone bases their decision solely on exclusives. Gamepass is absolutely phenomenal if you're into the eclectic nature of it. The One X has shown that third party games play best on Xbox, which the folks at Digital Foundry say will continue with the next gen. The treatment that BC games got with Xbox has been incredible, with some games being upgraded to the point that it's impossible to go back and play the original versions, something which is said to improve with HDR coming to all BC games, regardless of generation. xCloud is a gamechanger as well, giving Xbox users an incredible platform to take the games they already own on the go, to the point that Sony themselves have partnered with MS to provide their own cloud gaming (beyond what they do with PSNow, I assume).

The exclusives thing is also changing, even if they're not the classical definition of "exclusive". A look at Twitch, YouTube, or even the steam sales chart shows them choc full of MS games like Sea of Thieves and Grounded. Might not be for everyone, or get the headlines, but they're definitely selling like gangbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

As someone who's a casual gamer and neutral on the console war, Game Pass will probably swing it for me. There's only a handful of games that I will put significant time into, and none are exclusives.

Grand Theft Auto, PES/FIFA, and Rocket League are top of the list of games I'll play. Two of those are on Game Pass, and GTA was there for a while recently. There'll be a few AAA games that I'll buy (the new GTA whenever it comes out!), but buying individual games usually results in them sitting unplayed, whereas with Game Pass I'll be able to dip in and out of lots of different ones and not feel like I've wasted money on unplayed games.

Microsoft should really hammer the promotion of Game Pass.

Game pass, xbox live, controller. Today I've played 3 new games on game pass with my son, had a blast. Of all the exclusives on both consoles halo is my favourite. I don't have any reason to buy a ps4/ps5 tbh

Edit: I would take a free one to mess about with vr

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Game pass, xbox live, controller. Today I've played 3 new games on game pass with my son, had a blast. Of all the exclusives on both consoles halo is my favourite. I don't have any reason to buy a ps4/ps5 tbh

I have gamepass since it launched and I'd say I've enjoyed about 10-15 games they've put on it, that is if I didn't already have it, it is great if you're into indie games but I'm a casual and most of my games don't go to gamepass or when they do it's a year later aka F1 2019 went on when 2020 came out. I'm not fussed on the controllers, depending on the games I prefer certain controllers, Xbox for racing/shooters, PS4 for analog intense games, platformers. I'm lucky I can afford all as I dunno how I could choose just one console.

I have gamepass since it launched and I'd say I've enjoyed about 10-15 games they've put on it, that is if I didn't already have it, it is great if you're into indie games but I'm a casual and most of my games don't go to gamepass or when they do it's a year later aka F1 2019 went on when 2020 came out. I'm not fussed on the controllers, depending on the games I prefer certain controllers, Xbox for racing/shooters, PS4 for analog intense games, platformers. I'm lucky I can afford all as I dunno how I could choose just one console.

I don't know any other casual gamers who have three Xbox One X in their houses. You must be an extreme casual gamer :pac:

I don't know any other casual gamers who have three Xbox One X in their houses. You must be an extreme casual gamer :pac:

It's easy as your saves are on the cloud so when I go to play a game downstairs my games and saves are there, easy, also they were only €90 from Gamestop deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's easy as your saves are on the cloud so when I go to play a game downstairs my games and saves are there, easy, also they were only €90 from Gamestop deals.

Damn I missed out. I bought at midnight of launch for €500.

Damn I missed out. I bought at midnight of launch for €500.

My cousin got the One at launch for like €630 with a charger and game, mad money, I waited. a year for Tomb Raider and got it for €300 as it was tanking in sales. Pays to wait. Then traded that for the S then traded that for the X. Then gave that to my Dad cause I got the Cyberpunk X. That'll do me till 2022 and I'll get an XSX then, hopefully it'll have some games then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

IvoryTower wrote: »

I'm on staycation with the family, haven't played much Xbox since building a pc, but brought a controller and played through about an hour of ori 2 on cloud last night. Super value and surprisingly useable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

https://youtu.be/KVFtv_DDOs4

A leak by monster energy drinks puts the price of the series X at $599.

Pinch of salt needed of course.

Advertisement