Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yeah, I subsequently watched a Digital Foundry tear down of how it ran across the X, S, PS4 and PS4 Pro highlight all the issues. Apparently it's locked into 60FPS on the Series X now.

Only if you enable performance mode in the settings, which limits res to 1080p and unlocks the framerate to 60. If performance mode is disabled, it'll only run 30.

groovie wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone know where to get a charging pack for the Series X, my older batteries don't fit.

Just buy rechargeable AAs, like IKEA Ladda, Eneloops. Far, far better and longer lasting than any charging pack and you can hot swap a pair of them in and out the charger without having to plug in the controller for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

rm212 wrote: »
    Just buy rechargeable AAs, like IKEA Ladda, Eneloops. Far, far better and longer lasting than any charging pack and you can hot swap a pair of them in and out the charger without having to plug in the controller for a few hours.

I hadn't considered that, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Anyone else who got theirs from MS still waiting to be charged? It was pending in my PayPal over the weekend but a few days ago the funds came back into my account. Delivered on Wednesday so maybe it takes a few days for them to come back for it.

Status is still dispatched on MS site. It still says paid with PayPal but I still have the option to change how I pay again but that option doesn't work.

How do you order direct? When I went to MS page it directs me to Smyths & Gamestop?

Non gamer here - Trying to buy the Series X for the other half for Christmas.

I paid the €50 reservation with game stop on the day pre-orders became available (was late in the day) Got an email a few days before release day to say tha I wouldnt get one on the day & I was in the que.
    I'm not in a panic to get it as its for Christmas but emailed to ask for a rough estimate of delivery & Ive heard nothing back.
    Anyone else in the same situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Only if you enable performance mode in the settings, which limits res to 1080p and unlocks the framerate to 60. If performance mode is disabled, it'll only run 30.

That's the One X, not the Series X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

groovie wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone know where to get a charging pack for the Series X, my older batteries don't fit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08K9WQ849/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

If anyone has a spare code for the One X anywhere around Dublin I'd very much appreciate it. Tks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

How do you order direct? When I went to MS page it directs me to Smyths & Gamestop?

Non gamer here - Trying to buy the Series X for the other half for Christmas.

I paid the €50 reservation with game stop on the day pre-orders became available (was late in the day) Got an email a few days before release day to say tha I wouldnt get one on the day & I was in the que.
    I'm not in a panic to get it as its for Christmas but emailed to ask for a rough estimate of delivery & Ive heard nothing back.
    Anyone else in the same situation?

Did you order in a shop or online? I'm in a similar boat, and have resigned myself to the fact that I'll just have to wait till the local store (hopefully) reopens after lockdown to get a proper answer as the online communication from GS doesn't seem to be able to give any answers for our situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Did you order in a shop or online? I'm in a similar boat, and have resigned myself to the fact that I'll just have to wait till the local store (hopefully) reopens after lockdown to get a proper answer as the online communication from GS doesn't seem to be able to give any answers for our situation.

Ordered online.
    I called into the Dundrum shop just before lockdown as I just happen to be passing & the staff were pretty clueless. They said that the instore & online orders are seperate & they couldn't see online orders but if I have the confirmation email that I'd get my order.
    I honest't don't mind waiting, it's the lack of communication that pisses me off.

That's the One X, not the Series X.

No, it's on Series X too. Jedi Fallen Order is not Series X enhanced, it just runs through backwards compatibility. It has the same two modes as One X.

- Temporal reconstructed (upscaled, from around 1440p I believe) to 4K locked to 30FPS max
    - 1080p fixed resolution with an unlocked (to 60FPS) framerate

If you run the first mode on Series X you'll get a locked 30FPS with potentially slightly better image quality due to the temporal reconstruction. If you run the second mode you'll get 1080p locked 60 on Series X, where it was only able to hit around 40fps on One X.

Shows why games haven't been bothering that much with even trying for 60fps up until now, casual gamers are looking at 30 and think it's 60 just because it doesn't have frame drops on Series X :rolleyes:

You can see how BC games run on Series X here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-one-x-and-series-x-s-enhanced-games-all-titles-platforms-and-details.24378/

Search for Jedi Fallen Order. You can also see Jeff Grubb here, he enables the performance mode which fixes the resolution to 1080p and unlocks the framerate here and he gets 60fps on Series X: https://youtu.be/sERHabi16nY?t=103

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

unfortunately m8051 is unable to collect.

so series X reservation number in Argos for Ilac Centre Dublin

1st to ask!

Will take it if it’s not gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No, it's on Series X too. Jedi Fallen Order is not Series X enhanced, it just runs through backwards compatibility. It has the same two modes as One X.

- Temporal reconstructed (upscaled, from around 1440p I believe) to 4K locked to 30FPS max
    - 1080p fixed resolution with an unlocked (to 60FPS) framerate

I'd have thought it just plays at 4k @60fp with that being the point of the Series X, you don't have to chose between performance or appearance, you get it all. It looks pretty smooth to me anyway without the performance option clicked. I'll compare later if I get the chance, but the guy in the vid you linked says it's going to run a lot better, there's no issue without the performance option as is.

With Horizon 4, you don't have to chose between either.

Digital Foundry guy implies to me that on the Series X you don't need to make the choice as it would be an odd confirmation to make considering you can already run it on the X @60fps.
    https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1320751272014848001

But feic it, someone like Digital Foundry needs to spell if out for me.
    [

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

First impressions, It's quiet. Idle at present, it's going to take a decade for the game to download.

I had trouble connecting to my WiFi, but after I shut down & re-started it magically was working.

Interface seems.. Meh. But who am I to judge? I'm just glad I got my hands on one.

Subscribed to Game Pass, well worth it.

Also, my USB-C Hauwei Earphones don't work with the controller. And there is no Bluetooth on the system. Bummer. Haven't been able to see 4K output as of yet. Looking forward to getting going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Amazon are useless, now saying it might not arrive until the 20th. They have no idea where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Amazon are useless, now saying it might not arrive until the 20th. They have no idea where it is.

I’ve had small items in recent weeks miss there delivery dates by a couple of days and they offer a refund imagine if they did that for an Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'd have thought it just plays at 4k @60fp with that being the point of the Series X, you don't have to chose between performance or appearance, you get it all.
    [

I think the point is that the game needs a patch or whatever to enable that. At the moment is just runs at either dynamic res 30fps or 1080P 60fps.

Where it will differ, is that the upscaled 30fps mode will now always run at the highest possible resolution at 30, while the 1080p version will be locked at 60fps with no drops like before.

To get the full 4K 60fps experience there will need to some sort of fix/patch applied. Some games seem to already have this.

Games that haven't been specifically patched for Series X will vary from game to game depending how they performed on the Xbox One X.

EG if game A) ran at at 1440-4k 30fps on the One X, it will run at 4K 30fps on the Series X.

If game B) ran at 1080-4K dynamic 60fps on the One X, it will run at the full 4K at 60FPS on the Series X.

Games that had no adjustment made for them, can only run at the best they ran on the One X and why you can't just straight out of the box run Fallen Order at 4K 60, even though the console is well capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

george67 wrote: »
    I have an Argos code for X series for Athlone for tomorrow

Thanks so much for the code. Got it collected today in athlone so its on the way to limerick now. Cheers :D

Had to keep my streak of having every console since the first xbox on release week :D:D

EOyiujz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Nedved85 wrote: »

Thanks, earlier today the review was 1 star and the reviewer said that it didn't fit, now it's five stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

lol - yeah I spotted that! I have one on the way - will update as to whether it works or not. I have used this brand for the 360 and xbox one and they were flawless. Let's see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Any recommendations on headsets? Around 50 quid ish..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

amadablam wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the code. Got it collected today in athlone so its on the way to limerick now. Cheers :D

Had to keep my streak of having every console since the first xbox on release week :D:D

EOyiujz.jpg

hope that back door is locked!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's a database error, but Argos Ilac Centre currently showing 5+ Series X's in stock

Thanks for this, I grabbed a code as soon as I saw this post and just collected a Series X in the Ilac now!

I might have a spare code for Argos in Naas? Got it today as a back up - it's for collection between Saturday & Monday - it says I'll get a confirmation text when it's in store - happy to pass that on when it's confirmed if anyone needs it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Any chance it's still available?

just got a text reminder. is being held in ilac centre till 6.30pm this evening.

please do post if you are unable to collect

2 Series X's available in Tullamore Argos

Edit: gone already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

amadablam wrote: »

EOyiujz.jpg

Go easy on the brakes ! Hopefully you've got airbags ready for that!
    Yes, definitely emergency travel and it'll keep you socially distancing for a long time. :)

Homelander wrote: »
    I think the point is that the game needs a patch or whatever to enable that. At the moment is just runs at either dynamic res 30fps or 1080P 60fps.

Where it will differ, is that the upscaled 30fps mode will now always run at the highest possible resolution at 30, while the 1080p version will be locked at 60fps with no drops like before.

To get the full 4K 60fps experience there will need to some sort of fix/patch applied. Some games seem to already have this.

Games that haven't been specifically patched for Series X will vary from game to game depending how they performed on the Xbox One X.

EG if game A) ran at at 1440-4k 30fps on the One X, it will run at 4K 30fps on the Series X.

If game B) ran at 1080-4K dynamic 60fps on the One X, it will run at the full 4K at 60FPS on the Series X.

Games that had no adjustment made for them, can only run at the best they ran on the One X and why you can't just straight out of the box run Fallen Order at 4K 60, even though the console is well capable.

Couldn't have said it better myself, spot on :D

Couldn't have said it better myself, spot on :D

Just goes to show, the game already looked great as it was on One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

DM_2092 wrote: »
    First impressions, It's quiet. Idle at present, it's going to take a decade for the game to download.

I had trouble connecting to my WiFi, but after I shut down & re-started it magically was working.

Interface seems.. Meh. But who am I to judge? I'm just glad I got my hands on one.

Subscribed to Game Pass, well worth it.

Also, my USB-C Hauwei Earphones don't work with the controller. And there is no Bluetooth on the system. Bummer. Haven't been able to see 4K output as of yet. Looking forward to getting going.

Why not wiredconnection with homeplugs

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

naughto wrote: »
    Why not wiredconnection with homeplugs

The only ethernet port is in the attic. Its freezing up there. I've a nice little setup in my room going.

EDIT - I'd no idea what a home plug was until a second ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

DM_2092 wrote: »
    The only ethernet port is in the attic. Its freezing up there. I've a nice little setup in my room going.

EDIT - I'd no idea what a home plug was until a second ago.

I swear by them, great yokes for certain houses, I have a WiFi one with 2 ethernet outputs on my one...

Advertisement